DeltaGuy
Topic Author

Battleship USS Iowa- Unwelcome In San Fran?

Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:10 pm

Was watching Foxnews earlier, saw this story that was pretty outraging. Couldn't find the article, but here's a video of the newscast-

http://www.foxnews.com/video2/player...is%20Up&acc&Only%20on%20FOX&-1&exp

In a nutshell, The Iowa, which has been in mothballs for years, was proposed to be docked on a vacant pier near Candlestick park as a memorial and museum. The city's leaders have apparently expressed their sheer disapproval for the idea, stating that this warship represents an anti-gay military, and a military currently involved in an unpopular war. Kind of stupid if you ask me, playing trump cards like that.

Irony is, the sailors who served on this ship are the ones who gave these losers the right to be able to protest and say such moronic things.

DeltaGuy
"The cockpit, what is it?" "It's the little room in the front of the plane where the pilot sits, but that's not importan

ANCFlyer

RE: Battleship USS Iowa- Unwelcome In San Fran?

Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:14 pm

Quoting DeltaGuy (Thread starter):
The city's leaders have apparently expressed their sheer disapproval for the idea, stating that this warship represents an anti-gay military, and a military currently involved in an unpopular war. Kind of stupid if you ask me, playing trump cards like that

And this surprises you about SFO? Not I.

So, fuck San Francisco . . . take that ship to some place where it and it's history of providing for the freedoms of ALL - ALL - American's will be appreciated. And don't let any tourists from SFO on board.

Screw 'em.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

cfalk

Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:21 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 1):
And don't let any tourists from SFO on board.

Good idea!

It's so sad some people cannot see anything apart from ideology.
The only thing you should feel when shooting a terrorist: Recoil.

aaflt1871

Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:22 pm

Screw 'em.

The guys in San Fran might like you to do that to them ANCFlyer

As for the ship, i say set sail for Maryland, we will take that beauty
Where did everybody go?

Molykote

Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:27 pm

Some cool pics and info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Iowa_(BB-61)

I say that the ship should be parked in an area where she will be respected. This is a loss to nobody other than the fraction of the SFO population who is repressed by these ideologues running the place.
Speedtape - The aspirin of aviation!

garnetpalmetto

Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:52 pm

Quoting Molykote (Reply 4):
I say that the ship should be parked in an area where she will be respected.

I'd love to see her at Patriot's Point in Charleston right next to the Yorktown (CV-10).
South Carolina - too small to be its own country, too big to be a mental asylum.

JeffSFO

Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:55 pm

So, fuck San Francisco . . . take that ship to some place where it and it's history of providing for the freedoms of ALL - ALL - American's will be appreciated. And don't let any tourists from SFO on board.

Screw 'em.

No need to lump us all of us in SFO together on this one. I would like to see the U.S.S. Iowa moored here, as would Senator Feinstein:

http://www.sfexaminer.com/articles/2...en_garcia/20060112_co02_garcia.txt

NoUFO

Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:59 pm

Quoting Cfalk (Reply 2):
And don't let any tourists from SFO on board.

Good idea!

Stupid idea. Why shouldn't Diane Feinstein visit the ship - or others from S.F. who wouldn't mind seeing the ship at Fisherman's Wharf?

After all, only eight people voted against Feinstein's decision, not the entire city.
I support the right to arm bears

cfalk

Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:51 pm

Quoting NoUFO (Reply 7):
After all, only eight people voted against Feinstein's decision, not the entire city.

But the city voted those eight people into office. I would hope that the upstanding citizens of SF should feel so embarassed at this decision that they will not only do everything they can to vote them out, but harrass and ridicule their neighbors who supported them.

There comes a time, even in a democracy, when a voting majority get all flaky in the head and put crazy people into office. The Hamas victory in Palestine is a great example. People need to say "Enough with the political correctness!".

The Iowa stands for several things, all of which deserve to be memorialized.

