9VSPO
Topic Author

Should "Friends" Come Back?

Sun Jan 29, 2006 7:53 am

Actress Kathleen Turner has fuelled rumours of a Friends reunion after telling reporters she has been asked to appear in the sit-com.

I've heard loads of stuff here in the UK that it's coming back. Is this true? And would you want to see it return now?

Newark777

RE: Should "Friends" Come Back?

Sun Jan 29, 2006 7:54 am

I certainly hope not. And if it does, I hope it suffers the same fate as Joey.

Harry
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

PipoA380

Sun Jan 29, 2006 7:55 am

NO NO NO NO and NO

Don't come back!!

Please!
It's not about AIRBUS. it's not about BOEING. It's all about the beauty of FLYING.

kiwiandrew

Sun Jan 29, 2006 7:55 am

No

it was good , it had it's day , it ran it's course , then it went on for another couple of years after the writers had run out of ideas

yowza

Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:01 am

For the love of all that is good and holy NO. They already did more seasosn than they should have. Not to mention us seing 3 weeks of commericals on NBC before the finale hailing the biggest event in TV history.  Yeah sure

That said none of the 6 main actors have had any real success outside of friends.

YOWza

FlyKev
Crew

Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:13 am

No.
The entire Friends scripts, original recordings and anything related should be locked in a steel box, and dropped into an ocean, where it will never be seen again.
The white zone is for immediate loading and unloading of passengers only

kiwiandrew

Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:15 am

Quoting FlyKev (Reply 5):
No.
The entire Friends scripts, original recordings and anything related should be locked in a steel box, and dropped into an ocean, where it will never be seen again.

does "anything related" include the cast ???
 devil 

AsstChiefMark

Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:16 am

Good God! NO!
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

stuckinMAF

Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:16 am

No.

checkmark 
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity" -Sigmund Freud

searpqx

Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:18 am

Quoting StuckinMAF (Reply 8):
No.

checkmark 

checkmark 
"The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity"

9VSPO
Topic Author

Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:21 am

So far no-one has been in favour. There are 4 one hour specials rumoured to be in the pipeline. Personally I lost interest after the first series.

desertjets

Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:22 am

Quoting Kiwiandrew (Reply 6):
does "anything related" include the cast ???

Well everyone but Jennifer Anniston... I'll keep her.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

aloges

Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:23 am

I learnt written Portuguese and spoken English watching subtitled episodes of it, so I'm a bit partial to the series. But don't ask me what episodes I watched or what season it was, all I have now is a few episodes as videos! I agree that it's had its time, all good things must end.

Quoting Newark777 (Reply 1):
I hope it suffers the same fate as Joey.

Err - and that would be?
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

PIA777

Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:37 am

Yes, this time make all the actors and actresses black and have no
white people in it.

PIA777
GO CUBS!!

bill142

Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:53 am

No.

aerorobnz

Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:21 pm

That would be a sad day in the history of mankind if they do bring it back.
Flown to 120 Airports in 44 Countries on 73 Operators. Visited 55 Countries and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

afconcorde1

Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:18 pm

Quoting 9VSPO (Thread starter):
And would you want to see it return now?

Friends, I am afraid, has shared the same fate as Concorde. It was a hit, but then had to be grounded never to return (as much as I would like to see it.) Personally, I would much rather see the DVD collections than a Friends "reunion".
Je pense, donc je vole Concorde!

Newark777

Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:28 pm

Quoting Aloges (Reply 12):

Err - and that would be?

Complete failure and cancellation.

Harry
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

HAWK21M

Sun Jan 29, 2006 7:05 pm

NO.
too late.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

IceTitan447

Sun Jan 29, 2006 7:26 pm

Quoting PIA777 (Reply 13):
white people in it.

Yah, that would rock!  Yeah sure

I hope it comes back. I liked watching that show, and even though it isn't cool to like it, most of you folks who said no watched it.

Buck the trend, it was funny!

kiwiandrew

Sun Jan 29, 2006 7:38 pm

Quoting IceTitan447 (Reply 19):
Buck the trend, it was funny!

yes , it was funny , for several years , but as so often happens they milked it long after it had ceased to be funny or original ... wouldn't you rather appreciate the classic re-runs than watch some new episodes where there is no chemistry because neither the cast nor the writers can be bothered any more >

SA7700

Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:01 pm

Quoting Kiwiandrew (Reply 20):
wouldn't you rather appreciate the classic re-runs than watch some new episodes where there is no chemistry because neither the cast nor the writers can be bothered any more >

You are right. I have series 1-10 in my DVD collection and can watch any episode whenever I like to. Trying to rekindle a sitcom that has successfully ended, is beyond senseless - as much as I love "Friends".

Rgds

SA7700
When you are doing stuff that nobody has done before, there is no manual – Kevin McCloud (Grand Designs)

IceTitan447

Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:15 am

yes , it was funny , for several years , but as so often happens they milked it long after it had ceased to be funny or original ... Wouldn't you rather appreciate the classic re-runs than watch some new episodes where there is no chemistry because neither the cast nor the writers can be bothered any more >

I liked it up till the very end. It did have some lame episodes, and some of the characters became annoying. Over all it was a good show. I would love to see how the whole Rachel and Ross thing worked out, the Chandler and Monica stuff, kids and all.

Joey, what ever became of him? I never watched his new show, it was on while I was working and didn't care enough to record it.

Pope

Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:42 am

With NBC in last place among the big 3 networks, I dont think that anything is off the table.
Hypocrisy. It's the new black for liberals.

SYRGuy

Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:06 am

I think it would be a disaster. Jerry Seinfeld said it best when Seinfeld quit running, "you have to leave them wanting more, thats when you know you've quit at the right time".

