aer lingus

How Do You Customise Your Car?

Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:31 am

Customising the car is a very popular thing to do at the moment.

What do you put or like to install on to your car to make it stand out from the rest of the crowds? Putting on winglets perhaps....

We want pictures from anyone who has their car heavily transformed in any way. Including crash pictures.

This is what I put on to my car in 2003.

Yes you have guessed it. The needle thing on the wing tip like the Boeing 747-100/200/300. I know it looks kind of weird. But I think its nice to have something special on the car. I really liked to have a pair removable winglets on the front side panels of the car. I was thinking of having 1ft width x 2ft high removable winglets installed on the front. Big grin

Once again we want loads of pictures.

bigthumbsup 
Split Scimitar or Sharklets?

nhgrafx

RE: How Do You Customise Your Car?

Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:01 am

A plastic strip on the mirror? Come on, you can surely do better than that. Try some nice rims, custom tail lights, maybe some lowering springs. What kind of car do you have?

My car, even in total stock form, already stands out from the crowd, but the customizations I have done to mine are, 18 inch rims, custom tail lights, external side ESAM visors on the front and back windows, and fog lights which cant be seen in the picture below. My futyre plans for customizing are lowering it 1.5 or 2 inches, getting a performance exhaust system and some engine upgrades for more power (headers, cold air intake, supercharger) and a tasteful rear spoiler, I also plan on removing the Scion emblems and replacing them with Toyota BB emblems (japanese equivelent of xB). I also might get a nice body kit too.
Is it weird I have a RemoveBeforeFlight pitot cover on my car rear view mirror?

Daleaholic

Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:06 am

NHGrafx I really like those cars although I only saw one when I went on Holiday to USA. Don't they use one of those on Pimp My Ride? That one comes out very nicely. My bro is into modding his car but He's put a Backbox on so its very noisy  mad 
Religion is an illusion of childhood... Outgrown under proper education.

muddydwagon

Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:11 am

The latest mods for my Mazda are snow tires and wiper blades. Basically I am going with the stock look of the vehicle. Sorry no pictures available at this time.

Cheers Peter

ShyFlyer

Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:39 am

I've only made two modifications to my Mazda Tribute. The most obvious is a European number plate:

This replaced a German plate that I had. Having one from Norway makes more sense for me, as my paternal Grandparents were born there. My only link to Germany is my membership in the Lutheran Church. That number plate now hangs in my room.

The first modification I made to my vehicle was a set of Code3© amber strobe lights in the rear window:

These were installed shortly after I purchased the vehicle. They are not there for any "official" purpose, but rather for my own safety should I find myself on the shoulder of a busy road. I think of them as 12 volt road flares. They really make my vehicle stand out.
I lift things up and put them down.

flymia

Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:56 am

I don't have anything on my car except for an 1975 blue US Virgin Island License plate in the front. A since a front license plate is not required in Florida it stands out, at first people just think the car is from out of state but then they look.
A car like the one I have a 04 VW Touareg V8 is already nice enough, and stand out pretty well as the Touareg is not the most popular SUV, like an X5, Explorer or even a Range Rover. But I would love to make changes to the engine just to make it go a bit faster. Maybe cut 0-60 to 7.0 but that's not going to happen, the Dealer would not like it as the car is on extended warranty and my parents would not allow it either.

Quoting ShyFlyer (Reply 4):
The first modification I made to my vehicle was a set of Code3© amber strobe lights in the rear window:

Those are some nice lights. I would love to have a pair of those in the back. and maybe one in the front. But for now I have a powerful strobe flashlight. The Strobe can last for 10 hours and can be seen for around a mile on a clear night.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

2H4

Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:06 am

Quoting Aer Lingus (Thread starter):
I really liked to have a pair removable winglets on the front side panels of the car.

Hey, if you like static wicks, why not go all the way?

