diamond

What Is/was Your Greatest Accomplishment?

Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:22 pm

Most parents will say that the births of their children are the finest moments in their lives.

But what other event, moment or thing do you regard as your greatest accomplishment in life?
Blank.

ANCFlyer

RE: What Is/was Your Greatest Accomplishment?

Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:26 pm

alert  alert  alert  Self Gloss Alert  alert  alert  alert 

Being Promoted to Command Sergeant Major in the U.S. Army on my 36th Birthday. Since I made the military a career, there was no other goal except to attain the highest enlisted rank possible. Fortunately, I managed it well ahead of my peers (was the youngest CSM in the Army the day I was promoted).
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

jush

Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:28 pm

There isn't much right now i'm only 21 but my achievements which make me a little proud though everybody can achieve them are my a-levels and my beloved driver's license.

Regds
jush
There is one problem with airbus. Though their products are engineering marvels they lack passion, completely.

beowulf

Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:29 pm

To become a conscious person and to overcome your failures seems like a great accomplishment to strive for.

KyleLosAngeles

Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:53 pm

I'm not sure if this is the greatest one, but it's somehwere near the top:

I switched majors three times during college and still got my Masters by age 22.
Happy 2006

Matt27

Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:59 pm

I don't really know, but having done military service and being promoted to sergeant is one thing. I think I can answer this question better in four years after having finished med school and (hopefully) I have graduated as a paramedic.

// Matt
Man ska inte dricka rödvin i en vit hall.

TNboy

Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:32 pm

Oh - that is a difficult question. Probably the most recent was taking up karate after I retired, and getting to be runner-up State Champion just three years later. But in the whole scheme of things, that is really just a little achievement that is nice to have - its not the sort of thing that you say has made your life complete.
I guess there are two things - still being loved by my wife (and vice versa) after a lot of years is one; and knowing that a lot of people that I have tried to help or be an example to over the years still regard me with a lot of love and respect (and vice versa) is the other.
If that sounds mawkish - sorry.
Bill
"...every aircraft is subtly different.."

diamond

Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:59 pm

Quoting TNboy (Reply 6):
If that sounds mawkish - sorry.

No it doesn't. Those are great things to be proud of.
Blank.

September11

Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:02 pm

Bowling seven career 300 games (300, that is all 12 strikes in one game) was my greatest accomplishment. My bowling accomplishment include several bowling tournament victories I have captured.
Airliners.net of the Future

KROC

Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:54 pm

Quoting September11 (Reply 8):
Bowling seven career 300 games (300, that is all 12 strikes in one game) was my greatest accomplishment. My bowling accomplishment include several bowling tournament victories I have captured.

Nothing like being proud of something you can do with a longneck in one hand and a heater dangling out of your mouth.  Wink

Mir

Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:13 pm

A Self-Gloss Alert:

My biggest accomplishment to date is singing in a performance of The Magic Flute at the Metropolitain Opera, without ever having had a rehearsal with the orchestra or on stage.

And managing not to screw it up.  relieved 

[/self-gloss]

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

AsstChiefMark

Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:56 am

I bought a 6 year old house that had been repossessed by the feds. I outbid the next-highest bidder by $201. I paid $58,000 for it. It had been occupied by a guy and his 10 buddies who turned it into a crack house.

When I toured the place there was:

1. A hundred holes punched in the drywall
2. 2 inches of moldy water in the basement
3. Moldy drywall in the walls of the basement
4. Water damage from an overflowed bathtub
5. Ruined carpet
6. The odor of the dead dog left in the living room
7. Gravel driveway, no deck, no landscaping, etc.

It took me 16 months to repair it all. The only things I reused were the kitchen cabinets and bathroom fixtures. The only thing I hired out was the concrete driveway and carpet laying.

Now it's worth $145,000.

Mark
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

SlamClick

Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:16 am

Getting thanked by my adult children for the way I raised them.

Convincing a fine woman to stick with me for 34 years when she could have done better.

Living the life I had mapped out for myself by the time I was seven years old.

Having been asked five different times in my life to take over and run a company that had been someone else' life's work. (I only accepted once and will not do so again.)

The only thing that shames me is those times when I failed to step up and do what was needed or what was right.
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

rjpieces

Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:18 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 10):
My biggest accomplishment to date is singing in a performance of The Magic Flute at the Metropolitain Opera, without ever having had a rehearsal with the orchestra or on stage.

And managing not to screw it up.

