whitehatter

The Axis Of Homophobia

Thu Jan 26, 2006 4:36 pm

Interesting little story...

http://uk.gay.com/headlines/9523

In a vote as to whether two lesbian and gay groups should join the UN’s Economic and Social Council, the US joined Iran, Zimbabwe, China, Cameroon and Egypt in blocking the groups. Strange bedfellows indeed...
Lead me not into temptation, I can find my own way there...

jafa39

RE: The Axis Of Homophobia

Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:03 pm

Quoting WhiteHatter (Thread starter):
the US joined Iran, Zimbabwe, China, Cameroon and Egypt in blocking the groups

Three words W....T....F???????
We, the undersigned, do hereby consent.....

BR076

Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:08 pm

The land of the free, right  Yeah sure
ú

jafa39

Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:11 pm

Quoting BR076 (Reply 2):
The land of the free, right

BUT if you change the punctuation..

"The land of the free right". Now that's more like the reality.  Wink
We, the undersigned, do hereby consent.....

APFPilot1985

Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:13 pm

are you guys having fun with your little american CJ?
Stand Up and Be Counted Visit Site Related to Voice your opinion

Bofredrik

Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:14 pm

It is to much about gay and gay rights. 1-2 % of the population in any country is homosexual. But the gay lobbyist have a much larger voice. And that is not real democracy when small but strong groups takes over the agenda.

Doona

Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:15 pm

So can we safely say now that the US is as fucked up as those other countries?  duck 

Cheers
Mats
Sure, we're concerned for our lives. Just not as concerned as saving 9 bucks on a roundtrip to Ft. Myers.

N1120A

Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:22 pm

Quoting Bofredrik (Reply 5):
1-2 % of the population in any country is homosexual.

Actually, it is more like 10%
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

KevinL1011

Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:31 pm

In my 15 years of independent business ownership, I find Gays and Lesbians typically (i'm going to generalize here) more financially responsible, better organized and better educated (in general) than the average client. The UN can only benefit.

My only "homophobic" moment was in 1978 at a "New York Dolls" concert at the Hollywood Palladium. I went alone and got "hit on" by a couple of guys and I didn't know how to react. I wound up asking a lesbian couple if I could sit with them to appear straight (which I am). They got a chuckle out of it and joked THEY didn't want to appear straight! Later, I offered to buy a round of drinks but they made it clear that was where they drew the line. I respected that.
474218, Carl, You will be missed.

Bofredrik

Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:35 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 7):

No. People who ONLY have sex with people of the same sex is 1-2 % of the population.

A US survey of more than 10,000 persons by the National Center for Health Statistics indicates that homosexuals and bisexuals combined amount to approximately 1.5 percent of the population (in the USA).

whitehatter

Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:40 pm

Quoting APFPilot1985 (Reply 4):
are you guys having fun with your little american CJ?

nothing worth saying?

No answer?

Thought not. If in doubt, make a cheap shot. How very Karl Rove of you. Unfortunately it doesn't hide the truth, does it?
Lead me not into temptation, I can find my own way there...

We're Nuts

Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:43 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 7):
1-2 % of the population in any country is homosexual.

Both numbers are likely incorrect. The Kinsey report which "established" the 10% figure in the 1940's used very liberals terms in questioning, whereas the more recent Guttmacher study which yielded the 1.1% number used ridiculously strict terms. The effect was that under Kinsey, if you had ever engaged in sexual contact with a person of the same sex, you were counted as "homosexual", whereas with Guttmacher the opposite was the case. The truth, naturally, is somewhere in-between.

And that is not real democracy when small but strong groups takes over the agenda.

The purpose of a democracy is to protect the rights of the minorities. It is actually a very detrimental system for the goals of the majority, but that's why we picked it - by 1789 we were all sick of being dominated.
Dear moderators: No.

MD-90

Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:46 pm

So who else voted against the inclusion of those two groups? I'll bet it wasn't just those six nations. Seems like gay.com wanted to put their spin on it to make it look especially bad.

Despite receiving some support initially, the vote blocked the groups joining.

So, out of 191 voting member states, six were able to vote down the proposal. Just six, right? Heaven forbid that we ever agree with Iran about anything, eh?

N1120A

Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:50 pm

Quoting Bofredrik (Reply 9):
A US survey of more than 10,000 persons by the National Center for Health Statistics indicates that homosexuals and bisexuals combined amount to approximately 1.5 percent of the population (in the USA).

Which was completely skewed and false. Honestly Bofredrik, I expect more from you
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

APFPilot1985

Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:50 pm

Quoting WhiteHatter (Reply 10):
Thought not. If in doubt, make a cheap shot. How very Karl Rove of you. Unfortunately it doesn't hide the truth, does it?

