KLMA330
Topic Author

The Food Channel/Network

Sat Jan 14, 2006 2:15 am

The Everyday Italian thread inspired me...

Does anyone else love this network? Personally, I could take or leave food, and I can't cook to save my life, however, I just love watching these guys go at it... Perhaps it's cause I couldn't afford half the ingredients they use, and they make it look so easy, but it's a joy to watch.

Barefoot Contessa, Mario Batalli, Emeril, so on and so forth, and let's not forget IRON CHEF JAPAN! simply ROCKS!!!

Billy  Smile

CactusA319

RE: The Food Channel/Network

Sat Jan 14, 2006 2:28 am

Yup, Food Network is definitely one of my favorite channels. It's the main reason I've gotten into cooking.

My favorites are Emeril (altough his schtick sometimes gets a little old) Bobby Flay, Alton Brown, the Barefoot Contessa, and to a lesser degree Rachel Ray (she's always good for a laugh if nothing else).

And yes, Iron Chef Japan rocks. Exotic food and extreme cheesiness all in one tidy one-hour package.

max999

Sat Jan 14, 2006 2:36 am

Best TV channel out there...

Does anyone if they have Food Network outside US and Canada? And if not, do other countries have something similiar?
All the things I really like to do are either immoral, illegal, or fattening.

AeroWesty

Sat Jan 14, 2006 2:37 am

I usually watch Iron Chef at 11PM weeknights, and Giada/Ina/Michael/Dave on Saturday/Sunday mornings if I'm around. It's been on my cable system for the last 10 years, and I still don't get tired of watching Iron Chef. I wish they'd put it on DVD!

The one thing I have to credit it with is bringing a wide variety of food to regular markets that was previously unavailable. Even our state-run liquor stores started carrying Limoncello in a prominent display after it appeared on FoodTV.

Sara Moulton is the best cook on the network, I believe, and far underrated. She has a lot of classic training, mentored under Julia Child, and is the Executive Chef for Gourmet magazine.
International Homo of Mystery

KLMA330
Topic Author

Sat Jan 14, 2006 2:41 am

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 3):
Sara Moulton is the best cook on the network, I believe, and far underrated. She has a lot of classic training, mentored under Julia Child, and is the Executive Chef for Gourmet magazine.

What's the name of her show? Never seen it I'm afraid...

AeroWesty

Sat Jan 14, 2006 2:44 am

Her latest show is Sara's Secrets. She used to have two live hours per day with guest chefs and audience calls, that I think was a bit grueling for her.

Roger136913

Sat Jan 14, 2006 2:45 am

My fav show is Good Eats!

N1120A

Sat Jan 14, 2006 2:46 am

Quoting KLMA330 (Reply 4):
What's the name of her show? Never seen it I'm afraid...

Sara's Secrets

I think the Everyday Italian thread showed who my favorite Food Network chef is. Besides her looks, I am a huge fan of Giada's cooking. Everything she does is beautiful, simple, flavorful and colorful. Like anyone, I am a huge Iron Chef fan (Kyo-no wa kore-desu!!). I like Rachel Ray's $40 a day but I am not a major fan of 30 minute meals. Alton Brown's Good Eats is also a really good show.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

AeroWesty

Sat Jan 14, 2006 2:52 am

I have a lot of mixed feelings about Alton Brown. I've always liked watching his show, but I've either not been able to duplicate his recipes well, or we have different tastes.

He's certainly educational as to how cooking works, and his book I'm Just Here For The Food is in my collection, but when I'm looking for how to make something new, I'll read what he has to say, then look for a recipe by Tyler Florence or Sara Moulton first, since I can recreate theirs nearly perfectly without any trouble, and they taste great!

prosa

Sat Jan 14, 2006 2:57 am

One of my favorite networks too. Of the specific shows, I'd probably go with Good Eats and Emeril as the most entertaining.
"Let me think about it" = the coward's way of saying "no"

scamp

Sat Jan 14, 2006 3:02 am

It's a great channel. Especially when there is "nothing else" on. Love "Good Eats."
If it pisses off the right, I'm all for it.

N1120A

Sat Jan 14, 2006 3:11 am

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 8):
then look for a recipe by Tyler Florence

Of course you like him Westy  Silly

desertjets

Sat Jan 14, 2006 3:28 am

"Good Eats" is my 2nd all-time favorite cooking show, after "The Frugal Gourmet" w/ Jeff Smith (unfortunately some of his off-screen antics tarnished his reputation).