1) It stands for the fact that men (and more recently women), have fought and died for the freedoms we all enjoy, not only the US, but the whole world. If it had not been for warships like the Iowa, The Swastika would now be flying over the rooftops of the Kremlin, the White House, and the Houses of Parliament. For those protesting the Iowa due to the military's treatment of gays, I remind you that the Nazis put homosexuals in gas chambers.

2) The Iowa is also a technological marvel of its time. Dreadnaught battleships represented the zenith of the technology. The ultimate expression of strength, durability, detection, control, organizational, safety, and of course weapon technology that was possible at the time. If there is anything that deserves being a museum (or in a museum), it is the battleship. Today they are dinosaurs, made extinct by our dependence on computer chips. Iowa stands for a period when things had to be done by sheer brawn.

Pope

Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:04 pm

About two years ago I got to tour the USS Wisconsin which is moored at the naval museum at downtown Norfolk. These ships are absolutely magnificent. I spent almost three hours just walking her main deck and speaking with the volunteers (many former crewmen). It's a shame that the boats spend the remainder of their lives tied up to docks because you get a sense that the spirit of the ship wants to be out on the ocean.

The ships are living history lessons and should be treasured.

F*ck these liberal POS's in SFO that live under the blanket of freedom that the vessels and their crews fought to secure only to turn their backs on them.

While the US is far from perfect and we have plenty of things to improve on, to ignore the contribution and sacrifices that these vessels, her crews and our militiary forces have made for all of us is just wrong.

SFO doesn't deserve this great piece of history.
Hypocrisy. It's the new black for liberals.

stuckinMAF

Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:24 pm

This is no surprise. For a city that voted in favor of an unconstitutional (both from Federal and California law perspectives) ban on all handguns, how could they possibly be expected to allow something like a Warship to be displayed there?

Maybe they are afraid the sea level rise from man-made Global Warming will plant the Iowa firmly atop the Golden Gate bridge!  Wow!

(I know, I know, that's another thread)
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity" -Sigmund Freud

AeroWesty

Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:33 pm

I would gather that none of you have been to the San Francisco Maritime National Historical Park lately.

San Francisco, and the Bay Area in general, has had a history of support for the Navy and the maritime industry as a whole, going back decades, maybe even centuries now.

I love the "we gave them the right to protest, I just wish they'd shut up" argument.
International Homo of Mystery

FlagshipAZ

Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:34 pm

I thought the Iowa was to go to Stockton, CA for display. San Francisco's leaders (yeah, right!) are nothing but a bunch of morons for refusing this historic warship. As of 6 or 8 months ago, the US Navy was to park the Iowa in Stockton, and then display the ship very similiar as the Wisconsin. There is another thread about the Iowa in the archives somewhere almost about this same topic. Regards.
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." --Ben Franklin

dl021

Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:44 pm

Sen. Feinstein managed to snag the Iowa away from its mooring in Rhode Island to be towed around the continent via the Panama Canal, to be replaced in a mothball fleet with the express concern that there be a museum ship in SFO. Idiotic money was spent as there were several sites that wanted the battleship to be placed on the east coast, but she took it there when the Democrats had control of the Senate. Now it's there, sitting in Suisun Bay, and SFO doesn't want it. Screw them.

It's still a category B mobilization asset, and carried on the rolls as being part of the Pacific Reserve. So send it up to Puget Sound, or down to San Diego, or even San Pedro/Long Beach and set it up there the same way the Wisconsin is displayed in Norfolk. Let it be a living museum where people will appreciate it.

And while they're at it they ought to bring the Pampanito down there, too.
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

cfalk

Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:45 pm

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 11):
San Francisco, and the Bay Area in general, has had a history of support for the Navy and the maritime industry as a whole, going back decades, maybe even centuries now.

That does not excuse what they are doing now.

I'm just glad my grandfather (a WWII veteran) did not live to see this. It would have broken his heart how monuments to his generation are spat upon because of some petty liberals' idea of "give peace a chance".

AeroWesty

Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:49 pm

Quoting Cfalk (Reply 14):
That does not excuse what they are doing now.

You clearly haven't lived in S.F. long enough (if at all?) to comment on how they do business.

