Venezuela747
Topic Author

Roy Moore: "Role Of Gov't Is To Recognize God"

Fri Dec 02, 2005 1:34 am

Ok so candidate to next year governor position in Alabama was at the University of Alabama yesterday and had a few things to say, here is the link

http://www.cw.ua.edu/vnews/display.v/ART/2005/12/01/438e974f19940

Here is a few memorable quotes from the article:

"Separation of church and state doesn't mean the separation of God from government,"

"Moore said that idea of separation is actually biblical, dating back to when God established priests from the Levi family and kings from the family of Judah in the Old Testament"

"During a question and answer session after Moore's lecture, he said losing his job as Alabama chief justice didn't help him because he lost retirement benefits and a position as one of the most highly paid chief justices in the country.

Many of the questions to Moore centered on whether acknowledging God establishes a religion, which would violate the establishment clause of the Constitution. Moore countered by quoting Founding Fathers and saying God is the foundation for the Constitution and law.

Someone asked why it was necessary for the government to acknowledge God. Moore said government has to recognize God to avoid eventual chaos and the killing of innocent people."

And you thought the actual his opponet in next years election who proposed to boycott Aruba and put "God Bless America" on license plates was bad......

Let the bashing begin
ROLL TIDE!!!

ctbarnes

RE: Roy Moore: "Role Of Gov't Is To Recognize God"

Fri Dec 02, 2005 1:39 am

At first I mesread the thread title as Michael Moore. But then for him the title would have to be, "The role of government is to recognize my waistline"  Big grin

Seriously though, that's Alabama for you: the Vatican City of the Bible Belt.

Charles, SJ
The customer isn't a moron, she is your wife -David Ogilvy

dvk

Fri Dec 02, 2005 2:19 am

Quoting Venezuela747 (Thread starter):
And you thought the actual his opponet in next years election who proposed to boycott Aruba and put "God Bless America" on license plates was bad......

Governor Riley didn't make the license plate proposal. A state representative did that. Moore is behind Riley in the polls. It's too early to tell what will happen with the Dems with Siegelman under indictment, but Lt. Gov. Lucy Baxley is very popular. In other words, Moore has an uphill battle.
I'm not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information.

Superfly

Fri Dec 02, 2005 2:46 am

This Roy Moore guy is comic relief!  Smile
It would be great if he won the GOP nomination though.
If he were to win the governorship, he would join the ranks of other imbeciles that were Alabama governors such as George Wallace, Lurline Wallace and Fob James.
Bring back the Concorde

Mir

Fri Dec 02, 2005 2:51 am

I think that the role of God should be to keep Roy Moore out of government.  silly 

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

Delta767300ER

Fri Dec 02, 2005 2:56 am

IMO, Keep religion at home and at church. Dont display it anywhere else.

-Delta767300ER

Superfly

Fri Dec 02, 2005 2:57 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 4):
I think that the role of God should be to keep Roy Moore out of government.

LOL!  rotfl 
Bring back the Concorde

MD-90

Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:02 am

"Separation of church and state doesn't mean the separation of God from government,"

"Moore said that idea of separation is actually biblical, dating back to when God established priests from the Levi family and kings from the family of Judah in the Old Testament"

Someone asked why it was necessary for the government to acknowledge God. Moore said government has to recognize God to avoid eventual chaos and the killing of innocent people."

And what's wrong with any of that? Godless, atheistic governments killed 170 MILLION people in the 20th Century. A new term was even coined for death-by-government: demicide.

If you think that this is bashable, then I am forced to conclude that you're ignorant about the reality of the situation. Merely acknowleding God, instead of trying to pretend that He doesn't exist, does not lead to theocracy. Dictators and tyrants of the past few millenia have amply demonstrated that when a ruler or body of rulers feels that there is no higher power that they are accountable to, then typically the looting begins and the bloodbath probably isn't far off.

[Edited 2005-12-01 19:06:48]

MD-90

Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:07 am

Quoting Delta767300ER (Reply 5):
IMO, Keep religion at home and at church. Dont display it anywhere else.

Even Methodists are called to spread the Word unto all the world.

Superfly

Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:12 am

Quoting MD-90 (Reply 8):
Even Methodists are called to spread the Word unto all the world.

What if the voicemail get the call first?
Bring back the Concorde

ctbarnes

Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:17 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 9):
What if the voicemail get the call first?