Did you read what I wrote about it in your other thread? Go do that and then come back and apologize.

I can't find anything else about this anywhere on the web including the UN's website. Can you provide another source Whitehatter?

[Edited 2006-01-26 09:53:54]

irelayer

Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:56 pm

It doesn't surprise me. Don't say "the US" though. Use the term "The Bush Administration". There are parts of the US that are very overtly homophobic and parts that are neutral or even pro-homo. Same with almost every other country, except on a larger scale.

Despite what a lot of people may think, the US is a pretty liberal country compared with almost every other nation on the planet. Sometimes a few loudmouths will pretend to represent the majority and drown out all of the other voices, but rest assured the US is not as f***ed up in this area as you may have assumed reading the news.

-IR

Bofredrik

Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:58 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 13):
Which was completely skewed and false. Honestly Bofredrik, I expect more from you

Sorry! That survey was not approved by the Gay groups...

We can take Canada & Australia then...

CANADA
1.3% of men and 0.7% of women considered themselves homosexual.
0.9% of women, compared with 0.6% of men, said they were bisexual.
Source: Canadian Community Health Survey, June 2004. A Canadian government survey of 83,000 people. Ref: Statistics Canada.

Australia
Nationwide figure - 1.2% of adults identify as homosexual or lesbian.
* 1.6% of adult men identified as homosexual and 0.8% of women as lesbian.
* 1.4% of women and 0.9% of men said they were bisexual.
Source: The 2003 'Sex in Australia' survey of 20,000 people, with a special weighting to Sydney's homosexual centre. Conducted by the Australian Research Centre in Sex, Health & Society (ARCSHS) at La Trobe University. Published in Australian & NZ Journal of Public Health, Vol 27 No 2 2003 ISSN 1326 0200.

APFPilot1985

Thu Jan 26, 2006 6:01 pm

Funny how you leave all of this out
(fair use from wikipedia; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interna...n_and_Gay_Association"Controversy and loss of UN consultative status)

In the summer of 1993 the ILGA gained consultative status on the UN Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC) as a Non-Governmental-Organization, joining 3,000 organisations throughout the world. However, that status was suspended in 1994 after a campaign led by Jesse Helms focussing on NAMBLA's membership in ILGA. ILGA members voted 214-30 to expel three pedophile groups but despite this was not able to convince the UN that it had no member organisations that promoted pedophilia.
ILGA had passed a resolution in 1985 which stated that "young people have the right to sexual and social self-determination and that age of consent laws often operate to oppress and not to protect." In spite of this apparent agreement with NAMBLA on the age of consent issue just nine years before, ILGA, by a vote of 214-30 expelled NAMBLA and two other groups (MARTIJN and Project Truth) in early 1994 because they were judged to be "groups whose predominant aim is to support or promote pedophilia." The UN removed ILGA's consultative status "based on concerns raised about its member organizations or subsidiaries that promoted or condoned paedophilia". [3]
ILGA applied to have its consultative status reinstated in 2000 [4], but on 30 April 2002 the United Nations' Economic & Social Council voted 29-17 not to grant this application. [5] The Washington Times reported that opponents blocked ILGA's attempt to regain consultative status because the association had not provided sufficient evidence that it had eliminated NAMBLA and the other pedophile groups from its membership roster, ILGA having refused to provide UN officials with a list of its member organizations. ILGA justified keeping its membership secret on the grounds that, in many countries, homosexual activity is still criminalised and such a list would identify its groups and put them in danger. [6]

ArmitageShanks

Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:07 pm

There is no way in hell 10% of the American population is truly homosexual.

Nordair

Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:08 pm

n a vote as to whether two lesbian and gay groups should join the UN’s Economic and Social Council, the US joined Iran, Zimbabwe, China, Cameroon and Egypt in blocking the groups

Somewhere in Cleveland someone is doing a happy dance.  Smile
"It is never legitimate to use the words of scripture to promote a loveless agenda." - Right Rev. Dr. Peter Short

AeroWesty

Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:29 pm

And that is not real democracy when small but strong groups takes over the agenda.

Name one democracy on planet earth. (I know, the U.S. will come to mind, maybe Germany and France, but they're all republics.)

Quoting ArmitageShanks (Reply 18):

And there is no way that so many would get their fanny in a baws over 1.5% of the population, either.
International Homo of Mystery

Pe@rson

Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:39 pm

US joined Iran, Zimbabwe, China, Cameroon and Egypt in blocking the groups.

