9VSPO
Topic Author

UK Rail Fare Hike A Joke?

Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:33 pm

SCHEDULED rail fare rises of up to nine per cent today took effect. A standard class open return between London and Edinburgh will be rising from £206 to £220. For the first time the cost of a ticket from London to Manchester has gone over the £200 mark. Isn't this a bit excessive? Wouldn't it be cheaper to fly? Are the price increases really going to make a difference to services?

tfsphoto

RE: UK Rail Fare Hike A Joke?

Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:45 pm

Quoting 9VSPO (Thread starter):
Are the price increases really going to make a difference to services?

I very much doubt it, the service as a standard passenger i think personally is crap. Im not saying that the staff are bad, but the services, the actual trains as all shambles.. I only ever travel on passenger trains when im trying to get somewhere with work to pick a locomotive, train up or whatever and i always sit in first class and dont pay a fare.. however, i remember the last increase here, a return ticket from Scunthorpe to Manchester Airport was £29.50 and then it went upto £35 standard class.. hell ill let you on my freight train for £30!  rotf 

Lew

planesarecool

Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:58 pm

Isn't it great when you can get anywhere in the UK in first class for £2? Yes indeed it is Big grin

London-Manchester: £2 first class
London-Edinburgh: £2 first class
Penzance-Wick: £2 first class

Smile

Stephen

dl021

Tue Jan 03, 2006 12:31 am

Is the time saved by not going to an airport not worth it?

How many train rides in the UK are more than a couple of hours?

What are the services offered?
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

jush

Tue Jan 03, 2006 12:44 am

Quoting Planesarecool (Reply 2):
Isn't it great when you can get anywhere in the UK in first class for �2? Yes indeed it is Big grin

London-Manchester: �2 first class
London-Edinburgh: �2 first class
Penzance-Wick: �2 first class

Smile

Stephen

That is an even better discount than my 33,333333 % from my YP railcard.

How'd you get that?

REgds
jush
There is one problem with airbus. Though their products are engineering marvels they lack passion, completely.

Gman94

Tue Jan 03, 2006 12:51 am

Quoting Planesarecool (Reply 2):
Isn't it great when you can get anywhere in the UK in first class for £2? Yes indeed it is

London-Manchester: £2 first class
London-Edinburgh: £2 first class
Penzance-Wick: £2 first class

Blimey the priv fares have gone up since my day, when I had my priv card it was £1 fare anywhere in the country.  Wink
British Airways - The Way To Fly

FLYtoEGCC

Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:11 am

Quoting TFSPhoto (Reply 1):
Im not saying that the staff are bad, but the services, the actual trains as all shambles.

I'm not so sure... I agree that the price hikes are excessive and probably unfair, but at the same time the services are much better now than they were. Passenger rolling stock has been replaced on pretty much the entire south-east suburban network, the WCML has 53 brand new Pendolinos, the ECML is having all its trains refurbished, First is refurbishing its Great Western HST fleet, MML has refurbished its HSTs and bought the Meridians... the list goes on.

The main problem is that a lot of intercity services which carry a lot of passengers, such as Liverpool-Norwich, some south-western Wessex Trains routes and the entire Transpennine Express network, all use rolling stock that's just not designed for high-demand intercity routes. It's passengers on these routes which have the biggest grounds for complaint. I think it's unfair, however, to say all services and the trains themselves are a shambles - as a passenger, it's ten times better than it was ten years ago.
Come fly with me, let's fly, let's fly away...

Go3Team

Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:15 am

Wouldn't it be also cheaper to drive, for those that are able to anyway. I thought that the intended effect was to keep people out of their cars, and into public transport. Seems like the other way around.

Back in January when I visited, it was about £14 return from where we were staying in Luton, to St. Pancras/Kings Cross. That seemed rather much back then as the exchange rate was almost £1=$2.
Yay Pudding!

pilot kaz

Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:42 am

London - Manchester over £200??? Christ! I got it for £55 RTN less than 24 hours before travel.... And on new Years!
-

9VSPO
Topic Author

Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:01 am

To be honest, I have no current experience of trains since I drive. The last time I used a train was Wigan to Euston about 15 years ago that I paid about £18 for a return ticket!

