4holer
Topic Author

Bagpipes And Funerals, A Morbid Cliche

Sat Dec 17, 2005 1:18 pm

Is it just me, or is there something terribly wrong with a profession that high fives when they see on the news that a cop or fireman was killed on the job because they know they are about to get a gig? Who started this godawful insanity? Do we really think Amazing Grace on the pipes is appropriate at EVERY SINGLE FUNERAL of a cop/fireman? It's just creepy at this point!
I've felt this way for a while, but this article devotes several sentences to the pipers alone!
http://www.postgazette.com/pg/05350/623602.stm

Seriously, is it just me or is this just wrong?
Ghosts appear and fade away.....................

RNOcommctr

RE: Bagpipes And Funerals, A Morbid Cliche

Sun Dec 18, 2005 6:16 am

With all due respect to the deceased and their loved ones, yes, I do agree with you. It has become a cliche. I don't remember it much before about ten years or so ago and now I cringe every time the routine shows up on TV news.

Hey, these people who sacrificed their lives in public service were individuals--so how about a ceremony that shows their individuality and isn't just part of a cookie-cutter routine.
Active loading only, ma'am, keep it moving!

777236ER

Sun Dec 18, 2005 6:21 am

Aren't most funerals pretty morbid?
Your bone's got a little machine

TNboy

Sun Dec 18, 2005 7:04 am

Bagpipes are pretty much a fixture at a lot of funeral services here. (And weddings, for some bizarre reason!).

I think they add to the melancholy of the situation, which seems to suit most people. A lot depends on the ability of the piper. Maybe we dont get as many public cop/fireman funerals, so it doesn't have the exposure to become a cliche - the description of the massed band of pipers, and the lone piper disappearing over a hill sure sounds extremely theatrical. (... makes mental note for last requests...)

But isn't a funeral meant to be about the deceased, and not the special effects? Sounds like the organisers had the priorities a bit skewed maybe?

Cheers
Bill
"...every aircraft is subtly different.."

TPAnx

Sun Dec 18, 2005 2:25 pm

Someone, I don't recall the source,once definated a gentleman as someone
who knows how to play the bagpipes...but doesn't.  Smile
TPAnx
I read the news today..oh boy

ShyFlyer

Sun Dec 18, 2005 2:44 pm

One man's cliche is another's tradition.

Most Police/Firefighter funerals are the same, though I'm sure the department would honor any special requests by the family.
I lift things up and put them down.

nighthawk

Mon Dec 19, 2005 4:10 am

i thought each fire department in the US had its own pipe band, and it was them that played at the funerals for their colleagues?

AsstChiefMark

Mon Dec 19, 2005 4:18 am

Quoting ShyFlyer (Reply 5):
One man's cliche is another's tradition

Exactly.

Not every LEO or FF gets the pipes. Those that die in the line of duty or have a long history in the profession are the most-likely candidates. However, the family has the final say.

I've made my wishes aware to my friends and family. I want the pipes. I also want one of my department's trucks to carry my casket...no hearse for me.

Mark
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

DLKAPA

Mon Dec 19, 2005 4:56 am

Quoting TNboy (Reply 3):
(And weddings, for some bizarre reason!).

Wedding = end of life.
And all at once the crowd begins to sing: Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same