9VSPO
Topic Author

What Newspaper Do You Buy And Why?

Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:41 am

Following on from an idea from another thread, what newspaper do you buy and why?

ANCFlyer

RE: What Newspaper Do You Buy And Why?

Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:44 am

Anchorage Daily News.

It's the only daily paper around for 1500 miles (save the worthless Fairbanks News-Miner)

www.adn.com
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

ORFflyer

Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:46 am

The Virginian Pilot - Delivered wrapped in plastic every morning around 0500. Tossed next to my truck door, all I do is pick it up as I get in the truck on the wat to work. Sometimes I'll stop and get a copy of the USA TODAY solely for the sports section.

AsstChiefMark

Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:47 am

Because that's one of my hobbies. It helps me to make investment decisions...quite successfully.

Mark
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

mikedlayer

Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:48 am

The Times.

Much better since they got the tabloid sized version, was a nightmare carrying around a broadsheet!

alcregular

Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:49 am

I read The Sun, gotta love the trashy stories.
Why drive when you can fly?

BMIFlyer

Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:49 am

I get The Sun

I check out Page 3, then I read the rest of the news thats in it. Big grin

Lee
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own

LGW

Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:51 am

9VSPO,

I can guess which thread gave you the idea to start this one and my comment regarding the Mirror was meant more a joke than I think it may have come across.

But as I am sure you can guess we are at opposite ends of the political spectrum(!)

I buy (9VSPO turn away now) the Daily Mail and my local paper, the West Sussex County Times. Also occasionally read the Daily Telegraph too.

Cheers

Ben Pritchard

RobertNL070

Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:53 am

De Volkskrant: progressive quality daily newspaper. Excellent literary supplement. Wicked cartoonist Jos Collignon.

Regards, Robert   

[Edited 2005-12-07 21:59:00]
Youth is a gift of nature. Age is a work of art.

9VSPO
Topic Author

Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:55 am

LGW, my Mrs loves the Daily Express which we get delivered every morning! But I mainly buy papers for the crossword.  Big grin

jush

Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:56 am

Quoting Mikedlayer (Reply 4):
The Times.

Much better since they got the tabloid sized version, was a nightmare carrying around a broadsheet!

The times is great always read it while living in the UK.

I love the Handelsblatt too

Regds
jush
There is one problem with airbus. Though their products are engineering marvels they lack passion, completely.

Cadet985

Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:59 am

I read the NY Times and USA Today on Monday-Friday because I get them for free here at school. The Times is the best newspaper I've ever read.

Marc

diamond

Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:00 am

It is the largest resource for print news in the metro L.A. area.
Blank.

Sabena332

Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:07 am

My favourite newspaper is the Süddeutsche Zeitung. I like it because of the well written articles and the award winning sports pages.

Also nice from time to time: Die Tageszeitung

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

dtwclipper

Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:08 am

We have subscriptions to the New York Times and the Daily Worker (AKA the Detroit Free Press).
Compare New York Air, the Airline that works for your Business

Christa

Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:08 am

My parents get delivered to the house everyday;

• The Western Mail - Welsh National Newspaper that is moderate right wing in it's views.
  • The Daily Mail - British National Newspaper that is also a moderate right wing in it's views.

I read both publications, however every day I buy the The Daily Telegraph

My family are members of the Conservative Party, so of course are bound to read some sort of publication that is on the right, in the politican spectrum.

Regards,
Chris

[Edited 2005-12-07 22:14:16]
Croeso i Faes Awyr Rhyngwladol Caerdydd - Welcome to Cardiff International Airport

desertjets

Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:26 am

You get newspapers in print form.... how quaint.  Silly

I check the NYTimes, Washington Post, and two papers specific to my profession on a daily basis online.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

srbmod

Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:34 am

Since there is only one major newspaper in Atlanta, not much of a choice in terms of papers to subscribe to. There are a number of city and county papers in the Metro Area, but none of them even come close to being anywhere near the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. The closest any local paper ever came to challenging the AJC was the Gwinnett Daily News back in the early 1990s. For a time there, the GDN (which was owned by the New York Times), was outselling the Atlanta Journal and Atlanta Constitution (At the time the Constitution was the morning paper, and the Journal was the evening paper; Cox finally merged them into a single daily a few years ago.) in Gwinnett County. The AJC countered by starting a daily Gwinnett Extra section in the AJC (In most Metro counties, the Extra section is a Thursday-only section.), and offered subscriptions that were lower than what the Gwinnett Daily News was offering (I know we would subscribe to the AJC, let that subscription expire, then sign up for the similar deal again.).

