oly720man

What Was The Architect Thinking?

Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:13 am

Don't know if anyone's come across this before on Google Earth, but it was pointed out to me by an American visitor recently.

It's part of the military base in San Diego...

wheat and dairy can screw up your brain

sunshine79

RE: What Was The Architect Thinking?

Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:32 am

I wonder when it was built? Does anyone know of any other unusual shape buildings on Google Earth?
Formerly alcregular, Why drive when you can fly?

SlamClick

Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:32 am

Looks like maybe they figured that out after they built it. The two under construction just to the lower left are not shaped like a swastika.

Anyone searching for this, it is on Silver Strand, just below Coronado, in fact is straight south of the big bend in the Coronado bridge.
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

MattRB

Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:00 am

Aviation is proof that given, the will, we have the capacity to achieve the impossible.

jamesbuk

Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:40 am

LOL imagine how red the architect went when he discovered that and how much of a telling off he would've got!!

rgds --James--
You cant have your cake and eat it... What the hells the point in having it then!!!

lentigomaligna

Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:45 am

Unless this was built a very long time ago there's no way this could have been built without SOMEONE noticing.

HOMER71

Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:32 am

On travel/road maps of Korea, I remember they use the 'swastika' symbol to indicate a Buddhist temple.

Can anyone tell me what's the reason for this?
"On spaceship earth there are no passengers...only crew."

kiwiandrew

Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:39 am

Quoting Homer71 (Reply 6):
On travel/road maps of Korea, I remember they use the 'swastika' symbol to indicate a Buddhist temple.

Can anyone tell me what's the reason for this?

the swastika as a Buddhist symbol predates Nazism by a long time - I am not sure of the original significance - but the nazis stole it and corrupted it ( the Nazi version is actually a mirror image ie it 'rotates' the wrong way compared to the proper swastika )

if you go to the Carlsberg brewery in Copenhagen you will see swastikas on the buildings there too , tour guides always take care to explain to people touring the brewery that these are proper swastikas , nothing to do with the nazis .

Logan22L

Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:48 am

Quoting Kiwiandrew (Reply 7):
the swastika as a Buddhist symbol predates Nazism by a long time - I am not sure of the original significance - but the nazis stole it and corrupted it ( the Nazi version is actually a mirror image ie it 'rotates' the wrong way compared to the proper swastika )

The swastika is not exactly a Buddhist symbol - it is a symbol of the Aryan race (of ancient India) of which Gautama Siddharta (Buddha) was a member. The four arms of the swastika have been called the "Four Arms of Vishnu," and also represent evolution and dissolution (consider the four arms creating two opposite paths). Although the swastika has been used in Buddhism for over 2,000 years, it is more properly an ancient Indian symbol.

Indeed, the Nazis drew it the opposite way, and also rotated it 45 degress to a "diamond" configuration as opposed to a "square" one.
"The deeper you go, the higher you fly. The higher you fly, the deeper you go."

jafa39

Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:07 am

Excellent! Maybe the architect was the son of an ex-nazi and wanted to flip the bone in a big way.

You'd think someone would have noticed!!
We, the undersigned, do hereby consent.....

nhgrafx

Fri Jan 13, 2006 9:13 am

The swastika is also a symbol that was used by native Americans for a thousand years or so, it represents intertwining paths among other things. The symbol itself has been used by tons of other cultures as well for thousands of years. But we all know what happened to the symbol after Hitler.

Its not any different from the pentagram that has been used by pagan religions for thousands of years which represents 5 elements or something, even some christian knights in the very early days used the symbol on their shields. But now everyone instantly associates it with "satanic" stuff because they perverted it.

There are lots and lots of one harmless symbols out there that have been adopted by groups or individuals who used it to represent bad things and ended up perverting the symbol to the point where everyone sees it as the bad thing and never realizes its other meanings that predated the bad.
Is it weird I have a RemoveBeforeFlight pitot cover on my car rear view mirror?