oly720man

Beginning Of The End For Man Utd?

Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:20 am

Beaten 2-1 in Benfica, bottom of the group, out of Europe altogether, only Burton Albion in the FA Cup to look forward to.... are the wheels falling off the red machine?
wheat and dairy can screw up your brain

FLYtoEGCC

RE: Beginning Of The End For Man Utd?

Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:26 am

I can think of nothing more satisfying than watch United go out of Europe in that manner. Ferguson's expression at the final whistle was priceless - he looked a shadow of the arrogant, egotistic git of a few seasons ago. It's always fun to watch cry-baby Ronaldo have a useless game and get pulled off the pitch, of course Van Nistelrooy had to have his customary moan at the referee because "I DIDN'T WIN!" and if Ferdinand gets in the England squad this summer I think I'll cry.

It's just incredibly fun watching them lose, with the expressions on their faces saying "but we're UNITED! We can't possibly lose!"

It was a great game of football and a great result. Benfica fully deserved their win. And in answer to your question, yes let's hope the wheels are falling off. Much as I dislike Chelsea, the way they and their manager conduct themselves on and off the pitch, I'd even rather have them as Premiership champions than that bunch of overpaid tools from Salford. As for Europe, I'm just glad United are out.
Come fly with me, let's fly, let's fly away...

srbmod

Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:29 am

Finally! About bloody time!

Signed,

Everyone else in the EPL except Chelsea.

whitehatter

Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:36 am

Quoting FLYtoEGCC (Reply 1):
I'd even rather have them as Premiership champions than that bunch of overpaid tools from Salford.

Please don't insult Salford. That rabble are in Trafford.

Time for a clear out. Fergie has lost the magic and some of those players don't seem to think they need to do anything for their vast wages. When players just turn up and go through the motions they are surplus to requirements in any team. Be it United or (for example) Burton.

They don't need Glazer to open his chequebook. They need to clear some of the shit out first.
Lead me not into temptation, I can find my own way there...

FLYtoEGCC

Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:43 am

Quoting WhiteHatter (Reply 3):
Please don't insult Salford. That rabble are in Trafford.

Haha. Sorry Whitehatter! Also, agreed about the clear-out - if I was Ferguson, out of the door straight away for me would be Ferdinand, Silvestre, Giggs, O'Shea, Fletcher, Saha (he was particularly awful tonight) and maybe even Richardson - he's gone right off the boil. And if I was Glazer, I'd be getting ready to get shot Ferguson as well. Who I'd have to replace him, I don't know - but then, as a City fan, I don't really care.

In fact, put Alan Ball in charge! He'd do a brilliant job!

sean377

Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:47 pm

I can think of nothing more satisfying than watch United go out of Europe in that manner. Ferguson's expression at the final whistle was priceless - he looked a shadow of the arrogant, egotistic git of a few seasons ago. It's always fun to watch cry-baby Ronaldo have a useless game and get pulled off the pitch, of course Van Nistelrooy had to have his customary moan at the referee because "I DIDN'T WIN!" and if Ferdinand gets in the England squad this summer I think I'll cry.

It's just incredibly fun watching them lose, with the expressions on their faces saying "but we're UNITED! We can't possibly lose!"

It was a great game of football and a great result. Benfica fully deserved their win. And in answer to your question, yes let's hope the wheels are falling off. Much as I dislike Chelsea, the way they and their manager conduct themselves on and off the pitch, I'd even rather have them as Premiership champions than that bunch of overpaid tools from Salford. As for Europe, I'm just glad United are out.

Couldn't have put it better myself!

Didn't see the game as I don't have Sky Sports, but was glued to Sky Sports News for news and reactions. It's always particularly satisfying to see the mugs lose after taking the lead and looking so smug.
Flying is the second greatest thrill known to man... Landing is the first!

ABfemme

Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:57 pm

I can think of nothing more satisfying than watch United go out of Europe

Too right - best thing that could have happened

bigthumbsup 
Women do not have hot flushes, they have power surges

Thom@s

Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:16 pm

Well, United haven't performed well in Europe this season, and to be fair didn't deserve to go through to the knock out stage.

Focus now needs to be on winning one of the domestic trophees. The FA Cup would be a nice conselation.

Quoting Oly720man (Thread starter):
bottom of the group

A very close group though. Not that it should be used to defend United. They got the "easiest" of the CL groups, and still couldn't win it. Neither did they manage to score the one extra goal they needed to go through in the remaining 60 minutes against Benfica.