2H4

Intentionally Left Blank

liedetectors

Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:49 am

Quoting NHGrafx (Reply 1):
A plastic strip on the mirror? Come on, you can surely do better than that.

Or he can buy a Scion! HAHA just kidding.

Try some nice rims, custom tail lights, maybe some lowering springs.

I agree here, getting some nice rims and slaming it down is good. I prefer the dark metalic colored rims, they hide the brake dust better. Alteeza tail lights look good too, but only on certain cars. If its legal in your area, at some ground effect lighting.

As an aerospace engineer, I can tell you that adding a rear wing is functionless, the bigger the wing, the more useless it is. Wings are used to hold down Indy style cars, not sedans.

Im rolling on a 2005 Honda Accord EX coupe V6 straight off the lot. I did add the rear wing spoiler (note not a wing) and added the Honda lower body kit, it looks good. The only hard part about a black car is keeping it clean. Black looks the worst when its dirty, but it sure looks the best when its clean.

If it was said by us, then it must be true.

LOT767-300ER

Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:52 am

My car, even in total stock form, already stands out from the crowd, but the customizations I have done to mine are, 18 inch rims, custom tail lights, external side ESAM visors on the front and back windows, and fog lights which cant be seen in the picture below. My futyre plans for customizing are lowering it 1.5 or 2 inches, getting a performance exhaust system and some engine upgrades for more power (headers, cold air intake, supercharger) and a tasteful rear spoiler, I also plan on removing the Scion emblems and replacing them with Toyota BB emblems (japanese equivelent of xB). I also might get a nice body kit too.

It might be good to start out with something that has even marginal power at the begining. People like you is what I love on the street, thinking that a supercharger and an air intake will make it go fast  Silly

2H4

Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:57 am

Quoting LOT767-300ER (Reply 8):
People like you is what I love on the street, thinking that a supercharger and an air intake will make it go fast

Where did NH claim the mods would make his car fast? He only talked about adding more power. Nothing wrong with that.

2H4

Intentionally Left Blank

ShyFlyer

Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:59 am

Quoting FlyMIA (Reply 5):
But for now I have a powerful strobe flashlight. The Strobe can last for 10 hours and can be seen for around a mile on a clear night.

I've seen those types of lights. With my rear window being tinted, they don't have the power to be visible during the day, when I do most of my driving anyway.

Before getting something like I have, I'd check local regulations before purchasing and/or using them.
I lift things up and put them down.

fumanchewd

Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:01 pm

I have an iridescent streak of Yeagermeister vomit covering the driver side of my car. It was very expensive.
In the time of chimpanzees, I was a monkey...

dan2002

Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:18 pm

My futyre plans for customizing are lowering it 1.5 or 2 inches, getting a performance exhaust system

So basically, everytime you hit a bump, your shocks are going to come up through the floor, and by performance exhaust, I hope you aren't talking about drilling a bunch of holes in an oversized muffler?
A guy asks 'What's Punk?'. I kick over a trash can and its punk. He knocks over a trash can and its trendy.

roadrunner165

Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:57 pm

Quoting Dan2002 (Reply 12):
So basically, everytime you hit a bump, your shocks are going to come up through the floor

laughing   rotfl 

Is the Scion 4WD?

Adam

Brendan03

Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:07 pm

When I first saw this thread I thought "Oh Good Lord" - I've been thinking for ages I'd like to get a Volkswagon Beetle, I wonder how much AA want for their AA Buggy? - I want that car now! Big grin
Coolier than thou.

centrair

Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:12 pm

My Rav4 is currently decked out with the all stylish "Dirty Frame" and "Spotted Windows". Soon I will add a kick ass Graco "Multi-year use Removable Child Seat."

YEAH. Child Seats ROCK
Yes...I am not a KIX fan. Let's Japanese Aviation!

LHMark

Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:31 pm

I lean my considerable ass up against the fender, thus leaving a large, embarassing dent.