Just like the US executes a number of people just like Saudi Arabia and China...  Smile
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

frequentflyer

Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:50 pm

Is that an abstract concept or a wish?

Open your eyes a bit.
Take off and live

halls120

Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:09 pm

Do any of the people here who are complaining about the US action to block this particular group have a comment about the following?

"The UN removed ILGA's consultative status "based on concerns raised about its member organizations or subsidiaries that promoted or condoned paedophilia". [3] ILGA applied to have its consultative status reinstated in 2000 [4], but on 30 April 2002 the United Nations' Economic & Social Council voted 29-17 not to grant this application. [5] The Washington Times reported that opponents blocked ILGA's attempt to regain consultative status because the association had not provided sufficient evidence that it had eliminated NAMBLA and the other pedophile groups from its membership roster, ILGA having refused to provide UN officials with a list of its member organizations."

The reason I ask is that I was just about to join the "what a stupid move by the US" crowd when I read this, because I don't see why a gay rights group ought to be excluded from membership in the UN as a NGO. However, if it is true that the ILGA refuses to sever its ties with a group that promotes pedophilia, why should they be be allowed back in the economic and social council?
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

erikwilliam

Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:11 pm

F***´m faggots

signed,
George W Bush.
Dida, Cafu, Lucio, Roque Junior, Roberto Carlo, Emerson, Ze Roberto, Ronaldinho, Kaka, Adriano, Robinho, Ronaldo

frequentflyer

Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:14 pm

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 23):
The reason I ask is that I was just about to join the "what a stupid move by the US" crowd when I read this, because I don't see why a gay rights group ought to be excluded from membership in the UN as a NGO. However, if it is true that the ILGA refuses to sever its ties with a group that promotes pedophilia, why should they be be allowed back in the economic and social council?

checkmark  In my opinion gay groups should be relentless in their fight against those sick people.
Take off and live

AeroWesty

Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:15 pm

However, if it is true that the ILGA refuses to sever its ties with a group that promotes pedophilia, why should they be be allowed back in the economic and social council?

And the reason for excluding the Danish group?

halls120

Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:42 pm

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 26):
However, if it is true that the ILGA refuses to sever its ties with a group that promotes pedophilia, why should they be be allowed back in the economic and social council?

And the reason for excluding the Danish group?

Don't know why they were excluded. If it wasn't for the same reason as the ILGA, then they should be allowed back in.
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

Dougloid

Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:07 am

Do any of the people here who are complaining about the US action to block this particular group have a comment about the following?

"The UN removed ILGA's consultative status "based on concerns raised about its member organizations or subsidiaries that promoted or condoned paedophilia". [3] ILGA applied to have its consultative status reinstated in 2000 [4], but on 30 April 2002 the United Nations' Economic & Social Council voted 29-17 not to grant this application. [5] The Washington Times reported that opponents blocked ILGA's attempt to regain consultative status because the association had not provided sufficient evidence that it had eliminated NAMBLA and the other pedophile groups from its membership roster, ILGA having refused to provide UN officials with a list of its member organizations."

Nothing new here. I did the same as you, I googled the subject and came up with the same results-not only the same results but a history of votes on the same issue going back to the late 1980s.

If you have to ask yourself what this was all about, I think the response of the lunatic fringe, so trenchantly expressed by our fellows here, seems to demonstrate the principle. It's a classic knee jerk reflex.
If you believe in coincidence, you haven't looked close enough-Joe Leaphorn

DrDeke

Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:06 am

It is to much about gay and gay rights. 1-2 % of the population in any country is homosexual.

Oh really? So we should deny rights (that everyone else gets) to 1-2% of the population, and it is "too much" to talk about not doing so? If we don't deny these rights, then we are _not_ democratic? What?

-DrDeke
If you don't want it known, don't say it on a phone.

ConcordeBoy

Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:46 am

Correct.

Quoting We're Nuts (Reply 11):
The purpose of a democracy is to protect the rights of the minorities.

You couldn't possibly be more wrong:
A true democracy, as mentioned by Bofrederik, is little more than a sanctioned state of perpetual mob mentality-- the majority will ALWAYS rule.

Fortunately for most of us... of the very few (if any) examples of a pure democracy, the USA most certainly is not among them.

Quoting IRelayer (Reply 15):
Despite what a lot of people may think, the US is a pretty liberal country compared with almost every other nation on the planet. Sometimes a few loudmouths will pretend to represent the majority and drown out all of the other voices, but rest assured the US is not as f***ed up in this area as you may have assumed reading the news.

well said
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

APFPilot1985

Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:10 am

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 27):
Don't know why they were excluded. If it wasn't for the same reason as the ILGA, then they should be allowed back in.

