pbottenb

Iran's Pres Ahmadinejad Scares The CR#P Out Of Me!

Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:21 am

Ok, Check out this article:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...heet=/news/2006/01/14/ixworld.html

"The most remarkable aspect of Mr Ahmadinejad's piety is his devotion to the Hidden Imam, the Messiah-like figure of Shia Islam, and the president's belief that his government must prepare the country for his return."

I know that there are other threads on the current state of affairs on iran, but I want to look at it differently -

Is President Ahmadinejad a scary Shia version of Pat Robertson, but with nukes?

Or is he crazy like a fox and this is all just a negotiation technique?

If he trying to freak us out here in the US - its working.......

PB

stuckinMAF

RE: Iran's Pres Ahmadinejad Scares The CR#P Out Of Me!

Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:32 am

I'm not scared of him. What I am scared of though is that our government will be too shy to take action against him until after it's too late because of all of the criticism it has received from both inside and outside our country over the Iraq situation. Those that have criticized the unilateral action that finally resolved the situation in Iraq don't fully realize the negative ramifications of their blatant anti-nationalism.

We can only hope that we get a true hawk as our next president who will not at all blink at Ahmadinejad's rhetoric and be able to stare him down by putting several divisions right on his doorstep and leaving them there until the people of Iran see the harm that he is causing their country both economically and possibly militarily and do the right thing by ousting him.
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity" -Sigmund Freud

pbottenb

Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:34 am

Quoting StuckinMAF (Reply 1):
We can only hope that we get a true hawk as our next president who will not at all blink at Ahmadinejad's rhetoric

I'm convinced that this pimple will come to a head long before the next election. its going to be up to GW to figure it out...

PIA777

Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:04 pm

Quoting Pbottenb (Thread starter):

I am a Shia muslim and I really do not think this Guy means a thing that
he says. If He is scares you than he has already won. He is all talk. Believe
me, Shia muslims all over the world do not feel the same way he does.

PIA777
GO CUBS!!

solarix

Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:23 pm

Ahmadinejad doesn't scare me.
He does make me laugh though.
Bong Hits 4 Jesus

jamesag96

Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:57 pm

Quoting PIA777 (Reply 3):
He is all talk. Believe

That being the case, please tell all of these Muslims as well as all other peace loving Muslims to speak just a wee bit louder.
Why Kate, You're not wearing a bustle. How lewd.

CO7e7

Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:09 pm

What I am scared of though is that our government will be too shy to take action against him until after it's too late

The USA shy of using force ??????????
hahahahahahaha......... laughing 

Read some History Books!

Emirates773ER

Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:14 pm

"The most remarkable aspect of Mr Ahmadinejad's piety is his devotion to the Hidden Imam, the Messiah-like figure of Shia Islam, and the president's belief that his government must prepare the country for his return

Let me inform you that the return of the Hidden Imam (Imam Mehdi) is awaited by all Muslims be it Sunni or Shia. According to the Sunni's he is going to be born as a child whereas according to Shia's he is a relation of Hazart Ali and has been in hiding since Hazart Ali's time.
The Truth is Out There ---- Face It!!!!!

usnseallt82

Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:16 pm

Take a laxative and you'll feel better.  yes 

Until then, this guy scares no one but his own people. He'll get what's coming to him very soon.
Crye me a river

Emirates773ER

Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:24 pm

You are losing it mate, the guy is sitting thousands of miles away from you trying to build a bomb. In reality Osama is a bigger threat to the US than Ahmadinejad, have a glass of wine and watch Fahrenheit 9/11, you will be feeling much better in no time.

PIA777

Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:00 pm

I think Iran's president is trying to over compensate for his lack
of size, on TV he looks around 5 feet tall. I think N. Korea
and Osama are bigger threats right now.

PIA777
GO CUBS!!