Dunno. Does God leave a callback number? Big grin

Charles, SJ

Superfly

Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:20 am

Ctbarnes:
Don’t you be blastfemin’ up in here!  mad 
The good lord is gonna strike you down!
Bring back the Concorde

Falcon84

Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:23 am

Mr. Moore, one question: wasn't it Jesus who said "Give unto Caeser what is Caeser's; give unto God, what is God."?

I can take that as meaning that The Church, or in this reagrd, organized religion, is there to run goverment, nor visa-versa.

This guy is certifiable.
Work Right, Fly Hard

ctbarnes

Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:27 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 11):
Ctbarnes:
Don’t you be blastfemin’ up in here!
The good lord is gonna strike you down!

LOL. I think it's confession time.  Wink

Charles, SJ

KiwiNanday

Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:30 am

MD-90. I'm an athiest. Are you saying that if I get into a position of Government, I'll start slaughtering people?

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances."

I interpret this as saying that no laws passed by the government can be based on religious teachings, or beliefs. Now, if they thought this up 229 years ago, why is there a sudden need to change it?
Silly Islamic extremists, it's just a cartoon!

Superfly

Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:31 am

Ctbarnes:
According to Moore and liked minded folks, Catholics haven't seen the light and are going to burn in hell with all the other sinners and secular humanist.  Smile
Bring back the Concorde

Falcon84

Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:35 am

Quoting KiwiNanday (Reply 14):
"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances."

Kiwinandy, you should have put in bold the second part of that sentence, because it's just as important as the first, and is the part that those who try to keep even the word "God" out of everything conveniently forget when pressing their arguements.
Work Right, Fly Hard

ctbarnes

Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:41 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 15):
Ctbarnes:
According to Moore and liked minded folks, Catholics haven't seen the light and are going to burn in hell with all the other sinners and secular humanist.

It's always been like that... Rowan Atkinson in the Britcom Blackadder once said, "Bad weather is God's way of telling us to burn more Catholics."  Big grin

Charles, SJ

Superfly

Fri Dec 02, 2005 4:12 am

Ctbarnes, sorry that one went over my head.  Sad
Bring back the Concorde

MattRB

Fri Dec 02, 2005 4:54 am

And in other news, former Albama Chief Justice and upcoming gubernatorial candidate Roy Moore has begun circulating a petition to rename the state to 'Talibama'.
Aviation is proof that given, the will, we have the capacity to achieve the impossible.

dvk

Fri Dec 02, 2005 5:13 am

Quoting MattRB (Reply 19):
'Talibama'.

rotfl 
I'm not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information.

MD-90

Fri Dec 02, 2005 6:33 am

Quoting KiwiNanday (Reply 14):
MD-90. I'm an athiest. Are you saying that if I get into a position of Government, I'll start slaughtering people?

Hitler, Mao, Stalin, and Pol Pot didn't have religious faith in one of the world's great religions. For that matter, neither did Lincoln. And yes, all of them had people slaughtered.

Superfly

Fri Dec 02, 2005 6:37 am

KiwiNanday and MD-90:
Why are you two associating Athiesm and slaughtering?
There are many leaders that killed that were a part of "one of the world's great religions".
Bring back the Concorde

garnetpalmetto

Fri Dec 02, 2005 7:21 am

Quoting MD-90 (Reply 21):
Hitler, Mao, Stalin, and Pol Pot didn't have religious faith in one of the world's great religions. For that matter, neither did Lincoln. And yes, all of them had people slaughtered.

And Louis XIV, Richard I, Philip II, Mary I, Edward I, Urban II, Innocent III, Ivan IV, Vlad III, and just about every other European monarch all had people "slaughtered" as well. All had religious faith in one of the world's great religions.
South Carolina - too small to be its own country, too big to be a mental asylum.

N1120A

Fri Dec 02, 2005 7:52 am

Quoting MD-90 (Reply 7):
instead of trying to pretend that He doesn't exist

"He" doesn't exist in the minds of many people. Additionally, the United States government is set up as specifically atheistic. The government cannot stop you from being religious, but it cannot force me to be either.

Quoting Garnetpalmetto (Reply 23):
Quoting MD-90 (Reply 21):

And Louis XIV, Richard I, Philip II, Mary I, Edward I, Urban II, Innocent III, Ivan IV, Vlad III, and just about every other European monarch all had people "slaughtered" as well. All had religious faith in one of the world's great religions.

