jumpseatflyer

Ramp Work Jobs

Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:55 am

I'm moving back to BUF in a couple of weeks and I would like to get a job doing ramp work at KBUF. Does anyone here know how to go about getting this sort of job and, other than a background check, are there any prerequisites?

Thanks
-Paul

RAMPRAT980

RE: Ramp Work Jobs

Sun Dec 04, 2005 10:06 am

You can't work anywhere within an airport without getting a background check.
With gun control there can be no democracy.. With gun control there can be no Freedom

richardnhsv

Sun Dec 04, 2005 10:15 am

Quoting RAMPRAT980 (Reply 1):
without getting a background check

Quoting Jumpseatflyer (Thread starter):
other than a background check

Jumpseat already knows a background check is required... he was wondering if there are any other prerequisites... sorry, don't know about BUF. May want to check with individual airlines, the airport itself, or the FBO.

Good Luck!
regards,
Richard
"If you've ever had a filet this good, welcome back." - Ruth Fertel

ilikeyyc

Sun Dec 04, 2005 10:57 am

When I had my ramp job, I worked for a contract company and not an airline. However, the company I worked for does not have an operation in BUF so I can't help you there. Your best bet right now is to search each individual airline's web page. I loved my ramp job, but I had to give it up to go to school. Having worked along side other rampers, well, as long as you can pass a drug test and background check, you will get hired- provided there is an opening.
Fighting Absurdity with Absurdity!

fumanchewd

Sun Dec 04, 2005 1:30 pm

No, they'll hire you if you pass the background and drug tests. They will then, most likely, make you attend a class on airport operations and take a ridiculously easy test.

I was a ramp rat for a good 6 years. I learned alot and had fun..but the pay is terrible so they hire almost anyone. If you can get on with Fed Ex it would be best.

Come to think of it, there is one more prequisite.....
....you have to be able to take it from arrogant pilots without the benefit of a courtesy reach around.

[Edited 2005-12-04 05:32:22]
In the time of chimpanzees, I was a monkey...

srbmod

Sun Dec 04, 2005 10:24 pm

Quoting Fumanchewd (Reply 4):
No, they'll hire you if you pass the background and drug tests. They will then, most likely, make you attend a class on airport operations and take a ridiculously easy test.

Depends on the airline. Most airlines don't even start your background check until you're in training (Mainly so if there is an issue regarding something on it, the person can have it dealt with ASAP.), most of them do the wizz quiz prior to training class starting (When I went through ramp training @ FL, they actually did it the first day of class. Had us line up outside the bathroom and went in one at a time.).

The above quote may be true with some 3rd party handlers, but for many airlines, the training lasts from as little as a week to as long as a month (When I went through training @ EV, we had one week of classroom training, followed by two weeks of OJT [which also included classroom time as well]. I was the only one in my class that was released from training after three weeks, because I had already had experience on the ramp; the remaining members of the class spent another week in training before being released from training.).