QANTASforever

Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:33 pm

Iran is a sensitive issue - that doesn't mean that world leaders should preclude the use of force. The trouble is, no matter what the Iranian President does - US retaliation will be received with indignation. It will create terrorists and add further tension to the relationship between Iran and Israel. Regime change is out of the question in light of Iraq. The US needs to basically shove Iran in the right direction, while maintaining existing institutions and infrastructure.

QFF
Fighting for the glory of the Australian Republic.

jasepl

Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:39 pm

Quoting QANTASFOREVER (Reply 11):
The US needs to basically shove Iran in the right direction

Certainly, QFF. But what exactly is the 'right' direction?

One thing's for sure - this Ahmadinejad isn't a crazy fool. He's a populist president, democratically elected and he's voicing the opinion of what I suspect is the majority of Iranians.

I also suspect the pro-nuclear opinion in Iran isn't a result of any great desire to be armed to the teeth. Rather, it's a reaction to Britain, France, America, India etc etc trying to order Iran around. Who the hell are these countries to demand that Iran not develop nuclear technology when they themselves aren't going to do anything about theirs?

Unless the existing nuclear powers are committed to getting rid of their own nuclear arsenal and technology, they aren't going to be seen as anything but bullies. Which is basically what they are right now. Hypocritical bullies, at that.

That said, I think it's not the smartest move for Iran to spend all that money on nuclear weaponry (if that is indeed what they're spending it on). Just as it was damn stupid for India to do it. And that's because both countries have much bigger issues where that money would have been better spent.

dragogoalie

Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:58 pm

Quoting QANTASFOREVER (Reply 11):
The US needs to basically shove Iran in the right direction, while maintaining existing institutions and infrastructure.

why do we have to do it? We're kinda busy at the moment.
Formerly known as Jap. Srsly. AUSTRALIA: 2 days!

backfire

Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:20 pm

I suspect the next time Iran has its nuclear plant closed, it'll be done at 350ft, in the dark, from a westerly direction.

QANTASforever

Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:48 pm

Quoting Jasepl (Reply 12):
Certainly, QFF. But what exactly is the 'right' direction?

Pacification. Dismantling Iran's nuclear program, getting the President to tone down the rhetoric (I see the irony, don't worry), and in a more long-term sense - promoting secularism and religious tolerance. It won't be easy - and the US will have to employ every covert, diplomatic, back-channel tactic it can muster, but it's worth doing.

Quoting Dragogoalie (Reply 13):

Um, to stabilise the region?

You think that because of Iraq the west can't do anything else - that we're too preoccupied? Ensuring that Israel and Iran don't nuke each other into oblivion is kinda worth the extra effort.

QFF

pbottenb

Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:41 am

Quoting Emirates773ER (Reply 7):
Let me inform you that the return of the Hidden Imam (Imam Mehdi) is awaited by all Muslims be it Sunni or Shia. According to the Sunni's he is going to be born as a child whereas according to Shia's he is a relation of Hazart Ali and has been in hiding since Hazart Ali's time.

Emirates773ER - I was not aware of these beliefs. In the article from the starting post they claim that the belief is that Jesus will also accompany him...very Interesting....sounds very similar to my Christian beliefs....

Anyway, many of the posts here are pooh poohing the prospects of Iran being a problem...OK, I hope you are all right.....but do you think that the Israelis will take the chance and just wait it out until the nutjob goes away?

I have my doubts...

MD-90

Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:53 am

Jeez, don't be such a weenie. We leave him alone, he's not going to mess with us.

Gatorman96

Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:03 am

This guy isn't scary at all. The longer he talks, the more he pisses off the international community. If he ever makes an offensive move, he will get spanked by a coalition. He's is a big talker, but is no real threat.
Cha brro

Emirates773ER

Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:08 am

Quoting Pbottenb (Reply 16):
Emirates773ER - I was not aware of these beliefs. In the article from the starting post they claim that the belief is that Jesus will also accompany him

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahdi

Follow the above link and it will give you a good idea about the coming of Imam Mehdi.

