MxCtrlr
Topic Author

Woman Sues Pizza Hut For Burnt Chin

Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:56 am

Yet another stupid, frivilous lawsuit. To sum up, the woman is suing Pizza Hut because her Stuffed Hot Peppers were, well, hot and when she bit into one, the hot cheese inside burned her chin. What a surprise!!!!!!

http://www.southflorida.com/news/sns...460724.story?coll=sfla-news-fringe

MxCtrlr  bouncy 
DAMN! This SUCKS! I just had to go to the next higher age bracket in my profile! :-(

BA

RE: Woman Sues Pizza Hut For Burnt Chin

Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:59 am

My gosh, that's even more pathetic than the lady that sued McDonald's when she spilled McDonald's coffee on herself and got burnt. Her argument was that the coffee was "too hot."

Some people are pathetic...  Yeah sure  banghead 
"Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need." - Khalil Gibran

yooyoo

Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:02 pm

The more i hear of these stories, it's not the people i dislike, it's the lawyers that take these cases on i truly despise.
I am so smart, i am so smart... S-M-R-T... i mean S-M-A-R-T

MxCtrlr
Topic Author

Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:09 pm

Actually, most of these suits get dismissed before ever getting to trial, because the judges realize how stupid they really are (or, in the case of the woman suing McDonald's for the hot coffee, she was also held, on appeal, partially responsible for her injuries).

Its basically another case of "Look at me! I'm an attention whore!"

MxCtrlr  bouncy 
DAMN! This SUCKS! I just had to go to the next higher age bracket in my profile! :-(

Falcon84

Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:22 pm

Quoting MxCtrlr (Reply 3):
Its basically another case of "Look at me! I'm an attention whore!"

No, it's basically someone looking for a cheap, unearned trip to Easy Street.

Lady buys something that is hot and pops, but she sues. Uh, OK.
Work Right, Fly Hard

MxCtrlr
Topic Author

Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:27 pm

With this kind of crap, they are going to have to start tatooing disclaimers in food coloring into each individual piece they sell, just to keep from getting sued by people like this!  banghead 

MxCtrlr  bouncy 

Alias1024

Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:31 pm

I know that the woman who sued McDonald's won because that store had been warned before by city health inspectors. They told the McDonald's the coffee was too hot, but the store ignored them because they could get more coffee from the grinds by using warmer water.

I wonder if this case has any background like the McDonald's one. Unless there is that kind of disregard for the safety of customers, this suit should be thrown out.
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems with just potatoes.

garnetpalmetto

Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:32 pm

Quoting BA (Reply 1):

My gosh, that's even more pathetic than the lady that sued McDonald's when she spilled McDonald's coffee on herself and got burnt. Her argument was that the coffee was "too hot."

Some people are pathetic...

Oh lord, here we go again. BA's yet another drone out there who blindly bought into the media garbage and the arguments of the morons toting "tort reform." The McDonalds hot coffee case was completely legit, BA. Do some actual research on it instead of buying into what you were spoonfed. Among other things, the coffee gave Liebeck (who contrary to media reports was a passenger in a stopped car being driven by her son) 3rd degree burns over her legs, thighs, groin, perineum, and genitals, causing her to be in the hospital for a year, requiring skin grafts and debridements, and two years of outpatient treatment. Liebeck originally asked McDonald's to cover her medical bills only but McDonald's turned her down, so she brought suit (again only for the cost of medical bills).

In discovery it was found that McDonald's had received hundreds of similar complaints about people getting burned and that McDonald's was well aware that its coffee was served at dangerously hot temperatures (180-190 degrees Fahrenheit - some 40 degrees hotter than any competitor) and that the rationale for doing so was to be able to render more coffee from fewer beans.

As an aside, here's what a 3rd degree burn looks like

I'm pretty sure that if that happened to you, you'd be filing suit as well.

[Edited 2005-11-30 04:35:04]
South Carolina - too small to be its own country, too big to be a mental asylum.

Jean Leloup

Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:33 pm

Quoting BA (Reply 1):

That lawsuit was completely legitimate, and she won for very good reason. You have her to thank for McDonald's no longer deliberately serving coffee at a temperature too hot for safe consumption (which is why it burnt her - It was her fault to spill it, but if it hadn't been at a temperature McDonald's knew was unsafe, she would not have been as severely burned as she was).