But when you see airlines like Jet2 and BMI offering cheap flights it seems pretty daft.  Confused

pilot kaz

Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:06 am

Quoting 9VSPO (Reply 9):
But when you see airlines like Jet2 and BMI offering cheap flights it seems pretty daft

Jet2 yeah maybe but to LGW only...

Bmi not any more.... I looked at flights the other day. £18 RTN and £46 taxes which made it to around £64.... When they was a frills airline you paid no more than £52.... With better times also and a business class service on offer.

You Might as well take BA now......
-

RichardPrice

Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:32 am

Just made the journey from Rugby to Chippenham (via Bham New St and Bristol TM) and the service was dreadful.

Bham to Bristol train was packed (Penzance train, Virgin). I booked a first class seat to ensure i got one, got on the train and low and behold, my seat wasnt reserved! Whats more, the train was 150% packed, people were standing in the aisles and toilets, you literally couldnt move (which made getting off interesting).

They really need to sort it out, its not worth the price.

SQno1

Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:47 am

I had a terrible experience with Virgin at the end of the last year between Exeter St. Davids and Penrith.

Exeter - Oxenholme

* Train arrived 10 minutes late at Exeter.

* Seat Reservations Not Working, due to them not being updated following a derailment at Gloucester. Customer host did sod all to help.

* No Buffet Available between Bristol Temple Meads & Birmingham New Street due to passengers cramming the buffet for space.

* Derailment At Gloucester made journey an hour longer.

* Missed connection at Oxenholme, unhelpful staff on train who gave us no info aobut other connecitons. Very helpful person on platform ho got us complimentary taxi to Penrith.

Penrith - Preston

* Good journey, no problems.

Preston - Exeter

* 45 Minutes late!

* Only four coaches for a long journey as Glasgow To Penzance, your bloody mad!!

* Overcrowded all the way, people were not allowed to board at Bristol Temple Meads, wait for the next train, if your'e going beyond Plymouth, tough shit!

* Arrived Exeter 57 Minutes late, meant we were not entitled to a refund on the tickets, which cost £82.80 return.

Locally Wessex Trains are no better, on the Exeter-Exmouth line they keep putting only one coach on peak hour trains, where over 300 college students plus the 9-5 mob use.

With Regards,
Alex.B

MEA-707

Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:54 am

Also internationally seen the English train prices are rediculous. Anywhere, even in high wage/high cost countries like Switzerland, the Netherlands, Scandinavia etc. a typical 100 km/1 hr traveltime for the sector, roundtrip is no more then 20 euro (13 GBP).
nobody has ever died from hard work, but why take the risk?

AsstChiefMark

Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:10 am

I used to do day saver returns from Birmingham New Street to London Euston for about £30 in 1988. What the hell happened? Other than the breakup of BR...

Mark
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

whitehatter

Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:28 am

What is changing is the amount of direct subsidy TOCs get for their fares. There was also chronic underinvestment for decades under both parties.

At least now there are newer trains, although most are far too small thanks to the increase in daily train journeys.

It's time this was built

http://www.central-railway.co.uk/
Lead me not into temptation, I can find my own way there...

planesarecool

Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:53 am

Quoting Gman94 (Reply 5):
Blimey the priv fares have gone up since my day, when I had my priv card it was £1 fare anywhere in the country.

Ah, but was that first class?  Wink Mind you on my local trains, you sneeze, the headrest cover falls on the floor, and first class becomes standard class. Its pretty good on long distance services because the complimentry food and drink i take advantage of would usually tot up to me more than the actual fare if i payed for them.

FLYtoEGCC

Tue Jan 03, 2006 4:22 am

Quoting Pilot kaz (Reply 8):
London - Manchester over �200??? Christ! I got it for �55 RTN less than 24 hours before travel.... And on new Years!