Signed,
KROC
"Sympathy is something that shouldn't be bestowed on the Yankees. Apparently it angers them." - Bob Feller

LOT767-300ER

Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:39 pm

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 9):
Where did NH claim the mods would make his car fast? He only talked about adding more power. Nothing wrong with that.

Spare me, and come back to me when you have 275+hp under the hood. My tupperware is already full with rice anyways.

sovietjet

Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:35 pm

On my WRX I have a full body lip kit, full turboback exhaust, uppipe, blow-off valve, intake, STI shift knob, STI side markers, boost gauge, yellow fog bulbs, fog light covers, performance brake pads, and I also painted the part around the headlight bulbs black. I did the exhaust and headlights after these pics though.

Twistedwhisper

Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:41 pm

That's it.
Read between the lines.

2H4

Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:47 am

Quoting LOT767-300ER (Reply 17):
Spare me, and come back to me when you have 275+hp under the hood. My tupperware is already full with rice anyways.

Ahhhh....now I understand where you're coming from. My apologies. I didn't realize you had an issue you need to...ahem...compensate for.

Wink

2H4

Intentionally Left Blank

DrDeke

Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:34 am

Well, I drive a 92 Camry, so I don't have any winglets, vortex generators, trunk wings or anything like that. But I am thinking about building a seven-segment LED or light box, with a controller to make the light slide back and forth Knight Rider style, and sticking that on the hood next summer, for a laugh and out of a general sense of ridiculousness. Maybe I'll stick a speaker in it too and try to get that "whoosh whoosh" noise going  Smile.

Only problem is I think it might be illegal in some places to display red lights on a vehicle unless you are a cop, firefighter, or something along those lines using an official vehicle.

-DrDeke
If you don't want it known, don't say it on a phone.

yowza

Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:37 am

No disrespect to you hobbyists that fix up your cars. I was just wondering why you do it? Instead of buying a decent car and suping it up why not just pool your money from your after-purchase ventures with the cost of the car and buy a better car?

YOWza

jamesbuk

Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:00 am

Quoting YOWza (Reply 22):
YOWza

lol i half agree to that.I think the americans have the pimping out cars all figured out yet in the U.K everyone pimps up Vauxhall (opel) corsa's and they look god damn awful.

rgds --James--
You cant have your cake and eat it... What the hells the point in having it then!!!

ArmitageShanks

Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:10 am

My car is totally unique. It is direct from the factory. No changes what so ever.

It looks so different than all the other Ford Taurus out there!

LOT767-300ER

Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:33 am

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 20):
Ahhhh....now I understand where you're coming from. My apologies. I didn't realize you had an issue you need to...ahem...compensate for.

Yea, thats it. Obviously you just hit the nail right on the head.

/sarcasm off.

Quoting YOWza (Reply 22):
No disrespect to you hobbyists that fix up your cars. I was just wondering why you do it? Instead of buying a decent car and suping it up why not just pool your money from your after-purchase ventures with the cost of the car and buy a better car?

My point, exactly.

A332

Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:33 am

You customize a vehicle by adding whatever enhancements you find personally appealing, be it cosmetic or mechanical...

I've done the exhaust & rims on my 2002 Yukon... totally worth the money, it looks and sounds awesome!
Bad spellers of the world... UNTIE!

LOT767-300ER

Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:42 am

Quoting A332 (Reply 26):
I've done the exhaust & rims on my 2002 Yukon... totally worth the money, it looks and sounds awesome!

That is a relative viewpoint.

2H4

Thu Jan 12, 2006 4:24 am

Quoting LOT767-300ER (Reply 27):

That is a relative viewpoint.

Of course it is. What's wrong with someone customizing one's car to their liking? Not everyone is attempting to meet your standards, LOT....nor should they be expected to.

2H4

Intentionally Left Blank

srbmod

Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:50 am

Early prototypes for the "shark fin" antenna?