Therefore; I'm disappointed to see United out of the European competition, but not surprised considering how they have performed in the group matches.

Thom@s
"If guns don't kill people, people kill people - does that mean toasters don't toast toast, toast toast toast?"

AMSGOT

Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:31 pm

I can think of nothing more satisfying than watch United go out of Europe in that manner.

I do: I'd rather not have the 'anti-football companies' Chelsea and Real Madrid back after the winter break. Absolutely impossible to call them FC's...
Please remain seated!

OYRJA

Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:43 pm

What United have to do is buy Thomas Gravesen from Real Madrid.
That would definatly give United some more stability in their midfield.  Smile

Quoting AMSGOT (Reply 8):
I can think of nothing more satisfying than watch United go out of Europe in that manner.

I do: I'd rather not have the 'anti-football companies' Chelsea and Real Madrid back after the winter break. Absolutely impossible to call them FC's...

I couldn't agree more.

scbriml

Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:46 pm

I think SAF may be past his "best before" date!

His transfer dealings over the years have been more miss than hit. For every gem he's bought, he's also spent countless £millions on real lemons.

What really made the MU team the first time they won the league title after so long, was all the home grown youth (despite Alan Hansen's infamous quote!) That and a decent goalkeeper.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!

Thom@s

Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:42 pm

Quoting OYRJA (Reply 9):
What United have to do is buy Thomas Gravesen from Real Madrid.
That would definatly give United some more stability in their midfield.

So would Gatusso from AC Milan.  Wink

Quoting Scbriml (Reply 10):
His transfer dealings over the years have been more miss than hit.

Yes, recent signings like Ronaldo, Rooney and Van der Sar have been wasted money...  Yeah sure

Thom@s
"If guns don't kill people, people kill people - does that mean toasters don't toast toast, toast toast toast?"

TheSonntag

Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:55 pm

Quoting ABfemme (Reply 6):
I can think of nothing more satisfying than watch United go out of Europe

Too right - best thing that could have happened

So true... I think ManU needs to start all over again. I think their group was the most dull, boring one of all champions leage groups...

On the other hand, Barcelona won yesterday in Udine, even though they already were qualified, thus allowing Bremen to continue... That's real fair play, and both Bremen and Barcelona showed real great football... Altogether I think the right teams continue in the Champions league...

whitehatter

Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:05 am

I can't believe all the clueless posts in this thread.

"Buy so-and-so and pay him huge wages, that'll settle down the midfield" and the like.

ARE YOU BLIND?

They do NOT need to buy ANYONE. They need to clear out the crap first. Buying new players just puts sticking plaster over the deep wounds of not having a motivated team, and those huge salaried players who are not performing need sweeping out first. Only then, once the losers like Ferdinand have been sold on can you start rebuilding, and it will take the removal of Ferguson too to acomplish that. Buying now just means buying players to try and fill the gaps in an underperforming squad.

Sorry Alex, thanks for the memories and all that, but it's time to retire to your horses and booze. I would try and lure Steve McLaren or Big Sam Allardyce down to Old Trafford, although the Glazers might well want to look abroad for their new boss.
Lead me not into temptation, I can find my own way there...

mhodgson

Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:12 am

I really hope Burton beat them, being a supporter of a fellow conference team. And a Man Utd disliker!
No trees were harmed by this message. However, several million electrons were terribly inconvenienced

nighthawk

Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:31 am

ive watched a few man utd games recently, and the performance has been dreadful, nothing like previous years flowing football. They used to be a dream to watch, now its more of a nightmare.

Ferguson will be gone in the summer, as will a few players. Giggs, Saha, Smith and Ferdinand will be out, ronaldo might follow if he doesnt learn to pass and stop diving.

Martin O'Neal for the Man Utd job...

Thom@s

Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:33 am

Quoting Nighthawk (Reply 15):
Giggs, Saha, Smith and Ferdinand will be out, ronaldo might follow if he doesnt learn to pass and stop diving.

I repectfully and Strongly disagree...

Thom@s

Sabena332

Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:34 am

I have to agree that yesterday's game (and their Champions League games in general) were pretty bad, I expected much more from a team that used to be world-class than the last place in their Champions League group.

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

BigOrange

Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:46 am

Best news I've heard in years!

They're following the lead of that other team of overpaid and underperforming losers - New York Yankees, although I do have to be careful what I say about them in family circles due to family ties to the team!

