greasespot

I Put My Cat To Sleep

Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:04 am

When i got home from work My male cat was acting wierd. Wierd enough i took him to the vet...1 hour later I left and he was dead. I had to put him to sleep...I have never had to do that to an annimal of mine. Now, needless to say i was stunned....Now i am in the all weepy/ crying stage....I see his empty carrier....Even his sister is acting wierd...I miss him and just think he is under the bed....his fav. sleeping spot...

Today went from a really good day to a shitty one in 1.5 hours...

Meryy Fucking Christmas huh!!!

Christine
Sometimes all you can do is look them in the eye and ask " how much did your mom drink when she was pregnant with you?"

Matt D

RE: I Put My Cat To Sleep

Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:05 am

Sorry to hear about your loss. What exactly happened? Why was it so immediately determined to put the cat down?

Nordair

Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:08 am

I'm very sorry Christine.
"It is never legitimate to use the words of scripture to promote a loveless agenda." - Right Rev. Dr. Peter Short

pilot kaz

Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:08 am

Sorry to hear  Sad

I had to do the same to lobo 3 years back, He had been hit by a car and had a severely broken leg, took him to the vet and they wanted £5k to treat him.. I had to let him go and he was only 1 year  Sad
-

AeroWesty

Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:10 am

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss, and it must have been a difficult decision to make. That's the second pet I've heard from someone this week that had to be put to sleep, and somehow it just isn't fair at Christmas.  Sad
International Homo of Mystery

jake056

Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:11 am

Very sorry to hear that. If you are a pet person you know how attached we get to them. They are not "just like family", they are family. Condolences.

ANCFlyer

Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:12 am

It's always difficult to do. What was the reason?

Better to have done this, if necessary, than allow a pet to live in pain or suffering.

Chin Up Christine . . . . the days will get better.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

noelg

Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:13 am

Sorry to hear about your loss Christine.

We had the same with our doggy Flash a long while ago. It was 12 years ago but I remember it like yesterday. I came home real happy and was singing on my way home. I walked through the front door and mum and dad told me Flash was dead. Never felt so low until that moment.

The loss of an animal is always sad. You have my thoughts as well as I'm sure lots of a.netters.

Noel

greasespot

Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:17 am

Feline Urinary Syndrom.....Crystals in his urineas they said he was a repeat offender....this was his 3rd bout in the last month,...10th bout over all...We have tried diets.food .and evrything..He was genitically disposed to it especially since he was so young (3YO) This is a mature cat disease....They felt this time his bladder was actually dammaged by the crystals...He wwas peeing blood and his penis area hurt a lot...The vet said it was like peeing blood for him...

It is going to be pretty lonly tonight...
GS
Sometimes all you can do is look them in the eye and ask " how much did your mom drink when she was pregnant with you?"

jacobin777

Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:18 am

Quoting Pilot kaz (Reply 3):
I had to do the same to lobo 3 years back, He had been hit by a car and had a severely broken leg, took him to the vet and they wanted �5k to treat him.. I had to let him go and he was only 1 year Sad

our cat is worth more than 5k quid to us...she's part of our famiy... Smile

Quoting Greasespot (Thread starter):
When i got home from work My male cat was acting wierd. Wierd enough i took him to the vet...1 hour later I left and he was dead. I had to put him to sleep...I have never had to do that to an annimal of mine. Now, needless to say i was stunned....Now i am in the all weepy/ crying stage....I see his empty carrier....Even his sister is acting wierd...I miss him and just think he is under the bed....his fav. sleeping spot...

we own a cat..and she's part of our family...I'm sorry to hear what happened.. Sad
"Up the Irons!"

pilot kaz

Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:20 am

Quoting Jacobin777 (Reply 9):

our cat is worth more than 5k quid to us...she's part of our famiy...

So was Lobo, But we just dont have that sort of money... at the time my mum was only bringing home less than 1K a month before tax, National insurance and so on, and here is no money saves, just cant afford it.

If I had the money then he would still be here today.
-

Arrow

Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:21 am

I know how you feel. I had to put my cat down a month ago. He was 20 years old and starting to feel the arthritis really badly. I still miss him, but it wasn't fun seeing him in pain.
Never let the facts get in the way of a good story.