As far as this one is concerned, we'll have to see how it goes before the courts.

JL
Next flight.... who knows.

PSA53

Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:34 pm

Quoting BA (Reply 1):

No it's not.I heard today on the radio,that a man is suing,
who caused an accident,because the left turn light didn't
give him enough time.Another words,he ran a red light.
 crowded 
Tuesday's Off! Do not disturb.

Falcon84

Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:35 pm

Quoting Alias1024 (Reply 6):
They told the McDonald's the coffee was too hot, but the store ignored them because they could get more coffee from the grinds by using warmer water.

Maybe so, but the lady had the coffee out, LID OFF, BETWEEN HER LEGS, WHILE DRIVING. Why is Micky D's responsible for the idiocy of this woman.

A bullshit ruling to this day.
Work Right, Fly Hard

garnetpalmetto

Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:35 pm

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 10):
Maybe so, but the lady had the coffee out, LID OFF, BETWEEN HER LEGS, WHILE DRIVING. Why is Micky D's responsible for the idiocy of this woman.

Read my earlier post, Falcon. She wasn't driving and the car was stopped.
South Carolina - too small to be its own country, too big to be a mental asylum.

joness0154

Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:38 pm

Agreed. To those of you that say "Well if it wasn't hot it wouldn't have burned her"

well

If she didn't have it between her legs off in a car with the lid off it wouldn't have burned her either.
I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem

garnetpalmetto

Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:39 pm

Quoting Joness0154 (Reply 12):
If she didn't have it between her legs off in a car with the lid off it wouldn't have burned her either.

Which is why she was found 20% liable.

joness0154

Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:42 pm

I'd call it 50% liable, if not more than that. McDonalds won on appeal and she only got enough to cover her medical bills

Anyways, back on topic.

Are they going to rule that cheese was too hot for human consumption in this one?  Yeah sure
I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem

garnetpalmetto

Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:44 pm

Quoting Joness0154 (Reply 14):
I'd call it 50% liable, if not more than that. McDonalds won on appeal and she only got enough to cover her medical bills

Swing and a miss. Again. The judge reduced the punitive damages awarded to Liebeck, McDonald's appealed but before it was heard it was settled out of court.

mbmbos

Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:45 pm

Quoting Joness0154 (Reply 14):

The woman only asked for enough to cover her medical expenses. The jury awarded her much more because they were outraged at McDonald's arrogance in the matter.
"If I don't manage to fly, someone else will. The spirit wants only for there to be flying. As for who happens to do it, in that he has only a passing interest."
- R.M. Rilke

garnetpalmetto

Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:46 pm

Quoting MBMBOS (Reply 16):
The woman only asked for enough to cover her medical expenses. The jury awarded her much more because they were outraged at McDonald's arrogance in the matter.

Bingo. IIRC, one of their arguments was that because she was 79 she didn't have much use for her genitals anymore. Who cares if those were burnt to a crisp?

Falcon84

Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:50 pm

Quoting Garnetpalmetto (Reply 7):

In this case, my friend, the lady BURNED HER CHIN! I'll bet it didn't look like that.

Both are crap.

If people can't figure out something they bought that is supposed to be hot could burn them-but then blame someone else for, what is in effect, their own actions, then they're on the low end of the gene pool.
Work Right, Fly Hard

garnetpalmetto

Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:52 pm

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 18):
If people can't figure out something they bought that is supposed to be hot could burn them-but then blame someone else for, what is in effect, their own actions, then they're on the low end of the gene pool.

But again, at least in the McDonald's case (we hardly know enough about the Pizza Hut case to fully pass judgment) the argument was that if McDonald's served its coffee at the temperature every other fast food chain in the nation served it at, Liebeck's injuries would have been lessened, if not eliminated altogether.

A332

Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:59 pm

Quoting Garnetpalmetto (Reply 19):
But again, at least in the McDonald's case (we hardly know enough about the Pizza Hut case to fully pass judgment) the argument was that if McDonald's served its coffee at the temperature every other fast food chain in the nation served it at, Liebeck's injuries would have been lessened, if not eliminated altogether.

It was still a ridiculous ruling and opened the door for any idiot American to attempt to sue big corporations for their own personal stupidity.
Bad spellers of the world... UNTIE!

