UAL747
Topic Author

Spending Xmas Alone? Family Wants Gay Free Xmas

Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:28 am

My family has decided to have a Gay Free holiday this year after recently coming out to them (sort of). I just returned from my Christmas vacation that started yesterday. My family teamed up and told me exactly what they think of me and my so-called "lifestyle." Well, my mom and sister didn't, but the rest of the family did.

They told me I was going down a "dead-end" road and that everyone they knew that was gay has died of AIDS. That I was sure to get it, and what I was doing just wasn't "natural." She said that I had lied to her about my being gay. Which admittedly, I did. Then she claimed to know all about being gay because they just finished up a series of sermons at her church about how people can overcome being gay by the grace of God. And that to live in the lifestyle was sinful.

It was hard not to raise my voice when I was talking to them. And I did raise my voice.

My grandmother expressed that she was "shocked" by my life choice. She said she was ashamed because "You have so much talent and things going for you, then you decide to be like this. To ME, you aren't Philip anymore."

So I packed up my bags and returned home.

This will be my first Christmas alone, and feeling a little depressed.

Anyone else gone through this family/gay Christmas thing?

UAL
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

Superfly

RE: Spending Xmas Alone? Family Wants Gay Free Xmas

Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:31 am

UAL747:
Sorry to hear about this dilema with your family.
No need to worry. I am sure there are plenty of gay members here that would love to take you in for Christmas and bend over
backwards for you this Christmas.
Bring back the Concorde

stlgph

Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:36 am

Quoting UAL747 (Thread starter):

They told me I was going down a "dead-end" road and that everyone they knew that was gay has died of AIDS.

Just write up your own obituary and send it to them. Inflate your contributions to society and belittle the others.

While you're at it, send the text from the Bible that talks about how eating pork is a sin. Send it along with a nice ham.

She said that I had lied to her about my being gay.

Who is she? I'm presuming this is grandmother.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

UAL747
Topic Author

Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:37 am

Quoting STLGph (Reply 2):
While you're at it, send the text from the Bible that talks about how eating pork is a sin. Send it along with a nice ham.

Yeah, they are having ham.

Quoting STLGph (Reply 2):
Who is she? I'm presuming this is grandmother.

Yes.

UAL
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

SWA TPA

Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:38 am

UAL747-

I am so sorry to hear about the way your family treated you! That was truly a horrible thing to do to a person! I cant imagine what you must have been feeling at that moment.
Well, you know that the majority of us are here for you if you need to cyber talk. Take care Phil and hopefully the rest of your family will come around and realize you are the same person they have always known. How long has it been since grandma found out?

SWA TPA
I believe I can fly.....

stlgph

Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:41 am

Quoting UAL747 (Reply 3):
Yeah, they are having ham.

BINGO!

Old Testament Book of Leviticus

Superfly

Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:42 am

UAL747:
Sorry if I came off taking this lightly but I do know that this sort of stuff happens.
They're going to realize what a big mistake they are making and I sure Christmas without you there would be a bit incomplete.
Eventually they'll come around and you can spend the holidays with them and your lover can be there with you.
Bring back the Concorde

DLKAPA

Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:44 am

And they'll probably just say "oh some parts of the bible are old and outdated." Seriously though once you send them that passage from the bible you will have effectively nailed them to a wall.
And all at once the crowd begins to sing: Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same

jamesbuk

RE: Spending Xmas Alone? Family Wants Gay Free Xma

Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:46 am

if your family says that about you then your alot better than them.. donts it around on here all day get out their get a Boyfriend and make a real success of yourself and show that sexuality really has nothing to do with what path you'll take in your life

sorry to hear bout it but youve just gotta rise above them

p.s good luck with the future

rgds james
You cant have your cake and eat it... What the hells the point in having it then!!!

stlgph

Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:48 am

Quoting DLKAPA (Reply 7):
And they'll probably just say "oh some parts of the bible are old and outdated." Seriously though once you send them that passage from the bible you will have effectively nailed them to a wall.

If they wanna talk new testament only...

