HAWK21M
Topic Author

Poor Celebrating Christmas In Your Country

Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:06 am

Most countries wont have many Poor people.But How is Christmas celebrated out there.Apart from the Charity dinners offered by some organisations.
How is it really celebrated by the poor.

I remember in my tough times as a kid.We used to build a crib & a small false tree. use candles & sing christmas carols together.A few sweets were made at home.Those were peaceful & happy times,although I always wished I could get big presents like my friends did.Today when I can,I don't feel like it anymore. Weird.

But thinking of those days still bring back good memories of Christmas.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

RichardPrice

RE: Poor Celebrating Christmas In Your Country

Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:30 am

The best Christmas I have ever had in recent years (so discounting those special family times as a kid) was when I spent one Christmas one year with a disabled couple on benefits. They didnt have much money, but they had lots of spirit and the 4 days I was there was nothing but pure fun and enjoyment.

Christmas dinner was simple - a small turkey, some stuffing balls, some veg and roast potatoes. Nothing fancy, as fancy can either be expensive or require time stood up in the kitchen (neither could stand for more than a few minutes at a time due to their disabilities). But it was perfect. The day was then spent talking, listening to music or watching videos, or playing card or board games.

Im not poor, but they invited me around as their friend, refused to accept any money from me for the food, and made sure I didnt spend more than a few pounds on each in presents.

That christmas, I learnt something about pride.

HAWK21M
Topic Author

Wed Dec 21, 2005 12:56 am

Quoting RichardPrice (Reply 1):
Im not poor, but they invited me around as their friend, refused to accept any money from me for the food, and made sure I didnt spend more than a few pounds on each in presents.

That christmas, I learnt something about pride

Thats what I've noticed too.These people have not a lot of money,but a lot of self respect.Which is Fantastic.
regds
MEL

lentigomaligna

Wed Dec 21, 2005 1:52 am

Many people, organizations, and companies here do what's called "sub-for-Santa" where people donate gifts for underpriveleged families. Last year on the 24th, me and several others delivered gifts (purchased by dozens of people) to six poor families who had children with terminal/chronic illnesses on the west side of SLC. We're planning on doing this again this year-it's pretty common in this area. Though I'm not affiliated with the LDS church, they are often a huge supporter of poor families around Christmas time in this area.

Many poor families go without, but fortunately there are charities that help them have some form of a Christmas.

cairo

Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:55 am

"Christmas Spirit" in America is defined as decorating your house and yard, perhaps even your car, with as much crap as possible; and of course buying your family/friends expensive gifts that they don't need.

It's all bs --- all that money for decorations, a tree, worthless gifts, etc... should be spent on the poor if it is the spirit of Christ they are honoring.

Cairo

lentigomaligna

Wed Dec 21, 2005 12:16 pm

Quoting Cairo (Reply 4):
"Christmas Spirit" in America is defined as decorating your house and yard, perhaps even your car, with as much crap as possible; and of course buying your family/friends expensive gifts that they don't need.

It's all bs --- all that money for decorations, a tree, worthless gifts, etc... should be spent on the poor if it is the spirit of Christ they are honoring.

Cairo, official killjoy.

Molykote

Wed Dec 21, 2005 1:07 pm

Quoting HAWK21M (Thread starter):
I remember in my tough times as a kid.We used to build a crib & a small false tree. use candles & sing christmas carols together.A few sweets were made at home.Those were peaceful & happy times,although I always wished I could get big presents like my friends did.Today when I can,I don't feel like it anymore. Weird.

But thinking of those days still bring back good memories of Christmas.

I have similar memories from not too long ago myself. I actually feel bad for those who never got the experience.
Speedtape - The aspirin of aviation!

HAWK21M
Topic Author

Wed Dec 21, 2005 3:23 pm

Out here The Majority people still link Christmas to Santa Claus rather than the Birth of Christ.
I guess Religon plays a part in that too.
regds
MEL

kiwiinoz

Wed Dec 21, 2005 3:31 pm

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 7):
Out here The Majority people still link Christmas to Santa Claus rather than the Birth of Christ.

that's the same with a lot of places, but you don't have to be religous to enjoy the spirit of Christmas. I am an atheist and Chistmas to me means sharing time with family and sparing some time for people less fortunate.

There are some pretty good homeless Xmas lunches arranged here in Australia. I usually go down and help out but occasionally there are so many volunteers that I get turned away for coming too late!! The setup includes a pretty good Christmas lunch, (Turkey, Ham, Seafood etc), and if anyone is up for it, a game of cricket in the afternoon.

HAWK21M
Topic Author

Wed Dec 21, 2005 3:40 pm

Quoting KiwiinOz (Reply 8):
I usually go down and help out but occasionally there are so many volunteers that I get turned away for coming too late

Thats good news.May be a daily affair of such volunteers would do great.
regds
MEL