brownbat

Alternates To Video Ipod

Mon Dec 05, 2005 4:56 pm

I remember seeing some show where they were comparing the Video Ipod to some other video play MP3 players from other companies. I wasn't paying attention but now that I am thinking of getting the video MP3 player, I was trying to see if anybody knows some alternates to the Video Ipod. I remember the show said that there are cheaper and bigger screen alternates to the Video Ipod out there.

zarniwoop

RE: Alternates To Video Ipod

Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:43 pm

Get a playstation portable (PSP), not as much storage as an ipod but has MP3, can play movies (MP4) from the memory stick, games, built in WiFi for internet. Does everything!

brownbat

Tue Dec 06, 2005 3:05 am

Yea, I was thinking more of a Ipod type that fits in my hand.

andrewuber

Tue Dec 06, 2005 7:48 am

For what it's worth - if it's about financial sense, go to the Apple store. I went to the one in Chicago on Michigan Avenue, and picked up a 60 GB video iPod for $339.00. It was a return, but worked fine, and had been reconditioned by Apple (new screen and back were installed - it looks brand new). It also came with the same warranty that a new iPod comes with.

Check them out!

Drew
I'd rather shoot BAD_MOTIVE

Nancy

Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:59 am

Ipod has a law suit against them because the Nanos have defective screen coating. I'm not sure if that's a problem with the video Ipod too, but check before you buy one.

mdsh00

Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:42 am

Quoting Nancy (Reply 4):
Ipod has a law suit against them because the Nanos have defective screen coating. I'm not sure if that's a problem with the video Ipod too, but check before you buy one.

I think this lawsuit is as best shaky and a result of some bad apples mixed with people that don't know how to handle fragile equipment. Case in point, I bought a Canon SD300 camera earlier this summer and many reviewers "swore" they handled it with care, and yet the screen would crack in a matter of a couple weeks. Well I've had mine for a few months now, have a cover for it, have dropped it once too, and its working perfectly fine. I wouldn't put too much on this "lawsuit"

Read this review: The people ran over it with a car and it still worked!
http://arstechnica.com/reviews/hardware/nano.ars  Wow!

To the OP. If you wan't primarily a video player, don't get the video iPod. There are better players out there like those from Creative and Archos that have bigger screens. I recently bought an ipod video because I'd been looking to buy an iPod, and the video capability was an added bonus for me.
"Look Lois, the two symbols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a big fat white guy who is threatened by change."

F9Widebody

Tue Dec 06, 2005 2:04 pm

Quoting Nancy (Reply 4):

Not a video problem. The plastic is thinner on the nano. My video works just fine. Not a scratch on it....it comes with a case, use it!
YES URLS in signature!!!