EA CO AS

Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:25 am

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. I know I'd be devastated if I ever lost my cat Chloe - especially at Christmas.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

dragon-wings

Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:53 am

Sorry to hear that  Sad

I had to put 2 cats to sleep in my lifetime. One because of FIP disease and the other because of skin cancer. I hope the kitty I have now lives a long and healthy life. It is never a easy thing to do.
Don't give up don't ever give up - Jim Valvano

DrDeke

Thu Dec 22, 2005 10:15 am

I am very sorry about your cat's passing and for your loss. It seems like I sometimes end up being sort of cold or emotionally calculating at times, but for whatever reason, your situation really strikes home for me.

I really like cats, although I do not live with any now given the size and nature of my current apartment. (And the fact that my roommate doesn't like cats. I wouldn't want to keep a cat with a roommate who disliked him or her.)

I had to have my cat euthanized when I was in high school. She had developed a really, really bad stomach tumor very rapidly, and the vet said that there was absolutely nothing that could be done to help her and that it would be impossible to treat or surgically remove the tumor. She was obviously suffering and was unable to eat not only her regular food, but she even refused to eat canned cat treats and straight-up tuna, foods over which she had for as long as I had known her gone ABSOLUTELY CRAZY; so as awful as it seemed, ending her pain and suffering, even via death, was really the only kind thing that could be done for her.

I certainly missed her and actually I still do; she was an awesome cat. She was understanding to the extreme, and put up with a lot of my shit - I treated her very well, but I was a little kid at the time, and little kids tend to do things that make cats uncomfortable.

I don't mean this to sound callous at all, but I was surprised at how quickly the worst of my sorrow over what I felt was her untimely death faded. I had lost my mother to cancer only 8 years before, and although I was very sad, the loss of Socks* I guess kind of paled in comparison.

*Socks was the name of my cat. I named her that before Bill Clinton came into office and before I (or anyone, I guess) knew that he had a cat by the same name. My idea to name her Socks came from some children's book that I had recently read at the time in which there was a cat who had been named Socks because she was all black except for having white feet that kind of looked like socks. Well, that is EXACTLY what my Socks looked like. All black except with white feet and a white-haired underbelly of which she was very protective. (Although if she knew you VERY well and trusted you, she loved it if you rubbed her belly.) While I may be more sympathetic to Clinton than some people, I had my share of problems with him and his administration, and I really want it to be known that my cat had absolutely nothing to do with politics one way or the other! The only politics she cared about were the politics of fighting through the glass window with the neighbors' cat in a perpetual cold war over turf, as Socks was an indoor cat and Princess (the neighbors' cat) was an outdoor one who would come over and mix it up with Socks, neither cat realizing that the glass window made their efforts futile (and probably painful, as they banged their heads into it repeatedly while "fighting")!

With warmest regards and my deepest sympathies,
Rusty (DrDeke)
If you don't want it known, don't say it on a phone.

DrDeke

Thu Dec 22, 2005 10:18 am

our cat is worth more than 5k quid to us...she's part of our famiy...

I agree completely, but when one absolutely does not have and cannot get 5,000 quid, dollars, whatever; it is god damned rough. Even in Europe, I suspect you cannot take your pet to the public hospital and have him or her treated "without regard to your ability to pay," like you as a human can, even in capitalist America.

-DrDeke
If you don't want it known, don't say it on a phone.

PSA53

Thu Dec 22, 2005 10:19 am

Sorry to hear about your loss.

I lost mine suddenly Oct 31. We feel
she drank/ate something outside
that was toxic.
Tuesday's Off! Do not disturb.

zippyjet

Thu Dec 22, 2005 10:51 am

Quoting Greasespot (Thread starter):
Today went from a really good day to a shitty one in 1.5 hours...

Meryy Fucking Christmas huh!!!

Christine

I feel for you! Had to make that awful decision several years ago. My cat was over 17 years old and she was finally really down and out. We both knew this was indeed the end. I felt like shit and called off work. Had I gone into work that awful night, even if someone looked at me in a funky way, I would have gone postal. Now for me, a new kitty found me and he came into and is still in my life. This happened 6 days after Jenny Bean had to be put out of her misery. I do indeed hope, that when we die, we get to be reunited with deceased loved ones both 2 legged and yes four legged! God Bless an I'd actually Google How to deal with the loss of a loved one, your cat And BTW, these damn holidays are too long and way overated. Lets skip XMAS and NEw Years just one year.
I'm Zippyjet & I approve of this message!

dl021

Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:04 am

Christine...I feel very deeply for you. I just had to put my Roxy to sleep last Monday and it really sucks. I walked in last night and thought I saw her come around the corner....