1 Corinthians 6:9-10,

Luke 16:18

Very convenient if any of them have friends (or they themselves) that have been divorced or remarried.

maury

Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:49 am

Wow. There's yer love and charity on full display eh? Tolerance too. Nice folks.

My (dyke) roommate and I stopped trying to recreate Norman Rockwell paintings a while back, and now have dinner at whatever nice restaurant is open on the 25th with whatever friends are in like situations. It's usually a lot nicer to be around people who choose to be with you, than not. C'mon down to San Jose!

UAL747
Topic Author

Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:51 am

You know, I guess I just don't get it. I mean, who cares if I'm gay or not? I mean, what, does that make me a Klingon? It's so weird what things happen when you mention yourself and gay in the same sentence. Crazy.

Oh, yeah, I forgot, they still can't say the word "gay" without whispering. They did that several times today. "Why didn't you tell us you were ))))gay((((*

*denoting whispering...

UAL

DLKAPA

Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:51 am

This is really one of those times where you can't be a salad buffet christian.
And all at once the crowd begins to sing: Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same

ANCFlyer

Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:52 am

C'Mon up to Prudhoe Bay . . . I'll be working . . . but you can watch.  wink  I don't give a hoot in hell if you're Gay or not! I'll still break bread with ya, and we can talk shit about narrow minded people. Might not be family, but I'm pretty danged friendly!

Chin up - this too shall pass . . . .
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

theCoz

Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:54 am

Well, I'm sure Jesus would approve of your familiy's actions.  

Then she claimed to know all about being gay because they just finished up a series of sermons at her church about how people can overcome being gay by the grace of God.

LMAO, yes, an hour long sermon by a heterosexual will tell you EVERYTHING you need to know about the evil gay people.

And that to live in the lifestyle was sinful.

So is theirs; a sin is a sin. Everyone is a sinner.

It was hard not to raise my voice when I was talking to them. And I did raise my voice.

Hang in there UAL, there are many people who understand you better than your family does. Realize that your family's shortcomings have caused this to happen; not your gay lifestyle.

[Edited 2005-12-20 23:10:41]

ScarletHarlot

Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:54 am

What a bunch of crap. UAL747, I am so sorry you have to deal with this. How awful. How can they reject you for being you? I mean, you've always been this person. It's not like all of a sudden you changed.

Damn. Well, try to have a reasonable holiday.
But that was when I ruled the world

dl021

Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:57 am

Well, since you are feeling the effects of being exiled does this mean that you are cutting yourself off from them in all respects, including economic ties? If you are serious about everything you are writing but letting them pay for anything then you are kidding yourself. You can't moan about their standards for you if you are taking their assistance on anything. Otherwise it's just moaning.

As for Christmas......I'm certain that there are plenty of Anetters out there who would welcome you over for Christmas dinner. If you are in ATL you are welcome for Christmas dinner at our place.
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

SWA TPA

Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:00 am

Going along with ANCflyer, you are more than welcome at my home in Tampa. It will just be me, hubby, munchkin and my parents, who by the way, would welcome you with open arms!
I dont know about ANCflyer but I can whip up some mean martinis too! Hee hee hee......

SWA TPA
I believe I can fly.....

vc10

Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:01 am

UAL747,
Some years ago just after my divorce I was for the first time in 20 years left on my own [no children, no wife ] for Christmas. Being on my own was bad enough but everybody else seemed to be getting ready for the fun except me, which seemed to make it worst.

Then I told myself it was just another day off work and I relaxed , read books, played music and watched films on TV but kept away from all those Christmas programs, and do you know it was quite a good day.

Although I am not gay and probably like your parents do not quite understand it, I am sure that given time and space and without the fact being pushed in front of them all the time, they will come round, so perhaps you just have to wait a bit.

Anyway all the best for Sunday the 25th and happy reading and listening and remember it is only another day

little vc10

Superfly

Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:02 am

Quoting TPA" class=quote target=_blank>SWA TPA (Reply 17):
you are more than welcome at my home in Tampa.

Now what would I need to do get a special invite SWA TPA?  Smile
Bring back the Concorde

SWA TPA

Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:05 am

Mr.Fly, you dont need an invite! Just drop on by anytime!