But what I really like about Alton's show is how he makes cooking good food accessible to the everyday person, often resorting to the hardware aisle to fashion a cooking implement instead of dropping hundreds of bucks at the kitchen supply store.

I do like Sara Moulton's cooking, unfortunately her show is on in the afternoon when I have to work.

Mario Batali is another favorite that has not been mentioned. He just has good presence in the kitchen, and can explain what he is doing and why.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

srbmod

Sat Jan 14, 2006 4:45 am

I'm a Food Network addict. "Good Eats" is one of my favorite shows (filmed all around the Atlanta area), as are "Unwrapped", "A Cook's Tour" (Unfortunately, the show's been relegated to the 4:00 am timeslot on Thursdays) and "The Secret Life of..." I'm pretty much over Emeril. I'm surprised nobody has mentioned "Paula's Home Cooking". I like watching her, as she cooks like my grandmother does, only even more fattening.

desertjets

Sat Jan 14, 2006 4:50 am

Quoting Srbmod (Reply 13):
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned "Paula's Home Cooking". I like watching her, as she cooks like my grandmother does, only even more fattening.

Her show is great, nothing but comfort food with style. I especially like how every dish starts out with half a stick of butter.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

CactusA319

Sat Jan 14, 2006 4:53 am

Quoting Srbmod (Reply 13):
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned "Paula's Home Cooking". I like watching her, as she cooks like my grandmother does, only even more fattening.

Yup, forgot to mention that one. I've tried a couple of her recipes and they're very good, altough not a great option if you're on a diet.

AeroWesty

Sat Jan 14, 2006 4:56 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 11):
Of course you like him Westy

(And here all this time I thought I was being so discrete.)  Wink

VSlover

Sat Jan 14, 2006 4:57 am

Quoting CactusA319 (Reply 15):
Yup, forgot to mention that one. I've tried a couple of her recipes and they're very good, altough not a great option if you're on a diet.

...or if you dont mind eating 4 stick of butter with each dish.

this was a pretty hilarious take on one of her shows:

http://www.tvgasm.com/archives/food_network/001440.php

Before I knew what hit me, Paula was standing before a giant pile of meat; About 30 lbs worth of poultry. She was preparing a very special dish called "turducken." A turkey stuffed with a duck stuffed with a chicken all stuffed with stuffing. Hmmm, intriguing. Why she left out the Cornish hen stuffed with a quail stuffed with a hummingbird is beyond me - the turduckenhenailbird, of course. Paula giggled through some of her typical innuendo ("Don't forget to rub your meat *wink*" and "Splay your legs, ooooh!")

desertjets

Sat Jan 14, 2006 5:06 am

The caption is priceless:

Do y'all think Paula puts butter in her tea?

jake056

Sat Jan 14, 2006 5:40 am

I've gotten tired of the Food Network. Its slogan should be "All Emeril, All the time". I like the guy, but too much show and not enough cooking.

Paula Dean is good. I'm not crazy about her cuisine, but I like her approach to cooking and her personality. She is so chatty, I know more about her personal life than some of my own family!! Which is not necessarily a bad thing...

Rachel and Giada--keep 'em. Same with Sandra Lee. Too "cutesy" for words and their culinary skills leave a lot to be desired.

Sara Moulton is OUT at Food TV. Unfortunately they've parted company after 10 years. She was the best of all of their stars. A real chef and teacher.

I have ZERO interest in all of the "foodstyle" shows. "Secret Life of..." et. al.

Alton Brown's show is very educational and entertaining.

My favorite cooks on TV in general, though, are Lidia Bastianich, America's Test Kitchen, and Jacques Pepin. These shows are on PBS.

AeroWesty

Sat Jan 14, 2006 6:25 am

Quoting Jake056 (Reply 19):
Sara Moulton is OUT at Food TV

Now that's a real shame. The only thing I could really find on this was at slashfood.com, and they say Sara's going to have a new show on PBS.

Interestingly they say her FoodTV show was cancelled as of Dec. 31st, but it was just on today!

http://www.slashfood.com/2005/12/02/...a-moulton-leaves-the-food-network/

jake056

Sat Jan 14, 2006 7:31 am

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 20):

Her Cooking Live! show was one of my all time favorites. The network is clearly looking to go for a younger demographic. It is a business, after all.

I assume the network owns the rights to the shows, so they can re-broadcast them when they want.

N1120A

Sat Jan 14, 2006 8:08 am

Quoting DesertJets (Reply 12):
"The Frugal Gourmet" w/ Jeff Smith (unfortunately some of his off-screen antics tarnished his reputation).

