rossbaku

Airline Jobs And RAF

Mon Jan 23, 2006 2:16 am

Hey guys,

I'm a dilemma. Can someone please clarify the following points to me? I'll firstly explain my background:

I have 8 Standard Grade Qualifications at Credit level 1 in:

Mathematics, English, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, French, Modern Studies and Computing Studies.

I am currently studying 5 Highers in:

Physics, English, Mathematics, Chemistry and Computing Studies.

What I want to know is that if I applied to be a pilot in the RAF flying Hercules etc. would I be siphoned out because my eyesight is not 20/20?

Also, is the minimum age for airlines employing you into any job 19?

Many thanks for help guys!

RossBaku  Silly

saintsman

RE: Airline Jobs And RAF

Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:42 am

I've seen plenty of pilots with glasses (and some who need them).

Don't worry about it. Call you local careers office and make an appointment.

Matt72033

Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:25 am

Quoting Rossbaku (Thread starter):
What I want to know is that if I applied to be a pilot in the RAF flying Hercules etc. would I be siphoned out because my eyesight is not 20/20?

yes most probably!

Quoting Rossbaku (Thread starter):
Also, is the minimum age for airlines employing you into any job 19?

no....not at all!

TheSorcerer

Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:50 am

There was a careers fair at my school a couple of months ago and the recruiter there from the RAF said that they get 1000s of applications each year (applying to be pilots) and only 30-50 people are accepted each year. She said that they're not looking for reason to hire you but looking for reasons not to hire you. It's extremely difficult to get in and your eyesight would most likely be a reason for rejection.
Good luck with your Highers btw, I'm doing my standard grades in May.
Dominic
ALITALIA,All Landings In Torino, All Luggage In Athens ;)

BDKLEZ

Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:58 am

I've posted link below which may interest you. It's the RAF Careers website which goes into the sort of detail I think you're after. Best of luck!  bigthumbsup 

http://www.rafcareers.com/
Trespassers will be shot; survivors will be shot again!

rossbaku

Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:06 am

Quoting BDKLEZ (Reply 4):
I've posted link below which may interest you. It's the RAF Careers website which goes into the sort of detail I think you're after. Best of luck!

http://www.rafcareers.com/

Hey thanks for the link. I've tried there beforehand and it does seem vague, as it states that eyesight tests are carried out but does not mention whether this is to determine 20/20 vision or something else.

Thanks everyone else who has provided insight so far!

RossBaku  Silly

DrP

Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:40 am

You might be better off trying the Army Air Corps, they are less picky about eyesight - I know from experience! The RAF will find almost any excuse to decline you the opportunity to be a pilot for them - including having arms "6mm too short" !!  Sad They might offer you Navigator instead if you'd be interested in it?  Smile
My pony plays the mamba . .

fbgdavidson

Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:06 am

I looked into this a few years back...

Are you going to University? I can certainly recommend applying for University Air Squadron, I did it for my first 18months of Uni and had a great time before finally dropping off the radar so to speak.

The year I applied there were close to 200 applicants across three Universities. Following siphoning by medicals, interviews and second interviews I was one of the 30 or so taken on full time. Usually around 15 of those people were taken on into their second year in the UAS, I was a little unlucky and just 10 from my year went into the second year. As it happened I wasn't in the best 15 anyways. After further selection and entry into Officer Air Crew Selection College you can expect to serve at least a short term commission in the RAF of 8yrs.

I am sure people here can give more info on the other route but if you want to do it yourself and become a pilot, then you may well have to fund it yourself. I went to a conference at the Renaissance Hotel at Heathrow in about March time and a guy who works did a rather good seminar. He basically said it'd cost 80,000 GBP self funded, and your chance of being hired are slim. He said he was at flight school at Prestwick and CX called and said they were interested in their best two students. The following week he was in HKG flying 747s into Kai Tak!!
"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey