Dougloid
Topic Author

Country With The Worst Made Products

Tue Dec 27, 2005 11:26 am

What is the worst product you ever bought?

Where did it come from?

Here's your chance.
If you believe in coincidence, you haven't looked close enough-Joe Leaphorn

theCoz

RE: Country With The Worst Made Products

Tue Dec 27, 2005 11:37 am

Taiwan & China. Oh ya, and France. Absolute Crap.

And since GKirk is in Scotland, I say Scotland as well.  Smile

DfwRevolution

Tue Dec 27, 2005 11:58 am

China. The future, my ass:

- Horrible labor conditions
- Non-existent safety and environmental regulation
- Corrupt management/government
- Widespread counterfeiting
- Cheap, low-quality goods

Thank you:

lesmainwaring

Tue Dec 27, 2005 12:02 pm

KOREAN CARS !!!

At least the Kia I bought in 2000 ... there was an electrical fire the first week I owned it, and something continually wrong with it. It seemed like it was in the shop more than out ... finally I traded it in for a Toyota.

It is funny, 2 weeks after buying my Kia, "Consumer Reports" magazine came out with their car buying guide and called the Sephia one of the worse cars available and said not to buy under and circumstances.

I guess Kia (now that they are owned by Hyundai) has a bit better reputation, but it ruined me on Korean built cars forever. As long as I can afford a Toyota or Honda, that's the route I will go.

The Lester Mainwaring Party
I want something under my wheels thats plenty long and mighty dry --- Vern Demarest

MDorBust

Tue Dec 27, 2005 12:04 pm

Where is the airbus factory again?

duck  flamed 
"I KICKED BURNING TERRORIST SO HARD IN BALLS THAT I TORE A TENDON" - Alex McIlveen

FriendlySkies

Tue Dec 27, 2005 12:22 pm

In general, China, mostly do the work conditions, etc.

As for cars...I'm sure there are some oddballs, but I'm gonna have to say overall the US makes the crappiest cars (these days anyway).

zootrix

Tue Dec 27, 2005 12:30 pm

Italy - worst customer service (if you can consider that a commodity/product, in a business operation sense)
China - all that Wal-Mart junk (just have to wonder whose economy is this Christmas shopping helping?)
Britain - some foods
USA - beer, cars (driving a company Dodge, its just not a chick magnet
 weeping 

We're Nuts

Tue Dec 27, 2005 3:43 pm

Dear moderators: No.

ME AVN FAN

Tue Dec 27, 2005 8:41 pm

Quoting MDorBust (Reply 4):
Where is the airbus factory again?

you certainly mean the Airbus-factory in Hamburg/Germany, and the factories in Great Britain and Spain ?

oldeuropean

Tue Dec 27, 2005 9:25 pm

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 8):
you certainly mean the Airbus-factory in Hamburg/Germany, and the factories in Great Britain and Spain ?

... and these in the US, producing American parts for the Buses.

Axel
Wer nichts weiss muss alles glauben

Mir

Wed Dec 28, 2005 1:35 am

Cars: Yugoslavia. Yes, I know that the US has cranked out more than its share of crappy cars (the Ford Pinto springs to mind like an exploding gas tank), but the Yugo's first attempt was bad enough that they didn't even bother giving it a second shot.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

Newark777

Wed Dec 28, 2005 1:44 am

Quoting FriendlySkies (Reply 5):
As for cars...I'm sure there are some oddballs, but I'm gonna have to say overall the US makes the crappiest cars (these days anyway).

Where's that video of that Chinese car's crash test.  Wink

Harry
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

FMAL

Wed Dec 28, 2005 2:09 am

My worst expirences have been with Mexican products (TV and specially cars) and Argentinean cars.....complete crap.

AsstChiefMark

Wed Dec 28, 2005 2:25 am

Taiwan makes the worst shit. Have you ever used any tools made in Taiwan?

It's always a treat to read the instructions.

Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

mygind66

Wed Dec 28, 2005 3:01 am

Hi folks..

We're going to miss soon all the good products coming from Japan, USA, or Europe and watching the Made in China or Made in PRC and similar crap..

Cheers

Enrique

isuA380B777

Wed Dec 28, 2005 4:40 am

Quoting Mygind66 (Reply 14):
We're going to miss soon all the good products coming from Japan, USA, or Europe and watching the Made in China or Made in PRC and similar crap..

I think the high labour cost in first world countries, gives an absolute advantage for those countries with low labour costs, hence we are closing down our factories and buy things from those countries.