Wouldn't singing for the Chancellor of Germany in front of the United States Ambassador and other officials, not having had a rehearsal, be a greater accomplishment?  Smile
"Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon"

ArmitageShanks

Wed Jan 04, 2006 3:18 am

These are some things I'm proud of in my stupid 20 years of life:

Flying a plane solo before I drove a car
Graduating Highschool with good grades
Saved a drowning kid in the sea
Becoming very close to my grandparents
Becoming the first person in my family to attend college.
Winning awards for something I've created.

nhgrafx

Wed Jan 04, 2006 3:54 am

For me it was graduating college (graphic design associates degree), and returning to college again and currently working towards my 2nd degree (sociology bachelors degree). I have a learning disability and a lot of people told me growing up I wouldn't make it in college, but I proved them wrong and am doing it again for a 2nd time, which is what makes it such a great accomplishment for me. And yes I know graphic design and sociology is a rather odd combination, but I love sociology.
Is it weird I have a RemoveBeforeFlight pitot cover on my car rear view mirror?

Stretch 8

Wed Jan 04, 2006 3:58 am

For me, it is my marriage and young son, but both are still works in progress.
Maggs swings, it's a drive deep to left! The Tigers are going to the World Series!!!

searpqx

Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:10 am

Beating drugs and depression and turning my life 180 degrees. Got a wonderful partner, home and a career, and now I'm doing my best to help others who are facing what I went through.
"The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity"

Gilligan

Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:30 am

Quoting Beowulf (Reply 3):
To become a conscious person and to overcome your failures seems like a great accomplishment to strive for.

Yes, life is so useless when spent unconscious! lol  smirk  Did perhaps mean
conscientious my friend?

Two things. The day my Ranger Tab was pinned on, and I was still a teenager. Secondly, having the FAA examiner say "Congragulations Mr. Stephens, you passed, you're now a licensed Aircraft Dispatcher!"

I would say getting married and having two wonderful children but I was but a bit player in both those events!  wink 
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, and a road that goes forever, I'm going to Texas!

futureualpilot

Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:09 am

In my short 19yrs...

Flying solo before I could drive, and then earning my pilot's license before I graduated high school

Getting accepted to my first choice of colleges

Not getting involved in drugs and drinking like so many of my friends

Maintaining a close relationship with my entire family

I'm sure there will be more in the future.
Life is better when you surf.

dl021

Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:24 am

My greatest accomplishments in life.....

I honestly don't think I've done anything that I would call great in any historical sense, but I'm very proud of the following
1. In the army I did my job when it counted and the shit was flying. When Staff Sergeant Williams (who never, ever lied or embellished anything...wierd that way) met my father and told him that I really knew my job and was important to my unit. My father died a year or so later, but he heard that from a guy who would have said the opposite if he felt it was true. I was promoted and did interesting stuff after that, but that sticks out. It was happenstance that the two met, and Steve told me later that he meant every word and he trusted me when it counted....regardless of whether I made my own bunk or had the shiniest boots (which I did not). Steve later went to SF and I met him again in HALO school....as far as I know he is still in and a CSM.

2. Rescuing my 10th grade history teacher from a total collapse of his carefully orchestrated tenure classroom review, as he had assigned specific tasks to several students so that all the different teaching tools would be used in this one class (when he was primarily a lecture teacher) and my assignment was to keep my mouth shut and not say a word (I was something of a smart ass, but I agreed because I liked the guy). When every one of the students failed to show with their assignments and the principal was seated in the class Murph looked stricken for a moment, but turned to me and asked me to stand and deliver a little talk and answer questions (with zero notice...as my assignment was to stay invisible) after the short film on the second revolution of the US (the creation and ratification of the Constitution) and I did well enough that the Principal of the school left after I sat down complimenting Murphy on his work and the productivity of his students.........and when the door shut Murphy told me I had passed his class no matter what happened from that point on....

I still feel proud of being there for him, as it was the first time someone had ever asked me to step up and perform when it really meant something and they needed things to go very well. It was my first real taste of real world responsibility for something that affected someone else.

3. Graduating Airborne School when I was 18 and had always been the athletic trainer/newspaper editor type. Many said I'd never make it, and when I did...and went further... I learned that there was little I could not do when I set forth and did not quit.

4. Starting my own businesses from the time I was 10 years old to now....from the lawnmowing enterprise (I learned to hire other kids to cut the grass and I sold and collected) to the summertime bar business which made money, to the point where I was 23 and the youngest franchisee in the system. It set me up, education wise and people wise, for what I do now...as a matter of fact my business partner now was our lawyer then. So much of my life now is there because of what happened then, including this latest venture upon which I'm embarking.