Now if only Wigan could get relegated from Super League in Rugby League, I would be a very happy man!

CHRISBA777ER

Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:38 am

Love it - United lose and you have a go at Chelsea.

Nobody likes us. And we dont care.
What do you mean you dont have any bourbon? Do you know how far it is to Houston? What kind of airline is this???

cosec59

Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:41 am

Stamford Bridge. Home of white van man and the chav
Rules are for the obedience of fools but for the guidance of wise men

aireuropeuk733

Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:53 am

It couldn't have happened to a nicer team  Smile

Can I feel relegation coming on - let's hope so. That'll give the smug gits something to think about!!

AE733
It's nice to fly with friends

scbriml

Fri Dec 09, 2005 6:08 am

Quoting Thom@s (Reply 11):
Yes, recent signings like Ronaldo, Rooney and Van der Sar have been wasted money...

Rooney I don't dispute. Ronaldo is a trick pony who's never much use when MU are losing a game (like last night). Van der Sar is an OK GK, but not in the top drawer these days. A temporary stop-gap at best.

I'm sure you can supply a list of the lemons as well if you really tried. I'll give you a few to get you started - Veron (cost £28m, sold for £15m 2 years later), Howard, Bellion, Djemba-Djemba, Saha. Feel free to carry on...  sarcastic 
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!

scallar

Fri Dec 09, 2005 6:09 am

Ferguson's expression at the final whistle was priceless - he looked a shadow of the arrogant, egotistic git of a few seasons ago.

checkmark 

They had to go sooner or later, because the trophy will end up in Turin and Juve this year.  bigthumbsup 

/Scallar

FLYtoEGCC

Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:04 am

Quoting Scbriml (Reply 22):
Veron (cost £28m, sold for £15m 2 years later), Howard, Bellion, Djemba-Djemba, Saha. Feel free to carry on...

Klerberson, Bosnich, Van der Gouw, Alan Smith...

lh477

Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:28 am

Finally!....Hate Man U.....

Go ARSENAL......
Come on you gunners......!!!!!

BHXFAOTIPYYC

Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:10 am

Quoting LH477 (Reply 25):
Go ARSE ANAL......

No, I wouldn't say that either...

but I will say nice job BENFICA !!
 bigthumbsup 
Breakfast in BHX, lunch in FAO, dinner in TIP, baggage in YYC.

manc

Fri Dec 09, 2005 6:45 pm

Come lads we've had this coming for the last few seasons and I'm a season ticket holder at OT, its been a slow decline, OK we're 2nd in the Prem(says a lot for the likes of Arsenal and the scousers doesn't it  Wink ) but we're playing crap football. Chelsea have the money so they are not even in the same league now.

Fergie is the main man who takes should take the flack but the other guy is Carlos Querioz, this bloke is "a tactician", yeah look where he has taken us since 1999 playing 4-4-2 and winning the lot!! 4-5-1 defensive rubbish. First to go should be poor old Carlos, then mikky phelan, behind the scenes at Old Trafford is where the onfield problems lie. Do you think Keano would have left if all was well...no chance!
We should have bought a Keano replacement years ago, cannot keep patching him up season after season.
Darren Flecther is not Utd quality, get rid along with Richardson, Giggs (past it). Alan Smith is a great player but not a Midfielder, and scholesy lad has gone off the boil!
Mikky well I'm not wasting typing anything about this useless fella.
Rio has his moments aswell but he needs kick up the backside which I think Gary Nev will do now he's back.

Be good when Heinze's back, Parks been a good player, van der saar excellent and Rooney what can you say.
Don't think we need to many new faces, just a bit of backroom harmony.

Get back to 4-4-2, get some bite back into Midfield and get rid of Querioz.

Pay me £100k per week for this great info  Wink
No URL in signature please

cornish

Fri Dec 09, 2005 6:56 pm

Well if they want to turn things around, a good start would be to stop playing Les Ferdinand in defence  Wink
Just when I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, it was some B*****d with a torch bringing me more work

aireuropeuk733

Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:06 pm

Quoting Manc (Reply 27):
this bloke is "a tactician", yeah look where he has taken us since 1999 playing 4-4-2 and winning the lot!! 4-5-1 defensive rubbish

Look at the other 'great tactician' we had at Fratton Park. Did exactly the same thing 4-4-2 to 4-5-1 and now Pompey are in the bottom 3 and play like crap. Let's hope 'Arry can turn it around.

AE733
It's nice to fly with friends