BNE
Topic Author

Paying For Use Of The Toilet In Amsterdam

Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:05 pm

I was in Amsterdam 2 weeks ago and found that most fast food restaurant and some others required a payment of 50Euro Cents before using the bathroom. Does this fee also apply in other parts of Europe.

Made an expensive European holiday even more expensive.

Also the bikes; there were so many bikes around Amsterdam, people were riding them even at midnight.  Angry almost got run down by 1 or 2 of them, it was a close call, had enough trouble looking out for the trams.
Why fly non stop when you can connect

ACDC8

RE: Paying For Use Of The Toilet In Amsterdam

Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:12 pm

Quoting BNE (Thread starter):
I was in Amsterdam 2 weeks ago and found that most fast food restaurant and some others required a payment of 50Euro Cents before using the bathroom. Does this fee also apply in other parts of Europe.

Welcome to Europe! Its normal practice to pay for the use of public washrooms in some European countries, this is usually given to the cleaning crew at the facility. In Germany, most restaurants (with the exception of fast food joints) malls, and stores have a plate at the front of the bathroom where one places it. Other places such as many Autobahn gas stations or train stations have a rotating guard rail where you put the money in and it lets you go through. At least the airports are still free.

Also the bikes; there were so many bikes around Amsterdam, people were riding them even at midnight. almost got run down by 1 or 2 of them, it was a close call, had enough trouble looking out for the trams.

Amsterdam is know as the city of bicycles. You get used to it, besides I'd rather get run down by a bike then a inconsiderate driver in a car back home.
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

mhodgson

Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:18 pm

A few of the large stations in the UK have pay toilets (London terminii and Manchester Piccadilly), but it hasn't caught on elsewhere in the UK, beyond a few councils installing toilet cubicles which require 20p before you can use them.
No trees were harmed by this message. However, several million electrons were terribly inconvenienced

Pyrex

Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:20 pm

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 1):
Its normal practice to pay for the use of public washrooms in some European countries

Not in Portugal.
Read this very carefully, I shall write this only once!

KevinL1011

Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:23 pm

there were so many bikes around Amsterdam, people were riding them even at midnight. almost got run down by 1 or 2 of them,

Whoooa! Dude! I'm sorry! Was that you? I just left an AWESOME opium den and had to take a CRAP! So I rode as fast as I could to an ATM to get money for the use of a well maintained shitter. Ahhhhh... and the double ply paper was worth it. Sorry, ugly American in Amsterdam.
474218, Carl, You will be missed.

nighthawk

Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:45 pm

next time you go to the loo and it asks you to pay, just pee against the sign in protest!

HAWK21M

Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:50 pm

Not out here in a Restraunt.
Although there are seperate Pay Public Toilets present.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

globetrekker

Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:57 pm

In Holland you can even pay by cellphone..... dial the number written on the toilet door and you get a pincode...... type in the pincode in the door and voilá... door opens.

This is sometime seen at trainstations.

Globe Trekker / AUA
The World Is A Book And Those Who Do Not Travel Read Only A Page

OYRJA

Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:59 pm

You are not forces to pay in Denmark either. But in some trainstations and gas stations they have people sitting with a cup and beggin money before they are the ones cleaning the toilets.

ltbewr

Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:04 pm

Pay toilets are basiclly illegal in the USA, or at least in almost all states or by custom. This is also the policy in the UK and Ireland per my recall. This no fee policy makes it very difficult to provide public toilets like you find as in Europe. In NY City, they have been fighting for years to put up the free standing pay toilet facilities as you see in Europe, but so far, no luck.
For many years up until the 1970's, gas stations in the USA used to play up that they offered clean rest rooms. Now, your best bet if you need to pee or crap are the rest rooms at fast food resturants, a malls, large chain stores (Walmart) or some of the few public facilities available run by government agencies. In some cities in the USA, many resturants do restrict access to rest rooms to customers only mainly to keep tourists and homeless out of them.