Nothing I can say to you will make you feel much better, so I'll not say more than this....I firmly believe that our friends have souls and that they are now playing or sleeping in a warm spot waiting for us to come home.

I'm sorry about this, and I hope you keep your other cat some extra company over the next few days. She'll do the same for you.

Ian
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

dan-air

Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:11 am

Christine: if it's any consolation, you can remember him, knowing he enjoyed a good life.

I had to say goodbye to Charlie in March after his year-long bout with cancer - but he will always be remembered with great affection, as I'm sure yours will.

-Mark

jap

Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:13 am

I'm so sorry... And just before christmas too... may he rest in peace- heaps of warm hugs from me!  Sad

our cat is worth more than 5k quid to us...she's part of our famiy... Smile

Honestly! How dare you?! Of course the cat was worth more than 5k to Karis, but if you have no way of getting the money in a reasonable amount of time, it's better to relieve the little one of his/her pain and put him/her to sleep... not everyone has that kind of money or is able to get it fast... it takes an immense amount of compassion and love to be able to say goodbye to your fur-baby like that.
Scandinavian chick with a scandinavian horse- oh yeah! :D

Logan22L

Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:16 am

Quoting Greasespot (Reply 8):
Feline Urinary Syndrom

Christine: I had a wonderful dog who had the same sort of issue. After surgery to remove the calcium oxalate, they put him on a special diet which he hated. He then developed pancreatic cancer, and went into major episodes of fainting. I tried like hell to save him; taking him into the vet for surgical/in-house procedures for nearly four months. He just began to suffer, and I had to load him into the car he loved so much one cold February morning in 2002 after I'd stayed up with him all night cleaning up after him and trying to give him water from a syringe.

Sometimes, it's just time. It's really a shame that your cat was so young, but one never knows when it's time. That some of us have been through this doesn't lessen your pain, but know that you are not alone, my friend. It will pass.

The vet who put my dog down sent me a letter about three days after doing it, and told me that she saw into Watney's eyes, and knew he was a dog who had the gift of understanding. She may have been blowing smoke, but she was right. I cried my ass off for about two days, and then began to see life again. Peace.

John
"The deeper you go, the higher you fly. The higher you fly, the deeper you go."

ANITIX87

Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:19 am

Went away to college in September and my car was drinking water like it was...well...water. He never stopped. Turns out he had Diabetes, and we had to put him to sleep 3 weeks ago. His brother is so sad. He doesn't eat, sleep, or move around. It's so hard coming home from school and only seeing one cat roaming the house. But, like everything else in life, it gets easier to handle by the day.

I'm with you, Christine. We'll both get through this.

TIS
www.stellaryear.com: Canon EOS 50D, Canon EOS 5DMkII, Sigma 50mm 1.4, Canon 24-70 2.8L II, Canon 100mm 2.8L, Canon 100-4

ShyFlyer

Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:54 am

Anyone who has ever had a pet knows exactly what you are going through, Greasespot. There really isn't a "good" time to say goodbye to a four legged friend. I'm truly sorry for your loss. crying 

I posted a copy of the poem The Rainbow Bridge in this thread (Reply 16)a while back: http://www.airliners.net/discussions/non_aviation/read.main/1032037 . If you (or anyone else) would like a PDF version, feel free to email me through my profile.

Your little guy is in a much better place. Take care of yourself and his sister too!
I lift things up and put them down.

canuckpaxguy

Thu Dec 22, 2005 12:08 pm

I hear ya Greasespot! My family's going through the same thing.

After 17 years of bringing joy to my Mom, her "baby-kitten" Fritzie was put down by the vet on Sunday. I was just starting high school when we brought her home, and as my sister and I grew up and moved out on our own, my Mom was always comforted by her little "Fritzie-boo-boo".

We've been missing her like crazy.

Rest in peace, Fritzieboo.
You'll be missed dearly.

G

NIKV69

Thu Dec 22, 2005 6:11 pm

Very sorry to hear about your loss. I am not looking forward to the day I have to do the same to my cat. I hope you get a chance to bury him on your property if you own a house. I will do that with mine. I think it makes the loss a little easier if you know he is resting in peace close by.
Hey that guy with the private jet can bail us out! Why? HE CAN AFFORD IT!

kiwiandrew

Thu Dec 22, 2005 6:17 pm

So sorry to hear about this - I know where you are coming from - I had to put down one of my cats because of this about 20 years ago - it was horrible - but it was the right thing to do - and you have done the right thing too ... there could be a small silver lining out of this ... in a few weeks time all the animal shelters will be overflowing with unloved / unwanted xmas presents - perhaps adopting another will help patch the hole you are feeling right now and eventually to fill it .