Dougloid
Topic Author

Wed Dec 28, 2005 12:20 pm

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 13):
Taiwan makes the worst shit. Have you ever used any tools made in Taiwan?

Whey you're working for a living you soon learn the value of good tools both in time saved and in work not ruined. I started out with Craftsman and worked my way up to an all Snapon set and I have never regretted it.

The biggest problem is getting repair parts for stuff that comes from offshore. Nothing's standardized and it's not built to be repaired. If you're OK with tossing it after it breaks that's fine.

mham001

Wed Dec 28, 2005 3:19 pm

China. Ive been buying these motherboard/chip sets from Frys. Exactly 50% of the Chinese motherboards get returned for one reason or another. Absolute no sense of quality control. And some people think they're gonna rule the world???

checkraiser

Wed Dec 28, 2005 3:36 pm

Quoting Dougloid (Reply 16):
Whey you're working for a living you soon learn the value of good tools both in time saved and in work not ruined. I started out with Craftsman and worked my way up to an all Snapon set and I have never regretted it.

Craftsman is definately the best bang for the buck but Snap-On is the finest tool to own.

And yes, they are overpriced.
N1120A is a camel-fucking terrorist.

Derico

Wed Dec 28, 2005 4:27 pm

Quoting FMAL (Reply 12):
My worst expirences have been with Mexican products (TV and specially cars) and Argentinean cars.....complete crap

LOL, people in Argentina think Brazilian cars are complete junk... they get 'recalled' all the time!
My internet was not shut down, the internet has shut me down

gkirk

Wed Dec 28, 2005 7:23 pm

Switzerland, the whole place sucks. And it's stuck between France and Germany  yuck   yuck 
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

Andreas

Wed Dec 28, 2005 7:50 pm

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 20):
And it's stuck between France and Germany

Kinda funny coming from an aboriginee of a place that would best be described as a geological anomaly, stuck between several oceans and, well England, ok, but let's not get into details here...  Wink

Switzerland, the whole place sucks

Which is the very reason why you go there all the time...to find out what sucking means...and maybe even hoping to get the first suck of your miserable existence, whatever it means, right? Big grin
I know it's only VfB but I like it!

gkirk

Wed Dec 28, 2005 8:00 pm

Hawd yer wheesht Andreas

[Edited 2005-12-28 12:12:34]

ME AVN FAN

Wed Dec 28, 2005 8:45 pm

watching the Made in China or Made in PRC and similar crap..

I would NOT generalize in that way. The best bostitch I ever had was from the PRC and even a Chinese trademark. You can find shoddy lousy products in all countries. There may be a bad producer, or just bad luck to get the odd one in a large series. And never forget that a lot of "product-faults/failures" are the result of transportation and/or storage. I once in New York had, as rental car, a Chevrolet which was a disaster. Does THIS mean anything about Chevrolet ? Nonsense, the point was that right at the time, they were heavily booked and the car-rental companies "mobilized" whatever car they had anywhere in the garages. And I was content to HAVE a car in the right category. True, I heard from various sides in recent years, that South Korean cars are inferior in regard to quality. Maybe, but I remember to have had a South Korean one on Malta for a few days, which was perfect. Maybe the positive exception ?! Whatever, I oppose prejudice.

Andreas

Wed Dec 28, 2005 8:49 pm

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 22):
[Edited 2005-12-28 12:12:34]

I'd be really interested in reading what was written there BEFORE your edit.  Wink Big grin

ME AVN FAN

Wed Dec 28, 2005 9:08 pm

Switzerland, the whole place

so angry about the meagre success of your tour of
Glasgow area watering holes ?

TNboy

Wed Dec 28, 2005 9:14 pm

Rolex watches are total, absolute crap!!!

The one I bought in Istanbul for ten Australian dollars keeps good time, but the band is flaking. One I bought in Bali for a similar price wasn't too reliable either.
Cheers
Bill
"...every aircraft is subtly different.."

gkirk

Wed Dec 28, 2005 9:37 pm

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 25):
so angry about the meagre success of your tour of
Glasgow area watering holes ?

Stop trolling you muppet

halls120

Wed Dec 28, 2005 10:49 pm

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 23):
You can find shoddy lousy products in all countries. There may be a bad producer, or just bad luck to get the odd one in a large series.

Agree 100%. It is silly to suggest that an entire country makes the "best" or "worst" products - especially in the age of globalization...
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

Andreas

Wed Dec 28, 2005 10:51 pm

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 28):
It is silly to suggest that an entire country makes the "worst" products

Except Scotland, of course, but since it is not even a country, the point is somewhat moot... Big grin

jush

Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:19 am

Quoting DfwRevolution (Reply 2):
- Horrible labor conditions
- Non-existent safety and environmental regulation

You and a little bit of brain, my ass.