BCAL

Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:16 pm

Well it is certainly catching on in England. All the mainline railway stations in London charge 20p for using the toilets, Harrods in Knightsbridge charge £1 (but you can then use the 'complimentary' after shaves), and top-class establishments often have an attendant who will pass you a towel, brush you jacket etc but expects a tip of not less than £2 (I did not wash my hands to try and escape paying on my second visit but then the attendant chased after me!). Public toilets are fast being replaced with self-cleaning cubicles where the admission fee is 20p. Even at Brighton Station (my home town) the "Gents" has been given a spruce-up but a 20p fee now applies. Generally, the introduction of fees has improved the facilities as previously the 'free' toilet was a disgrace. I am prepared to pay a fee if this means better facilities but the worse thing is being caught short - i.e. needing to use the toilet desparetly but finding you do not have the change - try asking some vendor nearby for change and hear their reply!
MOL on SRB's latest attack at BA: "It's like a little Chihuahua barking at a dying Labrador. Nobody cares."

mhodgson

Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:25 pm

And typically in the UK the machines dont dispense change! They can spit out any foreign coin, but not make change. Not fair!
No trees were harmed by this message. However, several million electrons were terribly inconvenienced

ClassicLover

Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:26 pm

In Russia you have to as well... at least in Moscow's train station, I had to pay... I think it's stupid to pay to use the toilet.

Trent.
I do quite enjoy a spot of flying - more so when it's not in Economy!

A319114

Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:38 pm

Also the bikes; there were so many bikes around Amsterdam, people were riding them even at midnight. Angry almost got run down by 1 or 2 of them, it was a close call, had enough trouble looking out for the trams.

In The Netherlands, there are more bikes than people (I have 3 bikes myself), and we love riding them  Smile
If only those stupid tourists wouldn't keep walking on the bicycle lanes :P
Destruction leads to a very rough road but it also breeds creation

aloges

Tue Nov 29, 2005 11:19 pm

- public toilets, e.g. in train stations: pay 50 ct, more or less
- "manned" Autobahn service areas: cleaning personnel will put the infamous plate somewhere visible, thus asking people to give, say, 30 to 50 cents
- restaurants and bars: only very few will feature one of those plates, and that's a good thing because you pay enough for the food and drinks
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

sky0000547

Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:36 am

I don't like the paying to use the toilet idea. Will definitely not happy to pay if it is in McDonald's, restaurants or department stores.

msllsmith

Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:17 am

Pay toilets went out in the US about thirty years ago..... usually women had to pay but men didn't. Gloria Stienam (a prominent feminist .....) pointed out, "If we were meant to pay to use the toilet, we would have been born with exact change." Until then a lot of women I knew just used the men's room.... always a crowd pleaser.
There's nothing more beautiful than flying into the dawn.

MD11Engineer

Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:42 am

I rather prefer to pay 20-50 cents for using a clean toilet than being forced to use a dirty place.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

ME AVN FAN

Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:55 am

Does this fee also apply in other parts of Europe

it is widespread in Switzerland, usually CHF-.50 upto CHF 2.-- (Euro -.75 to 3.-)
-- in many restaurants you have to get the key which is only given to guests

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 1):
this is usually given to the cleaning crew at the facility

in Switzerland, it usually is a paybox, very seldom a person

aloges

Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:18 am

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 18):
CHF-.50 upto CHF 2.-- (Euro -.75 to 3.-)

I think your exchange rate is a bit off.  Wink
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

ME AVN FAN

Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:03 am

CORRECTED, using today's exchange rates 1.55 / 1.74 :
-
it is widespread in Switzerland, usually CHF-.50 upto CHF 2.-- (Euro -.33/-.29 to Euro 1.30/1.15)
-- in many restaurants you have to get the key which is only given to guests

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 1):
this is usually given to the cleaning crew at the facility
--
in Switzerland, it usually is a paybox, very seldom a person
-
-

ACDC8

Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:39 am

Quoting Aloges (Reply 14):
- public toilets, e.g. in train stations: pay 50 ct, more or less

This is actually one if the few things that really went up in price with the introduction of the Euro. When I left for Canada in December 2001, the toilets cost 50pf, when I got back in January 2002, they went up to 50ct.

I do like the newer ones on the Autobahn Rasthofs, you pay your 50ct, then you get a coupon giving you 50ct off any purchase in the store.

At first, it got some getting used to having to pay for the use of public washrooms, but it doesn't bother me now anymore. Just like having to pay 30ct extra for mayonnaise or ketchup at most imbiss'. Glad that McDonalds and BK offer them for free now though.

