Falcon84
Topic Author

Stakes On Alito Raised:Kerry Calls For Fillabuster

Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:07 am

No details, but saw it on CNN in the office, but the sound is down.

More details to follow, I'm sure. Not even a link to a story yet.

This could get interesting.

[Edited 2006-01-26 22:16:11]
Work Right, Fly Hard

KSYR

RE: Stakes On Alito Raised Kerry Calls For Fillabuster

Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:11 am

Just more whining by the left...

They need to turn around and face the music- they lost this round. Time for them to stop wasting their time and start focusing on '08.

dl021

Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:12 am

There are several democrats who already said they were going to vote for Alito, and I think that the opportunity for a filibuster is minimal.

It would probably also backfire on the dems, sort of like the way this whole wiretapping issue has done.
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

b757300

Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:20 am

If they want to filibuster, let them although I doubt it is going to happen. Kerry is just trying to appease the DUers, DailyKos, and other assorted moonbats.

There are already enough votes to invoke the Constitutional option and put and end to the filibuster of judicial nominees once and for all.
"There is no victory at bargain basement prices."

Falcon84
Topic Author

RE: Stakes On Alito Raised:Kerry Calls For Fillabuster

Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:25 am

Quoting B757300 (Reply 3):
There are already enough votes to invoke the Constitutional option

"Constitutional Option." What a load of perverted garbage that term is.  Silly
Work Right, Fly Hard

Pope

Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:30 am

Of course Kerry did. The NYT ordered him to do it this morning.

I hope the GOP really makes him fillabuster. That way he'll have to stand and talk for the whole time. Remember, this is a guy that as the public found out more about him they liked him less. This is the guy who lost to the village idiot. This is the guy whose grades in Yale were lower than Bush's.

This is the guy who blew a 15 point lead in a presidential election.

I say let Kerry speak. Let Kennedy speak. Let the liberal nuts rant and rave. Alito will eventually get a vote (one way or another) and become the next justice of the Supreme Court. Even Robert (white is right) Byrd has come out in favor of Alito.

Let's up the nuclear status to Defcon 3 and spin up the weapons.
Hypocrisy. It's the new black for liberals.

tristarenvy

Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:33 am

Maybe he could stand and read from Ted Kennedy's driving record....
If you don't stand for SOMETHING, you'll fall for ANYTHING.

Falcon84
Topic Author

Quoting Pope (Reply 5):

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Boy, you are one messed up hombre, Pope. And the sad thing is, you believe such crap.  Silly
Work Right, Fly Hard

cfalk

The party-line vote in the Judicial committee was shameful, as were Feinstein's remarks about her litmus test for Alito. The dems just threw out 200+ years of respectful screening of supreme court justices. For them today, being an experienced and objective judge means nothing - you must be an ideological activist in their mould to qualify as a judge. Shameful...
The only thing you should feel when shooting a terrorist: Recoil.

IceTitan447

Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:37 am

Blow hard Kerry

Why do lefties follow such and Idiot, and Kennedy probably gave him a swat on the rear for this one.  Silly

dvk

Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:39 am

Quoting Cfalk (Reply 8):
The dems just threw out 200+ years of respectful screening of supreme court justices

Actually, the radical right Republicans did it first by forcing Harriet Miers to withdraw before she even made it to the committee hearings. The committee members have every right to vote their individual consciences, as do the senate members as a whole. Clarence Thomas was only confirmed 52-48. How many justices have been confirmed 100-0? By your own definition, Roberts must be an "ideological activist" since he was confirmed so easily, and with quite a few Dems voting for him.
I'm not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information.

Pope

Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:08 am

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 7):
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Boy, you are one messed up hombre, Pope. And the sad thing is, you believe such crap.

Well let's see: http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/26/opinion/26thur1.html?_r=1

n229nw

Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:13 am

Quoting Tristarenvy (Reply 6):

rotfl 
Now I don't like Alito, but I have to admit that was a good one.
All Glory to the Hypnotoad!

FDXmech

Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:18 am

Quoting Cfalk (Reply 8):
The dems just threw out 200+ years of respectful screening of supreme court justices.

These Dems are definitely the gang who couldn't think straight. God forbid if a Dem is elected president with a GOP held senate and a SC seat is open. The future Dem president thanks to these bunch of morons will be hamstrung in a nominee. No more Ginsberg types that's for sure (actually a very good thing IMO but irrelevant). Ginsberg by the way who's far left replaced a conservative justice with a 93 to 3 vote.
You're only as good as your last departure.

jetjack74

Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:32 am

Quoting Falcon84 (Thread starter):
This could get interesting

How many times have we heard this? There isn't going to be a filabuster, because they need all dems on the judicial commitees of both the house and the Senate to execute a filabuster, which they had 3 defectors so far this morning. There's talk there may be another forthcoming.