Actually, those allegations turned out to be false.

max999

Sat Jan 14, 2006 9:01 am

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 3):

I agree, she was the best on the network. However, I think Sara's more dramatic coworkers on the network, such as Emeril and Bobby Flay, took the spotlight off her cooking talents.
All the things I really like to do are either immoral, illegal, or fattening.

EWROwznj00

Sat Jan 14, 2006 9:16 am

Food Network is really one of the best out there. I remember when it was just Emeril, Yan Can Cook, and the Galloping Gourmet. Well, maybe not just those 3, but it was very limited. Look at what it has now. I've actually gone to some of the places Rachel Ray went to for 40 dollars a day, as well as some of the places on The Best Of. It has a great variety of shows I feel.

My favorite shows are Paula's Home Cooking, Barefoot Contessa, Everyday Italian, and Iron Chef Japan.

I want to marry Tyler Florence. The man can cook and he's a Hottie McGee  hearts 
Yes, there is a typo in my username. No need to point it out.

N1120A

Sat Jan 14, 2006 9:46 am

Quoting EWROwznj00 (Reply 24):
Yan Can Cook, and the Galloping Gourmet.

Were those actually on FoodTV? I thought they were PBS shows

whitehatter

Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:01 am

We've got a few channels here, UKTV Food and the Discovery networks. Plus the travel channels show cookery programming.

Most of the pervs watch UKTV Food because they want to do Nigella Lawson. I prefer Keith Floyd's shows as he does some excellent nosh whilst pissed as a fart.
Lead me not into temptation, I can find my own way there...

N1120A

Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:05 am

Quoting WhiteHatter (Reply 26):
Most of the pervs watch UKTV Food because they want to do Nigella Lawson.

Yeah, you can include me in with them  bigthumbsup . The funny thing about Nigella is that she is on the Style Network here in the US

gigneil

Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:10 am

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 8):
then look for a recipe by Tyler Florence

I love me some Tyler Florence.... but I love Dave Lieberman more. He's H-O-T hot.

I used to watch Food Network mostly for From Martha's Kitchen, then branched out to everything else. I could sit here and watch it for hours and hours.

But really, truly, my favorite cooking show is not on Food Network. Its "America's Test Kitchen" on PBS. Its fucking fantastic.

N

lesmainwaring

Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:13 am

i've always loved food shows, back to the galloping gourmet and julia child ...

i watch a disproportionate amount of food network, but considering i'm a food writer, i call it 'research'

and yes, i'd like to research tyler florence's hot cross buns sometime ...
I want something under my wheels thats plenty long and mighty dry --- Vern Demarest

QANTAS077

Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:22 am

best tv food show i've seen is Nigella bites, she's a godess without doubt! and she eats everything she creates! can't beat a woman that enjoys food  Smile

another good one down here is Surfing the Menu, different locations around Oz are focused on each week with different cuisine relevant to the area they are in.

N1120A

Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:24 am

Same with Sandra Lee. Too "cutesy" for words and their culinary skills leave a lot to be desired.

I think that is the point of her show. Then again, I don't like her cooking either, but I get a laugh out of watching her get drunker and drunker as the show goes on

Giada--keep 'em.

SMITE HIM!!

whitehatter

Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:25 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 27):
The funny thing about Nigella is that she is on the Style Network here in the US

I'm not surprised, some of the stuff she does would translate into US television styles quite easily.

It's easy on the brain TV. Sometimes I've sat there and enjoyed the food shows, and even picked up some tips. Nigella's stuff is generally pretty simple but effective food that's easy to try yourself.

http://www.uktvfood.co.uk/index.cfm?uktv=chefs.chef&iID=530864

there is one show that gets repeated now and again, two guys doing Route 66 as a food tour. That was really enjoyable stuff.

http://www.uktvfood.co.uk/ is worth a visit.
Lead me not into temptation, I can find my own way there...

EWROwznj00

Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:28 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 25):
Were those actually on FoodTV? I thought they were PBS shows

I could be mixing Yan up with Ming Tsi; I think Ming Tsi came later though. But I'm sure Galloping was on Food Network a LONG time ago. I remember watching Emeril when he had his old school kitchen, and not this band stuff he has right now.

What time is Nigella on, I always seem to miss her. She's also fun to watch, and love her accent.

N1120A

Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:33 am

Quoting WhiteHatter (Reply 32):
I'm not surprised, some of the stuff she does would translate into US television styles quite easily.

It's easy on the brain TV. Sometimes I've sat there and enjoyed the food shows, and even picked up some tips. Nigella's stuff is generally pretty simple but effective food that's easy to try yourself.

