MSYtristar
Topic Author

Superdome: Can Be Open By 11/1/06

Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:59 am

http://www.nola.com/newsflash/louisi...5458285670.xml&storylist=louisiana

This article talks about the plans for the Superdome's restoration and renovation.

The schedule would allow football games and other events to be held in the building as of 11/1/06, which is good news for the Saints, Tulane, Bayou Classic, New Orleans Bowl, and the Sugar Bowl.

As part of the renovation, the building will get a much needed upgrade, featuring new seats, new suites, scoreboards, meeting rooms, expanded concourses, and other amenities.

S12PPL

RE: Superdome: Can Be Open By 11/1/06

Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:13 am

That would be great! I know a guy that went to the Super Dome a few years back, and said it was amazing how big it was. It will be nice to see teams continue to use it!
Next Flights: 12/31 AS804 PDX-MCO 2/3 AS19 MCO-SEA QX2545 SEA-PDX

Gatorman96

Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:18 am

I guess that's good for the morale of New Orleans and tourism, but after all of Mayor Nagan's bitching, I would imagine the displaced residents of NO would want some of that $140 mill spent on rebuilding their houses and not on new skyboxes...Is it a done deal that the Saints are coming back? I hope they do, that would be crappy to see the Saints leave!

MSYtristar
Topic Author

Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:24 am

Quoting Gatorman96 (Reply 2):
I guess that's good for the morale of New Orleans and tourism, but after all of Mayor Nagan's bitching, I would imagine the displaced residents of NO would want some of that $140 mill spent on rebuilding their houses and not on new skyboxes...Is it a done deal that the Saints are coming back? I hope they do, that would be crappy to see the Saints leave!

From what I can tell, most of the residents are all for this. The Dome is sort of a symbol of the city. It is important from a revenue standpoint that it get rebuilt. The city is not seeing a lot of income (bascially none) right now. The lack of sporting events in the city hurts.

As for the Saints, the NFL has said they want to do everything they can to keep them in Louisiana. They'll prob have to play some games in BTR (maybe SAT) next year before the Superdome reopens.

Gatorman96

Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:29 am

Well, if that's the case, then that is great news. I have had a lot of fun times in New Orleans and can't wait to visit again. It by far the best place to have a BCS bowl!

Go3Team

Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:51 am

Quoting MSYtristar (Reply 3):
From what I can tell, most of the residents are all for this.

Yeah, they need a place to stay during future hurricanes.
Yay Pudding!

searpqx

Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:19 am

Quoting MSYtristar (Reply 3):
From what I can tell, most of the residents are all for this. The Dome is sort of a symbol of the city. It is important from a revenue standpoint that it get rebuilt. The city is not seeing a lot of income (basically none) right now. The lack of sporting events in the city hurts.

As an outsider, what you say makes sense, but there was an interesting article in the Seattle Times this morning about flack the city is receiving over Mardi Gras plans for this year. Many residents are quoted as saying that money earmarked for Mardi Gras should be diverted to rebuilding. Since Mardi Gras is as much as symbol and revenue source for New Orleans as the Dome, I wonder if rebuilding the Dome will meet the same resistance.
"The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity"

MSYtristar
Topic Author

Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:43 am

Quoting Searpqx (Reply 6):
Since Mardi Gras is as much as symbol and revenue source for New Orleans as the Dome, I wonder if rebuilding the Dome will meet the same resistance.

There will always be resistance. The fact is that Mardi Gras needs to go on to bring some $$$ into the city, which will benefit everyone. The same holds true with the Superdome. Some may question the project, but if you take into consideration the overall economic boost that will take place (which I'm sure a lot of people don't think about), it's a good thing.