VSlover

Annoyed By All The People At The Gym

Sat Jan 07, 2006 10:02 am

its 6pm and i am hesitant to leave my office and head to the gym. last night i didnt get to the gym until 730 or 745pm and the place was PACKED with all those jerks who have made a new years resolution to get fit.

seriously, i cant wait another week or two for a majority of them to just give up so i can have my preferred machines open once more when i show up.

ConcordeBoy

RE: Annoyed By All The People At The Gym

Sat Jan 07, 2006 10:08 am

...so you'd rather whine about it to deaf ears who couldn't possibly care less?

Grow up-- if it's that bad, then alter your hours.

"Don't have time" you say? Nah, more like 'dont have the conviction'.
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

AeroWesty

Sat Jan 07, 2006 10:11 am

Quoting ConcordeBoy (Reply 1):
who couldn't possibly care less?

I care. He has to look fabulous when he finally meets up with STL. I've been promised pix.  Wink
International Homo of Mystery

noelg

Sat Jan 07, 2006 10:13 am

I can't understand some people's obsession with the gym. Everybody at work spends 8 hours working their butt off at work before going in their free time to work their butt off running on a conveyor belt!

We tried it for 6 months until we realised it was getting us nowhere, and even our doctor said the gym is a waste of time. "The best way to lose weight and get fit" said the doctor "is to eat less food, and exercise as part of your daily routine". Walking more, climbing stairs, leaving the car at home, gardening, all do more for you than an hour at the gym if you're doing them regularly.

That way you're not paying hundreds of pounds a year either. Boy do those gyms rake in the money - think how much they suck out of people all on the premise of "you'll get fit and lose weight"......

It's even funnier when you see the gym car parks absolutely full of cars. Has anyone ever told these suckers if they'd have walked to the gym they could probably have burned as many calories before they even got there!  crazy 

Go to gyms if you will, but it's just not for me  Smile

iflyatldl

Sat Jan 07, 2006 10:14 am

Ah, just when the virgin Gym Bunnies start to hoppin'  Wink For a week or so...
Ah, Summer, Fenway Park, Boston Red Sox and Beer.....

usnseallt82

Sat Jan 07, 2006 10:20 am

Quoting VSLover (Thread starter):
last night i didnt get to the gym until 730 or 745pm and the place was PACKED with all those jerks who have made a new years resolution to get fit.

Happens every year. Give it a week or two and they'll be gone. Meanwhile, Gold's just cashed in the year's net worth in one weekend.

I had to alter my hours as well. I usually go late at night now or early in the morning. NEVER go between the hours of 5pm-9pm. That's the worst time.
Crye me a river

VSlover

Sat Jan 07, 2006 10:24 am

Quoting ConcordeBoy (Reply 1):
"Don't have time" you say? Nah, more like 'dont have the conviction'.

dont believe i said anything about "not having time" though i dont, i've been making time.

altering my hours is not an option. the asshats at the gym just need to throw their arms up in the air and give up already.

this of course is all aside from the point that i may be speaking to those who dont care, yet those same persons have the time and are willing to respond.

Cadet57

Sat Jan 07, 2006 10:27 am

Quoting Iflyatldl (Reply 4):
Ah, just when the virgin Gym Bunnies start to hoppin' For a week or so...

If we are on the same mindset, why do you think I go when my HS's cheerleaders do....  Smile
Doors open, right hand side, next stop is Springfield.

usnseallt82

Sat Jan 07, 2006 10:32 am

Quoting VSLover (Reply 6):
the asshats at the gym just need to throw their arms up in the air and give up already.

I hate em' too. Especially the ones who just sit and talk, clogging every weight with their fat asses.
Crye me a river

iflyatldl

Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:05 am

Oh, I'm there. I just roll out of bed an hour earlier and it's not that bad. And things will get back to normal this time next week.  Wink

Nancy

Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:25 am

I was playing "spot the new year's resolution" yesterday. I love it when people plop themselves down in the weight circuit on the machine right in front of me and proceed to do 12 set of leg press with 5lbs of weight.

iflyatldl

Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:40 am

Actually, for me, it's been a win-win because I'm getting more out of my work out, I see friends I haven't seen in months and I've got time to go get coffee and a muffin and feel great when I get to the office.