Quoting Cfalk (Reply 14):
are spat upon

On the other hand, people's fears of the City and County of San Francisco are so entertaining, I hope you never go! lol.

bhill

Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:49 pm

Thats just plain stooooopid...bring her up here to the Northwest, she can hang out with the Nimitz Battle Group....
Carpe Pices

cfalk

Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:54 pm

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 15):
You clearly haven't lived in S.F. long enough (if at all?) to comment on how they do business.

What does that have to do with it. Are you saying that anyone who does not live in San Francisco has no right to say anything about this? What tripe.

I know enough about the issue. Famous warship refused by the city to make an anti-war point. That's all that needs to be known.

AeroWesty

Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:59 pm

Quoting Cfalk (Reply 17):
Are you saying that anyone who does not live in San Francisco has no right to say anything about this? What tripe.

Didn't say that. What I meant was that you don't have the perspective of having lived there for an understanding of how business gets done there.

Who wants San Francisco to be another cookie-cutter city anyway? I sure don't. You guys find the oddest things to get your panties in a wad over.

AirCop

Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:07 pm

On the other hand, Candlestick Point is not the best place to display such a ship. As anyone been to the neighborhood surrounding the area? Go visit the ship and get robbed or worse. There parts in that area the police won't go into, now it they put the ship closer to downtown then it would be a benefit, but not at Candlestick Point. Maybe this is a smokescreen by the Board of Supervisiors so they don't have to explain the crime problem.

MKEdude

Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:39 pm

My god it's back! These people are obviously going from city to city trying to find someone to give them a pile of money. Last year they tried to put the Iowa in Milwaukee. People were excited at first, until they found out that they wanted to moor the ship right on the lakefront and turn one of the best city parks into parking lot. Unlike some great lakes cities (cough, Cleveland) we did not encase our lakefront in concrete and have no intention to do it now.

The deal was also for 100% public financing, The city would pay to go get the ship, make it seaworthy for the journey, refurbish it once it's here, and pay for the infrastructure improvements (the aforementioned concrete) The Iowa is a rusting hulk, a shadow of what it used to be. Just to bring it up to EPA code would have cost more than $20mil.

To add insult to injury this would also have taken money away from the current Veterans memorial which occupies a prominent spot further down the shore, and is falling apart. This turned local veterans groups against the project.

The deal was shady, and the people behind it were even shadier. Public opinion ran 10-1 against the Iowa and the mayor rightly told them to take a hike. If this is the same deal that they are pitching to San Fran the people there are right in doing the same.
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline." Frank Zappa

j.mo

Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:58 am

Maybe they should moor it at the former NAS Alameda. I spent 3 years there on the Arkansas and the backdrop of San Francisco is stunning.

Jeremy

UALPHLCS

Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:23 am

The shame of San Francisco is that it has a longer history as a linchpin of the nations defense than it has as a bastion of gay and liberal ideology.

But the ship ought to go were it is wanted, and I understand it will go to Long Beach.

The thing for those of you in Maryland and Charleston to understand is that they are NOT going to place three battleships on the East Coast.

The New Jersey is here in NJ, the Wisconsin is in Norfolk, Missouri in Hawaii. Two on the east coast two on the west. The problem is placing two museum ships too close together. One of the reasons North Jersey lost out to South Jersey for placement of the BB-62 was becasue it was feared in New York that the New Jersey would siphon off visitors from the Intrepid.

Patriots Point in Charleston would have worked for one of the ships, joining a fleet of museum ships rather than competing against them. However, New Jersey is where she belongs, and Wisconsin is still maintained by the Navy in the reserve fleet, which is why you can only walk the main deck and it can't leave Norfolk.

California is the best place for Iowa. San Fransisco Bay may have not been the greatest place for her anyway. It is much better for the ships to be in warm water, preferably fresh water, maintainence is easier deterioration is slowed.
A little less Hooah, and a little more Dooah.

j_hallgren

Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:44 am

Don't forget that in Fall River MA is "Battleship Cove" where the 'Massachusetts' has been for decades!
See http://www.battleshipcove.org/

Those 16 inch guns were very impressive! Shooting a projectile that weighs as much as a small car around 15+ miles as I recall vaguely..
COBOL - Not a dead language yet!