I have a hunch it may be because they all were on the same resolution and it was a one or nothing thing. Funny that we haven't heard from whitehatter since the truth came out in this thread.

redngold

Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:14 am

I think it's funny that the gay and lesbian community wants to be accepted into the mainstream... and then goes ballistic when it isn't acknowledged as a "special interest" or "minority group." After all, aren't gays and lesbians in every race, creed and origin?

So much for one global race.  sarcastic 
Up, up and away!

erikwilliam

Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:22 am

Quoting Redngold (Reply 32):
So much for one global race.

what is that supposed to mean?
Dida, Cafu, Lucio, Roque Junior, Roberto Carlo, Emerson, Ze Roberto, Ronaldinho, Kaka, Adriano, Robinho, Ronaldo

ConcordeBoy

Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:36 am

Quoting Erikwilliam (Reply 33):

I'll 2nd... what the heck was that supposed to me??
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

dvk

Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:43 am

I think it's funny that the gay and lesbian community wants to be accepted into the mainstream... and then goes ballistic when it isn't acknowledged as a "special interest" or "minority group." After all, aren't gays and lesbians in every race, creed and origin?

You are absolutely hopeless. Since you are unwilling to be educated, but insist on interjecting your bitc** opinion into every gay thread, why don't you just leave us alone? Or, better yet, go donate blood and specify that it's for a fag, as you so magnanimously stated you were willing to do in another thread.
I'm not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information.

A332

Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:02 am

Since when are gays/lesbians a 'race'...?

Oh wait... remark posted by the board's favorite fundamentalist: Redngold... 'nuff said.
Bad spellers of the world... UNTIE!

Falcon84

Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:37 am

In a vote as to whether two lesbian and gay groups should join the UN’s Economic and Social Council, the US joined Iran, Zimbabwe, China, Cameroon and Egypt in blocking the groups. Strange bedfellows indeed...

Yes, welcome to United States foreign policy defined by wacked-out Christian Fundamentalists with an ax to grind against those they hate.

Quoting MD-90 (Reply 12):
So who else voted against the inclusion of those two groups? I'll bet it wasn't just those six nations. Seems like gay.com wanted to put their spin on it to make it look especially bad

If you had read the article, you would have seen this, MD-90

The countries that voted to dismiss the gay application were Cameroon, China, Cuba, Iran, Pakistan, Russian Federation, Senegal, Sudan, United States of America and Zimbabwe, according to ILGA.

Some company. All the great "free" nations of the world, eh.

I was going to say the same thing-but I'd say it to George W. Bush and his merry band of homophobes, myself.
Work Right, Fly Hard

APFPilot1985

Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:42 am

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 37):
If you had read the article, you would have seen this, MD-90

The countries that voted to dismiss the gay application were Cameroon, China, Cuba, Iran, Pakistan, Russian Federation, Senegal, Sudan, United States of America and Zimbabwe, according to ILGA.

and if you did a little bit of your own research instead of relying on what is provided to you, you would see that the ILGA, used to be recognized by the UNESCO, until it was realized that NAMBLA was one of its member organizations. Since then it has been brought back up for reinstatement multiple times and struck down multiple times. Their failure to provide a membership list, has precipitated their reinstatement being blocked.

AeroWesty

Fri Jan 27, 2006 5:08 am

I think it's funny that the gay and lesbian community wants to be accepted into the mainstream

I think it's funny that the radical fundamentalist christian community wants to be accepted into the mainstream.

MD-90

Fri Jan 27, 2006 5:17 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 13):

Oh, so they didn't interview men in prison, like Kinsey did, to get his 10% number? If it doesn't support your position, then it must be completely skewed and false, eh?

Personally, I've read research that estimates 1-3% of Americans identify themselves as homosexual and prefer to have exclusively homosexual relations. Seems about right to me.

CXA330300

Fri Jan 27, 2006 5:22 am

Bloody bastard Bush is.......the difference between him and bin Laden is one wears a turban and the other a cross,

Many LGBTs are in the closet their entire lives.
AC/AA/UA/DL/B6/WN/US*/CO*/FI/BA/IB/AF/SK/LX/Sabena*/TK/LY/SA/MN/SW/AM/CE*/CX/CA/MU/JL/SQ/TG/MH/KA/5J

APFPilot1985

Fri Jan 27, 2006 5:24 am

Quoting CXA330300 (Reply 41):
Bloody bastard Bush is.......the difference between him and bin Laden is one wears a turban and the other a cross,

Have you just glossed over all of the reasoning for the vote that has been provided in this thread in order to satiate your rabid need for america bashing?

dvk

Fri Jan 27, 2006 5:33 am

Quoting MD-90 (Reply 40):
Seems about right to me.