Quoting Pbottenb (Reply 16):
sounds very similar to my Christian beliefs....

Considering the fact that my religion is more or less a continuation of yours, they are rather similar!

PIA777

Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:14 am

Quoting Emirates773ER (Reply 19):
Considering the fact that my religion is more or less a continuation of yours, they are rather similar!

They are very similar. Most of the names are same, we pronounce them
differently like Jesus is "Isa".

PIA777
GO CUBS!!

ConcordeBoy

Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:03 am

Quoting Jamesag96 (Reply 5):
He is all talk. Believe

That being the case, please tell all of these Muslims as well as all other peace loving Muslims to speak just a wee bit louder.

Agree 100%
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

jaysit

Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:24 am

Quoting ConcordeBoy (Reply 21):
Quoting Jamesag96 (Reply 5):
He is all talk. Believe

Agree 100

I suspect that if anyone in Iran spoke out against its insane President, they'd get their head lopped off.
Atheism is Myth Understood.

Boeing Nut

Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:08 am

He's losing credibility even with his allies at this point. Saw this story on the news tonight.
I'm not a real aeronautical engineer, I just play one on Airliners.net.

whitehatter

Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:33 am

Quoting Gatorman96 (Reply 18):
This guy isn't scary at all. The longer he talks, the more he pisses off the international community. If he ever makes an offensive move, he will get spanked by a coalition. He's is a big talker, but is no real threat.

that's about it.

All the Israel stuff is just piss and wind, plus hysteria from the Israeli side.

As the Saudi Foreign Minister said, Iran dare not attack Israel as it would kill Palestinians as well. And that would REALLY cause him problems.

All the outraged commentary is really doing no good whatsoever. The best thing the West could do is deny him publicity, but unfortunately certain elements are using his rants for their own purposes. He's a toothless lion roaring at the moon.
Lead me not into temptation, I can find my own way there...

GDB

Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:07 pm

Well you scare pretty easily then.
No doubt with help from a 'shock horror' dumbed down mass media.

jacobin777

RE: Iran's Pres Ahmadinejad Scares The CR#P Out Of

Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:45 pm

Quoting Jasepl (Reply 12):
he's voicing the opinion of what I suspect is the majority of Iranians.

incorrect, most of the Iranians aren't too crazy about the current leaders in power (president, supreme leaders, ect.).....

"The president is elected for four years and can serve no more than two consecutive terms. The constitution describes him as the second-highest ranking official in the country. He is head of the executive branch of power and is responsible for ensuring the constitution is implemented.

In practice, however, presidential powers are circumscribed by the clerics and conservatives in Iran's power structure, and by the authority of the Supreme Leader. It is the Supreme Leader, not the president, who controls the armed forces and makes decisions on security, defence and major foreign policy issues."

more important....

"Periodic tension between the office of the(Supreme)Leader and the office of the president has often been the source of political instability. It increased during former president reformist Mohammad Khatami's term in office - a reflection of the deeper tensions between religious rule and the democratic aspirations of many Iranians."

edited for source:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/h...iran_power/html/supreme_leader.stm

[Edited 2006-01-17 07:46:36]
"Up the Irons!"

pbottenb

Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:18 pm

Quoting GDB (Reply 25):
Well you scare pretty easily then.
No doubt with help from a 'shock horror' dumbed down mass media.

Quoting WhiteHatter (Reply 24):
that's about it.

All the Israel stuff is just piss and wind, plus hysteria from the Israeli side.

As the Saudi Foreign Minister said, Iran dare not attack Israel as it would kill Palestinians as well. And that would REALLY cause him problems.

All the outraged commentary is really doing no good whatsoever. The best thing the West could do is deny him publicity, but unfortunately certain elements are using his rants for their own purposes. He's a toothless lion roaring at the moon.

This is the kind if euro arrogance that frequently ends up in US forces having to clean up after your ineptitude (Bosnia, Kosovo, Iraq, ..the list goes all the way back to the pirates of Tripoli)....we've been hearing this crap from Europe for over 200 years....you would think that one would learn over time....