On occassion, I'll pick up the USA Today.

mt99

Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:35 am

I get mine for free.. I read the "Red Eye". For the ones that dont know its the "hip" version of of the chicago tribune. This are its characteristics:

* Designed to be read in 20 minutes (average "L" ride to work)
* Marketed to young proffesionals.
* News are given in a semi-lighthearted fashion.
* Paris Hilton seems to be mentioned everyday.
* Hundreds of Bar ads.
* Used to be $0.25 - now its free!

http://www.redeyechicago.com/

What other newspaper gives you these pearls of wisdom on your way to work:

"But best of all, at my place I'm more familiar with all the hot spots. I know the good couches to have sex on. I know that my bed's headboard is sturdy. I know which of the two showers gives the most hot water. I don't know crap about her place. At her place I'd be like Lewis and Clark exploring where the sweet sex spots are. My place is already mapped out, baby! " - John Ibrahim Dec 7 05 version of redeye

[Edited 2005-12-07 22:48:43]
Step into my office, baby

BHXFAOTIPYYC

Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:41 am

UK newspapers: given up with the Daily Mail - can't handle the endless gloom and doom; used to read the Independent but that seemed to go way left a couple of years ago; obviously the Sun, but just for the in-depth articles as I like to keep abreast of events...
Breakfast in BHX, lunch in FAO, dinner in TIP, baggage in YYC.

SlamClick

Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:49 am

None.

Partly for *environmental reasons - newspapers are going to last a thousand years in a landfill. Mostly because, by actual measurement of column-inches, the last newspaper I read was well over 75% advertising. That is a lot higher percentage than even Superbowl halftime.

Get my news from internet sources and at least two different TV networks on any given evening.

* I know my having environmental concerns is going to further confuse poor Logan22L who just removed me from his RU list. Well, c'est la vie.  Smile
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

Kovi17

Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:13 am

I get the Atlanta Journal Constitution and Athens Bannar Herald
We dont worry about small things like that...

N1120A

Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:21 am

It depends on the city I am living in, as I have lived in 4 over the past 3 years. In Los Angeles, it is the Los Angeles Times, even though it has a right leaning tilt, because I am a big fan of the sports reporting and because it is the only really good news source in the area. In New Orleans, there is only the Times-Picayune and I am not a huge fan, so I stick with the NYT. In Boston, it is the Globe (The Herald is not worth toilet paper). In London I alternated between The Guardian and The Independant.
I also try to read local news papers when traveling, so I like Sueddeutsche Zeitung in Germany. Also, I absolutely love the International Herald Tribune when I can find it.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

NoUFO

Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:42 am

Either a copy of Tagesspiegel or Süddeutsche Zeitung (see Patrick's post). Tagesspiegel is more or less a local newspaper, Süddeutsche is the German response to the Washington Post.
Sometimes I read the Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung, which is more conservative. I like it, because it's the only newspaper that only once had a picture on it's frontpage. That was on September 12, 2001.
Often, I only check their websites instead of buying a copy, though.

Then there is Die Zeit. I have been a subscriber for the last 20 years. IMO the best weekly in German language.

[Edited 2005-12-07 23:42:50]
I support the right to arm bears

eric

Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:53 am

Financial Times, The Times and Sunday Times although the standard of the times has decreased significantly since they went tabloid format.

Whilst in Norway; Aftenposten and Dagens Næringsliv although the latter tend to focus to much on personalities rather than business these days.

[Edited 2005-12-08 00:11:19]
n

saigonhouston

Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:02 am

The Wall Street Journals
Because...job related and personal finance investment.

saigonhouston

mhodgson

Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:10 am

The Daily Telegraph. Mainly because my parents opted to have it delivered every morning, but I have been reading it almost daily for over 7 years so Its just natural to read it!

The sports section is excellent, and has some of the best columnists. Alan Hansen is a great writer!
No trees were harmed by this message. However, several million electrons were terribly inconvenienced

MKEdude

Thu Dec 08, 2005 10:19 am

Every day I read the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. http://www.jsonline.com, the only major daily in the area. Not a bad paper really, good local coverage and a decent amount (for a local) of global news. Editorially they lean slightly to the left.

I also read the New York Times whenever I can, and whenever I am on the road I like to read as many local papers as I can, with varying results.
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline." Frank Zappa

Marambio

Thu Dec 08, 2005 10:56 am

At home my parents buy La Nación - Argentina's quality newspaper. Although quite right-wing, it fiercely opposes the Peronist party, which something good in my opinion.

When I want to get another point of view, I buy Página 12 - Argentina's main left-wing newspaper, with some controversial yet very good journalists.

I sometimes buy the Argentinisches Tageblatt and the Buenos Aires Herald - two very interesting newspapers, and the only two "biggies" not to be written in Spanish in the whole country.

My father is also a suscriber of The International Herald Tribune - a great, neutral newspaper with a really comprehensive coverage of worlwide news, from China to Alaska and from Chile to Iran.

Saludos,
Marambio

[Edited 2005-12-08 03:09:49]
Aerolíneas Argentinas - La Argentina que levanta vuelo

Cadet985

Thu Dec 08, 2005 10:58 am

Quoting Cadet985 (Reply 11):
I read the NY Times and USA Today on Monday-Friday because I get them for free here at school. The Times is the best newspaper I've ever read.

Marc

I forgot...I also read the Bergen County Record.

Marc

redngold

Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:02 am

http://www.cleveland.com
The Plain Dealer is Cleveland's hometown newspaper... It has a fairly decent crossword and comics section... and of course, the news. Some people ask me how I "know so much about everything" and I tell them it's because I read the newspaper every day. Knowledge of current events helps a great deal!