That are exactly the conditions in every industial nation when it became industrial.
China is at its beginning and i reckon labor rights and all the stuff you mentioned will get better.

Regds
jush
There is one problem with airbus. Though their products are engineering marvels they lack passion, completely.

ME AVN FAN

Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:10 am

Quoting TNboy (Reply 26):
---
The one I bought in Istanbul for ten Australian dollars keeps good time, but the band is flaking. One I bought in Bali for a similar price wasn't too reliable either.

Rolex watches are NOT available at prices below 300 US-Dollars. What you bought are the famous Rolex-fakes. Places like Bali and Istanbul are known for having such "offers"

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 27):
Stop

No reason to get angry+grumpy !

Dougloid
Topic Author

Thu Dec 29, 2005 2:15 am

Quoting Checkraiser (Reply 18):
Quoting Dougloid (Reply 16):

Craftsman is definately the best bang for the buck but Snap-On is the finest tool to own.

And yes, they are overpriced.

True, but when ultimate performance and precision is required Snapon's the only game in town. There are some poseurs-Matco and Mac come to mind-but they don't measure up. Oh, I never spent money on anything they sell that isn't performance oriented-their rollaways, for instance. But they make really nice dial indicating torque wrenches.
The way I did it was, every time I got a road trip I'd take all that extra money for the OT and replace another drawer full of Craftsman with Snapon.

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 31):
Quoting TNboy (Reply 26):
---

Rolex watches are NOT available at prices below 300 US-Dollars. What you bought are the famous Rolex-fakes. Places like Bali and Istanbul are known for having such "offers"

In the words of the immortal Foghorn Leghorn, "That's a joke son."

jaysit

Thu Dec 29, 2005 2:29 am

They said the same thing about Japanese cars and products not so long ago.

How times change.
Atheism is Myth Understood.

luisde8cd

Thu Dec 29, 2005 2:37 am

Is not a country but a renegade island:

TAIWAN

Tell me about crappy products...

Saludos desde Monterrey,
Luis

aer lingus

Thu Dec 29, 2005 3:25 am

French cars!
The first French car that we got was a 1996 Peugeot 406 in 2000. After about 14 months the car got some very weird problem probably the ECU. While cruising at around 60mph (100kph) the engine seems to stall and then starts again and the feeling is like sitting on a plane with severe turbulence bouncing around. In late 2001 the car finally got rear ended and end of story for this car.

Then we got a Peugeot 307 automatic in 2002 because we heard good things about it. In one occasion all the lights and electronics stopped working for about 5 seconds. After a few months we got a week of continous rain and some roads got flooded. We went through a flood and about three days after the car had no 1st and reverse gear. Repaired by warranty. Then one month after the warranty ended. The engine block decided to leak coolant. We decided to get a bigger car because this car is a bit too small for us and also we didn't know how much or how long is it repairing the leak.

So we decided to get another French car. We got another Peugeot again because the best trade in price was another Peugeot garage. Toyota and VW garages doesn't seemed to be interested in the 307 as the trade in price they gave was too low. So we got the Peugeot 307SW in 2003. When I got the oppurtunity to drive it around. I found the gears crap. After about 6 weeks the ECU detected a problem with the electronic throttle. It took the garage 2 days to replace the throttle. The car felt very under powered as the brochure said it has 100BHP @ 5800rpm and 147NM @ 4000rpm. Probably due to the very short gearing. Then I made some modifications to the intake. Shortened the intake pipe by 2/3's and replace the original air filter with a K&N. Replaced the engine oil with 0W-40 instead of 15W-40. It did had some improvement but very slight. Now the clutch starts to feel weird. Once I release the clutch halfway I felt some friction. Greasing the joints and springs didn't seemed to work and the clutch doesn't releases easily and smoothly.

After all of this I don't think I am going to get another French car for a while.
French cars looks nice from the outside. But the electronics and some moving parts are craply made.
Split Scimitar or Sharklets?

jcs17

Thu Dec 29, 2005 3:52 am

I've got three words:

"Hecho en Mexico"
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

DfwRevolution

Thu Dec 29, 2005 4:06 am

Quoting Jush (Reply 30):
You and a little bit of brain, my ass.

That are exactly the conditions in every industial nation when it became industrial.China is at its beginning and i reckon labor rights and all the stuff you mentioned will get better.

We're talking about today, now aren't we?