Here's some kudos....

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 1):
Being Promoted to Command Sergeant Major in the U.S. Army on my 36th Birthday.

For those of you who don't know....that's fairly damned young and very impressive....
Don't get the bighead there Pep.

Quoting KyleLosAngeles (Reply 4):
switched majors three times during college and still got my Masters by age 22.

Impressive...hope you are maxing that out....

Quoting Matt27 (Reply 5):
I don't really know, but having done military service and being promoted to sergeant is one thing.

Very meritorious. We NCOs are the ones that run things....

Quoting Matt27 (Reply 5):
I have graduated as a paramedic.

Good luck with this... your life seems centered on service and your community needs people like you.

Quoting TNboy (Reply 6):
still being loved by my wife (and vice versa) after a lot of years is one;

Pretty good...... I hope I can say that when I've been with mine that long.

Quoting September11 (Reply 8):
Bowling seven career 300 games (300, that is all 12 strikes in one game) was my greatest accomplishment

Damn....that's pretty good......

Quoting Mir (Reply 10):

And managing not to screw it up.

Hooah! Not screwing it up was the really hard part....

Quoting SlamClick (Reply 12):
Getting thanked by my adult children for the way I raised them.

I'm glad I was able to thank my Dad before he died, and my Maman hears it all the time.

Convincing a fine woman to stick with me for 34 years when she could have done better.

Good on you for finding a blind and deaf lady....  Wink Kidding...well done.

The only thing that shames me is those times when I failed to step up and do what was needed or what was right

I have some of those regrets as well, and they push me to be better....

Quoting RJpieces (Reply 13):
Wouldn't singing for the Chancellor of Germany in front of the United States Ambassador and other officials, not having had a rehearsal, be a greater accomplishment?

Ummm...yeah, that's pretty strong too.....
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

AC_A340

Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:15 am

Graduating from University Summa Cum Laude, and obtaining my MEI.

Nordair

Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:00 am

Refraining from murdering the endless number of fools I have had to endure during my lifetime.
"It is never legitimate to use the words of scripture to promote a loveless agenda." - Right Rev. Dr. Peter Short

jafa39

Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:40 am

1: Being the first person in my family to get a Degree (Youth & Community Work) being the oldest person on the course (41 when it finished) made me feel good too!

2: Coming top of the class on my Mountain Leadership assessment.

3: Renovating a run down house and tripling its value which funded the NZ move.

Not (so far) killing my father-in-law in cold blood...... Wink
We, the undersigned, do hereby consent.....

Pe@rson

Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:52 am

Having posted 9,851 posts on A.net.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

Pe@rson

Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:53 am

Having posted 9,852 posts on A.net.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

VSlover

Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:20 am

it is yet to come...

777DadandJr

Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:21 am

My greatest accomplishment?

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y108/777DadandJr/YorkFair2004005.jpg

Jr! Big grin

Russ
My glass is neither 1/2 empty nor 1/2 full, rather, the glass itself is twice as big as it should be.

Shawn Patrick

Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:29 am

Mine would probably be getting an appointment to the Air Force Academy. I worked my butt off for 4 years in high school to get it. Kind of a selfish accomplishment... I wish I could say I have changed someone's life. But hopefully I will realize my capacity to do that. That will be a bigger accomplishment.

What about yours, Diamond?

EA CO AS

Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:57 am

So far:

• Learning to fly a plane

• Losing over 60lbs and getting back in shape

• Owning nearly $1 million worth of real estate

• Convincing a wonderful, beautiful girl to be my wife
  •  bigthumbsup 
    "In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

EA CO AS

Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:59 am

What Is/was Your Greatest Accomplishment?

Convincing the world that I don't exist.

Signed,
    B744F
    "In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

aerobalance

Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:04 am

Waking up in the morning.
    "Sing a song, play guitar, make it snappy..."

ShyFlyer

Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:06 am

Currently, I'd have to say getting my Private Pilot certificate. There were some points I thought I wouldn't make it, but I did, thanks to a little devine intervention.

I have a few other accomplishements lined up for 2006.
    I lift things up and put them down.

theCoz

Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:17 am

Quoting NHGrafx (Reply 15):
    And yes I know graphic design and sociology is a rather odd combination, but I love sociology.

You know, that kind of combination can be useful. I began college majoring in psychology, but ended up getting a double major in software engineering and multimedia. I've used the things I know about psychology to make the advertisements I design and the programs I develop more effective. It's a good thing to know.