Don't mess with something that can't get any better.
"My offer is this......Nothing, not even the fee for the gaming license"

fumanchewd

Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:50 am

Quoting PIA777 (Reply 13):
white people in it.

No thank you, Martin has already been cancelled. Lay off the Eldrige Cleaver books.

I hated this show. A bunch of gregarious idiots telling lame jokes. BTW, how many people do you know who work in a coffee house and live in Manhattan?
In the time of chimpanzees, I was a monkey...

cedarjet

Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:26 pm

I have to say that Friends is one of the best TV shows ever. It will be watched (by whom, I cannot say) in a hundred years or more. I got into Friends about halfway through it's life, liked it for a few series then kind of tuned out, it was just humming along in the background so there were whole chunks that just slid by without me seeing a single episode, ie series 8, 9, most of the last one. May I also say that The Final Episode was a hideous disappointment, American telly has some great Final Epsodes, such as the last MASH when the helicopter takes off from the beach and written in the sand is GOODBYE. Johnny Carson and Jerry Seinfeld went out in style as well. And it's a rare chance that a TV series gets that far in the US. In Europe, something will run for the length it's commissioned for ie six episodes, twelve episodes then not picke up. In the US, when they give you the chop, someone walks onto the set in mid shoot and tells everyone to stop what they're doing and go home. Now. No, right now. Put that down, which really happens, that's what happened to Ali McBeal. Now there's a big-in-the-day show that vanished in disgrace (Dame Edna!) from our screen and popular consciousness forever. So anyway, back to Friends, the Final Episode was crap. But nonetheless, I was absolutely stunned that the show had actually stopped. How could this be? The final link to the 90s, Clinton in the White House, Manhattan skyline unmolested, etc, had been severed, and quite unexpectedly. Friends is gone! Wow! I was in a state of shock for about three days. For the last few weeks (months?), cable channel E4 has been running two episodes a night, and doing them every three hours (6pm, 8pm etc) plus the timeshift +1 channel (7pm, 9pm etc) and I have almost been making a point of watching it every night, either the early show before going out, or the later one if I get home in the middle of the evening. It is already slightly naive and out of date but the quality of the writing is so strong that the bum notes are really few and far between. Ever seen the movie of the Odd Couple with Jack Lemmon and Walter Mathau? Same thing, but with Friends there's days worth of it, rather than 90 minutes, and like I said, the quality almost never wavers.

Quoting Aloges (Reply 12):
I learnt written Portuguese and spoken English watching subtitled episodes of it, so I'm a bit partial to the series

(Aloges is from Deutchland btw). I'm about to learn French the exact same way.

but as so often happens they milked it long after it had ceased to be funny or original ...

I disagree, I think it gets better as it goes along. The early episodes are the painful ones, the show hadn't settled into what it ended up as. Like early Simpsons, where Homer's voice is lower etc.

Quoting IceTitan447 (Reply 22):
Joey, what ever became of him?

Oh god. I've only seen a few episodes and I'd have to be incredibly bored to watch another one, even as a major Friends fan (see above). Like 14.5 hours into a Toronto-Hong Kong flight on Cathay with ODTV and I've done five films and three documentaries and a concert film and half a dozen episodes of the The Office (astonishingly underrated US version pref) and a couple of hours on the nose camera, then maybe I would fire up an episode of Joey, but by then I would be so ga-ga that I wouldn't notice how freakishly unfunny the show actually is. Awful. I read a book by the drummer from the band Semisonic and they're on Letterman which is a real step up for them and they want lots of people to see the song. Unfortunately Matt Le Blanc is on before them and is the dullest guest in the history of the show and the ratings, by the time the band play their song at the end of the show, no-one's watching. He tells it in a nice enough way but there's no hiding the truth of what happened, the the hapless Friends is not exactly Mr Personality. Even by the dismal standard of the other Friends' acting careers (didn't like it when fucking Ross turned up on Curb Your Enthusiam series five btw), Le Blanc hasn't done much of anything. None of them can act, they're like a band who only function together, ie Duran Duran. I don't think anyone in the musical fraternity is gagging to work with Simon Le Bon are they? (Aha, never noticed the similarity in the names before, maybe they're the same person; ever been seen in the same room? thought not) But Le Bon - if he's with the other four (3x Taylor + Nick Rhodes) and the ticket says Duran Duran - can fill 15,000 seat arenas on two or three nights in London and elsewhere, so there's obviously something going on (fyi unlike Friends, I've never been into Duran, not my bag; but it clearly works). But on his own? It's just terrible in ways I can't explain.

Anyway. Friends rocks. Zzzzzzz.
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

halls120

Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:34 pm

Quoting Newark777 (Reply 1):
I certainly hope not. And if it does, I hope it suffers the same fate as Joey.

Harry

Couldn't have said it better. It was a good show in its time, but to come back would be ridiculous.
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

zootrix

Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:37 pm

Positively not! A stupid programme, with stupid humour for a stupid audience.
Just someone incinerate the tapes please!

Thanks.

whitehatter

Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:52 pm

Dear God no...

Friends was the epitome of bland network crap, as funny as colonic irrigation.

The only show which is deservedly being resurrected is Futurama. Friends should be consigned to the darkest dusty vault possible. It went on far too long as it was.
Lead me not into temptation, I can find my own way there...

PIA777

Mon Jan 30, 2006 4:04 pm

Quoting Fumanchewd (Reply 25):
I hated this show. A bunch of gregarious idiots telling lame jokes. BTW, how many people do you know who work in a coffee house and live in Manhattan?

half of them did not have Jobs and they all lived in nice apartments and
wore nice cloths. I think Only Ross and Chandler had real Jobs.

PIA777
GO CUBS!!