fxramper

Do You Enjoy What You Do For A Living?

Sat Dec 10, 2005 9:59 am

What do you do for a living? Do you enjoy it? Any passions that you want to consider down the road of life?

Dream Job?

I am a full time student double majoring in Business Admin/Poli Sci at TxState University. I work p/t at AUS, for FX. I load the DC10, MD10, A300, 727 and occassionaly other FX a/c that make runs into the airport for cargo.

I love what I do for a living and hope to spin it off into a career in aviation!

Still highly considering military as career also...

Took this pic of my baby. Hope to get some better ones and get them approved by airliner photo screeners and in the database!

Regards to all!

[Edited 2005-12-10 02:10:18]

boeingfever777

RE: Do You Enjoy Your What You Do For A Living?

Sat Dec 10, 2005 10:13 am

Lets see... I work at Bestbuy in the ATX as the Idea Box Guy/Media.

Sure I enjoy what I do... The University of Texas and Texas State University send in some mighty fine ladies to look at daily that and 17$/hr not bad.

Go Horns! Hook'em!
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre.

ANCFlyer

RE: Do You Enjoy What You Do For A Living?

Sat Dec 10, 2005 10:19 am

Immensely. Great Job. Great People to work with. Both my career in the Army and this "retirement" job have been extremely rewarding. Looking back I don't think I'd change much - if anything - I did . . . and looking forward, well I think I'll be satisfied with what I've done for 29+ years.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

usnseallt82

Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:53 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 2):
well I think I'll be satisfied with what I've done for 29+ years.

and the halibut rejoice  Big grin

I will agree that I am very pleased in my current career field. It took some doing and some discovery in other areas, but I'm very pleased with aviation and have an immense love for it......otherwise I would give a rat's ass about you people on here.  Big grin

As far as your goals, go for them. I have my opinions on what route would be easier for a good career in aviation, but to be perfectly honest, whatever you do will give you the love of the skies.......regardless of what path you choose to get there. Study hard and ask questions........a good pilot is one that is forever learning to perfect his/her skills. You'll do fine in whatever you do.
Crye me a river

HAWK21M

Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:38 pm

I sure do.
Working in Mx is challenging.
Although some times working 5 nights a week is tiring especially if one has a cold or not too well or not rested well after the previous night.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

jafa39

Sat Dec 10, 2005 6:05 pm

I fly about and talk to people, sometimes they feed me and sometimes I don't have to pay for the beers.

I get to drive about a lot and have plenty of time to go fishing.

If I wasn't doing this I would like to be a writer and write travel books but also I think writing short, dirty, stories might be a good sideline too.

I might like to be an actor as I am basically a bit of a thespian on the quiet, being immensely rich wouldn't bother me too much but it might please Mrs Jafa, who probably still wouldn't ever leave NZ but she would undoubtedly have more shoes.

If you are starting out on your career path my advice to you would be to not consider that your choices now have to be final, 40 is a long way off, there is still plenty of time to change course but whatever you do, start sticking a few $$$'s away in a pension plan as soon as you start earning and before you get used to spending it.

Jafa39
We, the undersigned, do hereby consent.....

trekster

Sat Dec 10, 2005 6:56 pm

Im in Customer Support for a Major Airline (you all know what it is, if ya dont, ask)

Best job i have ever had. Hours are good (if u call 0730 good lol) People i work with are great. The supervisors are great. Love my job

(Bit sad really) lol
Where does the time go???

fxramper

Sun Dec 11, 2005 4:55 am

Quoting Trekster (Reply 6):
for a Major Airline (you all know what it is, if ya dont, ask)

Sorry, noob here, which airline you working for? BA? VS?

Thanks!

Logan22L

Sun Dec 11, 2005 5:05 am

I love my current job, but it took nearly 20 years of various forms of misery (not all!) to get here. I provide technical support to EPA for national drinking water regulations, and dabble in various superfund sites around the country and hazardous materials releases in Massachusetts. I've also been appointed to assume much of the Quality Assurance Quality Control (QA/QC) functions of our Chairman of the Board (who also happens to be our QA/QC Officer). This should give me the opportunity to fly around the country a bit more to train and audit our staff and those of our sub-contractors.
"The deeper you go, the higher you fly. The higher you fly, the deeper you go."

Nordair

Sun Dec 11, 2005 5:06 am

It's better than a root canal, I suppose.
"It is never legitimate to use the words of scripture to promote a loveless agenda." - Right Rev. Dr. Peter Short

jutes85

Sun Dec 11, 2005 5:23 am

Hmm, let me see.....

Free food, housing, SCHOOL, get to work with aircraft, and I get paid. Life sucks. Big grin
nothing

jafa39

Sun Dec 11, 2005 6:58 am

Quoting Jutes85 (Reply 10):
Free food, housing, SCHOOL, get to work with aircraft, and I get paid. Life sucks.

I feel your pain  Wink
We, the undersigned, do hereby consent.....

RobK

Sun Dec 11, 2005 7:20 am

Yes I enjoy my line of work. I pick and choose when I work and dictate how much I get paid! Worst part is having to deal with other clueless driver's and drive along motorways at 10mph  Sad.

Could be worse, I could work in a office  Sad  Sad  Sad.