I guess my biggest accomplishment is winning the Congressional Art Award in highschool. I spent three months on a single drawing, entered, and won! spin 

MD-90

Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:22 pm

The most fun accomplishment was being selected in the National Intercollegiate Band in 2003 and 2005, and thusly representing Theta Theta at UAB (our little brother chapter) as a delegate in '03, and Epsilon at Mississippi State as our delegate for '05 at the KKY/TBS National Convention.

garnetpalmetto

Wed Jan 04, 2006 2:01 pm

My greatest accomplishment? As stupid as it may seem, being the first member of my family to get a Bachelor's degree.
    South Carolina - too small to be its own country, too big to be a mental asylum.

ANCFlyer

Wed Jan 04, 2006 2:13 pm

Quoting Garnetpalmetto (Reply 35):
    As stupid as it may seem, being the first member of my family to get a Bachelor's degree.

Not stupid at all . . . this is YOUR accomplishment . . . . to blazes what everyone else thinks. Kudos to you!

Quoting MD-90 (Reply 34):
    selected in the National Intercollegiate Band in 2003 and 2005

bigthumbsup  Very cool.

Quoting TheCoz (Reply 33):
    I guess my biggest accomplishment is winning the Congressional Art Award in highschool. I spent three months on a single drawing, entered, and won!

Now, if you could just spend three months developing your A-Net posting skills . . . . . wink 

Quoting ShyFlyer (Reply 32):
    There were some points I thought I wouldn't make it, but I did, thanks to a little devine intervention.

The power of positive thinking . . it's a wunnerful thing!

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 29):
    Owning nearly $1 million worth of real estate

Convincing a wonderful, beautiful girl to be my wife

Difficult - each of them - but worth it in the long run . . . each of them!  thumbsup 

Quoting Shawn Patrick (Reply 28):
    Mine would probably be getting an appointment to the Air Force Academy.

Salute!

Quoting 777DadandJr (Reply 27):

Cute son, big blasted loader!

Quoting Jafa39 (Reply 23):
    Not (so far) killing my father-in-law in cold blood......

There is something to be said for that - I can empathize in a big way.

Quoting AC_A340 (Reply 21):
    Graduating from University Summa Cum Laude

Can't bet that can you!

Quoting DL021 (Reply 20):
    4. Starting my own businesses from the time I was 10 years old to now....from the lawnmowing enterprise (I learned to hire other kids to cut the grass and I sold and collected) to the summertime bar business which made money, to the point where I was 23 and the youngest franchisee in the system. It set me up, education wise and people wise, for what I do now...as a matter of fact my business partner now was our lawyer then. So much of my life now is there because of what happened then, including this latest venture upon which I'm embarking.

You're a stud Ian . . . face it . . . oh, and the type A personality does benefit one doesn't it.  thumbsup  biggrin 

Quoting Futureualpilot (Reply 19):
    Not getting involved in drugs and drinking like so many of my friends

And this speaks volumes in today's society. Congratulations!

Quoting Gilligan (Reply 18):
    The day my Ranger Tab was pinned on, and I was still a teenager

RANGER . . . .are you RA=Regular Army? NG=National Guard? ER=Enlisted Reserve?  wink  Kidding of course. Damn tough thing to do. You Airborne and Special Forces guys (DL021) make us Tankers look like light weights . . . we still outgun your assess though  bigthumbsup 

Quoting Searpqx (Reply 17):
    Got a wonderful partner, home and a career, and now I'm doing my best to help others who are facing what I went through.

Giving back, and being able to say "Yes, I know how you feel" and mean it, is a big deal. GOod for you!
    FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

theCoz

Wed Jan 04, 2006 2:18 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 36):
    Now, if you could just spend three months developing your A-Net posting skills . . . . .

LOL, we all know that'll never happen. Big grin

upstatedave

Wed Jan 04, 2006 2:24 pm

My greatest accomplishment would probably be helping my school recieve a 3 year $5,000/year grant to start a senior citizen's home safety program. Then getting that program off the ground with the thought being that we could help prevent these seniors from having to enter a nursing home because they had safety hazards in their home that caused them to injure themselvs.

[Edited 2006-01-04 06:43:10]
    "Once you fly, you will walk with your eyes skyward. For there you will go again." Leonardo da Vinci

LOT767-300ER

Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:44 pm

Driving by a field of sheep without stopping...

Signed,
    GKirk

airxliban

Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:14 pm

Might I just ask what is so great about having impregnating one's wife?

