Matt D
Topic Author

Why Phishing?

Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:12 am

I've heard all about "phishing".....bogus e-mails hoping to trick you into divulging sensitive info.

I also understand the meaning of the name..."fishing" in laying the bait and seeing who takes the hook.

And I know that people do it because....well....there have been crooks since the beginning of time.

But what I want to know is why is it spelled PHishing? as opposed to simply "FISHing"?

Was there a reason for this spelling? Did someone have an axe to grind with the musical group of the same name? Was someone just trying to be cute? Perhaps they failed English class?

Or is this simply the work of computer geeks desperate to leave some kind of mark on the world?

RE: Why Phishing?

Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:22 am

The answer to your question.

The first recorded mention of phishing is on the alt.2600 hacker newsgroup in January 1996, although the term may have appeared even earlier in the printed edition of the hacker newsletter "2600 Magazine". The term phishing was coined by crackers attempting to "fish" for accounts from unsuspecting AOL members; ph is a common hacker replacement for f, and is a nod to an older form of hacking known as "phone phreaking."
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

RE: Why Phishing?

Tue Nov 29, 2005 3:38 am

Quoting Matt D (Thread starter):

Make friends with brevity dude. Seriously.

Pacifism only works if EVERYBODY practices it