[Edited 2005-11-29 21:44:34]

fbgdavidson

Wed Nov 30, 2005 6:40 am

Seems common place to charge for use of restroom on the continent. I remember paying in Amsterdam and at TXL (damn Diners Club Lounge was closed  Sad )

Quoting BCAL (Reply 10):
Harrods in Knightsbridge charge £1 (but you can then use the 'complimentary' after shaves), and top-class establishments often have an attendant who will pass you a towel, brush you jacket etc but expects a tip of not less than £2

Harrods do? Since when? Admittedly it has been a few months since I was last in Al Fayed's bazaar but I certainly wasn't charged.

In my local town in the UK it seems fairly normal for nightclubs to have a little man with aftershaves, towels and the like but they've never held a plate out for cash or asked for money!
"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

HKGKaiTak

Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:09 am

Made an expensive European holiday even more expensive.

Get over it mate!

How does 50c (even if it equates close to *gasp* 1 Aussie dollar) per toilet visit make you break the bank on your Euro holiday? Even if you use it 10 times a day that's only 5 euros ... how much did your plane ticket over cost?

Quoting A319114 (Reply 13):
In The Netherlands, there are more bikes than people (I have 3 bikes myself), and we love riding them

thumbsup   thumbsup 

Hear hear. It's so much fun riding in the middle of Amsterdam and watch as the tourists wander into your lane and then jump 3 feet in the air when you whoosh past (not even quickly) - the American tourists are the most fun!!!

Cycle lanes are just that ... you don't step off the road into the traffic lane and expect not to get run over or even yelled at, do you?

It's exactly what we should start practising here in Australia (starting with the Harbour Bridge cycleway)

And it's so refreshing to visit a country where the population gets its lazy backsides out of cars and onto human-powered transport ...
4 Engines 4 LongHaul

AMSGOT

Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:17 am

Quoting A319114 (Reply 13):

Couldn't agree more! Big grin
Please remain seated!

NoUFO

Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:52 am

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 21):
When I left for Canada in December 2001, the toilets cost 50pf, when I got back in January 2002, they went up to 50ct.

No idea were you have been, but I had to pay DM 1.00, not .50.
I support the right to arm bears

diezel

Wed Nov 30, 2005 8:07 am

We just love bicycles:

http://www.duffergeek.com/hello/226/145/1024/Amsterdam%20329.jpg
Never be afraid of what you like. (Miles Davis)

BDKLEZ

Wed Nov 30, 2005 8:33 am

I think the point here is actually being missed.

If you can tell me that any toilet that you have had to pay to get into was dirty or unclean in any way, then you would have a point. The charge is so that the cleaning staff will constantly keep the place clean and hygenic for all customers at all times as opposed to walking into something that you could potentially catch a f**king disease from!

Money well spent in my opinion, especially when your kids need to go for a pee!!

bigthumbsup 
Trespassers will be shot; survivors will be shot again!

jwenting

Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:47 pm

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 1):
Other places such as many Autobahn gas stations or train stations have a rotating guard rail where you put the money in and it lets you go through

Quoting Aloges (Reply 14):
- "manned" Autobahn service areas: cleaning personnel will put the infamous plate somewhere visible, thus asking people to give, say, 30 to 50 cents

Those plates (or so I've been told many times by Germans) are actually not allowed (at least not with a note saying you HAVE to pay). The operator of the gas station or restaurant are paid a contract fee by the federal government for providing free restrooms.
While staff can ask for a tip, they cannot force anyone to pay it.

Personally I will never pay for using the toilet, unless maybe the staff went out of their way to help me (which they usually don't, they're normally not even there and what help would I need anyway).
It's their job to keep the place clean and they're paid for that. Normally they don't even keep it clean, I've often seen restrooms at highway stops that are so filthy I suddenly lost the urge to use them.

Quoting HKGKaiTak (Reply 23):
Cycle lanes are just that ... you don't step off the road into the traffic lane and expect not to get run over or even yelled at, do you?

People step into bus lanes all the time... And busses use their headlights at night, if you do so on a bike you're looked at weird (in many places).
I wish I were flying

ACDC8

Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:59 pm

Quoting NoUFO (Reply 25):
No idea were you have been, but I had to pay DM 1.00, not .50.