Actually, I am not a big fan of Nigella's cooking. She has way too much of a "butter and bacon fix everything" mentality. I do like the style of her show, as it is very similar to Giada's, with the use of soft lighting and textures.

Quoting EWROwznj00 (Reply 33):
I think Ming Tsi came later though.

Whatever happened to that guy? He was an excellent cook

What time is Nigella on, I always seem to miss her. She's also fun to watch, and love her accent.

I am not sure of the time she is on, but I am all for a petition to have her do a naked cooking show  bigthumbsup 

gigneil

Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:35 am

I could be mixing Yan up with Ming Tsi;

Yan Can Cook and Simply Ming both come on PBS.

N

N1120A

Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:42 am

Quoting Gigneil (Reply 35):
Yan Can Cook and Simply Ming both come on PBS.

Ming Tsai was indeed on Food Network, however, with the show "East Meets West". I really liked the episode of Emeril Live where Martin Yan came on and cooked with Emeril, making him bust up every 60 seconds or so. I just wish Yan ended the show with "If Yan can cook, sooooo can yoo"

AeroWesty

Sat Jan 14, 2006 11:59 am

But I'm sure Galloping was on Food Network a LONG time ago. I

Yup, Graham Kerr's old shows were on FoodTV for a while, but scheduled VERY late in the night. (Might have even been on earlier at some point.) Before they went to a separate broadcast for the Pacific time zone, The French Chef was on at 1AM and Galloping Gourmet at 1:30AM in the west before the network went dark for the night.

It was great, because they put all his recipes in their database, and I got to copy out my faves, instead of having to type them out from my old set of his cookbooks. I have all 7 volumes from GG dating back to the 70's.

N1120A

Sat Jan 14, 2006 12:06 pm

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 37):
I have all 7 volumes from GG dating back to the 70's.

Wow, not bad. Do you have both pre and post heart attack?

ConcordeBoy

Sat Jan 14, 2006 12:11 pm

Indeed, I do so love the Rachael Ray, er Food, Network!

Quoting KLMA330 (Thread starter):
IRON CHEF JAPAN! simply ROCKS!!!

FRIGGIN' RIGHT!

...the American one is okay to watch when I'm bored, but it has absolutely NOTHING on the original. Bring back Sakai!!!
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

N1120A

Sat Jan 14, 2006 12:14 pm

Quoting ConcordeBoy (Reply 39):
Indeed, I do so love the Rachael Ray, er Food, Network!

Since when do like women, let alone women with gigantic rear ends?

ConcordeBoy

Sat Jan 14, 2006 12:27 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 40):
let alone women with gigantic rear ends?

Simple.

While I may be gayer than Christmas in New York... I am still both black and male-- a combo which sometimes defaults to thus  Wink
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

AeroWesty

Sat Jan 14, 2006 12:34 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 38):
Do you have both pre and post heart attack?

Nope, only the the pre-heart attack/car wreck series. I bought it off TV when I was a teenager. I even had a set of GG spurtles, but don't know where they are now. The one thing I'd like to find somewhere is his recipe for "Dirty Rice". He did a series of free recipes for the Alpha Beta supermarket chain while the original series was on the air, and I've not been able to find that card in eons. It was the best rice I've ever had.

KLMA330
Topic Author

Sun Jan 15, 2006 1:33 am

And a notable mention, as it seems we forgot, to Jamie Oliver...

Just so darn cute, and he can cook too!  Wink

EWROwznj00

Sun Jan 15, 2006 5:45 am

Quoting KLMA330 (Reply 43):
And a notable mention, as it seems we forgot, to Jamie Oliver...

Where did he go off to anyway? Does he still have a show?

eaglekeeper101

Sun Jan 15, 2006 7:31 am

I liked watching the original Iron Chef when I was stationed in Okinawa, even though I couldn't understand a damn thing any of them were saying. It was nice to return to the states and learn what some of the recipe ingredients actually were. It's my favorite show on Food Network, hands down.
"The earth is but one country, and mankind its citizens." - Bahá'u'lláh

flpuck6

Sun Jan 15, 2006 11:49 am

Watching the Food Network always made a 2h30 hr flight from the Northeast (JFK/BOS) down to S.Florida go by so fast.

I don't mind Rachel Ray ... her expressions are extremely cheesy (no pun intended) but her food is good especially for those who don't have big budgets and lots of time.

Ditto on Tyler Florence / David Lieberman / Jamie Oliver ...  Wink
Bonjour Chef!