Quoting Dvk (Reply 10):
and with quite a few Dems voting for him.

3 to be exact at the moment.
Robert C "Sheets" Byrd is one of them voting for confirmation. I forget the other 2.

Quoting Pope (Reply 11):
Well let's see

Not only the NYT, but it's the core, kook base flatulating this message.
Made from jets!

dvk

Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:38 am

Quoting Jetjack74 (Reply 14):
Quoting Dvk (Reply 10):
and with quite a few Dems voting for him.

3 to be exact at the moment.

Read again, dude. I was talking about Roberts, not Alito.
I'm not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information.

halls120

Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:41 am

Quoting DL021 (Reply 2):
There are several democrats who already said they were going to vote for Alito, and I think that the opportunity for a filibuster is minimal.

It would probably also backfire on the dems, sort of like the way this whole wiretapping issue has done.

Given the number of democratic senators up for election in "red" states this fall, I doubt there will be a filibuster. And if there is one, it will be short-lived.

The democrats are blowing it. The sole ground for not confirming Alito is partisan politics. He is eminently qualified, he has an outstanding judicial record, and no one can say he is NOT qualified.

Kerry and the democrats are idiots on this issue. Turning Alito's confirmation into a partisan litmus test is going to bite them in the rear next time they have a democrat in the White House.
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

Pope

Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:42 am

CNN's 5:30 news report on the "Situation Room" said that up to 70 Senators are expected to vote in favor of cloture. Proving yet again that nobody really cares what Kerry or Kennedy have to say and how out of touch MA is with the rest of the country.

Perhaps they should bring in Dukakis to lead the MA delegation to Congress.

[Edited 2006-01-26 23:45:54]

satx

Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:53 am

Quoting KSYR (Reply 1):
Just more whining by the left...

Brought to our attention by more whining from the right?

Quoting KSYR (Reply 1):
They need to turn around and face the music- they lost this round. Time for them to stop wasting their time and start focusing on '08.

Nothing in '08 can undo a lifetime appointment to the Supreme Court.

Quoting DL021 (Reply 2):

Please give some concrete examples of how exactly another Bush lie 'backfired' on the Democrats? The Democrats may not be getting much traction out of it, but outside of FOX NEWS and Clearchannel who exactly is blaming the Democrats for yet another Bush fuckup?

Quoting B757300 (Reply 3):
There are already enough votes to invoke the Constitutional option and put and end to the filibuster of judicial nominees once and for all.

That, folks, is what we call a euphemism.

Quoting Pope (Reply 5):

Where do you come up with this junk?

Quoting Cfalk (Reply 8):
The party-line vote in the Judicial committee was shameful

As already stated, it's no more shameful than what happened to Harriot Miers. Also, casting shame on only one side of a party-line vote is just plain hypocritical. The conservatives are better at keeping everyone in a single voting block than the democrats. That's how the whole RINO revenge scheme got started.
Open Season on Consumer Protections is Just Around the Corner...

KSYR

Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:57 am

Quoting SATX (Reply 18):
Nothing in '08 can undo a lifetime appointment to the Supreme Court.

Right, but why waste time fighting against someone who is going to be confirmed anyways?

jake056

Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:57 am

Quoting Jetjack74 (Reply 14):
There isn't going to be a filabuster, because they need all dems on the judicial commitees of both the house and the Senate to execute a filabuster, which they had 3 defectors so far this morning.

The House has no role whatsoever in the conduct of the Senate.

texdravid

Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:02 am

While the NY Times did not "order" John Kerry to raise the specter of a filibuster, its editorial this morning was nothing short of shameful. I agree that the NYT has a right to put their views on their editorial page, but that piece this morning was verbatim what Daily Kos would put out, not the "paper of record".

With many Democrats saying either they will vote for Alito or not support a filibuster, I think this is just Kerry posturing to his base.

The leftist base is frustrated with their Democrats in the Senate having no backbone and are actively campaigning for a filibuster. So, a lot of Democrats are in a tough position. If they cater to the base in this Alito nomination, they are going against U.S. public opinion. If they ignore their base, it will cost them politically in terms of re-election chances, committee appointments and cash.
Tort reform now. Throw lawyers in jail later.

Falcon84
Topic Author

Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:02 am

That was classic, Tristarenvy! Excellent!  Silly
Work Right, Fly Hard

MD-90

Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:21 am

Alito needs to be filibustered. He does not believe in the separation of powers, and despite the Supreme Court ruling in 2002 that candidates for judgeships can answer any questions about how they might rule in a given situation, he refuses to answer valid questions.