Where have you paid 1DM? I've never had to pay more then 50pf. Düsseldorf, Frankfurt, Köln, Oberhausen, Duisburg, Essen Hbfs were all 50pf. Not to mention the numerous rasthofs, einkaufzentrums, usw.

Quoting Jwenting (Reply 28):
Those plates (or so I've been told many times by Germans) are actually not allowed (at least not with a note saying you HAVE to pay). The operator of the gas station or restaurant are paid a contract fee by the federal government for providing free restrooms.
While staff can ask for a tip, they cannot force anyone to pay it.

Of course the plates are allowed. They cannot force you to pay, but it is customary and polite. Some of the newer tankstellen rasthofs have ones where you put the coin in and it lets you through, so you have no choice but to pay.

BCAL

Wed Nov 30, 2005 6:25 pm

Quoting Fbgdavidson (Reply 22):
Harrods do? Since when? Admittedly it has been a few months since I was last in Al Fayed's bazaar but I certainly wasn't charged.

The policy has been in place for a few years now, although toilets in the store's restaurants are still free (but for how much longer is anybody's guess).
MOL on SRB's latest attack at BA: "It's like a little Chihuahua barking at a dying Labrador. Nobody cares."

NoUFO

Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:48 pm

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 29):
Where have you paid 1DM?

Berlin Zoo Station and Hamburg Hauptbahnhof (Main Station) spring to my mind.
I support the right to arm bears

sudden

Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:59 pm

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 17):
I rather prefer to pay 20-50 cents for using a clean toilet than being forced to use a dirty place.

That should not cause any trouble as Amsterdam is a big toilet! The smell when you walk on some streets are evindence of that people do not bother to use the rest rooms.

Quoting Diezel (Reply 26):
We just love bicycles:

Sure true as 5000 bikes are stolen, PER DAY!

Aim for the sky!
Sudden
When in doubt, flat out!

AMSGOT

Wed Nov 30, 2005 8:18 pm

Quoting Sudden (Reply 32):
That should not cause any trouble as Amsterdam is a big toilet! The smell when you walk on some streets are evindence of that people do not bother to use the rest rooms.

You shouldn't walk around the red light district too often, sudden!  duck 
Please remain seated!

sudden

Wed Nov 30, 2005 8:46 pm

Quoting AMSGOT (Reply 33):
You shouldn't walk around the red light district too often, sudden!

Oops, you got me there!

rotfl   rotfl   rotfl   rotfl 

Aim for the sky!
Sudden
When in doubt, flat out!

ACDC8

Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:01 am

Quoting NoUFO (Reply 31):
Berlin Zoo Station and Hamburg Hauptbahnhof (Main Station) spring to my mind.

Did they at least have 4 ply toilet paper?  Wink

That's about what? 2% of the total bike population in Amsterdam?  Wink

ME AVN FAN

Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:04 am

invest in companies producing security-devices for bicycles !

AMSGOT

Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:38 am

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 36):
invest in companies producing security-devices for bicycles !

Great idea! My locks are usually twice as expensive as my citybikes.
Citybike = bike I use to get into town.
Please remain seated!

N1120A

Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:00 am

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 9):

Pay toilets are basiclly illegal in the USA, or at least in almost all states or by custom.

Actually, they are legal in many places, California in particular. What an establishment cannot do is charge a patron for the use of the toilet. If the person is just using the restroom, they can ask a nominal fee, and they often use coin-op lock out devices. If the person is an actual patron, they give them a token to get in

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 9):
This is also the policy in the UK and Ireland per my recall.

Nope. There are lots of pay toilets in the UK

Quoting Msllsmith (Reply 16):
"If we were meant to pay to use the toilet, we would have been born with exact change."

That is funny and true
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

acho

Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:22 am

In Mexico "pay toilets" are very common, in some gas stations you pay 2 pesos and the person there will automatically give you to squares of toilet. In some restrooms there will be an atendant, who sells gum, cigarrettes, etc. In some of the fancier one (Sanborns) they offer cologne, brush, etc....of course expecting a tip.

TPAnx

Thu Dec 01, 2005 2:17 pm

Quoting BCAL (Reply 10):
Harrods in Knightsbridge charge £1 (

Yes, but if you eat at one of their overpriced restaurants you get a voucher which lets you in for nothing....I lost mine...
TPAnx
 Sad
I read the news today..oh boy