The miracle of creating another human being and giving birth to a child is something which is done by God. I mean I realise full well that the miracle of creation is...well just that - a miracle...and a process which human beings cannot replicate themselves, but the only human act in that involves...well...I'm sure we all know the mechanics of it.

As far as my greatest accomplishment, I really don't know. Nothing I have done is particularly spectacular. I guess one thing that was pretty cool was that I got to drive a 1966 London Taxi in Geneva. That was sooo amazing. I was only 15...my (then future) brother-in-law rented the London Taxi from a guy in Geneva for my sister's and his wedding, for it to be the wedding car and he let me drive it!

Steering wheel about the size of the moon, right hand drive, 4 speed manual transmission, diesel engine...it was absolutely stunning!!!
    PARIS, FRANCE...THE BEIRUT OF EUROPE.

jafa39

Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:19 pm

Quoting AirxLiban (Reply 40):

The accomplishment is persuading a woman to have sex with an a.netter in the first place!!  Wink
    We, the undersigned, do hereby consent.....

searpqx

Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:26 pm

giving birth to a child is something which is done by God

I can think of several billion women who had up close and personal experiance giving birth, they might argue w/ you just a tad. While impregnating a woman may be a fairly straight forward mechanical process, making the decision, bearing the child, and raising them, especially in this day and age, is indeed a significant accomplishment.
    "The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity"

airxliban

Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:35 pm

Ok...perhaps I should restate it. The process by which the sperm of an a.nutter unites with the egg of some woman who that a.nutter has managed to get into bed with is not a process which can be replicated by any human known techniques and is just the miracle of creation, or whatever. That process is something major and I think it could be called a major accomplishmeht.

Having sex on the other hand - well I'm sure most of us have accomplished things more worthy than getting an erection and etc etc.
    PARIS, FRANCE...THE BEIRUT OF EUROPE.

lentigomaligna

Wed Jan 04, 2006 6:25 pm

Mine shouldn't have had to be such a big accomplishment. For me it was graduating from high school on time with a full IB diploma after being given a 50-50 chance of survival after having gone septic following a misdiagnosed case of a perf'ed appendix (you'd think successively skyrocketing WBC counts would have been a clue) requiring surgeries and 9 weeks in the hospital, and 2 more at home recovering. Anyway...AP/IB tests were just after I was released and then I had to make up nearly a half a school year worth of classwork in a couple of weeks...3 hours of sleep a night = not fun.

EA CO AS

Wed Jan 04, 2006 6:25 pm

Ask someone who is sterile and unable to do so and I'm sure they'll tell you.

diamond

Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:30 pm

Quoting AirxLiban (Reply 43):
    Ok...perhaps I should restate it. The process by which the sperm of an a.nutter unites with the egg of some woman who that a.nutter has managed to get into bed with is not a process which can be replicated by any human known techniques and is just the miracle of creation, or whatever. That process is something major and I think it could be called a major accomplishment.

You keep referring to it as a biological "process", like breathing or sweating. It's not always an accidental byproduct of sex. It is often something that couples plan for, for many years.

I have a feeling that these people who consider their children to be their finest accomplishments are not talking about the simple act of conception. They are talking about bringing a life into the world, instantly falling in love with that child and committing to care for it and love it until they die.

In my view, it seems like a very worthy accomplishment.
    Blank.

Aleksandar

Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:49 pm

OK, I must be honest to myself. There isn't much that deserves some attention. I still consider myself as an unaccomplished person, but if there were few things I'm proud of, it is probably:
    1. writing few airline articles
    2. meeting great people on this website
    2. losing 30kg at the age of 18 and never regaining them again Big grin
    3. being brave enough to stand up against one dictator in my country even when it meant jeopardizing a lot
    4. never being quiet when faced with injustice

Looking at this list, I strongly believe it's just too little for 32 years.
    R-E-S-P-E-C-T

ANCFlyer

Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:54 pm

Quoting Aleksandar (Reply 47):

3. being brave enough to stand up against one dictator in my country even when it meant jeopardizing a lot

I quite disagree - I think this is quite an accomplishment . . . one that not too many people anywhere can say "I did that". Don't discount this too quickly.  thumbsup 

TNboy

Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:43 pm

4. never being quiet when faced with injustice

Alex, don't forget that you have done these things and emerged as a really nice, unsassuming guy, who is still fighting against obstacles which are not of your making.
    Sometimes it is quite an achievement to just be who we are, even if sometimes we don't realise it until somebody reminds us.

Wink Bill
    "...every aircraft is subtly different.."