EZEIZA

Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:05 pm

Wasn't there a guy who sued a car manufacturer because he thought the cruise control of the car was an auto pilot or something like that and then crashed and actually won the case?
Carp aunque ganes o pierdas ...

A332

Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:09 pm

Quoting EZEIZA (Reply 21):
Wasn't there a guy who sued a car manufacturer because he thought the cruise control of the car was an auto pilot or something like that and then crashed and actually won the case?

That's an urban legend.

http://www.snopes.com/autos/techno/cruise.asp
Bad spellers of the world... UNTIE!

clipperhawaii

Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:14 pm

No! Not if it's my fault. This lady is just a moron and does not want to take accountability for her OWN actions. Pathetic.

Quoting Jean Leloup (Reply 8):
That lawsuit was completely legitimate, and she won for very good reason. You have her to thank for McDonald's no longer deliberately serving coffee at a temperature too hot for safe consumption (which is why it burnt her - It was her fault to spill it, but if it hadn't been at a temperature McDonald's knew was unsafe, she would not have been as severely burned as she was).

Duh! All coffee is HOT be it 180 degress or 240 degres. Another moron with no brain and no personal accountability.

Maybe so, but the lady had the coffee out, LID OFF, BETWEEN HER LEGS, WHILE DRIVING.

That's right she was another Darwin award winner.

They all cry and blame someone else for their own absolute stupidity.

This lady will probably win her suit too. Saving grace is the she and people like her sure did get a whole lot of pain.
"You Can't Beat The Experience"

EZEIZA

Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:15 pm

Quoting A332 (Reply 22):
Quoting EZEIZA (Reply 21):

That's an urban legend.

http://www.snopes.com/autos/techno/c...e.asp

Thanks for that  Smile
Carp aunque ganes o pierdas ...

garnetpalmetto

Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:19 pm

Quoting Clipperhawaii (Reply 23):
No! Not if it's my fault. This lady is just a moron and does not want to take accountability for her OWN actions. Pathetic.

I'll reserve judgment but suffice to say I find that rather hard to believe. Again, if the company had received hundreds of complaints from people who had similar burns as you received and you knew for a fact that their coffee is served at a temperatuer that can cause 3rd degree burns in seconds, you'd suck it up and live with being unable to walk and rather painful burns?

mdsh00

Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:22 pm

I've burned the tip of my tounge drinking Starbucks before. I guess I should go and sue them.  Yeah sure

Either way, look next year for new "lawyer-proof" warnings on the pizza box.
"Look Lois, the two symbols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a big fat white guy who is threatened by change."

airlinelover

Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:23 pm

As requested..

Chris
Lets do some sexy math. We add you, subtract your clothes, divide your legs and multiply

MxCtrlr
Topic Author

Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:29 pm

Quoting Mdsh00 (Reply 26):
Either way, look next year for new "lawyer-proof" warnings on the pizza box.

Yeah...Something stupid like "Caution: This hot pizza may actually be hot"

It has always amazed me that on every McDonald's HOT Apple Pie has the warning: "CAUTION: Contents may be extremely hot!" No duh! Imagine a Hot Apple Pie being actually HOT! Maybe I can sue McDonald's because my Hot Apple Pie isn't hot???

MxCtrlr  bouncy 

KevinL1011

Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:29 pm

I'll betcha she had JUST polished off a six pack of Twinkies and became dillusional. And.....it was probably the "Meat lovers" pizza so all of that hot animal fat was like napalm!
474218, Carl, You will be missed.

BA

Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:05 pm

Oh lord, here we go again. BA's yet another drone out there who blindly bought into the media garbage and the arguments of the morons toting "tort reform." The McDonalds hot coffee case was completely legit, BA. Do some actual research on it instead of buying into what you were spoonfed. Among other things, the coffee gave Liebeck (who contrary to media reports was a passenger in a stopped car being driven by her son) 3rd degree burns over her legs, thighs, groin, perineum, and genitals, causing her to be in the hospital for a year, requiring skin grafts and debridements, and two years of outpatient treatment. Liebeck originally asked McDonald's to cover her medical bills only but McDonald's turned her down, so she brought suit (again only for the cost of medical bills).