(I also get news from other sources - television, radio, and www, so the overall picture isn't biased by a single viewpoint.)

redngold
Up, up and away!

usnseallt82

Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:23 am

Quoting 9VSPO (Thread starter):
What Newspaper Do You Buy And Why?

The only hard print I buy is the Navy Times. All my other sources can be read online.
Crye me a river

lentigomaligna

Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:00 pm

New York Times, because I'm required to for a class
Seattle Post-Intelligencer, because for me it's free
Seattle Times, because for me it's free
Wall Street Journal, because I'm required to for another class

HAWK21M

Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:05 pm

The Times of India.
If you read it.you'll understand.
Only news no gossip & def not a tabloid.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

A332

Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:09 pm

The Globe & Mail... hands down the best newspaper in Canada.

I have zero options when it comes to local reads... the Calgary Sun & the Herald are both disgustingly biased right-wing rags (the Sun is the worst offender). Nothing of real substance, unless you need to check the current sale price on pork chops and see the best deals on GM cars.. etc..

Throw the National Post in with the Herald... it's crap.
Bad spellers of the world... UNTIE!

jasepl

Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:28 pm

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 33):
The Times of India.
If you read it.you'll understand.
Only news no gossip & def not a tabloid.
regds
MEL

Oh come on Mel!

The Times has long been degenerating into a sensationalist rag, trying to out-sensationalise Mid-Day. And that is something that will never happen. The Old Lady needs to give up now!

I have more respect for Mid-Day. At least it doesn't pretend to be something it clearly isn't.

ABfemme

Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:48 pm

Evening newspaper for us - local one - Express and Star
Mainly local news but also some international coverage, now and again for a bit of gossip, I'll get the Sun
 Wink
Women do not have hot flushes, they have power surges

HAWK21M

Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:09 pm

Quoting Jasepl (Reply 35):
The Times has long been degenerating into a sensationalist rag, trying to out-sensationalise Mid-Day. And that is something that will never happen. The Old Lady needs to give up now!

Apart from Page 3 & Mumbai mirror aping Mid-Day.Personally I think the Main news reports of TOI is fantastic.
E-Paper
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

willo

Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:35 pm

Quoting SlamClick (Reply 20):
Partly for *environmental reasons - newspapers are going to last a thousand years in a landfill. Mostly because, by actual measurement of column-inches, the last newspaper I read was well over 75% advertising. That is a lot higher percentage than even Superbowl halftime.

Get my news from internet sources and at least two different TV networks on any given evening.

At least your newspapers will eventually degrade unlike the plastics and components from your old PC and Tv  Wink

I'm a Daily Telegraph reader. It has excellent world news coverage, a good crossword and the best Fantasy Football competition. Unfortunately, like most of the British press of late, it does seem to be obsessed with the cult of "celebrity".

Like LGW above, I also read the West Sussex County Times, which is published every Friday. They have a particularly useful feature that tells you where the mobile speed camera will be operating that week.

noelg

Thu Dec 08, 2005 10:49 pm

We have the Mail on Sunday delivered on a Sunday, used to have the Independent but it's too big. I am willing to put up with the constant slagging off of political parties no matter how irrelevant the story (CIA flights landed in Scotland - it's Tony Blair's fault. DVLA sell your details to dodgy clamping companies - it's Tony Blair's fault) but it's a much easier read, and on the most part the stories are very informative.

I sometimes buy the Mail in the week, and on a Wednesday we have the Chad.

AMSGOT

Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:13 pm

Quoting RobertNL070 (Reply 8):
De Volkskrant: progressive quality daily newspaper.

De Volkskrant, that's mine too! Otherwise NRC Handelsblad.
Whenever I'm in Sweden, I read Göteborgs Posten or Dagens Nyheter.

Why? I hate tabloids like De Telegraaf or Aftonbladet! Those papers have about as much IQ as an cow. And that's an insult to cows.

[Edited 2005-12-08 15:18:06]
Please remain seated!

7FTwinOtter

Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:24 pm

I alternate between reading the times, the independent and the guardian.

levent

Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:24 am

I read the Bangkok Post, sometimes The Nation (if BP is sold out) and every Friday I buy the Pattaya Mail. Why? Because I can't read Thai yet!  Smile

The Bangkok Post is a very good newspaper.

USAirways737

Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:58 pm

None. Why anyone would actually pay to read a newspaper is beyond me. Read for free on their websites people and quit wasting your money.

Erik in MSN

dtwclipper

Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:56 pm

Quoting Usairways737 (Reply 43):
None. Why anyone would actually pay to read a newspaper is beyond me.

I guess at 43 I must be an old fart, but I get a lot more out of holding the paper in my hands. There is nothing I find more enjoyable then sitting down on a Sunday morning with the New York Times and a couple of cups of coffee.

I could and do read a lot of stuff on the net, but I still enjoy getting my hands dirty!
Compare New York Air, the Airline that works for your Business