prosa

Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:53 am

Just the other day, I was in the middle of a heavy set of barbell rows when some idiot woman interrupted me to ask if I was using a nearby yoga mat. The mat in question was against a wall at least ten feet away, with a couple of small plates lying on top of it; in other words, it was plainly obvious that I wasn't using the danged thing. Not to mention the fact that interrupting someone in the middle of a heavy set is a very bad idea regardless of the circumstances.
And then there are morons who curl in the squat rack, as you'll see in my sig file.
"Let me think about it" = the coward's way of saying "no"

Newark777

Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:57 am

I'm looking forward to next week, when I go back to school and use the university gym, where it's usually dead when I go (around dinner time). And I would say it's free, until I look at that college bill.  Wink

Harry
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

HAWK21M

Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:07 pm

Use the late hrs when its Less crowded.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

stlgph

Sat Jan 07, 2006 8:14 pm

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 2):

I care. He has to look fabulous when he finally meets up with STL. I've been promised pix. Wink

that is true. meanwhile, i, on the other hand, have never spent a day at the gym in my life. that's my beauty secret.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

EA CO AS

Sat Jan 07, 2006 8:16 pm

From what I'm told, this time of year is the best time to buy home gym equipment, if that's what you'd like instead. Stores are practically GIVING the stuff away to compete with all the gyms and fitness clubs enrolling people after the first of the year.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

Pe@rson

Sat Jan 07, 2006 8:29 pm

Quoting Noelg (Reply 3):
running on a conveyor belt!

LOL.  Big grin

Quoting Noelg (Reply 3):
"The best way to lose weight and get fit" said the doctor "is to eat less food, and exercise as part of your daily routine". Walking more, climbing stairs, leaving the car at home, gardening, all do more for you than an hour at the gym if you're doing them regularly.

:yes:
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

eaglekeeper101

Sat Jan 07, 2006 8:34 pm

I count myself fortunate that in my squadron building break area, there are free weights, benches, and some treadmills. Only 15 steps from my office, and it saves me the insanity of going to our base gym - not that I cannot find a good machine to work on during peak hours, but that there is virtually no parking just to get into the damn place. Takes longer to find a space than the workout would take.
"The earth is but one country, and mankind its citizens." - Bahá'u'lláh

cathay747

Sat Jan 07, 2006 8:43 pm

the place was PACKED with all those jerks who have made a new years resolution to get fit

You know, instead of bitching about this, try looking at it from the perspective of: at least those people are TRYING, vs. going to McDonalds for another Big Mac and sitting on their asses in front of the TV with it.

And as for complaints about morons, etc., remember that everyone was a beginner at one point, and is not familiar with the "etiquette". It's "gym nazi" comments like this that intimidate people who would LIKE to get in shape, but are afraid of being or looking like idiots, and thus don't go and do it.

Lighten up, people!
Try a Little VC-10derness

jamesbuk

Sat Jan 07, 2006 9:01 pm

Ok my parents own a gym so here are some tips

• January-march are the worst times to go because everyone keeps going till round that time till they get caught up in other things
  • 7-closing hour is the worst time to go because every one goes in at these times, try going in at 4-7 or if your gym opens early at 730 like ours go in then its basically emty.
  • most people will use cardiovascular equipment ie as name the conveyer belt and static bikes etc so try altering your plan to do other things you wouldnt necisarily do ie a bit of bench pressing etc.
  • if the machine you want to use next is being used just stand close ask the person how much longer they'll be and just wait round doing a few stretches if you want why not take a few dumbells over ( remember to take them back after).

thats all i can think of now and just because there are some annoying people dont give up
You cant have your cake and eat it... What the hells the point in having it then!!!

GLAGAZ

Sat Jan 07, 2006 9:18 pm

I had the same problem the other day. Gym was packed with new faces. You do get a good laugh though:

A) When they don't do any stretching before hand
B) When they stick 5kg on the bar and think they are really good at bench pressing.
C) When they go on the rowing machine and nearly break their spine with every tug.
D) When they do press-ups or sit-ups. YOU PAY FOR THE GYM TO USE WEIGHTS AND MACHINES!! YOU CAN DO THOSE THINGS IN YOUR HOUSE !!!
E) ....

Who I could go on....but atleast they will only be there for another week, maybe 2 if they struggle.