You'd have got a Saver Return ticket, not a Standard Open Return. There's limits on when you can user a Saver, it's valid on most trains but not usually peak-hour morning ones.

Quoting RichardPrice (Reply 11):
Bham to Bristol train was packed (Penzance train, Virgin).

Quoting SQNo1 (Reply 12):
No Buffet Available between Bristol Temple Meads & Birmingham New Street due to passengers cramming the buffet for space.

Quoting SQNo1 (Reply 12):
Only four coaches for a long journey as Glasgow To Penzance, your bloody mad!!

The people to blame for this are the government's now-disbanded Strategic Rail Authority (SRA), who were responsible for organisation of the network before it finally dawned on the people at the top just how crap they were at running a railway. For example, those of you who have had bad experiences on Virgin mentioned above, you'll have been on Virgin Cross Country routes which use Voyager trains. As I understand it, when Virgin took over the franchise in the mid-90s, it was them who ordered, after consultation with the SRA, the 4- and 5-car Voyagers with the intention of running double the number of services using shorter trains than the unreliable and poorly-maintained HSTs they replaced. Of course, brand shiny new trains resulted in stimulating passenger growth to the tune of 80%+ over five years or so (can't remember the exact statistic) so the trains were just as packed as before. Virgin wanted to buy extra coaches for the Voyager fleet, were prepared to raise the necessary finance themselves and the SRA's response was "no", despite the case put forward. There was no particular reason given, it was just "no".

As a result of the SRA's bone-headedness we're seeing ludicrous situations where the Voyagers are suffering from unreliability themselves (manufacturing defects, apparently) and VERY severe overcrowding. I've never seen anything like Leeds station at rush hour, when about 300 people tried to cram on to an already-full train that couldn't barely fit them on if it was empty. Now the SRA has gone, hopefully we'll start to see some improvements because we have Network Rail - people who actually know how to run a railway - in charge, as opposed to a load of wannabe politicians with second-rate business degrees.

But, of course, these things take time and for that reason I agree that these fare increases are unjustified. We should be seeing the improvements before we start paying for them (especially as we're ALREADY paying for them through tax), because in the long run it's not going to get anyone out of their cars or aircraft and on to trains. Go3Team is right - it is cheaper to drive in most cases.
Come fly with me, let's fly, let's fly away...

airworlda320

Tue Jan 03, 2006 4:41 am

I do n't care I just use my free rail passes, do n't cost me a penny (anywhere in the UK on the rail network) unless I use all 16 boxes and then I get 75% discount after they have been used up!!!!!!!
Pull off kid, it ill go.

tfsphoto

Tue Jan 03, 2006 4:44 am

Quoting AirworldA320 (Reply 18):
I do n't care I just use my free rail passes, do n't cost me a penny (anywhere in the UK on the rail network) unless I use all 16 boxes and then I get 75% discount after they have been used up!!!!!!!

That's the only way to do it these days!

Lew

RichardPrice

Tue Jan 03, 2006 4:46 am

Anyone know if theres flights from Bristol to Bham International at all? I would love to fly rather than take the train  Smile

airworlda320

Tue Jan 03, 2006 4:57 am

Quoting TFSPhoto (Reply 19):
Quoting AirworldA320 (Reply 18):

That's the only way to do it these days!

Lew

Yeah but Im so cheeky to ask the conductor if I can use first class (being Rail staff) , most of the times I get away with it!!!
 Big grin
Pull off kid, it ill go.

tfsphoto

Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:05 am

Quoting AirworldA320 (Reply 21):
Yeah but Im so cheeky to ask the conductor if I can use first class (being Rail staff) , most of the times I get away with it!!!

Why not go a step futher? i do it all the time just go sit in the back cab.. saying that i know most of the TPE staff around this area so they have no reason not to let us poor underpaid EWS drivers in! And if they get snotty, ask them for their name, crew base and managers name and i assure you they will shine your shoes for you! Done it manier time!!