If the Constitution is going to have some respite from being undermined by repugnant government flacks, then it is imperative that Alito be filibustered. Anything to keep him off the bench.

He believes that the executive is above the law, and may violate whatever laws he pleases during wartime. Alito would probably approve of another tyrant like Lincoln.

texdravid

Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:28 am

Quoting MD-90 (Reply 23):
Alito needs to be filibustered. He does not believe in the separation of powers, and despite the Supreme Court ruling in 2002 that candidates for judgeships can answer any questions about how they might rule in a given situation, he refuses to answer valid questions.

If the Constitution is going to have some respite from being undermined by repugnant government flacks, then it is imperative that Alito be filibustered. Anything to keep him off the bench.

He believes that the executive is above the law, and may violate whatever laws he pleases during wartime. Alito would probably approve of another tyrant like Lincoln.

Please call Teddy Kennedy, Chuck Schumer, and Dianne Feinstein and just tell them how you feel. Write to them, email them, and generally put as much pressure on them to follow Kerry's lead.

I hope you succeed, as it will be so good for your democratic friends. It will come across so well to the American public, maybe as well as the Wellstone tribute did in 2002.

Jalto27R

Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:29 am

rotfl  rotfl  rotfl  rotfl  rotfl  rotfl  rotfl 
It's like the Hartford Convention...with two people.

Mike

stuckinMAF

Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:38 am

Kerry is a dumbass. Enough said.
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity" -Sigmund Freud

Falcon84
Topic Author

Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:43 am

Quoting StuckinMAF (Reply 26):

What a thoughtful, insightful, intelligent response. Just what I would expect from someone who wants to wall off the Mexicans and mow them down. Utter intelligence....not.

Maybe you should turn that phrase on yourself and look in the mirror, friend.
Work Right, Fly Hard

stuckinMAF

Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:53 am

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 27):
Just what I would expect from someone who wants to wall off the Mexicans and mow them down.

redflag  I never said anything about "mowing them down". And in case you were too short-sighted to understand the concept, the wall will have proper ports-of-entry.

Now, back on topic, Kerry is a dumbass.
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity" -Sigmund Freud

stuckinMAF

Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:56 am

Quoting Falcon84 (Thread starter):
Stakes On Alito Raised:Kerry Calls For Fillabuster

Oh, and BTW, you misspelled "Filibuster" in your topic title.

[Edited 2006-01-27 00:57:27]

Falcon84
Topic Author

Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:58 am

Quoting StuckinMAF (Reply 28):
And in case you were too short-sighted to understand the concept, the wall will have proper ports-of-entry.

Oh, gee, how special!! Another "Checkpoint Charlie", eh?  Silly

Quoting StuckinMAF (Reply 28):
Now, back on topic, Kerry is a dumbass.

I guess it takes one to know one.
Work Right, Fly Hard

jetjack74

Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:08 am

Quoting Jake056 (Reply 20):
The House has no role whatsoever in the conduct of the Senate.

Where did I say that, Jake the snake? The House and Senate each have they're own Judicial Committees. He must be confirmed in both the House and Senate, therefor there wasn't/isn't going to be a filibuster in either the House or the Senate because they won't have the votes to impose one.

Quoting Dvk (Reply 15):
Read again, dude. I was talking about Roberts, not Alito

Relax DVK, I knew you were referring to Roberts, i'm just thowing the analogy of Alito in there of why there won't be a filibuster.

Quoting StuckinMAF (Reply 26):

He falls more on the irrelevant moron catagory.

[Edited 2006-01-27 01:10:29]
Made from jets!

AirCop

Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:34 am

JetJack you're wrong about the house having a role in confirming any type of court nominee. The president selects and the Senate and only the Senate votes on the nominee. (Besides the house isn't even in session yet, they delayed for a month coming into session hoping Delay would beat his legal problems in Texas)

tbar220

Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:55 am

He believes that the executive is above the law, and may violate whatever laws he pleases during wartime

Thank you! Somebody finally got it, understood what this is about. This isn't about the Democrats turning this into a partisan issue, no matter how much you want to turn it into this. This is about Alito being a dangerous judge on the supreme court. This country has survived for as long as it has because of the separation of powers. Now with the NSA spying example coming out into the light, Alito's views on Presidential power is just scary.

Its bad enough in my eyes that one part controls all three branches of the government, but its even worse if they use that control to slowly erode the system of checks and balances which are so key to this government. The President is trying to get as much power as he can (who can forget his dicatator comment), Congress has basically eliminated the Democrats from any honest debate about damned near anything (can you say plantation anyone?), and the thought of Alito on the supreme court for the next couple of decades is frightening.

