Amy
Topic Author

Deaf Or Blind?

Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:21 am

Would you rather be deaf or blind?

I'd rather be blind. I couldn't live without music, plus I could get one of those cool dogs.
A340-300 - slow, but awesome!

atrude777

RE: Deaf Or Blind?

Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:26 am

well I AM hearing-impaired  Wink

and I absolutely love it, i can still hear and all. Its being blind id rather not be thank you....
Good things come to those who wait, better things come to those who go AFTER it!

Boeing744

Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:26 am

I would rather be deaf. I value my sight much more than my hearing... Loosing your sight would be much worse (and more dangerous) IMO.

jap

Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:28 am

Neither I must admit... but if I had to choose, I guess I would choose blind too, because even if you can't see, you would still be able to touch and feel and get a mental image of what you have in front of you- whereas if you're deaf, you just can't replicate the sounds...

I wouldn't be able to live without music either- my iPod rules my world Big grin
Scandinavian chick with a scandinavian horse- oh yeah! :D

TuffGong

Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:30 am

thats a tough one, i think i'd rather be deaf, I'd much rather see everything and everyone than hear them.
Meet you at the Ol' Yacht club for a pint.

lentigomaligna

Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:39 am

Definitely deaf, I think I could function deaf, I just couldn't watch TV, Movies or Listen to music except with closed captioning but it would certainly suck to be blind and not be able to use the internet, read, see where I'm going, etc. We're a very visual species and I think that vision is ultimately our most important sense. Obviously it's ideal to be neither.

ArmitageShanks

Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:44 am

I'd be deaf. No question!!

You can still do many things with poor hearing, but when blind? Forget about it!!

jap

Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:46 am

Quoting Atrude777 (Reply 1):
well I AM hearing-impaired  Wink

I think she means totally deaf though... you're still able to hear...

Hahaha, Alex doesn't count! *point/laugh*  Silly
Scandinavian chick with a scandinavian horse- oh yeah! :D

atrude777

Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:52 pm

Quoting Jap (Reply 7):

Ass Wink

I have an 80% hearing loss in both ears, my legal term is profoundly Deaf. I wear hearing aids that bring back 40% of my hearing, but without it I am legally Deaf.

so boo Big grin

Alex
Good things come to those who wait, better things come to those who go AFTER it!

September11

Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:54 pm

Look at Helen Keller. She is both blind and deaf. Her life is in the books.

"A deaf person can do anything except hear"

"A blind person can do anything except see"

I am legally deaf. Born profoundly deaf. If I was blind, my life would be in different path.
Airliners.net of the Future

September11

Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:13 pm

ATrude777 (Alex) can speak and hear better than me. I am more "deaf" than him. I am proficient in American Sign Language. I attended the Ohio School for the Deaf and Gallaudet University.

And we have member here who is also deaf (that is ScottysAir). I believe he is profoundly deaf, just like me, and uses American Sign Language. He graduated from Florida School for the Deaf.

I am sure there are few more members here who are deaf. Do not we have members here who are legally blind?

Logan22L

Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:33 pm

Of course, I would choose neither, but the most wonderful things in life to me are the great compositions of the master composers, the works of the jazz masters, and the greats of rock and roll. While blindness would probably hinder my day-to-day efforts much more, I would choose blindness so that I could continue to play music in my local Symphony Orchestra and to listen to great music. A beautiful woman is recognized by a kind word and a gentle touch along the cheek and neck. A beautiful piece of music is lost when deaf.

On a related note: how the HELL did Beethoven compose his Ninth Symphony and all of his later works whilst stone deaf? It truly boggles the mind.
"The deeper you go, the higher you fly. The higher you fly, the deeper you go."

j_hallgren

Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:27 pm

I'd go for the deaf over blind...deaf people can drive...blind can't!
Also, one could kinda "hear" music via the vibrations so you wouldn't be 100% cutoff from that sensation...that's how I understood Beethoven worked in later years...
COBOL - Not a dead language yet!

BCAL

Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:43 pm

Think of it, if you went into a room would you prefer it to be silent and able to see everything, or totally dark and able to hear every sound without knowing its source or if it was real?

I could cope with deafness but not with being blind.
MOL on SRB's latest attack at BA: "It's like a little Chihuahua barking at a dying Labrador. Nobody cares."