SWA TPA
I believe I can fly.....

RobertNL070

Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:07 am

and that everyone they knew that was gay has died of AIDS

Very doubtful.

Understandable.

"You have so much talent and things going for you, then you decide to be like this. To ME, you aren't Philip anymore."

Hmm. Does being gay preclude being talented and having things going for you?

Try not to be too depressed and do try to make something of your Christmas. Hopefully your family might have moderated their views come this time next year.

Take care.

Regards, Robert  bouncy 
Youth is a gift of nature. Age is a work of art.

maury

Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:10 am

Scratch the San Jose offer, I'm heading to Tampa for martinis with SWA TPA.

And speaking of whispering: when my father remarried after my mother's death, I went to NC for the wedding. And brought/met up with a (male) date. My "new mommy" made a large point of sitting me down and telling me how tolerant she was and accepting and understanding -- never once saying the word "gay." OK...whatever.

After the ceremony, my "new sister" invited me and my date over to the house she shared with her (female) roommmate. Of about 20 years (insert foreshadowing music.) We all sit down in the living room. She makes us all move to the center of the room. (I am NOT making this up.) She *closes all the blinds in the room.* And then, furtively, whispers: "I just wanted you to know. We're...gay."

Well, no kidding. Poor Mike looks at me, all confused--he'd thought we were gonna break out the uh ceremonial peace pipe or something, and all it was, was this? So I asked her, "why all the secrecy? Your Mom just spent 15 minutes telling me she was the North Carolina branch of PFLAG..." "Oh my GOD no! Mother doesn't know...it would RUIN our reputation if people KNEW!"

So there you go. Families: given to you, not chosen!

jaysit

Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:10 am

I hate to say this, but your family sounds horrid.

Your grandma may be too old and too religious to understand or be supportive, but the rest of your family have no excuse to treat you as they did.

Also, if your mother and sister have no issue with it, then why didn't they stand up for you?

Call up a friend and go spend Christmas with him/her instead, and tell your relatives to drop dead.

They told me I was going down a "dead-end" road and that everyone they knew that was gay has died of AIDS

Btw, just how many gay people do these homophobes know?
Atheism is Myth Understood.

Logan22L

Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:12 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 19):
Now what would I need to do get a special invite SWA TPA?

I'll bet it will involve you "bending over backwards."  Wink

Seriously, UAL747, never underestimate just how insensitive family can be. An old adage is that "you can pick your friends, but you cannot pick your relatives." VC10 is right: Christmas is, in many ways, just another day, and a day that is portrayed by the media as being warm, wonderful and nurturing. Truth is it's more like National Lampoon's "Christmas Vacation" for most people. Not to take away from other's enjoyment of it and its meaning to them, but look at what you have and who you are. Hang in there, and as for those family members who put you down: fuck 'em.
"The deeper you go, the higher you fly. The higher you fly, the deeper you go."

stlgph

Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:13 am

Quoting Jaysit (Reply 23):

Apparently none. They're dead.

Superfly

Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:18 am

Quoting TPA" class=quote target=_blank>SWA TPA (Reply 20):
Mr.Fly, you dont need an invite! Just drop on by anytime!

Oh $h!t! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !  bouncy 

My door is open to you anytime as well.  Wink

UAL747:
Your more than welcome to spend Christmas in San Francisco with Superfly.
I wont be going anywhere because I couldn't get much time off work and the airfares to Chicago are just insaine. I will not even think about sitting in traffic going to LA so I'll spend Christmas here with a few other friends who aren't leaving. A few of them are gay so you may even hook up.

Unlike SWA TPA, you would have to sleep in the living room.  Smile
Bring back the Concorde

jaysit

Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:21 am

Quoting DL021 (Reply 16):
If you are serious about everything you are writing but letting them pay for anything then you are kidding yourself.

Well, as long as they haven't threatened to cut him off financially, I say let him milk them for as long as he can.

Financial blackmail on their part, however, may be forthcoming. It happened to a friend of mine, a scion of a rich southern family. He told them to shove it, and by the time they reneged, he was already a very successful businessman of his own making.
Atheism is Myth Understood.

