Catatonic
Topic Author

Which Country Has The Worst Food?

Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:16 pm

A poll, aside from your own which country makes the worst food. Personally I have to say Spain. I am not a great lover of meat and they use a lot of meat in their cooking. I eat chicken but thats about it. If I was a vegetarian I would have starved. But I am sure that Spanish food is great to other people. Come to think of it Greece was pretty dire too but I think I will stick to Spain. Those caramel deserts are rancid. Anyone who has been all inclusive to spain will understand.
Equally Cursed and Blessed.

kiwiandrew

RE: Which Country Has The Worst Food?

Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:19 pm

judging by Pearson and Gkirks eating habits as displayed in this forum I would have to say United Kingdom ( England ) and United Kingdom ( Scotland) must tie at the bottom of the culinary rubbish heap .

LHMark

Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:21 pm

Ever been to Canada? Their national dish is the donut.
"Sympathy is something that shouldn't be bestowed on the Yankees. Apparently it angers them." - Bob Feller

Pe@rson

Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:22 pm

I used to live in Cairo, Egypt.

There's an awful lot of good things going for the city - it's my favourite - but there isn't really a cuisine as such. Indeed, most main meals tend just to be boring slabs of meat. Of course, you have delicious things like fuul and the other stuff, but those aren’t really sufficient for breakfast, lunch and dinner, every day of the week.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

Daleaholic

Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:22 pm

Quoting Catatonic (Thread starter):
I am not a great lover of meat

You're missing out, Spanish meats are delicious! I've been all inclusive and yes they have horrible caramel desserts, but they do have creme caramel which is nice.
Religion is an illusion of childhood... Outgrown under proper education.

petertenthije

Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:24 pm

The Netherlands.

The only real contribution to world cuisine are pancakes, liquirice and some fast food thingies (frikandel, kroket). That's it. Ooh, and we have made a bad rip-of Indonesian food as well.
Attamottamotta!

Catatonic
Topic Author

Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:26 pm

Quoting LHMARK (Reply 2):
Ever been to Canada? Their national dish is the donut.

Mmmmm....Donut, and then across the border for a greasy burger and fries. Actually, come to think of it the US has some pretty weird eating habits. Not bad, just weird. Like having biscuits with KFC. But the biscuits dont look like biscuits they look like fairy cakes. And sometimes they put gravy over them and have it for breakfast, but the gravy isnt gravy its mushrooms soup. And whats the obsession with mash potatoe?!??!?

[Edited 2006-01-29 15:28:37]

Catatonic
Topic Author

Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:30 pm

.........and another thing, given that america has such a large indo-american population, how come none of them know how to cook a proper CURRY!!!!

ME AVN FAN

Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:31 pm

This might result in a narrow rivalry between Great Britain and the Netherlands. The amazing result of English cuisine quite obviously is the world leading choice of "ethnic" restaurants in London, making London the metropolis with the worst local cuisine and the best gastronomy. In Amsterdam, the Indonesians rescue the day.

JAGflyer

Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:39 pm

England/UK -Basically take lard or fat and put it with any food then deep fry it and you've got English cooking.
Support the beer and soda can industry, your recycle old airplanes!

Braybuddy

Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:42 pm

Without doubt the worst food on Earth used to be in the former Soviet bloc countries. . . most of it was literally inedible. I'm sure they're coming on now, but I thing there's some way to go. I was in Budapest not so long ago and you had to search hard for good food.

kiwiandrew

Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:42 pm

Quoting JAGflyer (Reply 9):
Basically take lard or fat and put it with any food then deep fry it and you've got English cooking.

add a pile of salt on top and you've got Scottish cooking ... then take that and tip a bucket of cream over it and you have Flemish cooking

Catatonic
Topic Author

Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:44 pm

Quoting Kiwiandrew (Reply 11):
add a pile of salt on top and you've got Scottish cooking ... then take that and tip a bucket of cream over it and you have Flemish cooking

Now add a bit of sugar and coco powder and uve got belgian chocolates!!

ConcordeBoy

Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:48 pm

Quoting Kiwiandrew (Reply 1):
I would have to say United Kingdom ( England ) and United Kingdom ( Scotland)

No joke... I'm in total agreement here!
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

TACAA320

Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:54 pm

Personally I have to say Spain.

