Bobster2
Topic Author

Problem With Comedy Central Videos

Thu Dec 15, 2005 7:34 am

I know there are Comedy Central fans here, maybe you can help me.

They changed their video server to something call Motherload. All I get is a popup window that says "Motherload Motherloading". That's it. No evidence of anything downloading. Norton Internet Security is turned off. There is an exclamation mark error message at the lower left of the IE popup window.

What is blcoking my download? Anybody have a clue?

Thanks.
"I tell you this, no eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn." Jim Morrison

Klaus

RE: Problem With Comedy Central Videos

Thu Dec 15, 2005 7:52 am

No problem here! Big grin

(Maybe your firewall is a bit over-eager...?)

Go3Team

Thu Dec 15, 2005 7:57 am

I think the exclamation point means something about an error while downloading the page. Might be a javascript problem. Check your settings to see if javascript applets are allowed.
Yay Pudding!

Klaus

Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:04 am

Javascript has nothing to do with Applets... Those are actual Java which has nothing to do with Javascript (the name similarity is strictly coincidental/misleading).

As far as I can tell you need to have JavaScript and the Windows Media plugin enabled, probably Cookies as well.

Bobster2
Topic Author

Fri Dec 16, 2005 3:47 am

I read the Help/FAQ and followed all the troubleshooting steps. Still not working.  Sad

So I googled some recent "Daily Show" video clips that people put on their blogs. If Comedy Central wants to make it so hard to view the legal clips, there are other ways to work around the problem.
"I tell you this, no eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn." Jim Morrison

Klaus

Fri Dec 16, 2005 5:38 am

Which operating system and which browser do you use? Do you have a firewall? Do you use an external router?

(Please remember that enabling scripting in Internet Explorer is dangerous - use another browser instead.)

Bobster2
Topic Author

Fri Dec 16, 2005 5:55 am

Quoting Klaus (Reply 5):
Which operating system and which browser do you use? Do you have a firewall? Do you use an external router?

Windows XP, all the latest service packs and updates. I have the latest Windows Media player and hot fixes, the latest Flash, the latest Quicktime. I normally use Norton Internet Security firewall, but I had it turned off when I tried to view the Motherload videos.

I don't really know anything about the Windows firewall, nor do I know about the IE browser security settings. How should they be configured? I probably have default settings now.

I'm in a hotel with a WiFi connection. The hotel has WiFi but they don't get Comedy Central on the cable TV. That's my problem. Big grin