Tom in NO
Topic Author

Mooch Fired, Anyone In Detroit Care?

Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:04 am

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2239336

Rumor has it that Dick Jauron is to be the interim coach. And here I thought the Saints had issues.

Tom at MSY
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

KROC

RE: Mooch Fired, Anyone In Detroit Care?

Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:09 am

One person did on the Jim Rome Show. A Detroiter at that.

slider

Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:39 am

I'm surprised, since they can't start interviewing yet.

Besides, Millen is still there, which is puzzling.

dtwclipper

Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:56 am

This is a very difficult thread.

By answering, it implies I give a hoot.

I don't.
Compare New York Air, the Airline that works for your Business

j.mo

Tue Nov 29, 2005 5:09 am

When the organization perpetually sucks, does it matter who the coach is? Ask the Cardinals or the Aint's.

Go Broncos!

dl021

Tue Nov 29, 2005 5:20 am

Millen signs a new contract this year and Mooch gets canned. I'm not sure I see that....Millen probably ought to take one in the neck as well over this season.

I'd say he has another year.

I hope Mariucci finds another home somewhere soon, as he's a standup guy who had a bad situation there in Detroit.

I wonder if Mora will offer him a gig in ATL?
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

dl021

Tue Nov 29, 2005 5:21 am

Actually, Houston will be looking for a coach this year....I could see him there.
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

CactusA319

Tue Nov 29, 2005 5:44 am

Millen hand picked the players on this team and got a 5 year extension, even though the Lions have been terrible ever since Barry Sanders left.

Mooch coaches with what he's given (a team full of wide receivers and no one to throw them the ball) and he gets canned before the season even ends. Someone needs to blow up the Lions front office and start all over again.

I'm sure Mariuci will land on his feet elsewhere. Like Green Bay.

aerobalance

Tue Nov 29, 2005 5:47 am

Detroit has a team?
 Smile
"Sing a song, play guitar, make it snappy..."

Stretch 8

Tue Nov 29, 2005 6:32 am

I think the sad-sack Lions should simply be moved to the Canadian Football League. "Les Lions aux Detroit." I could see them contending for the Grey Cup in five years or so . . .

(By the way, Mooch had Steve Young in S.F.)
Maggs swings, it's a drive deep to left! The Tigers are going to the World Series!!!

airlinelover

Tue Nov 29, 2005 6:52 am

A few points here..

#1- It's football
#2- it's the lions
#3- it's football..

I really can't see anyone giving a shit about it, cause all 3 suck!

Chris
Lets do some sexy math. We add you, subtract your clothes, divide your legs and multiply

KROC

Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:26 pm

Maybe we should all get together and play Dungeouns and Dragons with you Chris while we drink Root Beer instead of the rest of country who likes football.

Millen getting his contract extension was puzzling especially since he picked a Wide Receiver in the first round of each of hte last 3 drafts.. Hmmm.

ltbewr

Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:54 pm

It's too bad the Ford family members whom own this team can't run a football team either. Millen should have been the 1st person to be fired as he is the one whom chooses the players and figures out their pay. Besides, how many guys want to play for Detroit, when you have places like Texas, Florida, AZ, California to play at. Also, when a team is bad for a while, few decent players really want to play there which extends your misery. So now they have no real coaching staff, the owners and General Manager has no clue, the locals are ticked off and the players are just going to play well enough to get out of there. It is a sorry situation.

Gunships

Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:41 am

The way things are going, can any of these be too far off?

The Los Angeles Lions or
The Las Vegas Lions or
The Nashville Lions...
Etc.
Etc.
Etc.

cptkrell

Wed Nov 30, 2005 8:42 am

Caught this one after a few days reinf'ing a water crossing and spending a few hours in the saloon...after living four decades + in the Detroit area I am fairly comfortable in saying "I couldn't care".

I do not know how Wm. Clay Ford can even look at himself in the mirror while shaving in the morning, unless his zillions are the only concern. Good grief...this team has done NOTHING since I moved into the area in 1965. They have had a number of GREAT players (the two B.S.'s for example), but the team could probably be judged at the bottom of the barrel for the last tens of years.

Mooch didn't have a chance. He inherited shit. The owner and team are still shit. And...I don't give a shit. What a disgrace that they are the original "perpetual" Thanksgiving Day host. Maybe when part of Detroit slides into the friggin" river and the other remaining part is claimed by those who will finally realize that the handouts are disappearing (rapidly in momentum as we speak), that miserable excuse for a team will die, too. Regards...jack
all best; jack

monorail

Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:30 am

Quoting Gunships (Reply 13):
The way things are going, can any of these be too far off?

I still see the Saints packing up and moving to the West Coast first before the Lions. While Lions ownership/front office may be inept and overly incompetent, I think they'll stay put after moving into a new stadium just a couple of years ago.

Quoting Gunships (Reply 13):
The Nashville Lions...

They already have the Titans
Playoffs? Don't talk about playoffs!

airlinelover

Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:22 pm

Quoting KROC (Reply 11):
Maybe we should all get together and play Dungeouns and Dragons with you Chris while we drink Root Beer instead of the rest of country who likes football.

Sure..

In all honesty, if the hometown teams did not SUCK so badly, (Lions, tigers) then maybe I'd give a rats ass what happens to them..

But, until then..

to the Lions and Tigers..

Chris
Lets do some sexy math. We add you, subtract your clothes, divide your legs and multiply