Well, yeah, I guess it was absolutely horrible that Lincoln declared war on a part of the United States that was in rebellion from the Union AND supported the enslavement of a whole racial group   

BTW, I think the Crusades are a good example fo what happens when people do things in the name of religion

[Edited 2005-12-01 23:58:43]
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

garnetpalmetto

Fri Dec 02, 2005 7:57 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 24):
Well, yeah, I guess it was absolutely horrible that Lincoln declared war on a part of the United States that was in rebellion from the Union AND supported the enslavement of a whole racial group

I think you meant to quote MD-90 and not me on that part, Ali.
South Carolina - too small to be its own country, too big to be a mental asylum.

Superfly

Fri Dec 02, 2005 7:58 am

"He" doesn't exist in the minds of many people

Good observation.

Now MD-90, I'd hate to give you a heart attack at such a young age but what if God is a female?
Bring back the Concorde

ilikeyyc

Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:18 am

As a Christian, myself, I have to say that this guy is over the top. I don't want to see him in office.

Personally, I am thankful that there is the separation of Church and State. The last thing that I would want is some government to pervert my religion and try to use it to get us to do unethical things- just how the Catholic Church operated in the 1500's.
Fighting Absurdity with Absurdity!

SFOMEX

Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:34 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 15):
Catholics haven't seen the light and are going to burn in hell with all the other sinners and secular humanist.

Do you mean that even conservative Catholics like myself are going straight to hell??? Damn it, we will have to share space with those godless liberals...
The only thing worst than the GOP is the Democratic Party, think about it!

We're Nuts

Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:05 am

Let's all try to remember the basic scientific and religious premise that correlation does not prove causation.
Dear moderators: No.

MD-90

Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:28 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 26):
Now MD-90, I'd hate to give you a heart attack at such a young age but what if God is a female?

God really isn't a He or a She, but He is referred to in the Bible as being the Father and Lord, and that's good enough for me.

And the North supported slavery almost as much, because they sure didn't want any free blacks moving up their and "stealing" their jobs. Lincoln killed the Republic, was a dictatorial tyrant, and raped the very spirit of liberty that allowed or even required the 13 original colonies to secede from England. He and his notorious generals are personally responsible for 600,000 American deaths, more so than in any other conflict that Americans have fought in.

And to top it all off, he didn't free a single slave...

BTW, I think the Crusades are a good example fo what happens when people do things in the name of religion

I think that the Crusades are a good example of what happens when the State is allowed to interefere with the Church for its own purposes.

N1120A

Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:36 pm

Quoting MD-90 (Reply 30):
And to top it all off, he didn't free a single slave...

The Emancipation Proclamation damn sure freed them. Additionally, Lincoln's backers like the great Sumner passed the 13th Amendment.

And the North supported slavery almost as much, because they sure didn't want any free blacks moving up their and "stealing" their jobs. Lincoln killed the Republic, was a dictatorial tyrant, and raped the very spirit of liberty that allowed or even required the 13 original colonies to secede from England. He and his notorious generals are personally responsible for 600,000 American deaths, more so than in any other conflict that Americans have fought in.

In case you are forgetting, a sovereign nation doesn't have to just allow a part to break off. Remember, the English fought to keep their colonies and lost. The Union fought to keep equal members of the UNITED States, ones that were party to the Constitution with full and equal representation in government, and won. The racist tyrant Jefferson Davis and his cronies are responsible for the 600,000 deaths because they are the ones who chose to spit in the face of the Republic and the Constitution.

I think that the Crusades are a good example of what happens when the State is allowed to interefere with the Church for its own purposes.

No, the Crusades are what happens when Religion has too much influence over the State
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

Mir

Fri Dec 02, 2005 6:02 pm

Quoting SFOMEX (Reply 28):
Damn it, we will have to share space with those godless liberals...

Hey, relax. We know how to have a good time.  silly 

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

Superfly

Sat Dec 03, 2005 1:16 am

Quoting SFOMEX (Reply 28):
Do you mean that even conservative Catholics like myself are going straight to hell???

They don't care even if you are a conservative Catholic. You are still a Catholic, thus a sinner just like all those other Hedonist.  Silly
Bring back the Concorde

ctbarnes

Sat Dec 03, 2005 2:02 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 18):
Ctbarnes, sorry that one went over my head.

Sorry 'bout that. Blackadder was a British sitcom in the 80's about a man who lived at various time thorughout british history. This quoe (the funniest of the series) Blackadder was a courtier to a teenage Queen Elizabeth. I'm a bit foggy right now (13 pages of exegesis on 1 Kings 19 will do that to you). Can any you Brits out there give our friend a better description?

Charles, SJ

Superfly

Sat Dec 03, 2005 2:23 am

Ctbarnes:
Sorry but Benny Hill was the only British sitcom I watched.
Bring back the Concorde