SFOMEX
Topic Author

First Benedict XVI Encyclical Letter.

Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:39 am

His Holiness Benedict XVI has published hid first important teaching. Against what many critics thought, it wasn't a condemn or denunciation of the many evils in the world. His first encyclical is about LOVE.

http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/be..._20051225_deus-caritas-est_en.html

"In a world where the name of God is sometimes associated with vengeance or even a duty of hatred and violence, this message is both timely and significant. For this reason, I wish in my first Encyclical to speak of the love which God lavishes upon us and which we in turn must share with others."

"Love is the light--and in the end, the only light--that can always illuminate a world grown dim and give us the courage needed to keep living and working. Love is possible, and we are able to practise it because we are created in the image of God. To experience love and in this way to cause the light of God to enter into the world--this is the invitation I would like to extend with the present Encyclical."
The only thing worst than the GOP is the Democratic Party, think about it!

Thorben

RE: First Benedict XVI Encyclical Letter.

Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:29 pm

I'll print it out and read it. I'm also reading one of his books. He has a good style of writing. Is anybody else going to read the encyclica? A discussion about it is probably more interesting than most a.net topics.
France 1789; Eastern Germany 1989; Tunisia 2011; Egypt 2011

beowulf

Thu Jan 26, 2006 6:19 pm

Quoting Thorben (Reply 1):
A discussion about it is probably more interesting than most a.net topics.

I agree, but do you expect a civilized discussion to take place here?  wink 

md80fanatic

Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:23 am

At first I was unsure about Benedict....but so far I have been proven wrong. I think the man has hit the nail directly on the head with his first Encyclical. Kudos to him.  yes 

TACAA320

Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:25 am

Is anybody else going to read the encyclica?

I will.

Quoting Beowulf (Reply 2):

I agree, but do you expect a civilized discussion to take place here?

I don't.
'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind'. Albert Einstein

DrDeke

Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:44 am

Is anybody else going to read the encyclica?

I took a very brief look at it yesterday when this thread was first posted, and it struck me as having a certain preachy/lecturing tone to it.

Now, since it is the Pope writing, I daresay that a "preachy" tone is not necessarily inappropriate. However, I must say that it was a bit off-putting. Who is he or anyone else to lecture me on how to live my life?

On the other hand, out of interest and to see whether I agree with what he says, I do intend to read the rest of it, or at least the bulk of it, today.

-DrDeke
If you don't want it known, don't say it on a phone.

TACAA320

Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:50 am

Quoting DrDeke (Reply 5):
Who is he or anyone else to lecture me on how to live my life?

As far as I know, nobody has such intention.
'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind'. Albert Einstein

DrDeke

Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:22 am

Quoting TACAA320 (Reply 6):
As far as I know, nobody has such intention.

Well, like I said, I have not read the bulk of it yet. But my skimming of the text yesterday, whether warranted or not, did give me that impression. That's all I meant to say (for now).

-DrDeke
If you don't want it known, don't say it on a phone.

babybus

Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:30 am

He's a top bloke and it's a shame he's not 15 years younger so he can do his stuff for longer.

I'm his number 1 fan.  yes 
and with that..cabin crew, seats for landing please.

TheSonntag

Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:47 am

I am extremely surprised by him so far... He was always said to be THE hardliner in the Vatican, something he certainly also was, but at the same time I guess also that he is one of the most intelligent people we have.

Anyway, he seems to "rule" much more moderately than I would have thought, so my initial concerns were not justified so far.

ctbarnes

Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:07 am

I'll be reading it too. Having read some of his other stuff my guess is most will be dense theological argument rather than doctrinaire pronouncement.

Quoting DrDeke (Reply 5):
Who is he or anyone else to lecture me on how to live my life?

Obviously you've never been married...  Wink

Charles, SJ
The customer isn't a moron, she is your wife -David Ogilvy