Roger136913

Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:50 am

Quoting UALPHLCS (Reply 22):
The thing for those of you in Maryland and Charleston to understand is that they are NOT going to place three battleships on the East Coast.

The New Jersey is here in NJ, the Wisconsin is in Norfolk, Missouri in Hawaii. Two on the east coast two on the west. The problem is placing two museum ships too close together. One of the reasons North Jersey lost out to South Jersey for placement of the BB-62 was becasue it was feared in New York that the New Jersey would siphon off visitors from the Intrepid.

Well there is the U.S.S. Massachusetts in Fall River Ma. I say bring the Iowa here!

http://www.battleshipcove.org/

UALPHLCS

Wed Feb 01, 2006 4:44 am

Quoting Roger136913 (Reply 24):
Well there is the U.S.S. Massachusetts in Fall River Ma. I say bring the Iowa here!

Ah well. I should have been more clear. The Massachusetts is not an Iowa class battleship. The U.S.S. North Carolina and the U.S.S. Texas are on the East Coast as well. But again they are not Iowas.

Frankly, the U.S.S. Olympia which is a Spainish American War era Crusier is docked in Philadelphia directly across from the New Jersey. The differences are a compliment to the New Jersey not a competitor.

[Edited 2006-01-31 20:55:31]
A little less Hooah, and a little more Dooah.

tbar220

Wed Feb 01, 2006 4:49 am

Quoting Cfalk (Reply 8):
but harrass and ridicule their neighbors who supported them.

Oh I see how it is, harass your neighbors for the way they voted. Attack them for voting "wrong" and make sure they know how stupid they are. Real democratic values there you're preaching... sarcasm 

Quoting Cfalk (Reply 8):

There comes a time, even in a democracy, when a voting majority get all flaky in the head and put crazy people into office. The Hamas victory in Palestine is a great example.

I see.... somehow you manage to compare the voters in San Francisco to terrorists in the Palestinian terrorists. Bill O'Reilly would be so proud of you...
NO URLS in signature

Roger136913

Wed Feb 01, 2006 4:50 am

Quoting UALPHLCS (Reply 25):
Ah well. I sgould have been more clear. The Massachusetts is not an Iowa class battleship. The U.S.S. North Carolina and the U.S.S. Texas are on the East Coast as well. But again they are not Iowas

My bad, I should have known your meant Iowa class, sorry about that.

WrenchBender

Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:12 am

Why not put it in Alameda with the Hornet ? I would rather spend a full day touring those 2 in a single location rather than having to cross the Bay.
Besides Oakland could use all the tourism help it can get.

WrenchBender
Silly Pilot, Tricks are for kids.......

satx

Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:41 am

So this is what gets Americans' blood boiling eh? How pathetic. A little manufactured controversy and America goes ape shit over a relic.

Kind of stupid if you ask me, playing trump cards like that.

Yeah, you're right. FOX NEWS should knock it off.

Irony is, the sailors who served on this ship are the ones who gave these losers the right to be able to protest and say such moronic things.

Perhaps you should thank them more than anyone.
Open Season on Consumer Protections is Just Around the Corner...

halls120

Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:01 pm

Quoting JeffSFO (Reply 6):
No need to lump us all of us in SFO together on this one. I would like to see the U.S.S. Iowa moored here, as would Senator Feinstein:

Sorry Jeff, but you and DiFi are in the extreme minority. The SF Bay area is probably the most rabid hotbed of anti-militarism in the entire country. In 1984, there were the following active major military installations in the Bay area: Moffett Field NAS, Alameda NAS, Hunters Point Naval Shipyard, Mare Island Naval Shipyard, Naval Station Treasure Island, the Presidio, and the Coast Guard's Pacific Area Command. Now there is but one - the Coast Guard.