My Dodge Stratus has not and probably will not be customized, other than a Las Vegas-related plate up front. I will admit to looking at the better factory rims for it (the plastic "hub cap" covered wheels are a little cheap looking).

Cadet57

Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:54 am

On my original car, I diddnt do anything, it came stock with bodykit and alloys. On the new car, well new to me. Im doing police hubcaps, installing my scanner with 12 inch trunk mount antenna, and my cb  Smile. Here comes cadet57... weeeeoooo.
Doors open, right hand side, next stop is Springfield.

nhgrafx

Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:56 am

Quoting LOT767-300ER (Reply 8):
It might be good to start out with something that has even marginal power at the begining. People like you is what I love on the street, thinking that a supercharger and an air intake will make it go fast

I have no desire to go fast, my car is by no means meant for speed. I bought it because I love it, because it is different. If I wanted speed, I would have gotten a Porsche. My daily commutes are 70 miles round trip 95% of that being on the highway, I just would like an extra 30-50hp to make passing people easier, It gets annoying always having to floor it and get the engine revving up to 5,000rpm just to pass some old fart driving too slow. Some extra power will also improve acceleration so I can get onto the highway for once without having the speed freaks almost running me off the road. Everyone here drives like they are in a Nascar race.

CO7e7

Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:05 am

yea and Crotchrockets as well!! (streetbikes)

Cadet57

Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:12 am

I really dont have a car that customisable, a '96 chevy lumina:
but I'd rather drive a car like this anyday over a sports car or a luxury car... Does that say somethin bout me?
Doors open, right hand side, next stop is Springfield.

emiratesa345

Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:14 am

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 20):

Obviously you've never heard what they say about the Polish.

Mark  Silly
You and I were meant to fly, Air Canada!

nhgrafx

Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:26 am

Quoting Dan2002 (Reply 12):
So basically, everytime you hit a bump, your shocks are going to come up through the floor, and by performance exhaust, I hope you aren't talking about drilling a bunch of holes in an oversized muffler?

No a simple 1.5 inch drop will reduce the wheel gap, and they look better an inch or 2 lower anyways, but everyone I know who has done that to theirs has actually reported a better ride.

And by performance exhaust, I mean one that is not as restrictive. The stock exhaust is tiny and very restrictive to the engine, I am not going to get one of those annoying as hell exhausts kids put on their civics that have a huge coffee can sized bore. The huge ones kids put on their civics don't do anything but make alot of noise and annoy people, and in many cases, result in power loss because the engines arent designed to utilize such a large bore. I am just going to get something with a bore of about a quarter to half an inch larger than the stock to reduce the restriction a bit. I think using the word "performance exhaust" sent the wrong image. But I am not going to turn my car into something out the Fast and the Furious movie. Thats the last thing I want to do.

jutes85

Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:29 am

I started simple, painting Calipers, tinting windows..etc. I then got rims and this summer I'm planning on installing an exhaust system Header-back.

nothing

liedetectors

Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:29 am

Quoting DrDeke (Reply 21):
But I am thinking about building a seven-segment LED or light box, with a controller to make the light slide back and forth Knight Rider style, and sticking that on the hood next summer

I've seen that done on a Dodge Neon. It was kind of cool. haha
If it was said by us, then it must be true.

SlamClick

Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:46 am

Well, let's see.

First I drove into the drawbar on my neice's tractor. That put a small rust-colored streak inside the radiator opening.

Then I hit a mounted truck tire going about 80mph at night on I-80. That broke the airdam (and sent me airborne for an alarming distance)

Then during "Hot August Nights" some redneck in a really uglish truck with a shingled camper put a crease in the body just behind the driver door.

Then I was following a dumptruck and a rock cracked the windshield. I'd get it repaired but I am waiting for the second rock. They work in pairs you know.

There is also a sticker - my Army Aviator wings in the window, two different airport employee lot stickers and the fact that I've never re-set the security code in the stereo that all mark it as mine. Then there is the secret marker - some vanilla milkshake down inside the a/c duct.
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

SouthwestMDW

Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:03 am

Quoting ArmitageShanks (Reply 24):
My car is totally unique. It is direct from the factory. No changes what so ever.