I have to say that Spain has some of the greatest food in this world. On the other hand, some East European countries based their food in "the other white meat". That's simply awful [for me].
'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind'. Albert Einstein

Beaucaire

Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:58 pm

Have to agree with Pe@rson - egyptian cooking is an insult to the Middle East- you basically only can survive in Cairo on lebanese,indian or anglo-saxon food.
The typical cairo-breakfast for the poor people are "foul" or beans with garlic...
Otherwise the more elaborate meals would be composed out of tahina, pickles, babaganoush, falafel, tomato and cheese salad, roasted eggplant strips - that's about it !
But i think that french food has gone down the drain to a large extent!
Other than some expensive-top class restaurants,the average cooking in France is very often re-heated stuff from large supermarket chains,sold deep-froozen to "retaurateurs" who just put it in a microwave oven...
Normal,everyday food in an average street restaurant is better in Italy,Austria or Spain.(not to speak from Lebanon or Turkey )Yes there are great chef's in France but the price-performance ratio is just out of control.
Other counties wher food was not really an exiting experience were Bulgaria,Romania,Russia and Croatia ( exept grilled seafood-but that's not really cooking..)
Please respect animals - don't eat them...

kiwiandrew

Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:58 pm

Quoting TACAA320 (Reply 14):
"the other white meat".

huh ???

Matt72033

Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:01 am

france!
anyone who eats snails has real issues!

AeroWesty

Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:04 am

Quoting Kiwiandrew (Reply 16):
Quoting TACAA320 (Reply 14):"the other white meat".

huh ???

It oinks.  Wink
International Homo of Mystery

kiwiandrew

Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:06 am

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 18):
It oinks.

that's a relief ! I thought he was implying East Europeans are all cannibals Big grin

Pe@rson

Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:09 am

Beaucaire -

My favourite restaurant in Cairo is a tiny one called Al Dente on Bagat Ali in north Zamalek. It's Italian. It's actually regarded as the city's best Italian and is very busy (despite being no bigger than a bedroom). For under £1, you can get a big plate of very good pasta, a cola or lemonade and garlic bread. Lip-smackingly good.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

neder99

Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:12 am

Ukraine.

Point out any other country which has at least a dozen flavoured versions of pure FAT (pig's fat presumably).
Looks a bit like cheese on the plate, but it sure don't taste like cheese.

Matt72033

Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:14 am

what do you guys have against our food? just out of interest?

Beaucaire

Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:18 am

Pe@rson - I survived on Kandahar indian restaurant -Shar'a Gameat al-Dowal al-Arabiya, Mohandiseen, which is part of the Oberoi group( they have a second one in the Mena House ) - this place is just as good as any top -indian place in London or Mumbai...Since I lived just a few blocks away- but for the more reasonable food I called on Papillion Lebanese...
Please respect animals - don't eat them...

comorin

Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:29 am

BUT

Britain has the world's best desserts
Holland /Germany great breads, cold cuts and cheeses for breakfast
Canada - best maple syrup and sugar pie
Spain - Sublime Tapas
Scotland - Smoked Salmon

SO THERE!!!  Smile

kiwiandrew

Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:32 am

Quoting Comorin (Reply 24):
Scotland - Smoked Salmon

and venison , and cheeses and superb lamb and beef ....I agree , Scotland ( and England ) do produce some indescribably wonderful food , which makes it all the more astounding that day to day most people eat utter utter crap

jush

Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:43 am

Quoting Petertenthije (Reply 5):
The only real contribution to world cuisine are pancakes, liquirice and some fast food thingies (frikandel, kroket). That's it. Ooh, and we have made a bad rip-of Indonesian food as well.

Concur but if one is searching for a good fast food meal, Dutch fast food is the best. I love Frikandel Spezial, Kroket etc.

Regds
jush
There is one problem with airbus. Though their products are engineering marvels they lack passion, completely.

cosec59

Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:45 am

Quoting Matt72033 (Reply 17):
france!
anyone who eats snails has real issues!

I like snails. Shame we don't see them on menus very often here
Rules are for the obedience of fools but for the guidance of wise men

AeroWesty

Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:50 am

Quoting Matt72033 (Reply 22):
what do you guys have against our food?

Far too many offal products does it for me, but I can always find something nice to eat.

I also like the Dutch style of eating, especially when you order a main and they bring out a plate of a few different kinds of potatoes and veg to share. The Dutch also have the best coffee--puts Starbucks to absolute shame.
International Homo of Mystery

max999

Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:51 am

Quoting Comorin (Reply 24):
Holland /Germany great breads, cold cuts and cheeses for breakfast

Germany has great breads and pastries.

However, they seem to pickle every imaginable vegetable out there. I found the fruit/vegetable selection in Germany to be pretty awful...

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 8):
This might result in a narrow rivalry between Great Britain and the Netherlands. The amazing result of English cuisine quite obviously is the world leading choice of "ethnic" restaurants in London, making London the metropolis with the worst local cuisine and the best gastronomy. In Amsterdam, the Indonesians rescue the day.