Most of the rationale for closing these installations (all BRAC'ed except for Hunters Point, I believe) was because they were old and in poor repair (Alameda), surrounded by too much growth (Moffett Field), or simply excess (Presidio). But you are fooling yourself if you think the disdain for the military exhibited by most politicians and many citizens in the Bay Area didn't play a role in the BRAC decisions.
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

ANCFlyer

Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:05 pm

Let me reiterate.

FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

Zone1

Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:27 pm

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 30):
surrounded by too much growth (Moffett Field)

It's dissapointing about the whole Moffett Field thing. I remember hearing a couple of months ago that they were going to destroy that beautiful blimp hanger. Without Hanger 1, Mountain View won't be the same in my opinion.
/// U N I T E D

IceTitan447

Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:30 pm

Well said!

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 31):
Let me reiterate.

once again, well said!

Quoting SATX (Reply 29):

Perhaps you should thank them more than anyone.

Perhaps we should all be thankful?

DeltaGuy
Topic Author

Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:10 pm

Quoting J.mo (Reply 21):
Maybe they should moor it at the former NAS Alameda. I spent 3 years there on the Arkansas and the backdrop of San Francisco is stunning.

I agree....create a large museum harbor, that way people will get to see a variety of warships from the battle groups, and also one seperate museum wouldn't kill another museum's business.

Quoting UALPHLCS (Reply 22):
The shame of San Francisco is that it has a longer history as a linchpin of the nations defense than it has as a bastion of gay and liberal ideology.

But you are fooling yourself if you think the disdain for the military exhibited by most politicians and many citizens in the Bay Area didn't play a role in the BRAC decisions.

I agree...Alameda and the ships, planes, and sailors that were there were a good bunch, as were all the other military present in the city, but unfortunately the tides changed in the Bay. I guess being in the business of defense is a hated job until you're attacked yourself. Just another case of a fucked-up town 'steralizing' itself of the military and the fine people who compose it. I used to enjoy visiting San Fran, but it's become so overrun with screwed up people, loser special interest clientele, and far-left politics, I won't drop my money or my time into a visit anymore.

Quoting SATX (Reply 29):
Yeah, you're right. FOX NEWS should knock it off.

Thanks for the moronic statement..this thread wouldn't be the same without you.

DeltaGuy
"The cockpit, what is it?" "It's the little room in the front of the plane where the pilot sits, but that's not importan

ual777

Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:11 pm

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 18):
I sure don't. You guys find the oddest things to get your panties in a wad over.

Quoting SATX (Reply 29):
So this is what gets Americans' blood boiling eh? How pathetic. A little manufactured controversy and America goes ape shit over a relic.

You both disgust me. Having the Iowa should be an honor. It is a living monument to the 250,000 someodd soldiers, sailers, and airmen who sacrificed their lives for this country. These men fought in Europe where it was often 20 below zero and you cannot go inside or shower for weeks. These men fought on sweltering hell-holes like Tarawa fighting diseases such as dysentary as well as fighting the enemy.

These men sacrificed the best years of their lives to free the world from the terror of fascism.

Many came home to a divorce, came home without legs, or came home with nightmares that would haunt them for the rest of their lives and you ask WHY its an important issue? You call it a RELIC?

That war was NOT a Vietnam, it was NOT a War in Iraq. It was the biggest struggle between freedom and evil the world has ever seen. To play it off as "trivial" shows a serious lack of character.

You both disgust me. The men who sacrificed for this country in the Second World War are 10 times the men that you and I will ever be.

I salute these men and cannot thank them enough. None of us can. I only hope if the time comes, I will be able to measure up to their standard and preserve the right of freedom to the American people.

God Bless all of Them.
It is always darkest before the sun comes up.

JeffSFO

Wed Feb 01, 2006 4:55 pm

But you are fooling yourself if you think the disdain for the military exhibited by most politicians and many citizens in the Bay Area didn't play a role in the BRAC decisions.

AFAIK, Bay Area politicians fought to keep those installations from closing. Why would they shut the door on cash cows such as those?