If i ever pass up your way ill give you a blast.. keep a eye out!

Lew

Banco

Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:22 am

It's the commuters who tend to get crucified.

If you work in London you don't really have much choice but to take the train, and the operators know it. The commuters are the ones who usually get hit with the biggest price rises, and also have to put up with the worst service.

The Brighton-London trains are an absolute joke. The trains are crammed solid, and you haven't a hope of getting a seat in the morning. The price is now over £3,000 a year for that same appalling service - animals aren't allowed to be transported in the conditions commuters must put up with, not counting the fact that they charge you an absolute fortune to park your car at the railway station too.

But if you work in London, what can you do? You can't drive in, you're stuffed. My wife ended up giving up her job in London because she couldn't put up with the journey any more. Her choice of course, but she liked the job itself.
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

airworlda320

Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:27 am

Quoting TFSPhoto (Reply 22):
Why not go a step futher? i do it all the time just go sit in the back cab.. saying that i know most of the TPE staff around this area so they have no reason not to let us poor underpaid EWS drivers in! And if they get snotty, ask them for their name, crew base and managers name and i assure you they will shine your shoes for you! Done it manier time!!

If i ever pass up your way ill give you a blast.. keep a eye out!

Next time you are on the Carlisle-Milford coal run give us a shout, would n't mind a cab ride!!!!!, BTW if you do go through Skipton, Green lights all the way mate!!!
Pull off kid, it ill go.

tfsphoto

Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:33 am

Quoting AirworldA320 (Reply 24):
BTW if you do go through Skipton, Green lights all the way mate!!!

Last time i went through skipton was earlier last year, i hauled a charter to carslile and then had 2 steamers haul back to york and then i hooked up back and hauled back to doncaster and then one of the relief drivers took over.. and continued the tour home.

If im ever up your way ill be sure to give you a shout and a cab ride just might be possible.. Added you to my respected users also.

Cheers,

Lew

Pe@rson

Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:35 am

There clearly must be considerable reform in terms of reliability; punctuality; seat allocation; comfort; and so forth. Although more time-consuming and costly, I believe an airport-style (i.e. proper check-in and selling the same number of tickets as seats, and a few extra) operation would improve the overall system. Once it is all runningly smoothly and everyone's amazingly pleased and happy, then a small price rise would be accepted. But it's absurd to increase prices - yet again - when the quality, reliability and punctuality isn't there, although it is improving.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

airworlda320

Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:37 am

Quoting TFSPhoto (Reply 25):
Last time i went through skipton was earlier last year, i hauled a charter to carslile and then had 2 steamers haul back to york and then i hooked up back and hauled back to doncaster and then one of the relief drivers took over.. and continued the tour home.

If im ever up your way ill be sure to give you a shout and a cab ride just might be possible.. Added you to my respected users also.

Cheers,

Lew

Returned, and if you ever want to visit York IECC just give me a shout and I will arange it!!!
Pull off kid, it ill go.

mhodgson

Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:20 am

Quoting AirworldA320 (Reply 27):

Returned, and if you ever want to visit York IECC just give me a shout and I will arange it!!!

Does that apply to the rest of us who are interested in trains?  Silly

The main problem with public transport in the UK, is that apart from the bus and the tube, they are uncompetetive when the need to travel on a whim comes up. The train is great if you book 3 months in advance and aren't too concerned what time you get there; and get a £50 return to London, less so if you absolutely need to travel 3 days in advance, and arrive in the capital before 9am, in which case you get screwed over. Not so bad if you aren't paying yourself, but for most people it is cheaper to drive to central London on short notice.
No trees were harmed by this message. However, several million electrons were terribly inconvenienced

tfsphoto

Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:53 am

Quoting AirworldA320 (Reply 27):

Yeah that would be cool, ive got some time off late January so ill definatly give you a shout. Would this also be open to a friend of mine who's a conductor for TPE?

Cheers,

Lew

cxsjr

Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:23 am

Quoting Mhodgson (Reply 28):
Does that apply to the rest of us who are interested in trains?