UAL747
Topic Author

Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:23 am

Quoting STLGph (Reply 25):

LOL, that was my question too! It made me have one of those moments, kind of like when you are having sex and going over your grocery list for tomorrow's shopping in your mind.

They were telling me all this, and I was completely floored wondering who the hell they knew that was gay. LOL.

UAL

Amy

Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:24 am

If I lived in the U.S. I'd invite you to have Christmas at mine!

I can't imagine how it feels. I hope your family come round and realise that they love you and should love you for who you are not what you are.

Good luck for the future xxx

Edit: if you ever want revenge, I have been told by more than one person that i'm good at psychological warfare, so don't hesitate to call!

[Edited 2005-12-20 23:25:12]
A340-300 - slow, but awesome!

stlgph

Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:25 am

Quoting UAL747 (Reply 28):
It made me have one of those moments, kind of like when you are having sex and going over your grocery list for tomorrow's shopping in your mind.

you have that problem, too?!

dtwclipper

Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:28 am

Phil;

I am so sorry to hear about you and your family. I would like to say, give them some time to deal with it, but that doesn't help the hurt you must feel right now.

It's so odd, how some families can toss out their children in such an "unchristian" fashion.

My family, and that of my partner, would never think of having a family event without us. As a matter of fact, we just hosted his family for their annual Christmas party.

So, if you need a place to spend the holiday, we are having a Christmas/Chanuka dinner on Sunday, and you are invited!!!
Compare New York Air, the Airline that works for your Business

Nordair

Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:31 am

I had a homophobe Christmas once and that was enough. I was invited, but apparently unwelcome by several family members who were present. They were openly hostile to the discomfort of everyone else. I've refused all family functions since then. Those in my family who are okay with gay people believe I should just "ignore" the bullshit and negativity coming from the rest of them. They just don't get it and they never will.

BS free holidays are a blessing that I've learned to enjoy, and so can you. But, if you are feeling lonely, spend the time with those who accept you for who you are and they don't have to be family members.
"It is never legitimate to use the words of scripture to promote a loveless agenda." - Right Rev. Dr. Peter Short

UAL747
Topic Author

Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:34 am

Quoting Nordair (Reply 32):
Those in my family who are okay with gay people believe I should just "ignore" the bullshit and negativity coming from the rest of them. They just don't get it and they never will.

I hate it when people tell me to ignore it as well. It's like shoving it all under the rug. Even though it's covered, it's still there.

UAL

jpetekyxmd80

Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:34 am

I'd hate to have the cliche police after me, but I think this thread shows what Christmas is about. You're more than welcome in my home, too. I am glad you walked out, you shouldn't have to put up with that bullshit. Keep your head up, and have a nice holiday.
The Best Care in the Air, 1984-2009

dtwclipper

Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:36 am

Quoting Dtwclipper (Reply 31):
So, if you need a place to spend the holiday, we are having a Christmas/Chanuka dinner on Sunday, and you are invited!!!

Quoting myself here, really bad form, but I kind a just realized that Detroit is porbably not the place most people would want to spend Christmas.... dopey 

Nordair

Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:36 am

Quoting JpetekYXMD80 (Reply 34):
I'd hate to have the cliche police after me, but I think this thread shows what Christmas is about. You're more than welcome in my home, too. I am glad you walked out, you shouldn't have to put up with that bullshit. Keep your head up, and have a nice holiday.

Nothing cliche at all in what you wrote.

Edited because a.net doesn't accept accent aigu.

[Edited 2005-12-20 23:42:26]
"It is never legitimate to use the words of scripture to promote a loveless agenda." - Right Rev. Dr. Peter Short

Superfly

Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:43 am

Quoting Dtwclipper (Reply 35):
I kind a just realized that Detroit is porbably not the place most people would want to spend Christmas...

I would. You guys have a fresh blanket of new snow and a flight to Detroit would most likely be a flight on Northwest.  Cool
Bring back the Concorde

asbg

Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:00 am

UAL747

Now that you went back, did any of your family members call you to see how you were?

