jetjack74

Eating While Driving? Who Does It?

Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:55 pm

While I was driving home to the city earlier today, I was watching the car behind swerving erratically in between lanes on the floating bridge. I was about to call 911 and report a possible drunk driver, when the car pulled beside me, where I was able to glance over and see that it was a girl stuffing her face with a burger and fries. I know I've been guilty of picking a fry or 2 out of the bag while driving, but eating sandwich while at the wheel. How many people here do this? Is this any more dangerous than talking on the cellphone or playing with your ipod in your car?
Made from jets!

andz

RE: Eating While Driving? Who Does It?

Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:01 pm

I have done it but only on a long long trip, not in my daily trips. If I am alone in the car I don't eat anything that is likely to fall apart or squirt anything because that will distract me.
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

USAFHummer

Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:08 pm

French Fries are the only food I routinely eat while driving, though I probably shouldn't as the grease gets all over the steering wheel, and makes it slick sometimes...

Greg
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

GSPITNL

Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:17 pm

Guilty As Charged.....I eat everything in the car as I am driving around.
Fly Delta - The Only Way To Fly! Silver Medallion Baby :)

AsstChiefMark

Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:41 pm

I do it when necessary. However, I'm always sipping on a 44 ounce Diet "Something" when on the road.

I wouldn't try it when driving in the UK, however. It's a great way to get the blue lights in the rearview.

Mark
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

tbar220

Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:43 pm

If I'm driving through central Illinois on the long haul where the highways are as straight as Pat Robertson, then I can drive carefully and eat at the same time. I don't do it often though, only if I'm very hungry. I'll sip on a drink, that doesn't distract me from my driving.
NO URLS in signature

Logan22L

Sun Jan 29, 2006 4:09 pm

I can steer with my knees, and eat my food at the same time. I've done it for 25 years; never had a problem (and I've had to do evasive maneuvers many times). I can smoke a cigarette and talk on my cellphone all at the same time as eating. Sorry if you're too stupid or uncoordinated to pull it off. Don't bust my balls because of that.

Worry about something else. I'm not your problem.
"The deeper you go, the higher you fly. The higher you fly, the deeper you go."

NeilYYZ

Sun Jan 29, 2006 4:25 pm

I'm guilty of eating while driving. Normally it's McDonald's, however, I think I am quite capable of driving, I always have one hand on the wheel, which is how most people drive, especially if it's stick. I drive an automatic, so instead of one hand on the wheel and the other on the stick I have one hand on the wheel and the other on a burger. However, if the situation were to arise where I needed to take evasive maneuvers, I would drop that burger in a heartbeat and clean up the mess afterwards.

Depending on the severity of the evasive maneuver I had to take their might be another mess to worry about as well, so if you need to lean one, might as well add the other to it.

- Neil
It may be too early to drink scotch... But it is NEVER too early to think about it...

saxdiva

Sun Jan 29, 2006 4:29 pm

If I didn't eat in my car, I'd probably end up starving to death, so I'd recommend avoiding any part of the state that I'm in if that sort of thing bothers you.

And yes, shuffling your ipod is more dangerous. I figured out where my mouth was a long time ago, so I don't have to take my eyes off the road in order to find it anymore.

ANCFlyer

Sun Jan 29, 2006 4:54 pm

Quoting Logan22L (Reply 6):
Sorry if you're too stupid or uncoordinated to pull it off. Don't bust my balls because of that.

Quoting Saxdiva (Reply 8):
so I'd recommend avoiding any part of the state that I'm in if that sort of thing bothers you.

rotfl 

I do it all the time.

Easy enough to do, easier than find that damned small narrow slot in the CD player on the dash that's for damn sure.

I drink while I drive too . . . . noooooo, not that kind of drink . . . you know . . . coffee, a coke, that sort of thing.

Never a problem.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

jetjack74

Sun Jan 29, 2006 5:07 pm

Sorry if you're too stupid or uncoordinated to pull it off. Don't bust my balls because of that

Was I busting anybody's balls, Logan? I just asked the question. If you can do it no problem, fine then. I was just remarking that the girl that was eating, driving was swerving in and out of lanes. She almost sideswiped another car. She obviously couldn't.

Worry about something else. I'm not your problem.

I'll worry about roadrage from a chainsmoking, high cholesterol-oholic, angioplast candidate whilst driving on I-95 in Boston.  Wink
Made from jets!

Matt72033

Sun Jan 29, 2006 5:50 pm

all the time....i can eat most things whilst driving, including a bowl of cereal!

ETStar

Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:13 pm

Used to do it at one point when working for this company where the only down time I really had was when driving to site visitations or to meetings and whatnots. Have done the burgers, fries, whistle dogs etc... oh, poutines too. Now that I think of it however, how I was able to injest that type of food is way beyond me... let alone the the eating while driving.

