Pe@rson
Topic Author

Benefit Fraud: It's Intolerable

Sat Nov 19, 2005 5:54 am

The government allegedly pays £100 billion annually in benefits. This is, needless to say, a gigantic amount. It begs the question: of that sum, how much is acquired fraudulently?

While at university reading an undergraduate degree, I lived in a run-down estate. There were many people who seemingly did nothing but mend their cars, chat endlessly and walk their innumerable children. I suspected that those people claimed benefits – unnecessarily.

I find the fraudulent acquisition of benefits most intolerable: hard-working people have to pay taxes only for lazy, selfish idiots to scrounge off them and give very little, if anything, in return.

I believe that more work ought to be done to ensure that those who do commit benefit fraud are detected, prosecuted and, if found guilty, punished accordingly.

Depending upon the individual circumstances and the gravity of the specific offence, a custodial sentence, a fine or a community punishment might well be warranted. Furthermore, a partial sentence, in the form of the repayment of benefits which were obtained fraudulently, might be in order.

What are your views on benefit fraud?

James.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

whitehatter

RE: Benefit Fraud: It's Intolerable

Sat Nov 19, 2005 6:23 am

Quoting Pe@rson (Thread starter):

Depending upon the individual circumstances and the gravity of the specific offence, a custodial sentence, a fine or a community punishment might well be warranted. Furthermore, a partial sentence, in the form of the repayment of benefits which were obtained fraudulently, might be in order.

it already is...go to any local magistrates court and you'll see those brought up on charges getting fines and sometimes even custody.

One locally got six months and ordered to repay thousands of pounds. The DSS has a fraud section and has had for years. The cheat reporting line increased their workload dramatically, and you can even do it anonymously online

http://www.targetingbenefitfraud.gov.uk/

Current estimates are actually well down on what they were in Maggie's day (the 1980s) when the estimated percentage of money lost to fraud and error was much higher than today's 2%

Not perfect but getting there. Housing benefits now visit every claimant annually to check they are up to date and the right people are in the right place. It's much harder to scam housing benefits like some landlords used to.
Lead me not into temptation, I can find my own way there...

BigOrange

RE: Benefit Fraud: It's Intolerable

Sat Nov 19, 2005 6:53 am

Quoting WhiteHatter (Reply 1):
The DSS has a fraud section and has had for years.

They are a joke!

They tried to pin fraud on me one time, after I had closed down my business.

They tried to link me to another company in the same building, and couldn't understand that we were friends selling two different types of travel from the same office building.