PMN

Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:56 pm

I would rather be blind. Absolutely no doubt about it. Music is my life. Without it...Well...I don't even want to think about it...

Blind, definately.

Paul
Edith in his bed, a plane in the rain is humming, the wires in the walls are humming some song - some mysterious song

Kay

Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:04 pm

Quoting September11 (Reply 10):
we have member here who is also deaf (that is ScottysAir). I believe he is profoundly deaf, just like me

September11, why is it that ScottysAir was unable to write proper english sentences? I remember reading a thread explaining that since he used American Sign Language, his english sentences were a direct translation, thus ending up with wrong words in the wrong order. I thought that it was because he was born Deaf and never talked English. But you say that you were born Profoundly Deaf too?

Kay

kiwiandrew

Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:12 pm

Quoting BCAL (Reply 13):
Think of it, if you went into a room would you prefer it to be silent and able to see everything,

one of my friends who has become deaf has told me that he does not live in a silent tranquil world - he has described it as a world of white noise which is a very different thing.

707CMF

Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:30 pm

I don't know what I would rather be...

My fiancee would probably kill me if I became either of two anyway...

Cheers,

KaiGywer
Crew

Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:24 pm

Quoting Kay (Reply 15):
September11, why is it that ScottysAir was unable to write proper english sentences? I remember reading a thread explaining that since he used American Sign Language, his english sentences were a direct translation, thus ending up with wrong words in the wrong order.

It could be that Scotty grew up in a deaf family, while Sept11 grew up in a hearing family. Exposure to English is important in order to learn the English grammar. ASL does not have tenses in the same way English does. An example is "I drove there". In ASL you'd sign "I DRIVE-FINISH THERE I".

There are also other "languages" used by deaf people on the Sign Language continuum. A very informal way is mime. It is mostly used within a family, where a sign might mean a certain thing to everybody in that family, but not to people outside the family. Then comes ASL, which is a proper language with grammar rules and everything. Pidgin Signed English (PSE) is another form of sign language. It is designed to bridge the gap between native ASL speakers, and native English speakers. You use ASL signs, but in English word order. The Rochester Method, or Visible English, is fingerspelling everything. It was invented at the Rochester School for the Deaf (hence the name) and is mostly used there. Cued Speech is the newest form of communication. This is very helpful for people who want to communicte fluently by form of lip reading. Only about 30% of the English language can be read on the lips, however, by use of cued speech, you can accomplish just about 100% reception. There are eight handshapes in four locations, and by combining lip reading with handshape and location, you know what word is being said.

Hope this cleared up a little of your questions. Oh, and I'd choose deaf over blind.
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

skidmarks

Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:35 pm

Pardon? Big grin

Andy  old 
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional

ABfemme

Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:06 am

Quoting TuffGong (Reply 4):
thats a tough one, i think i'd rather be deaf, I'd much rather see everything and everyone than hear them.

Quoting BCAL (Reply 13):
could cope with deafness but not with being blind.

My thoughts exactly - not being able to see fills me with terror

Claire
Women do not have hot flushes, they have power surges

707CMF

Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:21 pm

More seriously, and even though I'd rather be none, I would say blind. (those who know me will say I am partial).

You might not be able to drive when blind, but on a social side, blind people are much less isolated than deaf people. Contrary to a common belief, they can use the Internet (with difficulties I admit, but with a braille tablet, they do it quite easily). A blind person will interact quite normally with other people, while a deaf person will usually need to use sign language with people who know the sign language (granted, they might be able to read lips and speak, but not with the fluidity of a blind person).

A blind person is able to listen to the radio, to 'watch' TV. (heck, when I watch a TV show, I am usually doing something else, so I could not say I 'watch' TV more than I listen to it. However, I would miss a lot listening to the radio.

A deaf person cannot use a standard ring bell for his house, why a blind person has no problem with that.

Yes, I am partial, I know quite a few blind/visually impaired people. If you do not see them with their white stick, you might spend an evening with them without even noticing they are disabled. I don't know any deaf people who could claim that.

Regards,

UTA_flyinghigh

Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:55 pm

I would rather be deaf as this can be corrected quite easily with a hearing aid and does not impair too much your daily life.

I I were deaf i would have no problem in indulging in my day-to-day activities/pastimes i.e operating motor vehicles at prohibited speeds, cooking mean dishes, doing crossovers on fools on the ball court, taking aircraft pictures, etc...

