airxliban

Da Vinci Code - Why Do People Hate It?

Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:48 am

I haven't read it myself but everyone seems to either love it or scoff at it.

So my question is, what is the matter with it?
PARIS, FRANCE...THE BEIRUT OF EUROPE.

ManuCH
Crew

Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:51 am

I have no idea, but I've heard the same things. I guess I have to read it someday... but I'm lazy, I hardly ever read a book, so I'm afraid I'll never find out...
Never trust a statistic you didn't fake yourself

RichardPrice

Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:52 am

Its a descriptive story that essentially destroys the mythos surrounding organised religion - specifically the Catholic church. Because of this, people have read far too much into it in some cases and tried to put forward a lot of what its saying as truth.

Personally, having read it, its a good read and very thought provoking (something that some organisations deem bad...). He raises good questions, some of which do pan out when you investigate them in real life, while other things are totally made up.

Read it, make your own mind up.

Venezuela747

Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:58 am

It is a fiction book, I liked it as one because it was very intriguing and it kept me at the edge of my seat and I always wanted to turn the page to find out what happened, like other good books....that's it.

I hate it how some people are completly buying into everything Dan Brown says and wasting money on all this stuff, if you do a little bit of research you find out that a lot of the facts are true but the connections are completly made up ans non-existent.

Still a good thriller to have on the shelf
ROLL TIDE!!!

prosa

Mon Dec 05, 2005 2:11 am

It was a collection of unreadable pseudo-intellectual crap. Toss in a collection of trivia, and people think they'll get smart from reading it. Not to mention the practice of ending almost every chapter with an exciting cliffhanger, so people just have to keep reading. That's a common trick in children's literature but condescening in something aimed at adults.
"Let me think about it" = the coward's way of saying "no"

Logan22L

Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:44 am

Quoting PROSA (Reply 4):
It was a collection of unreadable pseudo-intellectual crap. Toss in a collection of trivia, and people think they'll get smart from reading it. Not to mention the practice of ending almost every chapter with an exciting cliffhanger, so people just have to keep reading. That's a common trick in children's literature but condescening in something aimed at adults.

Well, PROSA's viewpoint and mine will make a nice microcosm of people's differing opinions. I've read much Dostoevsky, Camus and other serious stuff, and I really enjoyed Da Vinci. I read it as a work of fiction, but I must say he writes in a manner that is quite convincing. That the subject matter is such a sensitive establishment obviously makes many people uncomfortable. I for one, never noticed that in "The Last Supper," the disciple to Jesus Christ's immediate right is obviously female, and no one can really dispute the role women have been relegated to in the Catholic church.

So, it made me think a bit, which is never a bad thing. By all means, make up your own mind - about everything.
"The deeper you go, the higher you fly. The higher you fly, the deeper you go."

GDB

Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:45 am

Not read it, but I note that at least one cathedral in the UK, mentioned in the book, have changed their visitor information to account for myths and plain false information in the book.
After many visitors, usually foreign tourists, kept on asking questions related to this work of fiction, seemingly unable to separate fantasy from reality, arguably the curse of our age.

9VSPO

Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:54 am

I just didn't like Dan Browns writing style. He repeats stuff over and over again in the book. It was ok but I wouldn't read anything else by him after reading that. Having said that I will probably go see the movie. Some of the theories about Leonardo Da Vinci were interesting but.....  Wink

jush

Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:56 am

Yep but it still remains a great book.
It's like every conspiracy theory. Your are intrigued and actually want to believe it. So you have to remind yourself to not get carried away and don't believe anything.
If you can do this or not it'll be a great read anyway

Regds
jush
There is one problem with airbus. Though their products are engineering marvels they lack passion, completely.

jwenting

Mon Dec 05, 2005 4:30 am

It's a conspiracy theory presented as fact, it twists reality and religious beliefs that are very strong in order to make a buck.
I wish I were flying

RichardPrice

Mon Dec 05, 2005 4:47 am

Quoting Jwenting (Reply 9):
It's a conspiracy theory presented as fact, it twists reality and religious beliefs that are very strong in order to make a buck.

Its a story book, how in hell is it presented as fact any more than any other fiction book? Guess what, every fiction writer is out to make a buck through exactly the same manner.

TACAA320

RE: Da Vinci Code - Why Do People Hate It?

Mon Dec 05, 2005 5:08 am

Interesting novel to kill some time. A history book? Not even his author believes that. A good novel? Yes, but not even among the best ficiton's one that I had read.

[Edited 2005-12-04 21:38:11]
'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind'. Albert Einstein

ly7e7

Mon Dec 05, 2005 5:11 am

It is a fiction book, quite stupid and badly written IMHO.