Most restaurants in London are sooooooooooooo incredibly expensive (except for fast food curry and fish places). I don't think most regular Londoners can afford to enjoy all that great ethnic food all that often.

When I go to London, all I see are Londoners grabbing fistfulls of those disgusting refrigerated pre-packaged sandwiches. It seems like it's the only thing normal Londoners eat on a day-to-day basis. And if living in London is anything like living in New York City, most Londoners' have apartments with tiny kitchens which are too small to cook a decent meal.

Even though Londoners have all these great choices, I believe many of those restaurants are priced out of reach...

[Edited 2006-01-29 16:55:22]
All the things I really like to do are either immoral, illegal, or fattening.

kiwiandrew

Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:57 am

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 28):
The Dutch also have the best coffee--puts Starbucks to absolute shame.

any halfway decent coffee puts Starf*cks to shame

Catatonic
Topic Author

Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:58 am

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 28):
Far too many offal products does it for me

Thats rich coming from the land whos national dish is the burger!!

jush

Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:10 am

Quoting Kiwiandrew (Reply 30):

any halfway decent coffee puts Starf*cks to shame

I wouldn't even call it a "Muckefuk" (Germans should know what i mean)

REgds
jush
There is one problem with airbus. Though their products are engineering marvels they lack passion, completely.

ual777

Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:35 am

Quoting Matt72033 (Reply 22):
what do you guys have against our food? just out of interest?

I don't like it much either. Its just boring, bland, and not very tastey.

I love authentic food from Mexico City. The street tacos are AWESOME, but will leave you with the runs for about 2 weeks.

Colombian food is excellent as well. Lots of rice and chicken. The "Arepa" gets a little boring after a while though.

German cheese and sausage are pretty good.

Don't remember anything about the other countries I've been to though.

I just like how everyone thinks all that Americans eat is KFC and McDonalds...
I eat at Dairy Queen too...... Wink

On a more serious note, there are EXCELLENT restaurants in the south. I have also found pizza in the US to be far superior to any other country I have been to.
It is always darkest before the sun comes up.

Matt72033

Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:47 am

Quoting UAL777 (Reply 33):
I don't like it much either. Its just boring, bland, and not very tastey.

you say this.....

German cheese and sausage are pretty good.

and then this....obviosuly you havent tried good british cheese's and we have fantastic sausages!......better than any sausage ive ever tatsed in the states anyway!

AA777

Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:58 am

-Switzerland/ Germany: These nations have what I call a "trade-off" in cuisine. I enjoy the breakfast foods there very much; cold meats, cheeses, as well as yogurts.... the European breakfast is great. But, when it comes to main courses.... I've found that sausages just dont cut it... I can eat it sometimes, but the whole meat and potatoes thing gets old fast. I do love to visit these countries and I have been several times....I'm just not the biggest fan of the cuisine.

-America: What can I say, fast food is disgusting and is everywhere. Unfortunately I find myself eating it. There needs to be major grease control. Someone else mentioned the obsession with mashed potatoes.... I dont get it either.... I will say that sometimes you can't beat fried chicken... lol.

-Spain: Great paella..........I'm not into the seafood or the lamb though.

-Egypt: Someone mentioned Egyptian cooking as being "an insult" to the middle east. I'd say that's more or less true. They have a dish, "Kosheri" which is good.......other than that.... Egypt is lacking in great food.

Go to Lebanon and eat real Middle Eastern food. They'll bring you so much you beg them to stop with one hand, and accept more food with the other. Its that good in Lebanon.  Smile  Smile

jush

Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:12 am

On a more serious note, there are EXCELLENT restaurants in the south. I have also found pizza in the US to be far superior to any other country I have been to.

Well at least for me American pizza doesn't do it. I like it more the italian way
But then again tastes are different.

REgds
jush

Sabena332

Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:20 am

A poll, aside from your own which country makes the worst food. Personally I have to say Spain.

Are you kidding? In my opinion is Spain the country with the the best food on earth, they have excellent seafood dishes and I am also a big fan of Tappas.

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

British767

Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:23 am

The worst cuisine I've had was in Russia. Seemed tasteless.

I like American food (no it's not all fast food) but it is so jam-packed full of calories and general crap.

ME AVN FAN

Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:25 am

Quoting AA777 (Reply 35):
Switzerland/

Try "Zueri-Gschnetzlets/VeauZurichoise". Other "Swiss" meals are Spaghetti, Goulash, Entrecote, Escalope, etc ! People from Basel may recommend the Basler Flour Soup, while people towards the west will advocate Fondue (standard, bourguignonne, chinoise).