Quoting Greasespot (Reply 8):
Feline Urinary Syndrom.....Crystals in his urineas they said he was a repeat offender....this was his 3rd bout in the last month,...10th bout over all...We have tried diets.food .and evrything..He was genitically disposed to it especially since he was so young (3YO) This is a mature cat disease....They felt this time his bladder was actually dammaged by the crystals...He wwas peeing blood and his penis area hurt a lot...The vet said it was like peeing blood for him...

malb777

Thu Dec 22, 2005 6:31 pm

Sorry christine
That has to the worst thing about owning a pet , one day they are all happy and normal next thing we are walking from the vet crying as if we have lost a family member, we then realise that we have .
Keep your chin up and have as good a christmas as you can

malb777
thank god i was not born a bird. this type of flying is much better

Trolley Dolley

Thu Dec 22, 2005 6:33 pm

Christine. I'm sorry to hear of your loss. From the conditions you described, it seems to have been the most humane thing to do. Your friend is at peace now.

I've had to put a few pets down now, it doesn't get any easier. It's perfectly natural to feel sad. The pain will pass, but you always miss them in one way or the other.

texan

Thu Dec 22, 2005 8:20 pm

Christine,

My stepmom's cat, Fred, has the same urinary tract problem. They've almost lost him twice due to that and once more due to another problem. You did the right thing by putting your cat down. It is tremendously painful for them and difficult to fix. Best wishes to you. Hang in there.

Sincerely

Patrick
"I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library."

jacobin777

Fri Dec 23, 2005 1:55 am

Quoting DrDeke (Reply 15):
I agree completely, but when one absolutely does not have and cannot get 5,000 quid, dollars, whatever; it is god damned rough. Even in Europe, I suspect you cannot take your pet to the public hospital and have him or her treated "without regard to your ability to pay," like you as a human can, even in capitalist America.

Quoting Pilot kaz (Reply 10):
So was Lobo, But we just dont have that sort of money... at the time my mum was only bringing home less than 1K a month before tax, National insurance and so on, and here is no money saves, just cant afford it.

If I had the money then he would still be here today.

obviously if one doesn't have the money, there isn't too much one can do...its a tough decision....and as I said, I feel bad for you..... Sad

Quoting Jap (Reply 20):
Honestly! How dare you?! Of course the cat was worth more than 5k to Karis, but if you have no way of getting the money in a reasonable amount of time, it's better to relieve the little one of his/her pain and put him/her to sleep... not everyone has that kind of money or is able to get it fast... it takes an immense amount of compassion and love to be able to say goodbye to your fur-baby like that.

what's gotten into you  confused 
"Up the Irons!"

RobertNL070

Fri Dec 23, 2005 1:58 am

Sincerest condolences  Sad

Regards, Robert
Youth is a gift of nature. Age is a work of art.

Boeing4ever

Fri Dec 23, 2005 2:08 pm

As a cat owner you have my condolences. I'm really sorry to hear this. I read this thread yesterday with my cat sitting on my lap as he always does when I'm on the computer. He's sitting there now and I can't imagine what it'd be like to lose him. Pets truly do become a member of the family.

airplane B4e-Forever New Frontiers airplane 

jap

Fri Dec 23, 2005 2:11 pm

Quoting Jacobin777 (Reply 30):
what's gotten into you  confused 

I just know how much it hurts to be told that you don't love your animal "more than xxxx pounds". That wasn't your exact words, and if I got it the wrong way, I appologize.
Scandinavian chick with a scandinavian horse- oh yeah! :D

A332

Fri Dec 23, 2005 4:34 pm

Sorry to hear about the loss of your beloved pet...

4 days after Christmas in 2003, I had to put down my little Chloe... she was such an adorable cat that was unfortunately blessed with a heart condition.. it was very tragic and so hard to deal with...

Time will heal... always remember the good times and cherish the good memories...

Take care!
Bad spellers of the world... UNTIE!

vaporlock

Fri Dec 23, 2005 5:28 pm

Christine, I am so sorry for your loss. It is amazing how these little souls become such a big part of our lives. I know you'll miss your kitty but just think of the great life you gave him!