Gaz
Neutrality means that u don't really care cos the struggle goes on even when ur not there, blind and unaware

yowza

Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:18 pm

I work out quite often as I enjoy it and it help when I play rugby in the summer. Year after year it really pisses me off when the newly resolved come to the gym and hog the equipment. Typically this only lasts 2 weeks then back to normal congestion levels.

You can easily spot the newly resolved as follows:
-immaculate matching gear (sometimes still with price tags attached, I shit you not)
-brand new indoor running shoes
-arm strap + mp3 player
- not a clue what they're doing. I saw a guy on an ab-girdle do 10 sets of 3 reps. This is basically going to have as positive an impact on your abs as a deep yawn every 15 minutes - idiot
- they feel the need to chat with other about their routine and end up doimg more chatting than working out.

YOWza

GLAGAZ

Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:21 pm

Quoting GLAGAZ (Reply 21):
Who

*whoa  Smile

Gaz
Neutrality means that u don't really care cos the struggle goes on even when ur not there, blind and unaware

TACAA320

Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:46 pm

Quoting Usnseallt82 (Reply 8):
I hate em' too.

Hate or envy?
'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind'. Albert Einstein

prosa

Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:34 am

Quoting Jamesbuk (Reply 20):
January-march are the worst times to go because everyone keeps going till round that time till they get caught up in other things

You also get another burst of newcomers in May and early June, consisting of people who want to look good for the beach in summer.

Newark777

Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:44 am

Quoting Jamesbuk (Reply 20):
most people will use cardiovascular equipment ie as name the conveyer belt and static bikes etc so try altering your plan to do other things you wouldnt necisarily do ie a bit of bench pressing etc.

That's why I never use the treadmills at the gym, only weights. Why run in a stuffy gym with a bunch of people running in place around you, when you can run outside, where it's much less boring, peaceful, and to top it off, full of hills on my campus.  Wink

Harry
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

usnseallt82

Sun Jan 08, 2006 1:10 am

Quoting TACAA320 (Reply 24):
Hate or envy?

Envy laziness? Ha.
Crye me a river

aa61hvy

Sun Jan 08, 2006 1:16 am

I understand what your saying VSLover. It happens every year.

I used to work out here at my school but 6 months ago, I started going off campus which is a lot better.

Here are the 'cycles' I noticed for people here.

August: People think since they just got into college they will start lifting weights
Post-Thanksgiving: They realized they gained weight since school started and want to lose it.
January: New Years resolution
Mid-Feb: Spring Breakers-these guys want to look good in a bathing suit-expect to see them only do chest and bicep lifts
April-the 'Daytona' people-my school has a yearly trip to Daytona for the students and people want to attempt to look good in a bathing suit.

These cycles typically only last two weeks though. I couldn't handle the people at the gym here on campus so I went off campus...Best decision I could make.
Go big or go home

Shawn Patrick

Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:02 am

I think the whole point of this thread is for VSlover to creatively (?) drop the fact that he's working out now. I'm sure someone cares though.....

MiCorazonAzul

Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:22 am

i cant wait another week or two for a majority of them to just give up

Quoting VSLover (Reply 6):
the asshats at the gym just need to throw their arms up in the air and give up already.

Very unfair comments. Those "asshats" have equal amount of right to be there as you do. They just get there earlier than you do. Besides, just like YOU are giving a shot at working out, they are doing the exact same thing. It is a PUBLIC GYM afterall.......

so i can have my preferred machines open once more when i show up.

Ever considered going to another gym? Or perhaps trying to find a DIFFERENT time to go?

Perhaps a personal trainer that could work with you at odd times of the day might work? Certainly works for me.......  bigthumbsup 
Live for Today.....tomorrow is NOT guaranteed.

TACAA320

Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:38 am

Quoting MiCorazonAzul (Reply 30):
Very unfair comments. Those "asshats" have equal amount of right to be there as you do.

They are supposed to pay the fees. Ergo, you're right.
'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind'. Albert Einstein

VSlover

Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:42 am

Quoting MiCorazonAzul (Reply 30):
Perhaps a personal trainer that could work with you at odd times of the day might work? Certainly works for me

well yes. i have a personal trainer that i see three times a week, but the days between i'm on my own for cardio. it is a private gym, not public...so it makes it more amusing to see all these people that pay good money each month who are just going to end up throwing money away like the woman next door to my office who pays the $90/month and has gone twice in the past two months.