AR1300

Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:26 am

the US.just crap food.

Mike
You are now free to move about the cabin

ual777

Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:27 am

Quoting Jush (Reply 36):
Well at least for me American pizza doesn't do it. I like it more the italian way
But then again tastes are different.

Thats what it boils down too.

Much to Gkirk's horror, I also love lambchops.  Wink
It is always darkest before the sun comes up.

aloges

Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:33 am

I've found that sausages just dont cut it... I can eat it sometimes

Same here, and I dare say most Germans don't have sausage all that often; at least you'll hardly find them on the menu in most restaurants. They're fast food, plain and simple - and sometimes, they're disgusting as well. I can't even remember the last time I had a sausage.

but the whole meat and potatoes thing gets old fast

Ain't that the truth... I can't stand boiled potatoes, at least if there's no sauce to go with them! They are so dry, you have to drink a lot to swallow them. Living at uni, I haven't made boiled potatoes in the past one and a half years. Rice and noodles are far better, not to speak of the time you save with them.
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

aer lingus

Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:54 am

For me it is the Guangdong Province in China. They are not very hygenic in preparation food. Some of the chefs smoke while preparing the food. Also I don't really know if the water that I drank contains any harmful chemicals etc. As it tasted a bit weird. I don't think food in the south east of china are quality assured except Hongkong and Macau.
Split Scimitar or Sharklets?

Logan22L

Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:55 am

Personally I have to say Spain. I am not a great lover of meat and they use a lot of meat in their cooking

I live about 100 yards from a fantastic Spanish restaurant. If anything, I'd say their menu is heavy on the fish/seafood side.

Quoting Petertenthije (Reply 5):
we have made a bad rip-of Indonesian food as well.

I had rijsttafel three times in AMS, and it was some of the very best food I've ever eaten. Ever tried Kantjil? It's on Spuistraat.
"The deeper you go, the higher you fly. The higher you fly, the deeper you go."

mdsh00

Mon Jan 30, 2006 4:06 am

Quoting Catatonic (Reply 6):
Like having biscuits with KFC. But the biscuits dont look like biscuits they look like fairy cakes.

Biscuits are the best. It's been a part of American cooking for many years (Southern Cooking). I once went to KFC in Dubai and all they had were Hamburger buns instead.  Angry

Quoting Catatonic (Reply 7):
.........and another thing, given that america has such a large indo-american population, how come none of them know how to cook a proper CURRY!!!!

We have a large Indo-American population but we are so scattered, and been around only for the last 40 years, that we haven't yet made an impact on American culture like in the UK. Thats why the curries are a little more bland to suit American taste.

For all the American Food critics out there, it isn't all junk food and Americans don't eat hamburgers every day. Even though a lot of people like to bash the South, they have some of the best cooking in the country. Cajun food, creole, Soul Food, etc. Chicago and NY make some really good Pizza's, and hell, California has its own type of cuisine. Go to an Thanksgiving Dinner in the US and you can see some good food. But again, preference in food, like so many other things, is subjective
"Look Lois, the two symbols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a big fat white guy who is threatened by change."

cfalk

Mon Jan 30, 2006 4:15 am

Which Country Has The Worst Food?

Without question, Great Britain.

I have a theory. The reason why the British went off and built an empire that spanned the globe was to enable them to find better food elsewhere and get away from the bangers and beans.
The only thing you should feel when shooting a terrorist: Recoil.

cosec59

Mon Jan 30, 2006 4:18 am

Quoting Cfalk (Reply 46):
and get away from the bangers and beans.

The's nothing wrong with bangers and beans.
I think now we have such a vast range of different food styles there is something to suit everyones taste
Rules are for the obedience of fools but for the guidance of wise men

Avianca

Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:14 am

without competition, the food from the UnitedKingdom

regards
Avianca
Colombia es el Mundo Y el Mundo es Colombia

Sabena332

Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:22 am

Quoting Aloges (Reply 42):
at least you'll hardly find them on the menu in most restaurants

I just had dinner in a restaurant with my girly and now guess what I read on their menu card?.......... "Blutwurstravioli mit Sauerkraut". WTF?????

This is also the first time that I saw that a restaurant is serving some kind of sausage (and in a very strange way, too). Their menu card was very strage in general but the 250 gramm steak with pepper sauce did it for me in the end.  Wink

Quoting Aloges (Reply 42):
They're fast food, plain and simple

Correct, all kinds of sausages are fast food, especially in the Ruhr Area is a curry-sausage with fries and majo a very popular fast food dish.

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!