kiwiandrew

Kiwis/aussies Stranded In Europe?

Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:47 am

anyone else finding the buildup to xmas hard to take with the horrible European weather ?

I am just dying to go to a beach , or a park and sunbathe , and have a proper xmas picnic or b-b-q .

Brussels is cold , grey and depressing like a big cemetery , I walked my dog today in the park and the trees were all bare and dead looking - how do the Europeans cope with their godawful winters . I have never , in years , of travelling felt as homesick as I do at the moment - any tips (other than getting drunk or going home ) for getting through the next few weeks ?

my other half was brought up in Scotland and is looking forward to his first 'proper' xmas in years , but I have to say I just find it grey and depressing .

kiwiinoz

RE: Kiwis/aussies Stranded In Europe?

Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:55 am

I do remember London being a depressing place at Chistmas, even with plenty of mates there it was all a bit bleak. Not to mention the fact that the city pretty much shuts down so you couldn't go anywhere. Not sure how this compares to Brussels.

Why not organise a bit of backyard cricket in the snow/rain/miserable weather. We did that one Xmas as a bit of a reminder of the typical kiwi Xmas. Was great fun and the locals look at you like your an idiot, (they were onto something)

kiwiandrew

Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:58 am

Quoting KiwiinOz (Reply 1):
Why not organise a bit of backyard cricket in the snow/rain/miserable weather. We did that one Xmas as a bit of a reminder of the typical kiwi Xmas. Was great fun and the locals look at you like your an idiot, (they were onto something)

sounds like an idea - the Bruxellois would definitely all be baffled by cricket - backyard could be a problem , we're on the third floor - still , it's a starting point - thanks  thumbsup 

QANTASforever

Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:18 am

Quoting KiwiinOz (Reply 1):

Heh - you can do that, or head to the beach. Now THAT would get you some funny looks in the midst of a European winter.

Seriously though - we've all experienced tens of hot hot Christmases - enjoy your White Christmas, it's a rare thing for us antipodeans!

QFF
Fighting for the glory of the Australian Republic.

kiwiandrew

Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:25 am

Quoting QANTASforever (Reply 3):
Seriously though - we've all experienced tens of hot hot Christmases - enjoy your White Christmas, it's a rare thing for us antipodeans!

I know , it should be a treat , the last time I had a northern hemispere xmas I really enjoyed it , and in theory I should be looking forward to this one although I suspect it will be grey , not white , but for some reason it has just happened to coincide with a bout of homesickness .

It's actually quite funny in a way ,the poor bloody locals have no idea , they actually think that this is how xmas is meant to be , cold , dark , wet and dreary - so they don't actually have enough imagination to be depressed about it - probably just as well , I imagine the suicide rate here would triple overnight if they ever realised that xmas is actually meant to be hot and sunny - thanks anyway , mate and hope you enjoy a nice baking hot xmas - with great food on the b-b-q and ice cold beer

QANTASforever

Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:37 am

Quoting Kiwiandrew (Reply 4):
thanks anyway , mate and hope you enjoy a nice baking hot xmas - with great food on the b-b-q and ice cold beer

Heh - maybe we should meet half-way. It was 40 degrees here in Sydney the other day. I wonder what the Bruxellois would make of that in December!?

QFF
Fighting for the glory of the Australian Republic.

kiwiandrew

Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:40 am

Quoting QANTASforever (Reply 5):
Heh - maybe we should meet half-way. It was 40 degrees here in Sydney the other day. I wonder what the Bruxellois would make of that in December!?

don't know about them , but I would swap in an instant if I had the chance  Wink

FlyboyOz

Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:08 am

Sounds like you are talking about Charles Dicken's stories...The Christmas Carol and The Great Expectation! Those are my favourite novels! Call me old-traditioned guy cos I'm dying to have snow. It was so beautiful to have snow during christmas day. It made me feel so peaceful and happy.

I hate summer because it's too hot for me...I cant stand it!
The Spirit of AustraliAN - Longreach

ZKSUJ

Fri Dec 09, 2005 6:29 pm

Having heaps of fun heading to the beach, its pissing down cats and dogs here in NZ!!!
The beach and BBQs will have to wait for a while yet. Big grin

kiwiandrew

Fri Dec 09, 2005 6:33 pm

Quoting ZKSUJ (Reply 8):
its pissing down cats and dogs here in NZ!!!

thanks mate , nothing like a nice touch of schadenfreude to brighten up my day  thumbsup  at least here the weather is meant to be shitty

ClassicLover

Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:32 pm

Quoting Kiwiandrew (Thread starter):
anyone else finding the buildup to xmas hard to take with the horrible European weather ?

It's lovely here in Dublin... cold and grey, sure, but it's lovely having a cold Christmas for once, instead of sweating to death. I will also note that my general alcohol consumption has increased markedly since the weather changed...

Trent.
I do quite enjoy a spot of flying - more so when it's not in Economy!

ManuCH
Crew

Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:36 pm

Am I the only one glad to see it's snowing when I wake up in the morning? It's soooo lovely... just leave your car at home when it happens  Smile

I probably would take a trip to the North Pole in summer just to escape the warm temperatures...

-Manuel
Never trust a statistic you didn't fake yourself

kiwiandrew

Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:43 pm

Quoting ManuCH (Reply 11):
Am I the only one glad to see it's snowing when I wake up in the morning?

snow would be nice ... had it about two weeks ago and BRU looked beautiful
( and it was a lot of fun watching our dogs reaction ... it was her first ever snow ) unfortunately now it has all gone and BRU is just grey on grey ...I am sure that when the snow comes back I will cheer up a lot - I have started to smile just thinking about it - so thanks for cheering me up  thumbsup 

macc

Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:48 pm

well, what to say. I miss my trips to asia so much when vienna starts into the grey months. as an expert on this, my advice is:

get a lovely girl, a lovely vine and some good books and stay in until the spring comes back.
I exchanged political frustration with sexual boredom. better spoil a girl than the world

kiwiandrew

Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:50 pm

Quoting Macc (Reply 13):
get a lovely girl, a lovely vine and some good books and stay in until the spring comes back.

thanks for the advice , I'm not sure what my partner would think about it though , he is the jealous type .... thanks for cheering me up .

macc

Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:24 pm

well, then, forget about the girl Big grin
I exchanged political frustration with sexual boredom. better spoil a girl than the world

kiwiandrew

Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:31 pm

Quoting Macc (Reply 15):
well, then, forget about the girl

what girl ?  Big grin

petertenthije

Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:47 am

Quoting Kiwiandrew (Reply 4):
It's actually quite funny in a way ,the poor bloody locals have no idea , they actually think that this is how xmas is meant to be , cold , dark , wet and dreary - so they don't actually have enough imagination to be depressed about it - probably just as well , I imagine the suicide rate here would triple overnight if they ever realised that xmas is actually meant to be hot and sunny

That's the final drop. Bye bye bad world, I will have to commit suicide now.

cya later, or not... whatever  Wink
Attamottamotta!

kiwiandrew

Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:56 am

Quoting Petertenthije (Reply 17):
That's the final drop. Bye bye bad world, I will have to commit suicide now.

it's a shame about the whole suicide thing ... but the thread was addressed to Kiwis and Aussies - and you are neither , so I would have had to kill you anyway for reading it ( don't worry , I would have done it humanely )

petertenthije

Sat Dec 10, 2005 3:00 am

Quoting Kiwiandrew (Reply 18):
( don't worry , I would have done it humanely )

That's better then the way I would have done my suicide, so I am putting my suicide on hold. When can you come over? About an hours drive from Antwerpen.
Attamottamotta!