In discovery it was found that McDonald's had received hundreds of similar complaints about people getting burned and that McDonald's was well aware that its coffee was served at dangerously hot temperatures (180-190 degrees Fahrenheit - some 40 degrees hotter than any competitor) and that the rationale for doing so was to be able to render more coffee from fewer beans.

I admit, I did not know the details, and you make a compelling argument, however suppose the coffee was at its normal hot temperature (and not at the excessively high temperature that McDonald's location had been serving coffee at), she still would have gotten a very bad burn and my guess is she still would have sued McDonald's for it.

The fact is coffee always has to be hot. It doesn't brew properly if it isn't hot and I've burnt myself from coffee before, but I don't blame anyone else for it. It's my mistake that I spilled some of it on myself.

If that specific McDonald's location (or McDonald's in general) was serving coffee at temperatures that are too hot and were warned by city health inspectors to serve coffee at lower temperatures and they didn't comply, then action by those city health inspectors should be taken, but that's a completely different issue.

The way I see it, she sued McDonald's because hot McDonald's coffee spilled on her and burnt her. Had the temperature of the coffee been 40 degrees lower, she STILL would have gotten burnt!

The fact is while McDonald's may be held liable for serving coffee that is at dangerously hot temperatures, it was still her fault that she spilled coffee on herself and not McDonald's or anybody else's fault. Coffee is always hot (unless you order ice coffee). If you spill it on yourself, you will get burnt.

Actually I wouldn't because it wouldn't be McDonald's fault for me spilling coffee on myself. It would be my fault and my fault only.

Quoting Psa53 (Reply 9):
No it's not.I heard today on the radio,that a man is suing,
who caused an accident,because the left turn light didn't
give him enough time.Another words,he ran a red light.

My oh my, I see that all too often when I'm driving. If I got a dime for everytime a driver runs a left red signal on an intersection, I'd drop out of college and retire.  Smile

I've burned the tip of my tounge drinking Starbucks before. I guess I should go and sue them.

Be creative and sue the coffee maker manufacturer.

bitelip 

Quoting MxCtrlr (Reply 28):
Yeah...Something stupid like "Caution: This hot pizza may actually be hot"

I believe McDonald's coffee cups now state a warning about the coffee being hot.  Smile

Quoting MxCtrlr (Reply 28):
It has always amazed me that on every McDonald's HOT Apple Pie has the warning: "CAUTION: Contents may be extremely hot!" No duh! Imagine a Hot Apple Pie being actually HOT! Maybe I can sue McDonald's because my Hot Apple Pie isn't hot???

I once burnt myself a little when eating a McDonald's Hot Apple Pie, but saw the warning label and realized I couldn't sue them since they had warned me beforehand. I said "Oh darn it..."  Silly
"Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need." - Khalil Gibran

ShyFlyer

Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:52 pm

Quoting BA (Reply 30):
Be creative and sue the coffee maker manufacturer

That or Juan Valdez.  Big grin
I lift things up and put them down.

kiwiinoz

Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:55 pm

There is no way a stuffed pepper is gonna do that to her chin.

I'm not sure which is more correct, the highly litigeous society, (like USA) or a much less protected society.

However, one thing I can say for sure. A society that needs a greater level of protection from trivial stuff like this will eventuially become less innovative, poor at risk taking, and more reliant on governments and institutions to guide them through life. Definitely the trade off for a "safer" environment.

NWOrientDC10

Wed Nov 30, 2005 3:06 pm

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 4):
No, it's basically someone looking for a cheap, unearned trip to Easy Street.

What's wrong with that? Maybe I wanna rid the gravy train, too  wink 

Quoting Airlinelover (Reply 27):
As requested..

Chris

lol

Seasons Greetings

Russell's Attorney  hyper 
Things aren't always as they seem

garnetpalmetto

Wed Nov 30, 2005 3:24 pm

Quoting KiwiinOz (Reply 32):
There is no way a stuffed pepper is gonna do that to her chin.

Read the post again, I posted the 3rd degree burn pic in reference to the McDonald's case, NOT the Pizza Hut case.

N1120A

Wed Nov 30, 2005 3:28 pm

Quoting BA (Reply 30):
she still would have gotten a very bad burn and my guess is she still would have sued McDonald's for it.