Phyllis  bouncy 

ABfemme

Fri Dec 23, 2005 6:44 pm

Christine, I lost a very dear and very much loved moggie called Bobby, and a friend of mine gave me a little verse that I still keep in my purse. I'd like to send it to you:

I Understand

Some people just don't understand
Why you feel this way,
But a very special friend
Has simply gone away.
It might as well of been a person
To you it was and yet,
Some people think it stupid
Mourning for a pet,
I know how much it meant to you
That's why I had to send
This card to you in memory
Of your little friend.

I hope it doesn't upset you too much, but it says it all, I had a weep when I read it but now look upon it as a reminder of our wonderful life together.

Kind regards

Claire x
Women do not have hot flushes, they have power surges

QFA380

Fri Dec 23, 2005 7:37 pm

My dog died last week, the good thing is that we didn't have to make the deciscion to put her down, she just died in mums arms. Its amazing how much you can miss them. The house now has a great big spot where her bed went (which she is still laying in her grave).

Sorry to hear this and hope you can just remember him an the great cat he must have been. It really puts things into perspective for me.

QFA380

greasespot

Fri Dec 23, 2005 7:37 pm

When I got Ray 2 years ago he right away has a bout of FUS. I fixed it and hoped that would be it. He had another 6 mos. later. At one point he had 3 flair ups in 1 month. While it was a financial burden I thought after each one that this would finally fix him. But inside i knew this day would come. I just hoped it would be much into the future.

When I came home and say him trying to pee and then crying after something inside said it was time...I owed it to be there for him while this happened.

NOw that your gone I do miss you Ray. Part of me is guilty that I did not do more. At the same time I could not do more. Having him for 2 of his 3 years was not enough.

This moring I so wanted him to wake me at 5 am like he does cause he is humgry. I miss streaching out at night and not feeling him on the bed. I miss him crawling up beside me and...I just miss him so much.

I gave him two years and he gave me a me much more you helped me get through a lot.
Be well Little boy.
I am sorry Ray.
I miss you.

Thanks everyone

Christine

ABfemme

Fri Dec 23, 2005 8:01 pm

I feel terrible for you, be assured that you could have done no more. Remember that you gave him a wonderful life. He was truely loved and he knew that. That is the most important thing of all.
Claire

jetstar

Sat Dec 24, 2005 12:56 am

Christine, losing a loved pet at such an early age can be devastating, but at least he had a good life, although short and you did the best you could have done to save him.

About 20 years ago we adopted 2 kittens from a litter of three that was born where my wife kept her horse. The mother cat was abandoned by the neighbors when they moved away and the barn provided food and shelter until they could find a new home for her. My wife saw the kittens when they were about 6 hours old and decided to adopt a male and female.

When the male was 13 years old he was diagnosed with cancer of the intestinal lining. We took him to the Animal Medical Center in New York City where he was put on chemotherapy. The AMC is one of the leading veterinary centers in the country and is far beyond what the normal vets can do for treatment of animals. This drove his cancer into remission and he regained all his weight and quality of life.

One time when we was there for his chemo treatment, there was a crew from the MSNBC show Special Edition who was taping a segment about the AMC for their show. They asked if I would like to be interviewed and followed during my cat’s treatment, which I agreed to. This segment, along with that of three other animals and their owners was shown on national television a month later.

At the age of 16, he came down with a bacterial infection in his lungs. Because of the chemo treatments, his immune system was suppressed enough that his body could not fight off the infection, antibiotics only slowed the infection down and he passed away naturally. The doctor said he was not in pain or suffering in any way and did not recommend he be put to sleep. Because of the dedicated staff at the AMC, they let us borrow him for another 3 years.

His sister was diagnosed with lung cancer 2 years after he died when she was 18 years old. We took her to the same doctor at the AMC who treated her brother and she said the cancer had spread and there was no treatment for this type of lung cancer, surgery was the only recourse and at her age she felt she would not survive it. She recommended that she be put to sleep and that is what we did.

Putting her to sleep was the toughest thing we ever did. While some people could not understand why we went to such extremes with our pets, they were part of our lives and to us they were not pets, but family members. While we took their loss very hard, we also realized that they lived out their normal lives.

A cat’s life in the wild is about 5 years, but with proper diet and medical treatment and keeping them indoors we extend their lives well past what mother nature designed. It is not uncommon for a cat to live to 20 and beyond. I knew one cat that was 25 years old and heard of others that lived into their early 30’s.

From what I have seen 13 to 16 years is about the average life expectancy for an indoor cat. The most common problem with elderly cats is kidney disease and cancers. Previous to these 2 cats, I also had a female who developed kidney disease at 13 years old and had to be put to sleep when her kidneys totally failed.