All the above are difficult if not impossible to do while blind.

UTA  checkeredflag 
Fly to live, live to fly - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum, BMI Diamond Club Gold, Emirates Skywards

707CMF

Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:58 pm

Cooking mean dishes and taking aircraft pictures is actually not impossible to do while blind.

Someday, I should upload on A.net some aircraft pictures taken by a blind person I know... That would be fun !!!

Cheers,

UTA_flyinghigh

Thu Jan 19, 2006 7:01 pm

I also forgot, how can one play GT4 on the PS2 when blind ?

UTA  checkeredflag 
Fly to live, live to fly - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum, BMI Diamond Club Gold, Emirates Skywards

SmithAir747

Thu Jan 19, 2006 7:15 pm

I am deaf and legally blind.

I have no middle or outer ears or ear canals on either side, so I am deaf. This is due to ear abnormalities secondary to Treacher Collins syndrome. I have used bone-conduction hearing aids ever since I was 3. I still have all my old hearing aids. I used to wear big, bulky devices consisting of a large battery pack (worn on the body) connected by a cord to a headband-mounted vibrator (which rested behind where my ears should have been). Later I used a device with a metal plate in my left temple, on which rested a magnetic coil connected by cord to a body-worn battery pack (even bigger, eating up 2 AA batteries every week). All my corded hearing aids suffered from a major problem: Static caused by corrosion of the cords.

Finally, three years ago, I got my BAHA (Bone-Anchored Hearing Aid), made by Entific Medical Systems ( http://www.entific.com ). There is a small screw in the bone of my right temple, to which attaches a tiny box with a size 13 hearing aid battery. This vibrates the bone (via the screw) so I can hear. This device is so much better than my previous bulky devices, and I can actually localise sounds with it now. It is so much clearer.

I am a musician ever since early childhood despite my deafness--a pianist, guitarist, and now a self-taught violinist.

As for my legal blindness, I lost the vision in my right eye during one early surgery (at age 7 or 8) where they were using wires to attach ribs to my skull to make cheekbones (zygomatic arches) and eye sockets (also missing). I have tested worse than 20/200. Even eye patches and prescription eyeglasses, when I was a child, could not save the eye. So, I see with one eye (the left)--which amazingly compensates for the lost eye!

Despite my blindness in my right eye, I am an artist and a photographer.

SmithAir747
I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made... (Psalm 139:14)

KevinL1011

Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:11 pm

Throw in Dumb and you'll sure play a mean pinball.
474218, Carl, You will be missed.

rodge

Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:27 pm

Quoting Amy (Thread starter):

Deaf, then I would not have to listen to her at home nagging all the time.  Smile
Smile

BNE

Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:22 pm

Neither.

Quoting 707CMF (Reply 21):
You might not be able to drive when blind, but on a social side, blind people are much less isolated than deaf people

While the deaf person might be able to drive they won't be able to communicate once they get there, the blind person won't really go anywhere; so they are going to be isolated from the start. During social situations hearing as well as seeing are almost as important, it would be hard to find a group of people that you wish to talk to in a large group. Also recognising people if you are only hearing them could also be a potential problem.

Quoting UTA_flyinghigh (Reply 24):
I also forgot, how can one play GT4 on the PS2 when blind ?

Badly  silly 

Quoting 707CMF (Reply 17):

What happened to the vows; death do us part.  brokenheart 
Why fly non stop when you can connect

707CMF

Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:52 pm

Quoting BNE (Reply 28):
While the deaf person might be able to drive they won't be able to communicate once they get there, the blind person won't really go anywhere;

Although the blind person cannot drive, that does not mean she cannot get around. Either by public transportation, by feet... White canes and dogs exist for that purpose. Heck, I even know of a few blind aircraft pilots. (and yes, they do the landing. With a FI onboard, but they do handle the stick).

Quoting BNE (Reply 28):
Also recognising people if you are only hearing them could also be a potential problem.

Don't worry, they are quite used to doing that. And even f it is a bit more difficult, a blind person will always fit better in a conversation than a deaf person.

Quoting BNE (Reply 28):

Quoting 707CMF (Reply 17):

What happened to the vows; death do us part. brokenheart

Yeah, the problem is she's quite intolerant in regards to disabilities...