Anyone remember Bedford Bricker?
The world is a book, those who do not travel read only one page ....

planesarecool

Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:48 pm

Just a general question, shouldn't people who work in London have their companies pay for their travel? My dad has to go up to Birmingham about once every two weeks, and although he gets a priv fare (usually about £40 first class), his company still pays for his travel. Isn't this the case elseware?

cxsjr

Tue Jan 03, 2006 4:56 pm

Quoting Planesarecool (Reply 31):
shouldn't people who work in London have their companies pay for their travel?

People who work in London do so of their own volition. It may be just the location of their chosen employer or the fact that they can earn more in London. Many don't actually live in London though as it is extremely expensive to live in the centre and, in fact, many of the surrounding areas!! Therefore, people choose, because it is (or at least was) cheaper to buy a home outside the capital and commute by train or tube on a daily basis.

Some companies make allowance for the fact that the cost of living is higher in London by paying a 'London weighting' - a supplement to the basic salary which accounts for this increased cost. Also, some will give interest free loans for annual travel season tickets.

I think I am right in saying though that if a company were to 'pay' for daily commuting, unless that journey was made mandatory by the company, then this would be a taxable benefit. Did you know that now, in the UK, if your company even provide you with a parking space, this too is a taxable benefit and companies should either levy a charge for that space or tax you accordingly??!!

All from personal expereince - been there, done that, got the crappy T-shirt!

cornish

Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:25 pm

Quoting Banco (Reply 23):
It's the commuters who tend to get crucified.

If you work in London you don't really have much choice but to take the train, and the operators know it. The commuters are the ones who usually get hit with the biggest price rises, and also have to put up with the worst service.

The Brighton-London trains are an absolute joke. The trains are crammed solid, and you haven't a hope of getting a seat in the morning. The price is now over £3,000 a year for that same appalling service - animals aren't allowed to be transported in the conditions commuters must put up with, not counting the fact that they charge you an absolute fortune to park your car at the railway station too.

But if you work in London, what can you do? You can't drive in, you're stuffed.

checkmark 

So true - and Southwest Trains which i use into Clapham Jct and Waterloo is one of the worst as well. Just got a weekly ticket today (didn't get a monthly as i'm going to be heading off elsewhere for work for two weeks this month). Price has gone up by over 5% and for that the train was late as usual this morning - despite my station being close to where the train started.

Going home in the evenings is worse - many people simply can't get on trains in the rush hour because they are so full.

I'd drive, but my route to work would see me going round one of the busiest sections of the M25. I could get in early enough in the mornnig to miss the traffic, but would face sitting at a standstill going home, whatever time I left at.
Just when I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, it was some B*****d with a torch bringing me more work

cxsjr

Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:51 pm

Quoting Cornish (Reply 33):
Clapham Jct and Waterloo

.... I've never missed anything less!! I have to say I found commuting out of Waterloo at 5:30pm abhorrent, especially having just come off the Waterloo and City line (for those of you that are less familiar, this line is affectionately called 'The Drain'!).

The whole UK train network is creeking: 20 years ago, major services were run with 8 or 9 proper carriages pulled by a proper engine; the same services today are run by two carriages crammed full of dirty plastic fittings. The old trains might have looked old, but they lasted three times as long as this modern rubbish, AND you were 5 times more likely to get a seat on them!

Banco

Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:22 pm

Quoting Cornish (Reply 33):
I'd drive, but my route to work would see me going round one of the busiest sections of the M25. I could get in early enough in the mornnig to miss the traffic, but would face sitting at a standstill going home, whatever time I left at.

And this is one of the issues that those who say people should get off the roads and on to the trains overlook. There simply isn't the capacity on the rail network to make any kind of material difference to road congestion. The oft-stated idea of getting people off the roads and on to the trains is a non-starter - where are they going to go when the trains are already hideously overcrowded.
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

cornish

Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:35 pm

Quoting Banco (Reply 35):
And this is one of the issues that those who say people should get off the roads and on to the trains overlook. There simply isn't the capacity on the rail network to make any kind of material difference to road congestion. The oft-stated idea of getting people off the roads and on to the trains is a non-starter - where are they going to go when the trains are already hideously overcrowded.