Quoting AA61Hvy (Reply 28):
I used to work out here at my school but 6 months ago, I started going off campus which is a lot better.

funny you said this--in college i noticed at the start of each new quarter there were always tons of people early in the morning jogging around campus...and you knew it was all because it was a new quarter--people trying to get in a new routine. but classes start and you can tell people value sleep much more than a jog!

Quoting CATHAY747 (Reply 19):
You know, instead of bitching about this, try looking at it from the perspective of: at least those people are TRYING, vs. going to McDonalds for another Big Mac and sitting on their asses in front of the TV with it.

why? their actions do not directly benefit me--if anything their actions directly affect me in a negative way.

amhilde

Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:01 am

AA61Hvy- Im on a university campus as well and can agree with you on those observations. Right now its pretty nice since everyone is away, but in two weeks its gonna be packed. I like to go about 1 in the afternoon most times when I do the gym because I like to watch MauPau (Maury Pauvich) when Im on the treadmill or the elliptical thingy, and its far less busy/stuffy than later in the day. I do need to get back into lifting weights, but that will probably be done in the mornings because I hate having to compete with retarded boys- and I feel self concious.

Sure, running outside is preferable, but when its cold, rainy/snowy/slushy and windy, the last thing you want to do is be running outside, at least here. I went for several long runs last year about this time and they were utterly miserable experiences- you dont know wind until you finally run to the top of Keystone Canyon here and it hits you at 35 mph+ and you still have 6 miles back to your car. THAT sucks!

Frankly I like to swim best, but I use the treadmills and ellipticals as well to help build up my running capabilities since I hate to run (well, the first three miles at least) and this way its easier on me and my body to get me jump started back into running.
Hang on tightly, Let go lightly

prosa

Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:06 am

Quoting CATHAY747 (Reply 19):
And as for complaints about morons, etc., remember that everyone was a beginner at one point, and is not familiar with the "etiquette". It's "gym nazi" comments like this that intimidate people who would LIKE to get in shape, but are afraid of being or looking like idiots, and thus don't go and do it.

Maybe so, but on the other hand anyone, gym newcomer or otherwise, should know that you don't interrupt a person in the middle of a heavy set without very good reason.

waterpolodan

Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:20 am

On the flip side of most of these complaints, how annoying are the guys that take the working out thing way too seriously? I work at my university's gym and twice a week I'd sit in the weight room cleaning up after people and helping newcomers figure out how to use a leg press machine without killing themselves. Honestly, the most annoying people there were the 'roided out frat boys who carry around their protein shakes and take sips in between sets. They are almost always staring at whatever attractive girl happens to be in the WR that day, so much so that I've often had complaints and had to tell them to be more discreet, they tend to hog the better machines as if they own them, and in general they just seem angry/intense when I like to think of working out as a time to relax and have some fun. That's just my experience.

cathay747

Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:44 pm

Quoting VSLover (Reply 32):
why? their actions do not directly benefit me--if anything their actions directly affect me in a negative way.

Could you be any more selfish? You'll find sympathy in the dictionary after shit & suicide. This is akin to complaining about how many people are ahead of you in a check-in queue for a flight..."why do all these people have to be flying when I am?" And excuse me, but those people who annoy you at the gym DO directly benefit you...they are paying fees which keeps your gym open for business.

Quoting PROSA (Reply 34):
Maybe so, but on the other hand anyone, gym newcomer or otherwise, should know that you don't interrupt a person in the middle of a heavy set without very good reason.

OK, yes, point taken; even I would know that, and I'm not a gym-user.
Try a Little VC-10derness

leigh pilgrim

Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:30 pm

its 6pm and i am hesitant to leave my office and head to the gym. last night i didnt get to the gym until 730 or 745pm and the place was PACKED with all those jerks who have made a new years resolution to get fit.

He he, would'nt worry mate, wont last long, give it a month, and things will be back to normal!