The main problem for Catholics (and other Christians) with that book is that it basically says that JC was a human being, who ate, drank, loved and f*cked. As such he probably had offsprings, considering the fact that 2000+ years ago contraceptives were not there  Smile - all of which was true. As far as I care - I could be in the same bloodline  Wink.
2 things are endless: ignorance and space

9VSPO

Mon Dec 05, 2005 5:16 am

Quoting Ly7e7 (Reply 12):
It is a fiction book, quite stupid and badly written IMHO

Thankyou! Go read Small Island by Andrea Levy instead. That's what you call a book!  Wink

ly7e7

Mon Dec 05, 2005 5:25 am

Quoting 9VSPO (Reply 13):
Thankyou! Go read Small Island by Andrea Levy instead. That's what you call a book!

You're welcome! Another suggestion is "The closing of the western mind" by Charles Freeman
2 things are endless: ignorance and space

scamp

Mon Dec 05, 2005 5:52 am

As a non-Catholic, I can see where it would cause the Vatican to get its collective panties in a wad, but I enjoyed the book a great deal. Frankly, I don't give a squat whether or not Jesus was married or had a daughter. It doesn't change who or what He is for me.
If it pisses off the right, I'm all for it.

airxliban

Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:14 am

Ok...thanks for the responses.

So now I'm not sure whether it is worth reading or not. If I do read it, I suppose I should be wary of the points brought up here.

How should I approach this book if I decide to go about reading it?

kennethsk

Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:36 pm

Quoting AirxLiban (Reply 16):
So now I'm not sure whether it is worth reading or not. If I do read it, I suppose I should be wary of the points brought up here.

How should I approach this book if I decide to go about reading it?

Just read it like any other book you would read. Don't think it's a big book people talk about, but just a book that you would grab fromt he bookstores and read. If you don't like it, don't continue, if you do then you know what you enjoy.

'Cuz then you won't know how it is like if you don't try yourself!

Kennethsk
Welcome to the REAL world! it SUCKS but you are gonna LOVE it!

kennethsk

Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:37 pm

By the way, I enjoyed the book though.

Maybe because after a week I finished the book, I went to visit Louvre museum and I could see what I imagined what the book says.

Try it!
Kennethsk
Welcome to the REAL world! it SUCKS but you are gonna LOVE it!

We're Nuts

Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:00 pm

I thought the book was interesting, and Brown is definitely very intelligent, but I lost a lot of respect for him when he called the BE58 a turboprop.  banghead 
Dear moderators: No.

johnboy

Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:15 pm

Good potboiler read.

I don't want to spoil any ending, but IMHO the author should have gone for the jugular with the Church but he was too much of a wuss to do so.

A collective yawn at the end after building up so much historical/fictional detail throughout the story.

707CMF

Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:16 pm

Quoting We're Nuts (Reply 19):
I thought the book was interesting, and Brown is definitely very intelligent, but I lost a lot of respect for him when he called the BE58 a turboprop.

He also located "highway 5" near Versailles. We do have a Motorway 5 in France, but to say it is near Versailles... Oh well, it is about 150 km away !!!

Cheers,

Venezuela747

Tue Dec 06, 2005 1:39 am

****DO NOT READ IF YOU HAVE NOT READ THE BOOK***

Quoting Johnboy (Reply 20):
I don't want to spoil any ending, but IMHO the author should have gone for the jugular with the Church but he was too much of a wuss to do so.

A collective yawn at the end after building up so much historical/fictional detail throughout the story.

Agree 100% the ending was really bad, it looks like he pulled a fairy tale ending where everyone lived happily ever after.

BTW anyone read Angles and Deamons? I got it on my shelf but havent read it
ROLL TIDE!!!

RichardPrice

Tue Dec 06, 2005 1:42 am

Quoting Venezuela747 (Reply 22):

BTW anyone read Angles and Deamons? I got it on my shelf but havent read it

Ive read it, more of the same really. I have almost managed to mentally block the airplane scenes tho (you will know waht i mean when you read it)  Smile

Banco

Tue Dec 06, 2005 7:01 pm

It's an entertaining read, but it's a load of nonsense in its claims to represent accuracy.

There are bits and pieces that are reasonable enough. Various of the Coptic Gospels present intriguing alternate stories, and it is true that the Church edited and discarded various of the gospels in the early years. Equally, the painting of the Last Supper has long been thought controversial - to me it looks like a female and always has, others disagree.