And at least in your car you're guaranteed a seat  Wink

Its true though - there is an incredible number of trains going out of the likes of Waterloo and Victoria in particular during the rush hour - absolutely full to brimming. There is no capacity to add extra trains, nor larger trains such as double deckers. routes out of Waterloo already have 8 coach trains - any more and they'd have to increase all the platform lengths at all the stations in the South East.
Just when I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, it was some B*****d with a torch bringing me more work

planesarecool

Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:40 pm

Down here in the south, train lengths are very good. 3 of the rush hour trains on my local line (Arun Valley, or Mid-Sussex line) are 12 coaches, and almost all trains during the day are 8 coaches. Two stations up my line at Horsham, the number of London bound trains goes from 4 and hour to 10 an hour between 7am and 8am, all consisting of 4, 8 or 12 coaches.

On my other nearby line, a lot of rush hour trains are 8, 10 or 12 coaches, and run 5x hour during rush hour. Again, go 15 minutes up the line, and that 5 goes to 12 hourly between 7 and 8am. All these services are 4,5,8,10 or 12 coaches long.

All train companies use all their trains throughout rush hour, and so they cannot increase train length any more and with the lines already jam packed, they can't bring in new services, so its not their fault the trains are full.

BMIFlyer

Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:53 am

Quoting 9VSPO (Thread starter):
UK Rail Fare Hike A Joke?

You have to pay my wages somehow  duck   Wink

Lee
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own

tfsphoto

Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:55 am

Quoting BMIFlyer (Reply 38):
You have to pay my wages somehow

Then that means we have to pull off to let you guys through! Rahrr!

Lew

LGW

Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:36 pm

Quoting Planesarecool (Reply 37):
Down here in the south, train lengths are very good. 3 of the rush hour trains on my local line (Arun Valley, or Mid-Sussex line) are 12 coaches, and almost all trains during the day are 8 coaches. Two stations up my line at Horsham, the number of London bound trains goes from 4 and hour to 10 an hour between 7am and 8am, all consisting of 4, 8 or 12 coaches.

On my other nearby line, a lot of rush hour trains are 8, 10 or 12 coaches, and run 5x hour during rush hour. Again, go 15 minutes up the line, and that 5 goes to 12 hourly between 7 and 8am. All these services are 4,5,8,10 or 12 coaches long.

All train companies use all their trains throughout rush hour, and so they cannot increase train length any more and with the lines already jam packed, they can't bring in new services, so its not their fault the trains are full.

Hi all,

I too use the Arun Valley line operated by Southern and am very impressed, the new trains are nice, on-time performance is fantastic and as the comment above says they can do little more than they do already.

The fare rises are rather sensationalised by the media, as I understand it the only fares to rise by (9% +/-) are some on the day fares if you turn up and say oh I want the next train from London to Manchester please.

Most fares, especially on SE areas are increasing by around 3-4% which isnt too much out of line with the real inflation figure.

In an idea world, of course I would like to see no rail fare increases but the simple fact is the whole network requires investment and I only speak for Southern when I say this but money is being spent on improve the services. All stations are being improved, CCTV, touch screen ticket machines even at my rural local station, new trains, better on-time performance better on-board food and drink facilities etc. It is the age old problem, people say they want a better railway but do not want to pay for it.

Overcrowding is a massive issue, as discussed earlier the London to Brighton line is way over in terms of demand Vs Capacity, as are many SE routes, however not much can be done as all slots at London terminals are being used and virtually all trains leaving London to Surrey/Sussex at rush hour are 12 coach trains; as the situation will only get worse with more people using the trains and more houses in the SE I can't see how they can actually tackle this problem.

Cheers

Ben