After we lost our little girl, we adopted 2 female kittens from a local shelter, although they are not littermates, we got them at 10 weeks old they bonded together immediately and act like sisters and they are now 3 years old. While it is never possible to replace a loved pet, time heals all wounds. We did not get them immediately, we waited a little while and then went to several shelters until we found the right ones.

I recommend that when you are emotionally ready, go to an animal shelter and give a homeless cat a good home. My first cat was an only cat and after that we decided that we would have at least 2. Both our pairs have given us many hours of enjoyment watching them play and interact with each other. There are way to many cats and dogs in shelters needing homes and I would recommend that you even look at adult cats, sometimes you can find littermates that were turned in to the shelters if you decide to adopt 2.

Good Luck

Dougloid

Sat Dec 24, 2005 1:13 am

I had to get the famous Zero put down thirteen years ago after a stroke that left her paralyzed...it was a bad scene and I still think about her and sometimes see her out of the corner of my eye for a second.
Don't let anyone kid you, animals are the best friends we can have as their love is unconditional.
Course I went right to the shelter and got adopted by the famous Mugs who is quite a character in her own right.
If you believe in coincidence, you haven't looked close enough-Joe Leaphorn

Bobster2

Sat Dec 24, 2005 2:56 am

My cat had several episodes where he was moaning in pain in the litter box because he couldn't urinate. Final solution was surgery that cost over $500. He was about 8 years old at the time of the surgery and lived a good life until the age of 19.
"I tell you this, no eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn." Jim Morrison

ScarletHarlot

Sat Dec 24, 2005 3:18 am

Oh no, I am so sorry to hear your sad news. Hang in there.  Sad
But that was when I ruled the world

greasespot

Sat Dec 24, 2005 3:29 am

Quoting Bobster2 (Reply 42):
My cat had several episodes where he was moaning in pain in the litter box because he couldn't urinate. Final solution was surgery that cost over $500. He was about 8 years old at the time of the surgery and lived a good life until the age of 19.

And you posted that in here why?

If I did not feel bad enough this really made me feel worse...

Christine

ABfemme

Sat Dec 24, 2005 7:12 am

Quoting Greasespot (Reply 44):
And you posted that in here why?

Yeah why ??, I'd be feeling the same, but look at the wonderful replies from the rest of us, we are truely with you

Claire x

greasespot

Sat Dec 24, 2005 12:07 pm

oh i have over looked it....I peek in here throughout the day for a boost...Now i am in the smiling stage where i think of all the things that he did that made me smile at him and go aaaahhhhh ... Smile

Plus i have his sister to care for and she is helping lots.

Christine

Continental

Sat Dec 24, 2005 2:15 pm

Have you considered getting a Ray II? Kittens are fun.

57AZ

Sat Dec 24, 2005 3:31 pm

Terribly sorry to hear of your loss. The choice to euthanize is never easy, regardless of whether it involves a pet or a human. I have been fortunate in that none of my previous cats ever had to be put down-the few that did die died either of natural causes or accidents where death was instant.

The cat I now have is a 18 month old Bombay named Dale. He, like all of my previous cats came from the local Humane Society facility in Tucson, Arizona and was a very lucky cat. From what information the HS had on him, he was originally given up by his previous owners to Pima County Animal Control. Fortunately for him, Pima County Animal Control had too many cats and transferred most of the incoming cats (including Dale) to the Humane Society. Talking with one of my co-workers who once worked as an Animal Control Officer for Pima County, we learned what a brush with death he had. According to her, Pima County Animal Control will hold adoptable animals at the shelter for a very short amount of time-usually no more than three days. If they are not immediately adopted, the animals are put down. Southern Arizona Humane Society on the other hand does not have a set time limit. They will not euthanize adoptable animals as long as they have shelter space. When we met Dale, he had been at the Southern Arizona Humane Society for three weeks. I know that euthanization will be a hard choice for me and Dale if it ever comes to that.
"When a man runs on railroads over half of his lifetime he is fit for nothing else-and at times he don't know that."

redngold

Sun Dec 25, 2005 12:20 am

Christine -

I'm sorry to hear about your little buddy. He was a part of your family... and will be sorely missed. FUS is insidious and even if you provide chronic care (like special food) it can worsen suddenly. I hope you know you made the right decision. Your other cat is going ot act "funny" for a while until she gets used to the loss of her brother and playmate. I hope you can spend a few days cuddling with her.

crying  red
Up, up and away!