Let me put it this way. I can sometimes be a bit of a clutz and have spilled coffee on myself at least once a week for the past 6 weeks (yes, I noticed). This is fresh coffee, straight out of a commercial machine. This coffee doesn't even leave a mark on my skin. It stings for a second and is gone. It is also not near the temperature that the McDonald's coffee was. Additionally, their cups were also found to be lacking in the necessary strength to handle such coffee, where as cups from places like Starbucks and the place I use are much stronger (along with McDonald's new cups).
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

kiwiandrew

Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:16 pm

I've burned the tip of my tounge drinking Starbucks before. I guess I should go and sue them.

you wouldn't win , drinking Star*ucks 'coffee' is accepted as proof of criminal insanity in most jurisdictions .
 Big grin

ZKSUJ

Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:08 pm

Man, this is hilarious. It's like the people who sued an airline for a hard landing. Ridiculous!!!

aloges

Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:12 pm

Interesting... I should consider sueing the supermarket that sold me the Lasagna that burnt a small part of my lower lip some time ago, shouldn't I?  scratchchin 
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

flyingbabydoc

Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:21 pm

Quoting YooYoo (Reply 2):
it's the lawyers that take these cases on i truly despise.

What do they have to lose? As far as I understand it is a win-win situation for the attorney, he/she will get their fees no matter what the outcome is, right?

(I mean no offense here: my family is composed exclusively of lawyers, my wife and I are the white sheep)

Alex
Marriage is the art of turning a lover into a relative

MD11Engineer

Wed Nov 30, 2005 8:51 pm

Funny thing: If I prepare coffee or tea I use boiling water (100�C). If I prepare espresso I use even hotter water (due to it being under pressure).
I can't imagine preparing coffee or tea with lukewarm water.

Coffee and tea ARE HOT.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

halls120

Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:20 pm

Even though she was a passenger, I concur. Back when my kids were young, we didn't the McD thing frequently. Even though their coffee sucks, if it was in the morning at a swim meet, I usually bought some coffee. Because I could tell their coffee was hot, I NEVER opened the lid until it had a chance to cool down.

Quoting Joness0154 (Reply 12):
If she didn't have it between her legs off in a car with the lid off it wouldn't have burned her either

Concur again.

Quoting Garnetpalmetto (Reply 13):
Which is why she was found 20% liable

Which is the result of our ridiculous tort laws. Had she kept the lid on the coffee until she was somewhere where it could be consumed safely, she wouldn't have been burned.

Quoting Garnetpalmetto (Reply 19):

When you hold a styrofoam cup full of very hot liquid, only a moron doesn't realize that the substance inside is hot.

Quoting Garnetpalmetto (Reply 25):
Again, if the company had received hundreds of complaints from people who had similar burns as you received and you knew for a fact that their coffee is served at a temperature that can cause 3rd degree burns in seconds, you'd suck it up and live with being unable to walk and rather painful burns?

No, I'd be smart enough NOT TO TAKE THE LID OFF WHILE SITTING IN A VEHICLE!

Quoting Flyingbabydoc (Reply 39):
What do they have to lose? As far as I understand it is a win-win situation for the attorney, he/she will get their fees no matter what the outcome is, right?

Not in most tort litigation. Attorneys who take cases like this one usually only get paid (25-33% of the settlement, plus expenses) if they win the case.
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

ariis

Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:18 pm

Quoting BA (Reply 1):
Some people are pathetic...

I'm sure you and many others would review opinions if you saw the piles of money that could potentially be received with such a 'pathetic' move (in the US, I mean).

The woman is looking for the money, she doesn't give a s* about her burnt chin, hot cheese, what others say, anything. She could as well intentionally squeeze the cheese out to burn even more, for better effect.

What is pathetic, is the law that allows both stupid and greedy people sue companies for millions, and win.

FAO
FAO - Flight Activities Officer

md80fanatic

Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:32 pm

Quoting Garnetpalmetto (Reply 17):
Quoting MBMBOS (Reply 16):

Bingo. IIRC, one of their arguments was that because she was 79 she didn't have much use for her genitals anymore. Who cares if those were burnt to a crisp?