You have absolutely no basis in life experience for making such a statement. And by the way, Kinsey interviewed far many more people who were not in prison to determine his statistics. Your thinly veiled implication that gays are more likely to be in prison is pure garbage.
I'm not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information.

searpqx

Fri Jan 27, 2006 5:48 am

Quoting MD-90 (Reply 40):
Seems about right to me.

This is not a slam, but a fundamentalist christian virgin is the last person I would consider the definitive or even credible source for determining the occurance of homosexuality in the general population.

While its highly ironic that the US should find itself voting with Iran on anything related to human rights, if ILGA is still maintaining ties to NAMBLA (and no, not the Nat'l Assoc. of Marlon Brando Look Alikes), or refusing to divulge its membership list to prove that they've severed previously documented relationships with groups supporting and/or approving pedophilia, then they deserve to be blocked. Still doesn't answer why the Danish group was blocked. The othere question is, are there other LGBT organizations already in the Council. In other words, was this a one time thing, done specifically because of ILGA's record, or is it a pattern?
"The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity"

Falcon84

Fri Jan 27, 2006 5:48 am

Quoting APFPilot1985 (Reply 38):
and if you did a little bit of your own research instead of relying on what is provided to you, you would see that the ILGA, used to be recognized by the UNESCO.......

Dude, I wasn't even addressing that point. MD-90 wanted to know who voted against it, and I provided the information. I didn't even comment on the ILGA, so keep you skivvies on.

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 39):
I think it's funny that the gay and lesbian community wants to be accepted into the mainstream

I think it's funny that the radical fundamentalist christian community wants to be accepted into the mainstream

Amen to that, AeroWesty. Amen. Many of them are as radical as those they oppose so vigerously.
Work Right, Fly Hard

redngold

Fri Jan 27, 2006 5:51 am

Quoting Erikwilliam (Reply 33):

There is only one global race: the human race. The rate of genetic variation between "races" is identical to the variation within individual "races."

Quoting Dvk (Reply 35):
You are absolutely hopeless. Since you are unwilling to be educated, but insist on interjecting your bitc** opinion into every gay thread, why don't you just leave us alone? Or, better yet, go donate blood and specify that it's for a fag, as you so magnanimously stated you were willing to do in another thread.

You are absolutely hopeless, since you are unwilling to be educated, but insist on keeping your mind closed to any opinion but your own. Why don't you just be a HUMAN rather than a GAY man. Better yet, why don't you go donate blood and specify that it's for a fundamentalist Christian, because you'll do anything for "special" recognition?

Quoting A332 (Reply 36):
Since when are gays/lesbians a 'race'...?

They are not a separate race... You obviously missed the  sarcastic  smily...
We are all one human race.

I was going to say the same thing-but I'd say it to George W. Bush and his merry band of homophobes, myself.

It cuts both ways. "Liberal" groups want to specify every little group in our society until it becomes entirely fragmented. Everyone gets their own entitlement for special treatment, everyone fights about the quality of their special treatment, and nobody works together. How about that?

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 39):
I think it's funny that the radical fundamentalist christian community wants to be accepted into the mainstream.

You obviously never read past the end of your quote. You want to be recognized as a protected minority as well as being in the mainstream. You can't have it both ways.

The question remains: Are you part of society as a whole, or are you "special"? You want to be part of the world but you want to be separate. Why remove yourself from the very goal you proclaim?
Up, up and away!

JeffSFO

Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:03 am

Quoting Redngold (Reply 46):
You want to be recognized as a protected minority as well as being in the mainstream. You can't have it both ways.

So much for the Civil Rights movement then...  Yeah sure

APFPilot1985

Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:03 am

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 45):
Dude, I wasn't even addressing that point. MD-90 wanted to know who voted against it, and I provided the information. I didn't even comment on the ILGA, so keep you skivvies on.

Some company. All the great "free" nations of the world, eh.

When you follow it up with a comment like that though. Granted the Nations we voted with might be pretty tyrannic ones, but that doesn't change the fact that the ILGA used to/might still count NAMBLA as one of its members.

Falcon84

Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:08 am

Quoting APFPilot1985 (Reply 48):
When you follow it up with a comment like that though. Granted the Nations we voted with might be pretty tyrannic ones, but that doesn't change the fact that the ILGA used to/might still count NAMBLA as one of its members.

It also doesn't change the fact that the "Land of the free" is lead by a bunch of homophobes.
Work Right, Fly Hard