Cheers,

atrude777

Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:39 am

You might not be able to drive when blind, but on a social side, blind people are much less isolated than deaf people. Contrary to a common belief, they can use the Internet (with difficulties I admit, but with a braille tablet, they do it quite easily). A blind person will interact quite normally with other people, while a deaf person will usually need to use sign language with people who know the sign language (granted, they might be able to read lips and speak, but not with the fluidity of a blind person).

Speaking as a deaf person with 80% hearing loss I can counter every single thing you said...

I am the most talkative person people have known, in other words, I just don't shut up. I read lips and speak extremely well to the point people swear I am MAKING UP being deaf Big grin. I have never used Sign Language nor do I want to, but I might just to help me in the future to interact with other deaf people who aren't as well off as I am. I am a huge conversationalist hehe.

A blind person is able to listen to the radio, to 'watch' TV. (heck, when I watch a TV show, I am usually doing something else, so I could not say I 'watch' TV more than I listen to it. However, I would miss a lot listening to the radio.

I can listen to the radio, and I often do, i may not pick up what the DJ is saying, but when a song I am familair with comes on, i recognize it and will sing along with it. I watch tv, and i can visually see it, better then a blind person can, and can hear it quite well too, i also use text on the tv too. So tv does wonders for me when I watch it.

A deaf person cannot use a standard ring bell for his house, why a blind person has no problem with that.

I have a doorbell , regular one at my house and can hear it quite well from every position in the house when someone rings it.

I can talk on my cell phone too, yes using my hearing aids, I dont know how it is done but it IS done. I am not 100% on the cell, but most hearing people are also not 100% either.

I love being deaf, I really do. Yes there are set backs, where I will never be able to fly commercially as a pilot, and yes i know deaf pilots fly, but I am not interested in that stuff, i either fly a 747, or I don't  Smile For the most part though, I was meant to live this way and I have been doing just fine. Would I go back to hearing if I had the chance? I honestly do not know.

Alex

KaiGywer
Crew

Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:58 am

Quoting 707CMF (Reply 29):
Yeah, the problem is she's quite intolerant in regards to disabilities...

Many (most?) Deaf do not look at deafness as a disability, but rather a gift.
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

atrude777

Fri Jan 20, 2006 4:19 am

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 31):

Many (most?) Deaf do not look at deafness as a disability, but rather a gift.

I consider it as a disability, not a gift.

vaporlock

Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:59 am

Personally, I value my sight and hearing and I wouldn't want to have to live without either of them.....but, if I had to I would prefer to be deaf.

I think sight is so much more important in every day life....not that hearing isn't. That's just how I feel about me....
Phyllis  bouncy 

Gilligan

Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:59 am

My wife says I am already deaf!  cheerful 
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, and a road that goes forever, I'm going to Texas!

September11

Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:36 pm

Deafness as a disability or as a gift?

That depends.

I know many pure "Deaf" families -- deaf grandparents, deaf parents, and deaf children -- that are part of deaf heritage. Their "deaf" genes pass on and never stop. With that, they usually have strong background in deaf culture.

That is a gift, in my honest opinion.

I was not raised by a deaf family. I am the only one who is deaf in my family, unfortunately.

Falcon84

Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:42 pm

I'm almost completely deaf in my left ear, and have some hearing loss in my right.

Plus I have very bad vision in my left eye, which I'm hoping to get corrected with Lasik this year.

I've always been without hearing a lot, so I think I'd rather keep my sight. Especially since when I'm a really old man-30/40 years from now, I'll probably be deaf anyway.
Work Right, Fly Hard

PIA777

Fri Jan 20, 2006 3:28 pm

Quoting Amy (Thread starter):

I'd rather be blind. I couldn't live without music, plus I could get one of those cool dogs.

Becareful of what you ask for, you might get it. I would want neither!!!
If you are asking which is worse, I would say Blindness. A deaf person
can look at pretty girls and watch sports.

PIA777
GO CUBS!!

jafa39

Fri Jan 20, 2006 4:05 pm

I'm not a dog person so i would have to choose deaf. My daughter has 100% hearing loss in one ear, but it doesn't seem to hold her back any but looking at her boyf I wonder about her sight!!
We, the undersigned, do hereby consent.....