HAWK21M

Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:51 pm

If its a sandwich or a Vada pav.....Maybe but only if Im really hungry.
Check this LINK
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

aer lingus

Sun Jan 29, 2006 7:07 pm

I only eat if the car is stopped at traffic lights or while plane spotting. On long journeys I usually plan where would I stop and eat.
Split Scimitar or Sharklets?

RobK

Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:28 pm

Some things are easier to eat than others on the move. For example, I don't recommend trying to eat a grated cheese sandwich, because you'll end up having eaten the bread and all the cheese will be down your top and in your lap.

Things with excessive amounts of mayo or any type of sauce in them are another one to avoid.

Have to admit to doing it a lot and never encountered any problems, except the aforementioned ones, but you learn by your mistakes  Wink.

R

mhodgson

Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:22 am

If I eat at the wheel, it is usually only a brunch bar or something, as I can eat it one handed and put it down. I'd never eat fast food as it would get messy!
No trees were harmed by this message. However, several million electrons were terribly inconvenienced

dc10s4ever

Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:55 am

I never eat in my car. Not because of safety issues, but because I dont want my car to stink of food.

Sabena332

Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:59 am

Since I have my new car I don't eat and smoke in it. In my old car I ate frequently, the most difficult thing to eat while driving was doner kebab.

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

luv2fly

Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:05 am

Quoting Saxdiva (Reply 8):
And yes, shuffling your ipod is more dangerous. I figured out where my mouth was a long time ago, so I don't have to take my eyes off the road in order to find it anymore.

True, very true. I have to agree. Yes at times I eat while driving, mostly though it is bottled water that I am consuming.
You can cut the irony with a knife

airtrainer

Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:08 am

No, I don't like to eat in my car, and I don't do it now especially because it's a brand new one  Smile
Life is short : eat dessert first !

Logan22L

Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:43 am

Quoting Jetjack74 (Reply 10):
Was I busting anybody's balls, Logan?

No, and my comment was directed at society, not at you. Smile

Quoting Jetjack74 (Reply 10):
I'll worry about roadrage from a chainsmoking, high cholesterol-oholic, angioplast candidate whilst driving on I-95 in Boston.

Now that's a valid concern. Sometimes I fell like I should just shove my lunch directly into my aorta. Then we might have a problem.

CO7e7

Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:04 am

Quoting USAFHummer (Reply 2):
French Fries are the only food I routinely eat while driving

same here, along with chicken nuggets ! Big grin

Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:11 am

All of you that do...Stop. Concentrate on driving.

Get off your cell phones too.

B

Matt72033

Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:43 am

Quoting NonRevKing (Reply 23):
All of you that do...Stop. Concentrate on driving.

Get off your cell phones too.

yes mum

jetjack74

Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:33 am

Quoting Logan22L (Reply 21):
No, and my comment was directed at society, not at you.

Roger that.

Quoting Logan22L (Reply 21):
Now that's a valid concern. Sometimes I fell like I should just shove my lunch directly into my aorta. Then we might have a problem.

Well, when someones in a hurry, I just get out of the way.
Made from jets!

KevinL1011

Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:08 am

I can steer with my knees, and eat my food at the same time.

I learned it when I was a courier. I could read a Thomas Guide and packing slips while driving. However, I was always careful to visually clear at least 10 seconds of time and space ahead of me and never did it through an intersection or any cross street.
This is not an endorsement for in-attentative driving. Always look where you're going and buckle up for safety.

Remember "Un-intended Acceleration"? Audi 5000's that would take off on their own and the brakes were ineffective. The reason why you now have to push the brake pedal to shift out of P?

Well...it was found that the Audi was just fine, however the pedal placement was found to be in a close proximity for fat footed Americans who would have half their shoe on the brake and the other half would unknowingly roll over and push the accelerator. That's why the harder they pushed the brake...the more they pushed the accelerator.

It was also found that a high number of these incidents occurred when the driver had an object between their legs (usually a drink). Many occurred near fast food drive through's. This would alter their foot placement.

And....No. Don't worry about your anatomy interferring Logan. You learned to drive that way.  Wink
474218, Carl, You will be missed.

MigFan

Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:23 am

Guilty!

I have between a seventy five and ninety minute commute, one way every morning. This is to go a total of thirty two miles! As a result of the massive amount of time in my truck, I do other things. I watch videos on my iPod, use my electric shaver, and eat my morning bananna.
Once I get up to speed, I devote more attention to driving. There is not much point in paying 100% attention when you are going three miles per hour! If I can multitask enough to fly a plane, land-based multitasking is easy.
The most outrageous thing I have seen someone do is eat a bowl of from a open Tupperware container! Yikes...

/M
UH-60's suck!!!

Logan22L

Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:25 am

Quoting Kevinl1011 (Reply 26):
Don't worry about your anatomy interferring Logan. You learned to drive that way.

I've found that if I tuck it in my sock, I'm relatively unencumbered.