Topic Author

Asian Tsunami: One Year On

Mon Dec 26, 2005 6:37 pm

Were you affected by the devastation?

Nearly a quarter of a million people were killed by the Indian Ocean tsunami that struck on 26 December last year.

Record levels of aid were pledged in the aftermath of the disaster. However, a recent Oxfam report estimates that only 20% of the 1.8 million people made homeless have been given 'satisfactory permanent accommodation'.

Did the tsunami affect you? Is the pace of reconstruction too slow? Can life ever return to normal?

RE: Asian Tsunami: One Year On

Mon Dec 26, 2005 8:24 pm

The tsunami was horrific, and a disaster on a scale which we rarely see. A lot of the damage was to areas which are, by western standards, under-developed in terms of accommodation and facilities for people who live there. Reconstruction will necessarily be slow in some places, faster in others. For some, life - at least on the surface - seems to be returning to normal, but for most maybe it never will.
Agencies like Oxfam, who presumably are always looking for donations, would have a different view on progress to the locals.
Anyway, its not something to quibble about here. The reponse by people and many governments of the world was overwhelming in its generosity. Today many people are re-living the horror of a year ago. I hope the levels of international co-operation and concern will ensure that re-building of at least the material things continues to happen as quickly as possible. We can only hope and pray that the rebuilding of the lifestyle of the people will one day also be complete. What we dont need is a media feeding frenzy on the anniversary.
"...every aircraft is subtly different.."

Tue Dec 27, 2005 3:04 am

I was thinking about this tragedy today and I STILL can't believe the number of people who were killed. I just can't even conceive of what these families went through and what they are STILL living......so sad.
Live for Today.....tomorrow is NOT guaranteed.

Tue Dec 27, 2005 3:25 am

I STILL can't believe the number of people that ignored the basic laws of physics that day.

I learned it when I was eight years old....and I'm nowhere near an ocean. The ocean just doesn't recede like that. It's going to come back violently.

Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

Tue Dec 27, 2005 6:37 am

Tsunami was a big chock in Finland too, as 178 Finns died in Thailand and Sri Lanka. In a small country like Finland, it was the biggest disaster since WW2,
Swedish, German and Finnish tourists were the most unlucky ones.
One Finnair's 757 was changed to an ambulance plane to get hundreds of injured Finns out of Phuket.

I left Phuket a week before the disaster.

But of course, the the local people in the Tsunami area suffered more than anyone else.
Chinese cookie in SFO: "You're doomed to a life of forever travelling abroad and to be able to afford it!"

Tue Dec 27, 2005 6:56 am

I was at work in a directory enq call centre when we suddenly started getting lots and ltos of crying people asking for embassy and consulate numbers. After 2 hours the bosses took us to the telly room to let us know what was goin on, and gave us the emergency number to give out, not a happy day, hearing all those people crying. I hate to think how many of them lost loved ones on that day
Where does the time go???

Tue Dec 27, 2005 7:39 am

still remember the day like it was yesterday, horrific death toll and damage like never seen before, the earthquake itself left Bandah Aceh looking like something out of a nuclear holocaust. The tsunami itself managed to reach our coast here in Western Australia, no deaths or injuries were recorded here due to the low population in the area it hit.

Tue Dec 27, 2005 8:04 am

Its unreal what happened. I'm watching a program on last years tsunami on the Discovery Channel. God works in mysterious ways
With gun control there can be no democracy.. With gun control there can be no Freedom