MSYtristar
Topic Author

God I Love Seafood

Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:04 am

I had some really good, spicy boiled Crawfish for lunch today with a cup of seafood Gumbo. Mmm mmm good. And some people I know don't even like seafood...such as my friend Alyssa. She was in for quite a shock a few years back when she came down here for a visit and of course I took her to some classic, old school, low key seafood joints in N.O. She was like "why do you guys eat so much seafood?" Hello! South Louisiana has some of the best seafood in the world....crabs, shrimp, oysters, crawfish, catfish...it's all good.

God bless the wonderful marine creatures that taste so good on French bread!!!

theCoz

RE: God I Love Seafood

Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:08 am

Quoting MSYtristar (Thread starter):

God bless the wonderful marine creatures that taste so good on French bread!!!

Whitby, Yorkshire fish and chips for me. Yum.

kiwiandrew

Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:10 am

kind of ironic thread title given the prohibitions on eating shellfish in Leviticus  Wink

BR076

Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:11 am

Only smoked lobster for me  Wink

ú

kiwiandrew

Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:14 am

Quoting BR076 (Reply 3):
Only smoked lobster for me

great photo ... was it taken specifically for this thread ... or was there some deeper metaphysical reason for it .... or were you just hammered out of your skull when you took it  Wink

ANCFlyer

Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:20 am

God I Love Seafood

Crawfish

vomit  Man, Crawfish ain't seafood, them's creekbed cockroaches!

wink 

I never learned to enjoy eating those things . . . . sure looks good but that whole "Suck the Head" thing just doesn't make it with me.

Want some seafood - c'mon up . . . we'll grill some Halibut . . . or Salmon . . .
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

irelayer

Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:21 am

Quoting Kiwiandrew (Reply 4):
great photo ... was it taken specifically for this thread ... or was there some deeper metaphysical reason for it .... or were you just hammered out of your skull when you took it Wink

Looks photoshopped to me.

-IR

RobertNL070

Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:23 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 5):
we'll grill some Halibut . . . or Salmon . . .

too right there  yummy  ...or Haddock

Regards, Robert  bouncy 
Youth is a gift of nature. Age is a work of art.

cfcuq

Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:26 am

we'll grill some Halibut . . . or Salmon

What ??? !!! No Arctic Char there, Pep?  Wow!

nhgrafx

Sun Jan 22, 2006 8:00 am

Quoting IRelayer (Reply 6):
Looks photoshopped to me.

Nah thats real. There are no visibly obvious or subtle signs anywhere that it was altered.

As for me and seafood, I like tuna, crab, and shrimp.
Is it weird I have a RemoveBeforeFlight pitot cover on my car rear view mirror?

aaflt1871

Sun Jan 22, 2006 8:04 am

Nothing beats Maryland Blue Crab, steamed with old bay seasoning.
Where did everybody go?

mhodgson

Sun Jan 22, 2006 8:42 am

I had a pescatore pizza tonight. Tuna, prawns, anchovies. Goregeous!

I love seafood; Morecambe Bay shrimps are the best. By Royal Appointment to HM Queen Elizabeth, so they can't be bad...  Smile
No trees were harmed by this message. However, several million electrons were terribly inconvenienced

bhmbaglock

Sun Jan 22, 2006 9:24 am

ure looks good but that whole "Suck the Head" thing just doesn't make it with me.

Don't forget the "Eat the Tail" part. That's the reward for sucking the head! Nothing better than a good crawfish boil with potatoes and corn and super spicey.

They may be bugs but they're damn tasty as are lobster, shrimp, and the best one of them all, the Morton Bay Bug!
Where are all of my respected members going?

aloges

Sun Jan 22, 2006 9:54 am

Man, Crawfish ain't seafood, them's creekbed cockroaches!

I love most things that come out of the sea; blue mussels, brown crabs ("Knieper" in low German), shrimps, salmon and calamari in particular. Halibut, herring, tuna and codfish are quite edible, too... as are lots of fresh water fish.

Good thing I'm pretty full right now, if else I'd blame MSYtristar for my hunger!

[Edited 2006-01-22 02:12:56]
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

fxramper

Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:07 am

If if anyone on this thread says Red Lobster is good eating...I kill you!  bouncy 

Nancy

Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:13 am

I love seafood - crab cakes are actually my favorite. However, as much as I love lobster, I am not eating that icky green part - It is not a delicacy!. Yuck.

prosa

Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:19 am

Quoting Nancy (Reply 15):
However, as much as I love lobster, I am not eating that icky green part - It is not a delicacy!. Yuck.

The liver, or "tomalley." I don't like it much either, though some people think it's delicious.
The roe, or "coral," actually is a delicacy.
"Let me think about it" = the coward's way of saying "no"

ANCFlyer

Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:21 am

Quoting CFCUQ (Reply 8):

What ??? !!! No Arctic Char there, Pep?