Klaus

Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:04 pm

Quoting Pbottenb (Reply 27):
This is the kind if euro arrogance that frequently ends up in US forces having to clean up after your ineptitude

Right now it looks as if you've got your hands quite full trying to clean up after your own arrogant ineptitude in Iraq.

Have a nice day.

Mir

Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:22 pm

We can only hope that we get a true hawk as our next president

I find it hard to imagine a more hawkish president than GWB. I suppose we could throw away diplomacy altogether and just send off the troops when someone has an opinion different to ours, but would that really be a reasonable solution?

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

wukka

Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:31 pm

Quoting Dragogoalie (Reply 13):

I've been working some weird hours lately and haven't been keeping up on things like I should be, but didn't we just go park an entire National Guard wing (something like 75 jets and respective personnel) somewhere over in the vicinity last week?

I might be completely wrong, but I thought I heard it in the background on the news while I was working, but by the time time my brain actually got off of work and started to pay attention, the sound-byte was over.
We can agree to disagree.

flyboy36y

Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:37 pm

I'm not scared of him. What I am scared of though is that our government will be too shy to take action against him until after it's too late because of all of the criticism it has received from both inside and outside our country over the Iraq situation. Those that have criticized the unilateral action that finally resolved the situation in Iraq don't fully realize the negative ramifications of their blatant anti-nationalism.

Or maybe if our goverment had not attacked Iraq in a way that opened itself up to criticism by both Dems and Reps then maybe they wuld not have to be so much on their guard now.

rjpieces

Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:24 am

Quoting QANTASforever (Reply 15):
Ensuring that Israel and Iran don't nuke each other into oblivion is kinda worth the extra effort.

Umm, Israel can take care of themselves. It is in the national interest of the United States, and the entire free world, that Iran does not acquire nuclear weapons. If we do take action on Iran, stopping them from nuking Israel will be low on the list of reasons why (partly because Iran nuking Israel is not likely to happen).
"Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon"

NoUFO

Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:02 am

RJpieces,

What makes you so sure it won't happen? Because Israel has nukes, too? Hopefully you are right, but I wonder if nuclear deterrence as we know it really works in a part of the world hailing suicide killers with religious leaders who believe the 2nd coming (in whatever form) is about to ring at the doorbell anyway.

If military action is taken against the Iranian nuclear plant, then I'm sure the protection of Israel is more then a neglectable part of the equation, the fact that this falls within US and European interests as well notwithstanding.

However, this time we need clear evidence - and inspectors rather than hawks in whatever government.
I support the right to arm bears

wukka

Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:43 am

Quoting NoUFO (Reply 33):
What makes you so sure it won't happen? Because Israel has nukes, too? Hopefully you are right, but I wonder if nuclear deterrence as we know it really works in a part of the world hailing suicide killers with religious leaders who believe the 2nd coming (in whatever form) is about to ring at the doorbell anyway.

I couldn't agree more with your statement. Mutual Assured Destruction worked nicely (for want of a better word) during the cold war. Now with these little factions that are spread all over the place with different ideals and beliefs, I'm wondering how quickly acquired nuclear weaponry wouldn't be used in a save-my-own-ass scenario?

It seems that it's no longer about one large society's threat over another society... more like one maniacal mind with a threat over the rest of the people who just want to go to work tomorrow.
We can agree to disagree.

QANTASforever

Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:05 pm

Quoting RJpieces (Reply 32):
Umm, Israel can take care of themselves.

I know that. I'm certain that any immediate battle would be won by Israel. But this is a conflict that would go further than that. It cries out for international participation. It would be a political hot potato in Europe, it could rally Muslim nations around Iran, it could inflame terrorist groups around the world (not that I for one second would tip-toe around them), and it would involve the United States and its allies.

It's sticky - very very sticky.

QFF