TUNisia
Topic Author

Best Route From LHR To LGW (hotel)

Sat Dec 17, 2005 3:42 pm

We're arriving at LHR in January on our way to Egypt. We arrive at 8 p.m. and then need to get to our hotel at LGW (the Ramada Plaza hotel). What is the best way and the least expensive way to get from Heathrow to this hotel?

One option would be that we could just go from LHR to LGW somehow, and have the hotel pick us up at LGW. If you know of an easier way please let me know! Thanks!!!

Smile
Someday the sun will shine down on me in some faraway place - Mahalia Jackson

runway23

RE: Best Route From LHR To LGW (hotel)

Sat Dec 17, 2005 3:58 pm

National Express (coach service) is by far the easiest and probably most cost efficient (unfortunately with London prices) between LHR/LGW.

www.nationalexpress.com

whitehatter

Sat Dec 17, 2005 11:05 pm

Easily the best and cheapest way of doing it is on the bus.

Forget using taxis or trains. It will either cost you a fortune (taxi) or cost you a fortune AND take longer (train).

Shame the helicopter service doesn't run any more!
Lead me not into temptation, I can find my own way there...

trekster

Sun Dec 18, 2005 5:03 am

As said, the LHR/LGW EXPRESS bus, run by national express (though some people think its BA operated lol) is the best way. It takes around a hour, and goes from the central bus station.
Where does the time go???

kaddyuk

Sun Dec 18, 2005 5:26 am

Quoting Trekster (Reply 3):
As said, the LHR/LGW EXPRESS bus, run by national express (though some people think its BA operated lol) is the best way. It takes around a hour, and goes from the central bus station.

And is also frigging extortionate... But alas the only really cost effective way of doing the journey.

Quoting WhiteHatter (Reply 2):

Its not too complicated, you get the X27 (i think) to Croydon then a train from Croydon to Gatwick... It also takes forever...
Whoever said "laughter is the best medicine" never had Gonorrhea

KaiGywer
Crew

Tue Dec 20, 2005 12:32 am

Is your flight to London arriving at LHR, and leaving from LGW? I would assume this would be the only reason to get a hotel at a different airport. Depending on the size of your party, it might be cheaper to rent a car for the night. The bus is 18 GBP per adult, and a rental can be had for about 50 GBP. Then you can even do some driving around if you are so inclined.

Quoting WhiteHatter (Reply 2):

Doing WHAT on the bus?  Wink
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

Banco

Tue Dec 20, 2005 12:40 am

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 5):
it might be cheaper to rent a car for the night

Ooh yes! Hit the M25 in rush hour, driving on the left for the first time. Using the time-honoured British technique of joining the carriageway at about 90 mph (to get on) then slamming on the brakes down to about 40. Enjoy.  Wink

I wouldn't recommend anyone does that trip as their first attempt over here.
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

cornish

Tue Dec 20, 2005 12:45 am

Quoting Banco (Reply 6):
Ooh yes! Hit the M25 in rush hour, driving on the left for the first time. Using the time-honoured British technique of joining the carriageway at about 90 mph (to get on) then slamming on the brakes down to about 40. Enjoy.

Yep and generally getting in the way of us hardened commuters busy charging down the fast lane only to be held up by some foreigner shitting themselves  Wink

Definitely take the bus....
Just when I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, it was some B*****d with a torch bringing me more work

kaddyuk

Tue Dec 20, 2005 1:30 am

You can get a cab for £60 if there are four of you that works out at £15 each AND it is alot faster than the coach.

Dont get a black cab however, pre-book a private-hire cab...
Whoever said "laughter is the best medicine" never had Gonorrhea

KaiGywer
Crew

Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:11 am

Quoting Banco (Reply 6):
Ooh yes! Hit the M25 in rush hour, driving on the left for the first time. Using the time-honoured British technique of joining the carriageway at about 90 mph (to get on) then slamming on the brakes down to about 40. Enjoy.

If you guys would just learn to drive on the right side of the road, everything would be all good  Wink (Right/Left, Right/Wrong...sense a pattern? lol)
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

soups

Wed Dec 21, 2005 4:54 am

Why don't u get some flights like LHR-AMS-LGW  Smile
Next destinations, Suarabaya, beirut, paris, Accra

Banco

Wed Dec 21, 2005 5:00 am

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 9):
If you guys would just learn to drive on the right side of the road, everything would be all good

We've always had a problem bowing down before French dictators who command such a thing. Clearly, you do not.  Wink
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.