RK

seb146

Sun Dec 11, 2005 7:27 am

I enjoy my job except the pay. I deliver pizzas on Portland's West side. It was challenging at first since I was not familiar with the Sylvan, Multnomah/Vermont, Burlingame and Tryon areas, but now it is so freakin' easy! I get to check out some of the most expensive homes and hotels in the Northwest and meet some real charicters. No nudie stories yet, although I have delivered to one strip club and two lingere modeling stores. Not that it really did anything for me. I just wish I could be paid more per hour.

GO CANUCKS!!
Life in the wall is a drag.

sleekjet

Sun Dec 11, 2005 7:42 am

I hate my job...and this is the 36th year of it (teaching middle school). I've tolerated it because the time off is exceptional. But enough is enough, and this is my final year.

No real retirement plans other than service work for my church and hanging out at the airport with my camera.
II Cor. 4:17-18

PMN

Sun Dec 11, 2005 7:49 am

I'm a live sound engineer and bass player, and having just finished a 23 hour working day I'm inclined to say I don't enjoy it, but that isn't really the case. The hours are ridiculously long sometimes, travelling as much as we do can be difficult, the job itself can be extremely stressful and non-forgiving, and it can involve not having a life for months on end.

That said, I've worked with some indescribably great musicians, travelled to some awesome places, met some wonderful people and been given a view of life many people can only dream about. It has its bad points, and I occasionally spend the odd hour whinging about them, but I wouldn't swap it for anything else.

Paul
Edith in his bed, a plane in the rain is humming, the wires in the walls are humming some song - some mysterious song

mhodgson

Sun Dec 11, 2005 7:52 am

I'm currently doing data validation for UFindUs.com, a new direcotry service for the UK, similar to Yell. The job itself if boring, and has crap pay, but it is a stop gap until uni, so I can deal with that.

The actual days are OK, as I have a good laugh with my colleagues, and a PC with internet access. Could be worse!
No trees were harmed by this message. However, several million electrons were terribly inconvenienced

usnseallt82

Sun Dec 11, 2005 11:25 am

Quoting Logan22L (Reply 8):
I provide technical support to EPA for national drinking water regulations,

Damnit........knew I shouldn't have pissed in that river.  Big grin
Crye me a river

Logan22L

Sun Dec 11, 2005 11:56 am

Quoting Usnseallt82 (Reply 17):
Damnit........knew I shouldn't have pissed in that river.

Don't worry, we'll find your urea and mail it back to you.  Wink
"The deeper you go, the higher you fly. The higher you fly, the deeper you go."

usnseallt82

Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:06 pm

Quoting Logan22L (Reply 18):
Don't worry, we'll find your urea and mail it back to you.

eyepopping 

Just don't mail back the 'other' gift I placed in the river.  Big grin
Crye me a river

stlgph

Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:35 pm

I enjoy what I do...all five different things. I do complain that sometimes the jobs suck because the work is intermittent for each and every one of them. One month all five can call and need you every day and put a good (for example) $100 in your pocket. Then the next month, someone might call once which gives you $5.

It's like being in a sales job and living on comission, except I'm not in sales. So what I tend to do is take the first couple of months of what I make and stash it away and budget it out for the rest of the year. Yes, even I, with my admittedly overboard spending sprees from time to time, do have a budget. Makes you more honest and it's nice to have money in the bank for a rainy day when your car happens to need new tires or whatever else might happen.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

skysurfer

Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:48 pm

I love what i do to a point.....i love dealing with customers at the same time as i hate alot of them for the kindergarten shit they pull. I love delivering around the city for the freedom it gives me and i love being kept busy whilst being allowed to make decisions on my own. Yet i hate the ever too present 'what are you up to' or ' this and that needs doing'. It totally undermines what i'm doing by the other ppl needing to exert their fragile authority. I know what i'm doing, i know what needs doing and to be honest my name isn't above the door, but i know alot more than the ppl that should! But i choose to stay in this job so i can't or shouldn't complain, but i feel like i'm undervalued/underappreciated. One day i'll hand in my notcie and leave and that'll be that...till then i just smile and nod and the 9 hours go by!

Cheers
In the dark you can't see ugly, but you can feel fat

An-225

Sun Dec 11, 2005 2:46 pm

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Alexander Kroychik
View Large View Medium

View Large View Medium

View Large View Medium

I enjoy my job as a ramper at United Airlines, but could definitely benefit from higher pay and more frequent upgrades (22 an hour!). Lots of times there is inclement weather, short and heavy turns, but I wouldn't trade this job in for a desk job under the gunpoint.

Alex.
Money does not bring you happiness. But it's better to cry in your own private limo than on a cold bus stop.

fxramper

Sun Dec 11, 2005 3:53 pm

Quoting An-225 (Reply 22):
22 an hour!).

Alexander,

Is that what you think your worth an hour?  Smile

I could use more than what I make also as a ramper/loader!

Regards!

KC135R

Sun Dec 11, 2005 4:09 pm

My current job is as a hydraulics maintainer in the USAF. I like what I do, but don't "love" it. I do love being around airplanes, I truly enjoy the aviation world.

Dream job? To transition from maintenance and become a commercial airline pilot, that's what I hope to do.