It looks so different than all the other Ford Taurus out there!

As is my Ford Taurus. I made no chages whatsoever. I still have the Ford hubcaps, and I still even have the dealer license plate bracket. Everything in and out is factory installed. (Standard)

Just wondering, what year Taurus do you have?

2H4

Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:23 am

Quoting NHGrafx (Reply 31):
I have no desire to go fast, my car is by no means meant for speed. I bought it because I love it, because it is different. If I wanted speed, I would have gotten a Porsche.

Well said, NH.

It seems there are two categories of "car customizers"....the first group, like yourself, consists of people who simply like to address the shortcomings of their car while emphasizing the strengths. The end result is a car that fits their priorities and personality from the standpoints of design, performance, and functionality.

The second group, like LOT767, consider only one thing. Power. The faster their car can go in a straight line, the better. These folks mistakenly assume everyone is as hell-bent on raw power as they are, and criticize anyone with priorities other than their own.

Personally, I was once a fan of fast cars. Then I bought a motorcycle (or two), and I now understand just how feeble it is to think of cars as "fast". Motorcycles (street bikes in particular) have forever ruined the idea of performance cars for me, and I couldn't be happier.

Wink

2H4

Intentionally Left Blank

gunsontheroof

Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:37 pm

What do you put or like to install on to your car to make it stand out from the rest of the crowds?

Strawberry air freshener, tape deck adaptor for my iPod.

ANCFlyer

Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:16 pm

Custom Brush Guard with KC Daylighters.

Chrome Grill Insert.

Custom Topper - matching paint - interior lighting - bed liner.

K&N Air Breather, Filter.

Additional 3 inches of lift.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y60/csmpep/TheMANTruck.jpg
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

LOT767-300ER

Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:25 am

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 28):
Of course it is. What's wrong with someone customizing one's car to their liking? Not everyone is attempting to meet your standards, LOT....nor should they be expected to.

Free country, so I can voice my opinion about the idiotness of rice boys. Personally speaking, I hurts my eyes to see people waste money on useless addons that do nothing...but it doesnt anger me. My standards are indeed quite high...I know  Silly

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 42):

I have this also on my SUV...although black and not in Chrome (partly because its cheaper hehe and partly because It blends better IMO with my trim and paint) Is that a Westin brand guard?

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 40):
The second group, like LOT767, consider only one thing. Power. The faster their car can go in a straight line, the better. These folks mistakenly assume everyone is as hell-bent on raw power as they are, and criticize anyone with priorities other than their own.

You mistakenly assume Im hell bent on raw power and straight line speeds. Heres a fast fact, if I lived in Montpelier, France I would drive an Impreza...but I dont. Go back and do a search for the LENGTHY car threads we had...back before you even knew about this site.

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 40):
Personally, I was once a fan of fast cars. Then I bought a motorcycle (or two), and I now understand just how feeble it is to think of cars as "fast". Motorcycles (street bikes in particular) have forever ruined the idea of performance cars for me, and I couldn't be happier.

Its also a good way to kill yourself if your foolish...you think I was born yesterday and never rode one? Motorbikes arent primary modes of transport anyways...save that for a different thread.

Quoting NHGrafx (Reply 31):
I have no desire to go fast, my car is by no means meant for speed. I bought it because I love it, because it is different. If I wanted speed, I would have gotten a Porsche. My daily commutes are 70 miles round trip 95% of that being on the highway, I just would like an extra 30-50hp to make passing people easier, It gets annoying always having to floor it and get the engine revving up to 5,000rpm just to pass some old fart driving too slow. Some extra power will also improve acceleration so I can get onto the highway for once without having the speed freaks almost running me off the road. Everyone here drives like they are in a Nascar race.