But so much of it is claimed to be truth and simply isn't. The secret society Brown states really does exist in his foreword - and is the crux of the whole plot - almost certainly doesn't (and anyway, he got the idea from Holy Blood, Holy Grail and is currently subject of a legal action), the various architectural links he puts forward are pure fantasy, and the whole Mary Magdelene thing, whilst possible, has no evidence whatsoever.

Treat it as fiction, and you're fine. The problem is that people believe it.
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

scbriml

Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:52 pm

It's fiction - not real. On the whole an enjoyable read, weaving a fictional story around some historical truths. Quite clever really.

The fact that the Catholic church has thrown a screaming hissy fit over it amuses me to a huge degree, and must have added more sales than any amount of "normal" advertising could have. Dan Brown must thank them every night when he goes to bed. rotfl 

I've read his other stuff, and it is largely more of the same. Good stuff for a holiday read while relaxing by the pool or beach.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!

mrocktor

Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:49 pm

It is an excellent thriller, and intelligently written (because it seems incredibly fantastic, while remaining plausible).

It is fiction, including many of the "facts" presented.

A good read, but don't take it as a historical document, on any level.

mrocktor

backfire

Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:47 am

It was a horribly readable book - which is why publishers love it - the equivalent of a popcorn movie, great for light entertainment but not something which stands up to scrutiny.

My problem with it is that I think Dan Brown was taken in by a huge hoax, perpetrated several years ago, which was based on the 'bloodline of Christ' theory of the Holy Grail.

'Da Vinci Code', in my opinion, seemed to come over as being written by someone who'd been suckered into believing this same cock-and-bull story.

If the basic premise had been true, it would have made a cracking thriller. But instead it comes over as tarnished - much like Oliver Stone's 'JFK', which looks great until you delve into the real story and find that a lot of the so-called 'facts' are actually nonsense.

Once you realise that the whole book is based on discredited evidence, which it nevertheless tries to present as solid fact, it undermines the story completely and it becomes far less enjoyable. A shame, really.

redngold

Thu Dec 08, 2005 10:56 am

Just like the Left Behind series, The Da Vinci Code takes stories from the Bible and extends them into myths about what might have been and what may come. As some other posters have said, some people have taken it as gospel truth when it is a work of fiction. Dan Brown revels in the turmoil he's caused, because it sells more books and pays him more money.

That's why people get upset that the book exists.

redngold (a Left Behind series reader but not believer)
Up, up and away!

airxliban

Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:04 am

Hm...thanks for the all the responses. Still not sure whether or not to bother reading it, especially since I've got a lot of other things to get through.

If the book is really that "readable" perhaps I'll decidate a couple of days to it and see how we get on with each other.

Cheers

mirrodie

Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:19 am

hey, we all love a conspiracy. Thats the bottom line. Those what don't will rip the book apart. Those who do love conspiracy love it.

Personally, the book has some facts but its doubtful that any strong evidence to proof those facts will ever surface b/c they are gone.

I love the book, the author does a good job with all his books and tomorrow, in fact, I'll be checking out the Temple church in London, TOMORROW. Even if false, a round church enshrounded by conspiracy theory? Screw the changing of the guards, thats something worth seeing!

In fact, there's some 9-11 video/conspiracy also circulating out there. Truth or fiction? Ah, fodder for a new thread??? I havent seen it but heard it talks about how 9-11 was all initiated by the us gov. and talks about how key players are conveniently dead or missing. Also talks about Noriega, Hussein, Guevera and a host of other puppet leaders who the US dealt with but the US then turned on, or something of the like.

now, I'm going on what I heard, but the point is, truth? or fiction?

you'll have an easier time battling your mates at the pub over what team is best!
Forum moderator 2001-2010; He's a pedantic, pontificating, pretentious bastard, a belligerent old fart, a worthless st

lowrider

Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:53 pm

It is not a bad book. Not his best though. I liked "Angels and Demons" and "Deception Point" better. None of it is fine literature, but it is a good way to pass the time when riding in back of the plane. The problem comes in where people know less than they think they do about the subject. They read the book, and a few things sound familiar, so they must be true. The same problem arises with many of James Michner's books. Good storieswith some original ideas, just don't use them as textbooks.
Proud OOTSK member

TACAA320

Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:22 pm

Quoting Mrocktor (Reply 26):
It is an excellent thriller,

Quoting Backfire (Reply 27):
It was a horribly readable book

Nothing in between??????
'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind'. Albert Einstein

ctbarnes

Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:08 pm

I read it a couple of summers ago. Decent page turner with a predictable ending. Conspiracy theory about Opus Dei and the Church fanciful to the point of being absurd. The so-called "Bloodline of Christ" theory is a ledgend with no basis in fact.

Charles, SJ
The customer isn't a moron, she is your wife -David Ogilvy