Matt D

Mon Jan 09, 2006 5:17 am

Sounds to me like the original poster is spoiled selfish bastard who doesn't at all get the bigger picture. Let me just reiterate all of the very valid points made by other users:

1. EVERYONE (including our self centered post starter) had to start somewhere. Lighten up, at least they're trying.

2. Reverse proportions. Like the 5% of passengers at the front of an airplane essentially subsidize the other 95% who sit in the back, 80% of the first-of-the-year folks you see at the gym basically subsidize the 20% that are there for the long run. If it wasn't for them, there would BE no gym.

3. It is a public gym and not his. If he wants to have a full service gym where he has unhindred access to all the equipment to himself at his convenience, let HIM fork over fifty grand for all the equipment.
Otherwise, he needs to shut the F*** up and realize that, as stated, everyone else has the same right-no more-and not one bit less right to be there as he does.

4. If it's that bad, then it's up to HIM to change HIS hours, and not for everyone else to conform to him. See also above #3.

5. Yes, a good percentage of these "newbies" will drop out of the picture by Valentines Day. Until then, live with it.

6. What if he really got his wish? What if everyone suddenly stopped going to the gym and back to the couch watching TV and "his" gym subsequently went out of business? Anyone else doubt that our very same crybaby would be the first one up in arms about living in a nation of fatties and how "people need to join the gym more"! See also above #3.

So all of that said, I belong to 24 Hour Fitness Sport. I go about 2-3 days a week. I am lucky enough to be able to go in the mornings before work (is on my way, and I don't start until 0900). I occasionally go in the evenings, and yes, between 5 and 9, it IS packed. Either wait your turn, or go at another time. Or open your own gym. See above #3.

Plus, going to the gym is only one piece of the puzzle. While it certainly has its benefits, it's not a cure all. Equally-and perhaps even more important is diet. I've eliminated about 90% of fats and sugar from my diet. I've lost nearly 20 pounds in the last 6 months. I've taken up bike riding, and ride a couple days a week-usually to/from work....which is about 14 miles round trip. I went for a 15 mile ride yesterday and rode again to/from the gym this morning. I feel great, and eating a hell of a lot better. But also, I need to have realistic expectations. I'm not going to see immediate results. These things take time. I know what my potential to look like is, based on my body type and family background. No matter how hard I try, I will never look like one of those body builders you see in the fitness ads with the 20 inch waistline and the 75" shoulder circumference of solid muscle. I just won't. I just don't have that kind of potential. Besides, to get a look like that, you not only need the body type, but that's something you start when you are like 10 years old. I'm already in my early 30's. It ain't gonna happen.

But I am toning up to the point to where I WILL at least look "good" and be in good shape. And that's what I'm going for. Those that want to strive to be in better health, more power to them. But I sure as hell am not going to knock anyone for at least trying.

VSlover

Mon Jan 09, 2006 5:31 am

Quoting CATHAY747 (Reply 36):
Could you be any more selfish? You'll find sympathy in the dictionary after shit & suicide. This is akin to complaining about how many people are ahead of you in a check-in queue for a flight..."why do all these people have to be flying when I am?"

yes, i could be actually. besides, i wouldnt know about the flight check-in problem...there is rarely a line in the business or first check in lines.

regardless, it is my right to complain freely as i choose, and to suggest i actually give a damn what a bunch of people who dont know me that are posting about me on an internets message board is, well to say the least--not keeping me awake at night.

and MattD--i do live with it, but like i said--its my right to bitch and moan about it as a dues paying memeber of a private gym. btw, good job/congrats on your weight loss.

Matt D

Mon Jan 09, 2006 5:35 am

Yeah but that's a two way street bro. Are you trying to tell me that all of those other dues paying members don't have a right to bitch about YOU?

VSlover

Mon Jan 09, 2006 5:42 am

Quoting Matt D (Reply 40):
Yeah but that's a two way street bro. Are you trying to tell me that all of those other dues paying members don't have a right to bitch about YOU?

of course they do and to deny that they dont bitch, well thats just silly. i just chose to bitch about it now and here. thats all.

Matt D

Mon Jan 09, 2006 5:43 am

Fine. Point taken. Now are you complaining because you have a legitimate grievance, or are you just bitching because you have an axe to grind and nothing better to do?

VSlover

Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:15 am

Quoting Matt D (Reply 42):
and nothing better to do?

pretty much.

kiwiinoz

Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:53 am

Gym?

What's a gym???