9VSPO
Topic Author

Spitting In Public: Do You?

Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:44 am

Footballers have been urged to stop spitting because it makes a revolting habit look macho. Keep Britain Tidy says youngsters are copying their heroes and covering the streets in saliva. Chief executive Alan Woods said: "Spitting remains the ultimate insult, a contemptuous gesture drowning in hate.

The charity polled nearly 300 soccer fans from 19 clubs around England.

It found they were overwhelmingly upset by the incident in which Bolton striker El Hadji Diouf spat at Portsmouth's Arjan de Zeeuw. Asked to say what was the grossest thing they had seen at football, 75% of the fans opted for the 2004 spitting incident.

So do you spit in public?

cosec59

RE: Spitting In Public: Do You?

Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:45 am

Quoting 9VSPO (Thread starter):
Spitting

Doris don't spit  mischievous 
Rules are for the obedience of fools but for the guidance of wise men

ME AVN FAN

Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:50 am

Simply NO. It is disgusting behaviour, and even a hygienic problem.

CHRISBA777ER

Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:02 am

No its disgusting.

Some Italian spat at me in Ibiza after I peeled him off Laura, one of my mates. Gobbed right in my boatrace. I nearly tore his f*cking head off.
What do you mean you dont have any bourbon? Do you know how far it is to Houston? What kind of airline is this???

yooyoo

Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:05 am

I do.

When i do it is for a purpose. I spit out phlegm and other "things" not wanted in my mouth. I make every attempt to do this in private, i'll even go to a seclude area when outdoors and spit. Sometimes it's just necessary.

It is not nice to see, so i don't want or let other see me do it.

As for footballers or athletes in general. Give me a break. These people are running their bodies to the ground. There is a build up of mucus and it needs to be "released".

Next thing footballers will be asked to stop perspiring..."eeewww mommy he's sweeting...make him stop"
I am so smart, i am so smart... S-M-R-T... i mean S-M-A-R-T

Birdwatching

Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:08 am

Big no-no. It's disgusting, and sometimes when somebody does it I say eeeeek or something, very loud. All heads turn, always tons of fun.
All the things you probably hate about travelling are warm reminders that I'm home

jamesbuk

Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:12 am

No, but i will if i have to.

--james--
You cant have your cake and eat it... What the hells the point in having it then!!!

ME AVN FAN

Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:15 am

Quoting YooYoo (Reply 4):
a seclude area

"secluded areas" are NOT "in public"

yooyoo

Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:27 am

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 7):
"secluded areas" are NOT "in public"

Says who?

I'm still in a public domain, just because i duck behind a column or garbage bin makes it so drastically different?....is it because i don't do it at their (the publics) feet?

I  spit  on your comment and the time and effort you took to type it to make such a petty reply.

scamp

Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:35 am

I've never quite understood the general practice of spitting. Ever since I moved to New York I observe it all the time. Yet, amazingly enough, I have gone practically my entire life without the need to expectorate on a public sidewalk...which seems to be done here for sheer entertainment value. Perhaps I am just unique...I'm certainly special.
If it pisses off the right, I'm all for it.

sunshine79

Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:39 am

Spitting is disgusting ans i don't do it in public or in private.
Formerly alcregular, Why drive when you can fly?

Daleaholic

Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:00 am

I used to, I used to think it was good but I realised it's just disgusting and now I only spit when necessary and I try to find a toilet to do it or I just keep it to myself.
Religion is an illusion of childhood... Outgrown under proper education.

TheSorcerer

Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:15 am

Quoting Jamesbuk (Reply 6):
No, but i will if i have to.

Me too. If i have phlem in my mouth i'm not gonna swallow it so i just spit it out. A bit of phlem going into a drain isn't going to do any damage. If anyone sees me doing this then ne luck it's not pleasant but it's not going to hurt anyone.
Dominic
ALITALIA,All Landings In Torino, All Luggage In Athens ;)

jafa39

Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:26 am

I don't do it, waste of fluids in the NZ summer heat!

The Chinese do it a great deal and when there was an influx of Chinese into AKL there had to be a bit of an education programme to stop it as a lot of Kiwi's go barefoot!!!

I must say, I have never seen an Asian person spit in the street in NZ.
We, the undersigned, do hereby consent.....

Matt72033

Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:51 am

Quoting CHRISBA777ER (Reply 3):
Some Italian spat at me in Ibiza

cant blame him!

A330Fan1

Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:58 am

He11 no

it's disgusting
why is it necessary??

9VSPO
Topic Author

Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:00 am

Quoting A330Fan1 (Reply 15):
it's disgusting
why is it necessary??

Quoting YooYoo (Reply 4):
As for footballers or athletes in general. Give me a break. These people are running their bodies to the ground. There is a build up of mucus and it needs to be "released".

ryangooner

Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:37 am

I personally dont like it, i have been spat on/at so many times ive lost count....!

I will even go as far as warning someone they could be liable for arrest if they continue spitting in front of me.

Why people do it for the sake of it i dont know.....

