rootsair

What Does Your Country's Name Mean?Check It Out!

Mon Jan 30, 2006 4:12 am

I found this really cool link on wikipedia that says about every country's name origin.... If ever your are curious about what your country's name means or any other one,
check this page
A man without the knowledge of his past history,culture and origins is like a tree without roots

andz

RE: What Does Your Country's Name Mean?Check It Out!

Mon Jan 30, 2006 4:22 am

South Africa was a tough one to figure out!  Smile
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

MD11junkie

Mon Jan 30, 2006 4:32 am

And Argentina too - right what I was taught. Big grin

Argentina - "land of silver"
From the Latin argentum, meaning "silver". Early Spanish and Portuguese traders used the region's Rio de la Plata or "Silver River" to transport silver and other treasures from upstream Peru. The land around the terminal downstream stations became known as Argentina – "Land of Silver".

Cheers! wave 
Gastón - The MD11 Junkie
There is no such thing as Boeing vs Airbus as the queen of the skies has three engines, winglets and the sweetest nose!

AsstChiefMark

Mon Jan 30, 2006 4:40 am

The United States of America is tough to figure out.  Wink

Mark
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

kiwiandrew

Mon Jan 30, 2006 4:42 am

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 3):
The United States of America is tough to figure out

even tougher than South Africa ???

BR076

Mon Jan 30, 2006 4:46 am

# Netherlands: Germanic "low lands"

* Holland (part of the Netherlands; the term is often used to refer to the country as a whole): Germanic "holt (i.e. wooded) land" (often incorrectly regarded as meaning "hollow [i.e. marsh] land")
* Batavia (Germanic): "arable land" (derived from the regional name "Betuwe", as opposed to the other regional name "Veluwe" meaning "fallow" or "waste" land)
ú

nighthawk

Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:03 am

Quote:

# Scotland: Land of the Scots, from Old English Scottas, "inhabitants of Ireland." Old English borrowed the word from late Latin Scotti, of unknown origin. It may possibly have come from an Irish term of scorn, scuit. After the departure of the Romans from Britain in 423 C.E., an Irish tribe invaded Scotland, and the name followed them. It later extended to other Irish who settled in the northern regions of Britain.

* Alba: The Scots- and Irish-Gaelic name for Scotland derives from the same Celtic root as the name Albion, which designates sometimes the entire island of Great Britain and sometimes the country of England, Scotland's southern neighbour. The term derives from an early Indo-European word meaning 'white', generally held to refer to the cliffs of white chalk around the English town of Dover, ironically located at the furthest end of Great Britain from Scotland itself.

See, we are a country  Silly

Catatonic

Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:11 am

We Welsh are foreigners!!!!
Equally Cursed and Blessed.

skidmarks

Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:57 am

Well, that says it all. The oldest continuous parliament in the world and the stupid "encyclopedia" doesnt even mention us. What a pile of crap.

Andy  old  Living in Ellann Vannin, otherwise known as the Isle of Man
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional

Daleaholic

Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:00 am

England is a nation and the largest and most populous constituent country of the United Kingdom accounting for more than 83% of the total UK population. It occupies most of the southern two-thirds of the island of Great Britain and shares land borders with fellow home nations Scotland, to the north, and Wales, to the west. Elsewhere, it is bordered by the sea.

England is named after the Angles, one of a number of Germanic tribes believed to have originated in Angeln in Northern Germany, who settled in England in the 5th and 6th centuries. This is also the origin of its Latin name Anglia. It has not had a distinct political identity since 1707, when Great Britain was established as a unified political entity; however, it has a legal identity separate from those of Scotland and Northern Ireland, as part of the entity "England and Wales". England's largest city, London, is also the capital of the United Kingdom.
Religion is an illusion of childhood... Outgrown under proper education.

Banco

Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:39 am

Quoting Catatonic (Reply 7):

That's actually one of the kinder translations. The original term also means "thief" or "criminal".
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

Sabena332

Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:42 am

Germany: from Latin "Germania", of the 3rd century BC, of unknown origin. The OED2 records theories about the Celtic roots gair, neighbour (from Zeuss), and gairm, battle-cry (from Wachter and Grimm). Partridge suggested *gar, to shout, and describes the gar (spear) theory as "obsolete". Italian, Romanian, and other languages use the latinate Germania as the name for Germany.

* Allemagne (French), Alemania (Spanish), Alemanha (Portuguese), Almanya (Turkish): either "land of all the men" i.e. "our many tribes" or from the Alamanni, a southern Germanic tribe.
* Deutschland (German), Duitsland (Dutch): from the Old High German word "diutisc", meaning 'of the people' (itself from ancient Germanic "thiuda" or "theoda" 'people') and "land" 'land': "land of the people". In English, "Dutch", the equivalent word to German "Deutsch", came to refer to the people of the (Netherlands).

Pretty interesting.

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

Christa

Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:59 am

Yay.. foreigners we are indeed.

Quoting Banco (Reply 10):

That's actually one of the kinder translations. The original term also means "thief" or "criminal".