Nope, we can grill some Walrus Steaks . . . that's "seafood" isn't it?

I really do like all manner of seafood . . . shucks, I live in Alaska - can't get any better than that . . . I simply can't get past the crawfish thing.

Quoting BHMBAGLOCK (Reply 12):
Nothing better than a good crawfish boil with potatoes and corn and super spicey.

I was in New Orleans in the late 90s during the "Crawfish Festival" . . . I managed to survive just eating 'regular' food. But I did try the crawfish boil later that weekend. I couldn't resist . . . some friends had a huge 50 gallon cooler filled with a fresh crawfish boil . . . they brought it to where we were (opposite side of Lake Ponchartrain at a State Park - can't remember the name) - in a Blackhawk  biggrin  . . . what the hell, the chopper had to come out there anyway . . . the potatoes, the corn, everything was awesome - just can't get past the crawfish.  cry 

Quoting Nancy (Reply 15):
crab cakes are actually my favorite

Yes they are top notch . . . wanna nice twist, substitute crumbled steamed halibut for the crab . . .
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

SYRGuy

Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:25 am

The best seafood in my opinion lies along the northeastern corridor. On up into Boston and Maine.
"My offer is this......Nothing, not even the fee for the gaming license"

ABfemme

Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:57 am

Yup I could live on seafood - tiger prawns and crab..................yummy
Women do not have hot flushes, they have power surges

Matt72033

Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:11 pm

i'll only eat seafood if its in batter!  Smile

Roger136913

Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:29 pm

Fried Haddock or scallops yummy!!!!

RODOL

Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:47 am

I don't know if you yanks get Rick Stein on your side of the pond, but he is far and away my favourite tv chef, his enthusiasm for seafood is infectious. He runs a seafood restaurant in Padstow, Cornwall.

SWA TPA

Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:24 am

Want some seafood - c'mon up . . . we'll grill some Halibut . . . or Salmon . . .

Drool! Now thats what I am talking about! I have always wanted to go visit Alaska anyways......
I really love Coho Salmon (I think that is what they are called). Basically it is wild caught, cold water salmon. Not this color enhanced farm raised crap they mostly sell down here in Florida. I love to grill it on a cedar wood plank. Oh YUM!

About 9 years ago I went to MSY with a friend and he took me to a restaurant, a little hole in the wall, near the end of one of MSY's runways. Him and his whole family gorged on crawfish and turtle soup (GASP!). I ended up with a grilled cheese sandwich. They all thought that was hilarious! I just cannot get past how gross the crawfish look inside not to mention sucking them out! Shudder.....
My husband loves them so I do cook them up on occasion for him but I sure as heck wont touch them! LOL!
I also despise lobster! I think I am about the only female in the world who does not like the stuff. I have tried lobster time and time again at all kinds of restaurants from Red Lobster (I know, I know, they suck) to Charlies Steak House (a very expensive, uppity place here in Tampa and a few other cities that has the best steak and food ANYWHERE!) I even bought one (I had them kill the poor thing, no way I could it!) and cooked it up myself for my husband! Still didnt like it.
Just last week we went to Disney and stayed at the Wilderness hotel thing, anyways we ate at a restaurant near Planet Hollywood (it was a huge floating boat restaurant, I forget what it was called) and my husband had some lobster that was from Australia, again, as usual, I tried a bite, WHOA! Wait a minute! Whats this?! I found a lobster I might actually be able to eat! The waiter said this kind of Australian lobster is the only kind he liked too! Now where can I find Australian lobster in Tampa? Sigh.
As far as seafood goes, my favorite thing in the world is Alaskan King Crab legs!! Oh I can go to town on that stuff!

SWA TPA
I believe I can fly.....

Tom in NO

Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:59 am

Quoting SWA TPA (Reply 23):
About 9 years ago I went to MSY with a friend and he took me to a restaurant, a little hole in the wall, near the end of one of MSY's runways. Him and his whole family gorged on crawfish and turtle soup (GASP!).

Just noticed this thread.....sounds like you visited Harbor Seafood on Williams Blvd just north of the airport. Hate the wait, but love the food!
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

ORFflyer

Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:00 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 17):
in a Blackhawk

bigthumbsup 

I eat fresh Maine lobster a couple times a year, delivered from either an F-18, or F-14. They call them "lobster runs" where they go on training flights out of NTU. Up in the morning, back early afternoon, steamer pot(s) for dinner. Can't beat it!! Big grin  Big grin

AeroWesty

Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:32 am

I've never really understood how people can eat much seafood around Louisiana, what with all the garbage that's pumped into the Mississippi River.

Now, Red Lobster, that's good eatin'!  Smile
International Homo of Mystery