At 79, I doubt this was her first cup of McDonald's scalding hot coffee. Why on this occasion did she carelessly handle the cup? Failing memory perhaps? I'd pronounce her 100% liable. At her age she should have known better. It wasn't like a huge coffee machine tipped over and spilled it's hot contents on her while standing in line for a meal, that would be actionable...but this is personal responsibility.

halls120

Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:48 pm

Quoting MD80fanatic (Reply 43):
It wasn't like a huge coffee machine tipped over and spilled it's hot contents on her while standing in line for a meal, that would be actionable...but this is personal responsibility.

Now there you go again, injecting the foreign and abhorrent concept of personal responsibility. That is, like, so early 20th century. Don't you realize that in the new millennium, people are NEVER held responsible for the outcome of their own actions? It's ALWAYS someone else's fault!
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

flyingbabydoc

Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:12 am

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 44):
Don't you realize that in the new millennium, people are NEVER held responsible for the outcome of their own actions? It's ALWAYS someone else's fault!

How right you are! It never ceases to amaze me: baby rolls off the changing board because mom is talking on the phone: the blame lays on the board, because it is inches higher on one side!

This actually happened, and the woman had the balls one of my colleagues to ask if she should sue. She was told she should be happy there was no complain of child abuse and neglect against her. She quieted down in no-time.

Alex
Marriage is the art of turning a lover into a relative

srbmod

Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:11 am

I guess I can sue them for the cheese on the pizza being so hot that it burned and stuck to the roof of my mouth.......

Quoting BA (Reply 30):
If that specific McDonald's location (or McDonald's in general) was serving coffee at temperatures that are too hot and were warned by city health inspectors to serve coffee at lower temperatures and they didn't comply, then action by those city health inspectors should be taken, but that's a completely different issue.

The way I see it, she sued McDonald's because hot McDonald's coffee spilled on her and burnt her. Had the temperature of the coffee been 40 degrees lower, she STILL would have gotten burnt!

Instead of sueing McDonald's, she should have sure the company who made the coffeemaker (Probably Bunn, as that seems to be the brand that is in many fast food outlets [the other is Bloomfield]) for making it so that the folks at the McDonald's could adjust the temperature of the coffee (you can also adjust the brew time as well, just a little side note).

eaglekeeper101

Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:06 am

And now, the flip side of this debate (either that or some small hope that America might just survive this century) - the balloon accident at the Macy's Thanksgiving Parade last week...

"The accident happened in Times Square near the end of the parade when the tethers on the 'M&M's Chocolate Candies' balloon became tangled in the head of the streetlamp and it broke off. Authorities said the sisters were hit by debris. Sarah needed nine stitches on her head, her father, Stephen Chamberlain, said Thursday night. Her older sister, who uses a wheelchair, got a bump on her forehead, he said. 'We just count our blessings that they weren't seriously injured,' the father said. The family won't sue because it was 'a freak accident,' and 'accidents just happen,' he said."

http://edition.cnn.com/2005/US/11/25/parade.balloon.ap/index.html

The largest of revolutions always begins with one person...  yes 
"The earth is but one country, and mankind its citizens." - Bahá'u'lláh

ual777

Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:07 am

You guys are coming down way to hard on the McDonald's lady.

The post about the health department warnings is correct.

in order to have a tort you must have

CAUSATION.

Third degree burns are NOT caused by normally hot coffee. Second degree, maybe, but not third degree. Furthermore, I would be shocked if anyone in here has never spilled something on themselves by accident.

All she sued for was hospital bills.
It is always darkest before the sun comes up.

DucatiRacer

Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:55 am

Quoting Flyingbabydoc (Reply 39):

Not quite right, most plaintiff's counsel take cases on contingency, meaning they get nothing unless they win. If they win, they get a certain agreed percentage of the amount awarded to the plaintiff. In any case, the plaintiff does not directly pay the lawyer anything.

As a result, plaintiff's attorneys rarely take cases unless the payout is either easy (such as suing an insurance company for "whiplash" where settlement is almost a given) or potentially huge with much publicity (such as with the McDonalds suit). As a corporate attorney, I don't have any significant dealings with lawsuits of any nature, much less personal injury, but I do from time to time get requests from clients to help find an attorney to take a medical malpractice or personal injury suit for one of their employees - it is surprisingly difficult to find a reputable attorney to take those cases. Apparently we are not all sleazy.