Topic Author

Canadian Aboriginal Culture And Gays/Lesbians

Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:40 pm

I found this article in yesterdays Whitehorse Star kinda interesting and thought I'd share it here. I won't put the whole thing in because I don't want to get into the whole copyrights issue and I won't bother with a link because you need to be a paying member of their site to access the article online which I aint and am assuming few if any members here are.

Basicly the small article says that in native culture around here there were 3 genders: male, female, and the male-female. The 2 spirited or male-female type people were not looked down upon. They were said to have had recieved a gift from the creator, which was "the privilage to house both male and female spirits in their bodies" and "had the ability to see the world from two perspectives". They were respected, considered sacred and "held important spiritual and ceremonial responsibilities". It then claims that when the Europeans arrived "the tradition was eradicated, or at least sent underground".

My question is if it worked so well for non-straight people in their culture however long ago, why are they often looked down on and disrespected in our supposedly more advanced culture now?

What could possibly go wrong?