The thread title is "country with the worst made products," not "country with the worst made products 50 years from now." Everything I said was applicable. China can simply not become the future economic powerhouse they are made out to be without drastically improving the quality of their goods.

[Edited 2005-12-28 20:09:27]

TNboy

Thu Dec 29, 2005 7:11 am

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 31):
Rolex watches are NOT available at prices below 300 US-Dollars. What you bought are the famous Rolex-fakes.

Quoting Dougloid (Reply 32):
In the words of the immortal Foghorn Leghorn, "That's a joke son."

Thanks Dougloid - I didn't think anyone would need to point out the bleeding obvious!!!!!! But for ME AVN FAN's benefit ..... I knew that!! And yes, it WAS a joke.

Cheers
Bill

aerorobnz

Thu Dec 29, 2005 7:27 am

Quoting Jush (Reply 30):
China is at its beginning and i reckon labor rights and all the stuff you mentioned will get better.

Actually Chinese products have come on in leaps and bounds in recent years, most of our labelled stuff comes from the same production plants in China as the 'generic brands' we deem rubbish..

Quoting DfwRevolution (Reply 2):

Those criteria could apply to most countries around the world.
Flown to 120 Airports in 44 Countries on 73 Operators. Visited 55 Countries and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

DaddiesSecret

Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:25 am

Indian Restaurant food made in America

ME AVN FAN

Thu Dec 29, 2005 7:47 pm

Quoting TNboy (Reply 38):
anyone would need to point out the bleeding obvious!!!!!!

well, according to  hissyfit  Rolex-spokesmen, 10'000s of fakes are sold worldwide, seriously damaging their interests.

TNboy

Thu Dec 29, 2005 7:57 pm

Yeah, the 'fake' market must be huge, but I wonder whether people, even in those numbers, buying obviously fake Rolexes, etc., damage the genuine market?

If I want a decent watch, I will buy one - I wear a Longines Charles Lindbergh Limited edition - but I dont mind spending $10 on a piece of fun copy rubbish to get knocked about when I am on holiday. However, it is never a choice between that and the genuine article.

You do have a good point though - the dvd market, for example, is now awash with cheap rip-offs that people buy instead of the originals, as well as clothing, to name just a few. These obviously harm the market for originals.

Cheers
Bill

ME AVN FAN

Thu Dec 29, 2005 8:28 pm

Quoting TNboy (Reply 43):
but I wonder whether people, even in those numbers, buying obviously fake Rolexes, etc., damage the genuine market?

-
I wonder as well, BUT reps of such companies insist on having damages in the height of millions of Swiss Francs .

TNboy

Thu Dec 29, 2005 9:36 pm

Of course they do. But that doesn't necessarily reflect one lost sale - simply a paranoia about the possibility. Honestly - who would buy a cheap fake in the street for peanuts INSTEAD of a genuine - say - Rolex. Nobody. What the reps are objecting to, and quite correctly, is the theft of the brand name and the copyright. If anyone was serious about stopping rip-offs they could do a much better job than they are. Posturing is just that - posturing.
In fact, its probably a strange sort of flattery - you only copy the best... however badly.
Cheers
Bill

andz

Thu Dec 29, 2005 9:50 pm

Quoting JCS17 (Reply 36):
I've got three words:

"Hecho en Mexico"

I work for a GE distributor and many of our products are made in Mexico, as well as India, Korea, Japan and China. It all comes down to QA procedures, everything is CE marked and conforms to EC and FDA medical device directives, so just labelling a country is a bit short sighted. I've seen crap made in Germany, the US and the UK too.
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

IAH777

Thu Dec 29, 2005 10:27 pm

This many replies and no one has mentioned Sweden's finest - Ikea?!? Everything looks great in the store, but you get it home and A) you discover the need for an astrophysicist's assistance and B) most of the parts are in the box.

ME AVN FAN

Thu Dec 29, 2005 10:38 pm

Quoting TNboy (Reply 45):
you only copy the best... however badly

suppose that technical "copies" seldom achieve the quality of the original while it looks different with clothing. Once bought copies of jeans in North-Nicosia / TurkishCyprus, and they clearly were better than original ones of the same trademark.

TNboy

Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:00 am

I have a feeling that some of the sweatshops in places like Macau actually make genuine brands for the major international stores, while also providing large quantities of 'copies' of the same product for distribution on the streets. Now THAT is a really interesting concept!
Cheers
Bill.

Dougloid
Topic Author

Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:07 am

Quoting DaddiesSecret (Reply 41):
Indian Restaurant food made in America

Ahhhhhhh, you're just jealous because we have clean pots and pans here. We know it damages the flavor but we can't help ourselves.