So yes, the Democrats should grow some balls, call him out on his bullshit, and fillibuster his nomination. If he was a true conservative, he wouldn't dare tread on the "holy" constitution and the separation of powers granted to each branch of our government.
NO URLS in signature

AerospaceFan

Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:58 am

Quoting Pope (Reply 17):
CNN's 5:30 news report on the "Situation Room" said that up to 70 Senators are expected to vote in favor of cloture. Proving yet again that nobody really cares what Kerry or Kennedy have to say and how out of touch MA is with the rest of the country.

70? That's a helluva lot! How do they know that? They only need 60 for cloture.
What's fair is fair.

ilikeyyc

Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:09 am

In typical politics, you get something for something. Is this threat from the dems legitimate? Is it an attempt to get something from the Reps. in exchange for not filibustering this nomination? Or is this a case of "us against them" and using the filibuster is the only way to win? I guess I am just tired of politicians saying this or that and never following through on what they said. That's why I won't believe it until they actually do it.
Fighting Absurdity with Absurdity!

jake056

Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:01 am

Quoting Jetjack74 (Reply 31):
He must be confirmed in both the House and Senate, therefor there wasn't/isn't going to be a filibuster in either the House or the Senate because they won't have the votes to impose one.

Sorry, but the U.S. Constitution doesn't agree with you. The President nominates candidates to vacancies on the Supreme Court, and the Senate then exercises its advise and consent role.

halls120

Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:12 am

Quoting Tbar220 (Reply 33):
. This isn't about the Democrats turning this into a partisan issue, no matter how much you want to turn it into this. This is about Alito being a dangerous judge on the supreme court. This country has survived for as long as it has because of the separation of powers. Now with the NSA spying example coming out into the light, Alito's views on Presidential power is just scary.

What really scares liberals is the fact that the Supreme Court might once again start interpreting the law in accordance with the Constitution, instead of creating law out of thin air.

Its bad enough in my eyes that one part controls all three branches of the government, but its even worse if they use that control to slowly erode the system of checks and balances which are so key to this government.

Just how does the republican party "control" the Supreme Court?

So yes, the Democrats should grow some balls, call him out on his bullshit, and fillibuster his nomination. If he was a true conservative, he wouldn't dare tread on the "holy" constitution and the separation of powers granted to each branch of our government.

A filibuster will accomplish nothing, other than damaging the institution of the Senate, because Frist will invoke the "nuclear" option, and Alito will be affirmed by a simple majority.

As I recall, one of the campaign issues put forth by the democrats in the last election was the need to win the White House and the Senate so that the republicans wouldn't be able to put conservatives on the Court. Well, it obviously didn't resonate, since the democrats lost the WH and didn't regain control of the senate.

Win some elections and you can put liberals on the bench. It's not all that complicated.
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

MidnightMike

Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:16 am

Thank you! Somebody finally got it, understood what this is about. This isn't about the Democrats turning this into a partisan issue, no matter how much you want to turn it into this. This is about Alito being a dangerous judge on the supreme court. This country has survived for as long as it has because of the separation of powers. Now with the NSA spying example coming out into the light, Alito's views on Presidential power is just scary.

Its bad enough in my eyes that one part controls all three branches of the government, but its even worse if they use that control to slowly erode the system of checks and balances which are so key to this government. The President is trying to get as much power as he can (who can forget his dicatator comment), Congress has basically eliminated the Democrats from any honest debate about damned near anything (can you say plantation anyone?), and the thought of Alito on the supreme court for the next couple of decades is frightening.

Not one Democrat has called Alito unqualified, all we keep hearing is what he may or may not do. The Senate is there to vote on his qualifications, at the Senate hearings, they ask tough questions and not one of his answers made him look like somebody that is going to trample on the Constitution.

As to the fillibuster, best to use that for something that counts, trying to fillibuster a Judge that is very qualified for the job, would only give the Republicans the opportunity to vote out the fillibuster option.
NO URLS in signature

Pope

Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:26 am

The most humorous part about this story is that Kerry isn't even in the country. In typical hypocritical fashion he's hobnobbing in Davos with all those billionaires he considers so evil.

I bet that several years from now he'll recount how he was in Iraq when he heard that the Alito vote was about to come up and it affected him deeply, the same way he recounted about how he spent Christmas in Laos during the Vietnam war.

All we need now is for Dan Rather to come on the air with a special investigative report finding a "lost" opinion from Judge Alito where he calls for the elimination of Congress.

