9VSPO
Topic Author

Train Plummets With 600 On Board

Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:28 am

A passenger train carrying up to 600 people has derailed in Pakistan, sending several carriages plummeting into a ravine.

It is not yet known how many people have been hurt in the incident. Salimur Rahman Akhund, general manager of operations for Pakistan Railways, told the Associated Press news agency that four of the train's carriages had gone into the ravine.

However, other reports said as many as six had plunged over the edge of a 50ft cliff. Army troops have been dispatched to help in the rescue. The accident took place near the town of Jhelum in eastern Punjab province.

The train had been heading to Lahore, the capital of Punjab, from Rawalpindi, a city near Islamabad, when it came off the tracks. Pakistan suffered its worst train crash in a decade last year, when a train driver misinterpreted a signal, pulled into a station and slammed into another train. More than 130 people died in that accident, near Ghotki, in southern Sindh province.

dl021

RE: Train Plummets With 600 On Board

Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:32 am

My hopes and prayers are asking for the safety of the passengers and for the solace of their families. Pakistan has certainly seen its share of tragedy this last year.
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

Aleksandar

Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:52 am

It sounds like the accident in Montenegro less then a week ago. I hope there are no fatalities in Pakistan.
R-E-S-P-E-C-T

jacobin777

Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:14 am

Quoting Aleksandar (Reply 2):
It sounds like the accident in Montenegro less then a week ago. I hope there are no fatalities in Pakistan.

so far only 3 fatalities have occurred.........given how many people and the fact it plunged down an embankment, a lot more could have died..

Quoting DL021 (Reply 1):
My hopes and prayers are asking for the safety of the passengers and for the solace of their families. Pakistan has certainly seen its share of tragedy this last year.

ditto.. checkmark 
"Up the Irons!"