Very true.. or so you thought..
http://TaffyNotAThief.notlong.com

Regards,
Chris

P.S. Wales for Six Nations!
Croeso i Faes Awyr Rhyngwladol Caerdydd - Welcome to Cardiff International Airport

HAWK21M

Mon Jan 30, 2006 4:26 pm

The India reason seems Interesting.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

Banco

Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:27 pm

Quoting Christa (Reply 12):
Very true.. or so you thought..
http://TaffyNotAThief.notlong.com

It isn't to do with the Taffy rhyme, the origin of the Wales name is much earlier - though you're correct in highlighting that part of it.

The irony about the etymology of Wales is that it was the Anglo-Saxon invaders who coined the rather unkind soubriquet, yet it was they who were the foreigners, not the Welsh.

By the way Christa, are you at Twickenham next week?

cornish

Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:34 pm

Quoting Banco (Reply 14):
The irony about the etymology of Wales is that it was the Anglo-Saxon invaders who coined the rather unkind soubriquet, yet it was they who were the foreigners, not the Welsh.

Funnily enough so are we - thats where the "wall" in Cornwall comes from.

The exact meaning is supposed to be something like this:

Quote from the website below: The name Cornwall is thought to derive from 'Cornovii' - a tribal name meaning 'horn people'. This could well refer to Cornwall's location at the end of the peninsula. The Anglo-Saxons took 'Corn' and added 'Wealas' meaning 'foreigners', hence Cornwall. Although this has been taken to mean the Welsh of the West, it appears that the Anglo-Saxons recognised the different origins of the Cornish people.

http://www.uk-cornwallexplore.co.uk/index.cfm?Articleid=1225
Just when I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, it was some B*****d with a torch bringing me more work

Banco

Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:41 pm

Quoting Cornish (Reply 15):
The name Cornwall is thought to derive from 'Cornovii' - a tribal name meaning 'horn people'

Odd. That looks like a Latinised version, don't you think?

cornish

Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:45 pm

Quoting Banco (Reply 16):
Odd. That looks like a Latinised version, don't you think?

Doesn't it just. Funnily enough there have been suggestions that we might actually be descended from the Med as well. Presumably it is to do with the fact that we are generally seen to be more closely related to the Galicians and Bretons than the Welsh or Scots. Maybe somewhere along the Galician/spanish line is how this name came about.

You see we're just a little bit more exotic than your (very) common or garden Scots, Irish or Welshman/woman  Wink
Just when I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, it was some B*****d with a torch bringing me more work

Rj111

Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:48 pm

Quoting MD11junkie (Reply 2):
Argentina - "land of silver"
From the Latin argentum, meaning "silver". Early Spanish and Portuguese traders used the region's Rio de la Plata or "Silver River" to transport silver and other treasures from upstream Peru. The land around the terminal downstream stations became known as Argentina – "Land of Silver".

Came up yesterday in a pub quiz i was at. "which country was named the land of silver?".

I figured as the chemical symbol for silver was Ag it would be Argentina. But my mate wasn't having it and they put down El Salvador, which i now know me "The Savior".

Banco

Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:55 pm

Quoting Cornish (Reply 17):
Doesn't it just. Funnily enough there have been suggestions that we might actually be descended from the Med as well. Presumably it is to do with the fact that we are generally seen to be more closely related to the Galicians and Bretons than the Welsh or Scots. Maybe somewhere along the Galician/spanish line is how this name came about.

Perhaps. But what is more likely I would think is that the modern name is derived from that the Romans gave the local tribe rather than anything else. It wouldn't be that unusual, of the major towns in England only Dover and London have obviously Celtic names. The others are either Roman, Anglo-Saxon, Jutish or Norse in origin.

cornish

Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:59 pm

Quoting Banco (Reply 19):
Perhaps. But what is more likely I would think is that the modern name is derived from that the Romans gave the local tribe rather than anything else.

Oh I agree - the Med connection was a related aside, not an expanation for our name.

While we're on the subject, as with Wales for example. most place names in Cornwall are from the Cornish language.

The village I come from - Portscatho - translates as "Small Harbour amongst the Rocks".

Banco

Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:03 pm

Quoting Cornish (Reply 20):
The village I come from - Portscatho - translates as "Small Harbour amongst the Rocks".

And just to show how different, yet similar in origin our place names can be, the town I grew up in, Hythe, means something similar: harbour or haven in Jutish.

skidmarks

Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:07 pm

Man of kent then Banco? Some hope for your soul then Big grin

Andy  old 

Banco

Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:12 pm

Quoting Skidmarks (Reply 22):
Man of kent then Banco? Some hope for your soul then

Indeed. Not to be confused with those Spawn of Satan, Kentishmen.  Wink

skidmarks

Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:20 pm

Took me years to work out who was who!!

Andy  old 

racko

Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:22 pm

Quoting Daleaholic (Reply 9):
England is named after the Angles, one of a number of Germanic tribes believed to have originated in Angeln in Northern Germany, who settled in England in the 5th and 6th centuries.

Just quoted to make all the Englishmen read it again  Smile

Banco

Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:32 pm

Quoting Racko (Reply 25):
Just quoted to make all the Englishmen read it again

You're proud that these people thought Germany was such a dump that they upped and left?  Wow!  Wink

KaiGywer
Crew

Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:53 pm

Norway
From the old Norse norðr and vegr "northern way". 'Norðrvegr' refers to long coastal passage from the western tip of Norway to its northernmost lands in the Arctic.
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an