Ryan
ooh to ooh to be ooh to be a gooner!

MaverickM11

Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:10 am

Quoting 9VSPO (Thread starter):
So do you spit in public?

No, if you don't want to look like trash, don't act like it.
E pur si muove -Galileo

JAGflyer

Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:36 am

I admit I do spit out gum or candies in public. I really shouldn't spit out the gum because it gets stuck to people's shoes. I know what that feels like and it can be really annoying. I won't go into phlem discussions here.

One thing I cannot stand at all are people who HORK loudly in public. It is the grossest sound you can ever hear.
Support the beer and soda can industry, your recycle old airplanes!

ABfemme

Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:49 am

Quoting Sunshine79 (Reply 10):
Spitting is disgusting ans i don't do it in public or in private.

yup agree 100%

Filthy habit

Claire
Women do not have hot flushes, they have power surges

LFutia

Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:07 am

yes I do unfortunately although when I do spit, i wipe it with my foot.. uhh as for phlegm... wont go there.

I try not to do it when im around family, when im by myself or friends i just do it.

Leo
Leo/ORD -- Groetjes uit de VS! -- Heeft u laatst nog met KLM gevlogen?

Falcon84

Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:29 am

"Of course we do. It's a good way to relieve stress."

Signed,

Sean Taylor and Roberto Alomar
Work Right, Fly Hard

vaporlock

Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:54 pm

Well......as far as I'm concerned spitting is the worst, most disgusting thing that a person can do in public.....

Sorry, but I live in Toronto and as you probably know it is considered the most "multi-cultural" city in North America. Well, if you've ever taken public transportation in the city of Toronto, or walked down a street...you'll be guaranteed to see men, woman and children "horking & spitting" on sidewalks, at bus stops it is DAM DISGUSTING!!!!

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 22):
"Of course we do. It's a good way to relieve stress."

Good God, I hope you don't "scratch your balls" in public!!! LMAO

Phyllis  bouncy 

PS - Falcon - great to see you here again and I hope your feeling better!!!

HAWK21M

Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:01 pm

On the sports field if there is a reason to & the washroom is far away.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

Brendan03

Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:01 pm

I generally don't spit because of how disgusting it looks but if I get a snotter in my mouth I can't handle to swallow, I'll walk over to the nearest bin and spit into it... I try to be as discreet as I can but I don't spit on the footpaths infront of everyone

The best option if you can, Is spit into a tissue and wipe it across your mouth as if you're wiping your lips, then dispose of the tissue
Coolier than thou.

9VSPO
Topic Author

Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:40 pm

Quoting Vaporlock (Reply 23):
Good God, I hope you don't "scratch your balls" in public!!! LMAO

And what's wrong with that?!!  Silly

Toulouse

Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:42 pm

I CAN'T STAND IT! And when I go back to Ireland and see my teenage nephews spitting, especially when they're playing football matches, apart from giving them a good talking to, I feel like grabbing every bloody football player who spits and banging their heads together, stapling their lips together, and taking their insanely high salaries off them for a while.

I manage to go through life without spitting, so I honestly don't believe there is any excuse for spitting. If you have a cold, go to a public toilet and do it in a tissue as discretely as possible.

Ahhh... sorry, but spitting really gets on my nerves.
Long live Aer Lingus!

ME AVN FAN

Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:50 pm

Quoting YooYoo (Reply 8):
Says who?

says ME ! it is NOT nice if done discreetly either, but NOT as disturbing as if done openly in sight of other people. I mean if you hide behide some bushes you can behave just up to your taste, it does NOT disturb others. If you do the same in front of restaurant windows, it most certainly is different . Beside the point that most people DO spit out after teeth-cleaning --- so that everything depends on WHERE exactly it is done.
-

Brendan03

Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:53 pm

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 28):
Beside the point that most people DO spit out after teeth-cleaning

Well yes, That's because It's not healthy to swallow toothpaste, It's the same when it comes to snot, You'll only give yourself a stomach bug if you swallow some Mucus when you have a cold
Coolier than thou.

yooyoo

Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:16 pm

it is NOT nice if done discreetly either

Nice?...no it's not. I don't get pleasure from spitting. More relief really.

Maybe this is what the thread starter is trying find out. There are people out there that spit, just to spit. Yes, that's not nice....i would prefer the word, revolting, a wee bit stronger  Wink.

so that everything depends on WHERE exactly it is done.

And what i was saying was that i do it in public when necessary, but in a fashion where i do not disgust others. I don't consider my self in the same category of 16 year old guy, spitting out saliva and spewing out profanity while listening to loud music at a train (public) station.

LOL

I don't know where we are going with this. I'm going to get a coffee and look at some 747's.

Good day.

ClassicLover

Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:21 pm

Quoting Brendan03 (Reply 29):
Well yes, That's because It's not healthy to swallow toothpaste, It's the same when it comes to snot, You'll only give yourself a stomach bug if you swallow some Mucus when you have a cold

How on earth do you figure that? In 29 years of never spitting, I've never contracted a stomach bug of any kind from phlegm being swallowed.