Sam.

searpqx

Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:02 am

I'll add my sympathy to the chorus. I can't believe what a family will do to itself in the name of religion. I had something similar happen to me, except my grandmother and father were sweetness and light to my face, then behind my back told everyone how I was an abomination and going to hell. Meant I didn't talk to my father for almost a decade.

My one word of advice is don't burn bridges. Stick to your principals but keep the door open. One of these days they'll realize that having you in their life is more important than their prejudices.
"The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity"

kiwiinoz

Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:11 am

Bizarre that this sort of stuff still happens. I guess a lot of old school homophobes still place homosexuals in a broad category of "deviant". As it has for a lot of people, you can only hope that time will teach them.

What about an Aussie Christmas? It's 35 degrees celsius, everyone goes to the beach and we eat prawns by the bucket for Christmas lunch!!

dtwclipper

Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:13 am

Quoting KiwiinOz (Reply 40):
What about an Aussie Christmas? It's 35 degrees celsius, everyone goes to the beach and we eat prawns by the bucket for Christmas lunch!!

Was that invite just open to UAL747?

kiwiinoz

Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:18 am

Quoting Dtwclipper (Reply 41):
Was that invite just open to UAL747?

Anyone is welcome. I'd better go out and purchase a walk in beer fridge though.

maury

Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:23 am

Buckets of prawns and a walk-in Esky trumps Tampa martinis. Hmm...maybe we shoulda started this thread earlier.

But seriously: see how the offers pour in? Hopefully that'll provide some comfort.

I'd say more but must go pack bag for the upside-down Christmas.

cheers!

saxdiva

Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:29 am

Well, damn... much as you might feel you *should* be able to just say screw them, I would imagine this smarts. Sorry that your family can't seem to get their act together--it takes a lot of maturity on the part of a parent to realize that maybe they don't need to call all the shots all of the time, and maybe you'll turn out okay in spite of your "lifestyle choices." I guess some of them hold on to that fantasy Christmas card picture more tighly than others.

But if you're looking for a place to hang out and the range of other invitations you've received all fall short, come on out to LA. Hell, we'll even get the piano tuned for ya.

-Leanne

ltbewr

Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:29 am

Your Gay. So what. It's not like your some ax murderer or a terrorist or a child molester. It is good that you are not trying to stay in the closet anymore, that being gay is no longer embarassing and something to hide. That is you. That should liberate you. Problem with the family is that they believe they screwed up and failed in raising you and are embarassed for themselves and with their peers. I am quite sure you have family members whom have issues far worse than being gay, such as drinking, drug use, violence and of course being such hyprocrite 'Christian' and nasty homophobes.
I am quite sure there are other GLT's in the area where you live that also can't 'go home again' and you could spend Christmas with. Maybe in a few years some of your family will be less judgemental and you can go home again, maybe with a partner.

dtwclipper

Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:30 am

Quoting Maury (Reply 43):
But seriously: see how the offers pour in? Hopefully that'll provide some comfort.

thumbsup   thumbsup   thumbsup   thumbsup 

pilot kaz

Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:32 am

Phil,

That's so sad to hear  Sad, I'm sorry but your family sounds like a bunch of jerks they should accept you for who you are.... Hell If I was living close enough you would be more than welcome for xmas!!

Hope things turn out better

kazzie x
-

kiwiinoz

Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:41 am

And another thing, a gay free Christmas??

When I think back to my own family Christmas celebrations, I can't imagine Christmas without the "gay" touch that a few of my relatives would bring to the occasion. What a drab occasion it would be without the following:

Meticulously designed centrepieces
Drunk on Champagne and OJ at 10 in the morning
The same old sexual innuendo whilst stuffing the turkey, (oo-er!!)
The same old sexual innuendo whilst handling the turkey neck, (oo-er!)
Flirting with the completely oblivious old Uncle John
Conga lines to Christmas carols

A good Christmas is a queer Christmas.....spread the word!!!

dtwclipper

Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:41 am

So, Phil,

You've gotten invitations from all over the world, were are you going to spend the day?

Jeremy