NASCAR...hahah....thats laughable. BTW, respect to you for what you just said. Honestly, thanks for not being another idiot with a coffee can.

PositiveClimb

Fri Jan 13, 2006 4:24 am

Well, my car isn't very "pimped"...
It is only lowered about one inch and got other rims, that's it...

I like it anyways:

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a239/Fabs79/DSCF0004_photobucket.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a239/Fabs79/DSCF0001_photobucket.jpg

Oh wait! I put new windshield wiper blades on the last week - customizing at it's best, I suppose  Wink  bigthumbsup 

Best regards,
Fabian/PositiveClimb
A380 - love at first flight!

srbmod

Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:57 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 42):

Chrome Grill Insert.

Custom Topper - matching paint - interior lighting - bed liner.

K&N Air Breather, Filter.

Additional 3 inches of lift.

I wouldn't call that "customized"; more like "regionally needed accessories", chrome optional.

SAIL52115

Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:10 am

I modify my ride every now and then with a fine coat of rail dust (CTA "L") and street crud+graffiti (CTA Bus)

In Chicago,

Me

nhgrafx

Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:37 am

Quoting SlamClick (Reply 38):
Then I was following a dumptruck and a rock cracked the windshield. I'd get it repaired but I am waiting for the second rock. They work in pairs you know.

I just had that happen to me today. Although this was a flatbed truck with a big bulldozer thingy on it and a rock about 3 inches in size flew off the truck when it hit a bump and hit my windshield. Now I got a beautiful 1.5 foot long crack in my windshield.

Quoting LOT767-300ER (Reply 43):
BTW, respect to you for what you just said. Honestly, thanks for not being another idiot with a coffee can.

Yeah, thats the last thing I want to do. They are pointless for tiny engines and annoy the hell out of me with their loud whiney high pitched noise. I am most likely going to fabricate my own exhaust with a slightly larger bore than the stock to reduce the restriction a bit.

Quoting LOT767-300ER (Reply 43):
NASCAR...hahah....thats laughable

A lot of people here in Charlotte are very wreckless drivers, usually going 85-100mph weaving in and out of traffic, following the other car with only inches of clearance. Just like a NASCAR race, but at a lower speed.

LOT767-300ER

Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:05 pm

Quoting NHGrafx (Reply 47):
A lot of people here in Charlotte are very wreckless drivers, usually going 85-100mph weaving in and out of traffic, following the other car with only inches of clearance. Just like a NASCAR race, but at a lower speed.

Mate, im in Daytona Beach for school, Im about to get invaded by rednecks..I know. But I was laughing because NASCAR is a joke, one because its boring, and 2 because any moron with a half decent automobile can do a run at their speeds on any road out west.

Yeah, thats the last thing I want to do. They are pointless for tiny engines and annoy the hell out of me with their loud whiney high pitched noise. I am most likely going to fabricate my own exhaust with a slightly larger bore than the stock to reduce the restriction a bit.

And nothing wrong with that as long as it has a MECHANICAL use.

dan2002

Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:42 pm

Yeah, that's the last thing I want to do. They are pointless for tiny engines and annoy the hell out of me with their loud whiney high pitched noise. I am most likely going to fabricate my own exhaust with a slightly larger bore than the stock to reduce the restriction a bit.

I gotta respect this and your last comment, and I agree. I'm just so used to damn ricers. I've seen everything from Jeeps to Eagles to really old Toyotas, to freaking pickup trucks with spoilers and fart can exhausts. One of these days, I'm going to ram a potato up in one of those things, but it probally wouldn't do anything because there are so many holes in it. God, I hate ricers. One kept me up until about 1Am last night going up and down the street acting like it had power, and it was a damn PT Cruiser with a riced exhaust and more vinyl than a used record store.

/rant

-Dan
A guy asks 'What's Punk?'. I kick over a trash can and its punk. He knocks over a trash can and its trendy.