It's perhaps the most disgusting habit in the world in my opinion. It grosses me out! Especially when you're sitting at a table on the footpath (sidewalk, whatever) at a cafe and someone walking by does it. Gross to the max.

No excuse for it whatsoever.

Trent.
I do quite enjoy a spot of flying - more so when it's not in Economy!

Pyrex

Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:25 pm

Quoting Toulouse (Reply 27):
I manage to go through life without spitting

Do you also manage to go through life without urinating or defecating?

Some people are just to sensitive, it's the same when people get grossed out just because I say I have to go to the bathroom. It is a natural thing to do, and if you can keep it away from the public eye all the better, but when you have to go you have to go...
Read this very carefully, I shall write this only once!

Delta767300ER

Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:52 pm

Yup, I spit in public all the time. Especially when I'm dippin Copenhagen. When I go into a place like a movie theatre, mall, stadium, Wal Mart, ect. I always carry a plastic water bottle with me to spit in. Bet ya'll wanted to know that.

-Delta767300ER

Brendan03

Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:59 pm

Quoting ClassicLover (Reply 31):
It's perhaps the most disgusting habit in the world in my opinion. It grosses me out! Especially when you're sitting at a table on the footpath (sidewalk, whatever) at a cafe and someone walking by does it. Gross to the max.

Guess I have a sensitive stomach

I don't agree with spitting outside a cafe or resteraunt, I'd be quite offended if someone did, as I mentioned earlier, If I feel the need to spit, I lean over a bin and spit into it as if I were spitting out gum, You don't have a problem with people having to spit out gum do you?

The otherday I was in a store and felt a sneeze coming on, At the time I was up close to something on the shelf, I moved away and turned around and put my hands over my face and sneezed, I said excuse me (There was a lady standing behind me) - I tried to be as discreet and polite as I could in the situation and she still greased me off, After she greased me off, I regreted not sneezing on her
Coolier than thou.

Toulouse

Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:07 am

Quoting ClassicLover (Reply 31):
How on earth do you figure that? In 29 years of never spitting, I've never contracted a stomach bug of any kind from phlegm being swallowed.

Well said Classiclover.

Quoting Pyrex (Reply 32):
Do you also manage to go through life without urinating or defecating?

Pyrex, I'm no doctor, but as far as I know there is no medical benefit for spitting. Spit is simply saliva, which are chemicals we NEED in our mouth. So why get rid of it? I really find comparing spitting to urinating or defecating to be ridiculous... it's like comparing chalk and cheese.

As Classiclover also seems to have the same stance as me, here you have two a.netters who have both managed to get through life healthily so far without spitting.

I am open however to "genuine" correction, maybe one of our medical a.netters could shed some light?
Long live Aer Lingus!

Brendan03

Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:14 am

Quoting Toulouse (Reply 35):
Pyrex, I'm no doctor, but as far as I know there is no medical benefit for spitting. Spit is simply saliva, which are chemicals we NEED in our mouth.

What about when you get a big chunky booger in your mouth that's been sitting in the back of your throat? I couldn't personally handle to swallow one, I'd be sick

My best friend, She has them all the time and hates spitting herself but can't come to swallowing it (She too would puke)

Usually she wipes it into a tissue and discards the tissue, If she doesn't have a tissue she freaks out and waits until theres noone around and spits it into a rubbish bin, As what I've said I do
Coolier than thou.

Toulouse

Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:24 am

Quoting Brendan03 (Reply 36):
Usually she wipes it into a tissue and discards the tissue, If she doesn't have a tissue she freaks out and waits until theres noone around and spits it into a rubbish bin, As what I've said I do

Yep, I suppose that's the best thing to do. maybe I'm just lucky, but that doesn't seem to happen to me (hope there nothing abnormal about that). When I've got the flu, that's another story, but I'm usually at home so no problem, but yep, in those cases I do try to get it up (no misinterpretations please!) and do so in a public toilet (still no misinterpretations please!), tissue or toilet. Never on the street in public, that is just totally unhygenic and disrespectful to everyone else.
Long live Aer Lingus!

Brendan03

Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:29 am

Quoting Toulouse (Reply 37):
(hope there nothing abnormal about that).

Oh I doubt it, I think we both have weak stomachs

that is just totally unhygenic and disrespectful to everyone else.

I agree, I do get a bit embarrassed when I have to spit and I'm in public
Coolier than thou.

Pyrex

Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:27 am

that is just totally unhygenic and disrespectful to everyone else

Spitting on the sidewalk is disrespectful but if you need to there are ways to do it more secludedly. I just don't think the act of spitting itself is disrespectful and gross, it's a natural thing.

Sure, saliva is a natural thing, but sometimes it builds up and has to be expelled. Besides the phlem example, while practising sports, for example, sometimes saliva accumulates in the mouth and you can't just swallow it. The only way to sort the thing is to spit it out when you are regaining your breath. Same thing after a long bath in the sea.
Read this very carefully, I shall write this only once!