Also, the annual Fleet Week celebration every October is one of the most popular events in the city with the Blue Angels being the biggest draw:

http://fleetweek.us/fleetweek

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...1.DTL&hw=Fleet+Week&sn=001&sc=1000

Tens of thousands of people come to SF from all over out to watch them. This anti-militarism that a lot believe exists here is not as prevalent as you may believe.

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 31):
Let me reiterate.

Reiterate all you want, but forbidding tourists from SF on board is not going to happen wherever it ends up.

I'd be happy to have the U.S.S. Iowa here or, if necessary, moored next to the Hornet over in Alameda. I get a big kick out of being able to see it at all when driving north on I-80 while it's in Suisun Bay:

http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/1194/iowa1ic.jpg

halls120

Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:17 pm

Quoting JeffSFO (Reply 36):
AFAIK, Bay Area politicians fought to keep those installations from closing. Why would they shut the door on cash cows such as those?

Also, the annual Fleet Week celebration every October is one of the most popular events in the city with the Blue Angels being the biggest draw:

Yes, hypocrites like Barbara Boxer, who never passes up a chance to criticize the military, came out against the closing of the Presidio - the most useless Army installation at the time it was selected to be BRAC'ed.

Fleet week? Yes, let's not forget about Fleet week, which brings out the Bay Area "Peace Navy" and assorted other floating protestors, which makes the Coast Guard's life miserable for a week.

Fleet week is popular only because it is a one week event, after which the military leaves - how nice and convenient for San Franciscans! Come give us a show, but we want nothing to do with the dirty job of actually supporting the troops on a full time basis.

Sorry Jeff, but as a native Californian and resident of the Bay Area for 5 years, I tend to support ANC on this one. When I lived among all the "nice" people in the Bay Area, the palpable disdain I felt from my fellow citizens for choosing to serve my country was always just below the surface.
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

JeffSFO

Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:51 pm

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 37):
Fleet week? Yes, let's not forget about Fleet week, which brings out the Bay Area "Peace Navy" and assorted other floating protestors, which makes the Coast Guard's life miserable for a week.

You've got to remember though that those people are a significant, albeit vocal, minority. There are many, many more boats out on the Bay to watch the festivities.

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 37):
Sorry Jeff, but as a native Californian and resident of the Bay Area for 5 years, I tend to support ANC on this one. When I lived among all the "nice" people in the Bay Area, the palpable disdain I felt from my fellow citizens for choosing to serve my country was always just below the surface.

Halls, having not been in your shoes I can't possibly speak about the experiences you may have had here. However, through my own personal experience of having lived in San Francisco for the past 12 years, of the people I know socially or through work, I've never heard anyone take potshots at the military or those who have served in it. Granted, I'm a raging moderate and tend to hang out with those who are as well, but any time the subject of the war in Iraq comes up, people tend to be very supportive of the troops. Perhaps it's because of the demographic I'm in, but it's true.

Case in point, my friend Melissa--a San Francisco resident--sent out this e-mail to all her friends on Veteran's Day a year ago and I'm including it here because it's for a good cause:

Hi, just an FYI, if anyone is interested in supporting the US troops that have been deployed into war by sending them care packages to help boost their morale here are a few websites with info:

http://www.sfgate.com/troops/
http://www.operationmom.org/altoh.html
http://www.marineparents.com/USMC/deploy-care-pkg.asp
http://www.usocares.org/

Hope you're well,
-Melissa

halls120

Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:20 pm

Quoting JeffSFO (Reply 38):
Halls, having not been in your shoes I can't possibly speak about the experiences you may have had here. However, through my own personal experience of having lived in San Francisco for the past 12 years, of the people I know socially or through work, I've never heard anyone take potshots at the military or those who have served in it. Granted, I'm a raging moderate and tend to hang out with those who are as well, but any time the subject of the war in Iraq comes up, people tend to be very supportive of the troops. Perhaps it's because of the demographic I'm in, but it's true.

Jeff - I'm sure there are many like you and your friend Melissa. Problem is, it's a pretty silent group - the political leadership and media of the Bay Area makes no bones about their anti-military stances, and perhaps it overshadows people like you.