My only question is, since Kerry was in Switzerland did he call for the filibuster in french, german or italian?

[Edited 2006-01-27 03:32:17]

fxramper

Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:36 am

GOP has already announced they have secured enough votes, democrats included, to push Alito into the seat...failing to see how this helps DNC.

Smile

In other news,

Howard Dean  footinmouth 

President Bush  scared 

texdravid

Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:33 pm

Quoting Pope (Reply 39):
The most humorous part about this story is that Kerry isn't even in the country. In typical hypocritical fashion he's hobnobbing in Davos with all those billionaires he considers so evil.

LOL. Kerry has probably the worst political instincts of anyone in the Senate. Thus, not only was the decision dubious, but the manner in which the decision was given was poor.

satx

Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:46 pm

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 37):

Win some elections and you can put liberals on the bench. It's not all that complicated.

Clinton put on fairly moderate judges, now the Republicans are paying us back with hardliners under the threat of the "nuclear option". Thanks guys. Way to fuck your own country. And through all this, you STILL find time to blame the Democrats. You people are worthless.
Open Season on Consumer Protections is Just Around the Corner...

MD-90

Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:48 pm

Quoting Texdravid (Reply 24):
I hope you succeed, as it will be so good for your democratic friends.

You could be eating your words soon if Hillary is elected and she does something you don't like, and the USSC rules in favor of the executive. All of Alito's past history shows that he would.

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 37):
What really scares liberals is the fact that the Supreme Court might once again start interpreting the law in accordance with the Constitution, instead of creating law out of thin air.

Because of Alito?  crazy  That's a joke.

cptkrell

Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:59 pm

Good one, Pope (rep 39); VERY good one.

One wonders about the relevency of what John Kerry's (or Kennedy's, for that matter) opinions might be. As a matter of fact, I don't give a shit what Byrd's opinion is either, although he seemingly helps the anticipated confirmation vote. Regards...jack
all best; jack

ctbarnes

Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:15 pm

Let's just take Kerry's statement for what it is: posturing.

The numbers required to make a filibuster stick simply aren't there and the Democratic leadership in the Senate know it. Unless something bizarre surfaces in the next 24 hours, Alito's confirmation seems to be a sure bet.

As for how he behaves on the court, well, time will tell.

Charles, SJ
The customer isn't a moron, she is your wife -David Ogilvy

searpqx

Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:22 pm

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 16):
The democrats are blowing it. The sole ground for not confirming Alito is partisan politics. He is eminently qualified, he has an outstanding judicial record, and no one can say he is NOT qualified.

Kerry and the democrats are idiots on this issue. Turning Alito's confirmation into a partisan litmus test is going to bite them in the rear next time they have a democrat in the White House.

checkmark  Agree 100% - as much as Alito worries me, there are no grounds on his qualification or record not to approve his nomination. There are lots of other battles to fight, they should've let this one go (and I actually think they will. They've postured, made noise, and now will move on).
"The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity"

planespotting

Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:12 pm

Well, at least people who actually count are trying to decide whether or not to confirm this Supreme Court Justice.

A few months ago, it was the GOP Base who was calling the shots to decide who was going to be the next one.

If you recall, *your* illustrious president had already submitted a different nomination to the Supreme Court. Rather than leaving it up to the people who we have all elected to oversee such matters, the Republican Base took it upon themselves to do whatever was necessary to make sure that Harriet Miers nomination was withdrawn And, of course, because we all know the Republican Politicians have to run back home when their donors give them a whistle, she politely resigned and Bush submitted a candidate who was more conducive to the right wing core of the republican party...we couldn't have a president who could actually decide things for himself could we? of course not.

I am obviously leaning a bit more towards NOT letting Alito become the next Supreme Court Justice, and I have told the people who matter accordingly.

In any case, I hope he is able to exercise some restraint and accurately cast judgement over what cases come before him.
Do you like movies about gladiators?

AerospaceFan

Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:44 pm

Quoting SATX (Reply 42):
Clinton put on fairly moderate judges, now the Republicans are paying us back with hardliners under the threat of the "nuclear option".

I don't think that Ruth Bader Ginsburg was moderate, though.
What's fair is fair.

Pope

Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:32 pm

Quoting AerospaceFan (Reply 48):
I don't think that Ruth Bader Ginsburg was moderate, though.

You forget, liberals don't grade by one uniform scale. If a justice supports their cause, they are fair and moderate. If the justice doesn't agree with their view of the world they are an extremist.

I believe that Ginsburg was unanimously confirmed (either 98 or 99 to 0). No filibuster no threat. Just an up or down vote on a justice that was qualifed but had a different view of the world than GOP senators.