sean377

So What's Your Claim To Fame?

Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:53 pm

Do you have one?

No matter how small and insignificant you think it may be, I bet you're proud as punch!

Me? I was in a sail boat race in Portsmouth Harbour in the early 80's. There was a force 7 gale blowing and our dinghys were only rated at about force 2 to 3! Heading out of control towards the bow of a rather large ship anchored in the harbour, I could see no alternative but to capsize the dinghy to avoid the impending crash. It didn't work and we smacked into the bow of... the Royal Yaught Britannia!

The dinghy split in half and I clambered on top of the wreckage. The crew of the Britannia ran down to a floating pontoon and dragged me onboard once I'd managed to paddle across to them.

Next day, the bow of the Britannia was covered in scaffold. Whether they were inspecting for damage, or touching up the paintwork, I never found out! I received a special plaque for that incident. It read "Sean Nixon - Britannia Basher".

Also in the early 80's, I appeared on a kids Saturday morning TV show (Saturday Shake Up) and opened the door for Shaking Stevens, but let's keep that one quiet!

Do you have any stories to tell?

Sean
Flying is the second greatest thrill known to man... Landing is the first!

cosec59

RE: So What's Your Claim To Fame?

Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:57 pm

I was in a telly advert with Rolf Harris for the Stylophone.
Played the aforementioned stylophone infront of The Queen at the Royal Albert Hall
Rules are for the obedience of fools but for the guidance of wise men

Pe@rson

Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:01 pm

I used to win fishing competitions...

I also had to get rescued once by the lifeguards because I got caught by the incoming tide. I did get to zoom off in a fast boat, though.

I've had my written work, cartoons and photos published in newspapers and magazines.

Been on the wireless before. I didn't win.

[Edited 2006-01-31 12:10:55]
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

gkirk

Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:05 pm

I'm MOL's personal behind kisser
Signed, Pe@rson
 duck 

Wink
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

MYT332

Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:07 pm

I was on Radio1 once on LunchTime Lovers! Big grin
One Life, Live it.

Pe@rson

Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:09 pm

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 3):
I'm MOL's personal behind kisser
Signed, Pe@rson

rotfl  If he gave me his fortune, I'd happily be that.  Silly
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

atco2b

Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:09 pm

Nothing as glamourous as the above  Wink but i did take part in a local radio competition recently. Didnt win by the way Big grin
Hey, you want to go out for pizza and some sex? What, you don't like pizza?

willo

Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:20 pm

I served Steak and Kidney pie to Ted Heath - at the time he was Prime Minister (but not for much longer, as he was about to introduce the 3 day working week, would lead to the downfall of the Tories).

flyAUA

Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:26 pm

For me it's a tie between winning a huge 1st prize lego technic F1 car when I was only 8 years old at a competition in a local mall, and, giving aircraft directions in an en-route ATC centre just last year. As insignificant as they may seem to you, they both caused shivers to go down my spine Big grin

Quoting Myt332 (Reply 4):
I was on Radio1 once on LunchTime Lovers!

Were you now?  mischievous 

Care to share more....?  bouncy 
Not drinking, also isn't a solution!

MYT332

Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:32 pm

Quoting FlyAUA (Reply 8):
Were you now?

Care to share more....?

Well I had to tell 6 million people that I fancied this girl. That'll do. Big grin
One Life, Live it.

sean377

Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:32 pm

Were you now?

Behave yourself!

As insignificant as they may seem to you...

That's the point! They are points in our lives to remember forever.

Pe@rson

Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:33 pm

FlyAUA/Trisha - I thought it was posting your photo 100 times in this website.  Silly

sean377

Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:36 pm

Quoting Pe@rson (Reply 11):
I thought it was posting your photo 100 times in this website.

I wonder how many other websites out there he has given that benefit (is that the right word  Confused ) to?  Silly

flyAUA

Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:47 pm

Quoting Myt332 (Reply 9):
Well I had to tell 6 million people that I fancied this girl. That'll do.

Wow, that's brave  Smile

Quoting Sean377 (Reply 10):
That's the point! They are points in our lives to remember forever.

And that I will do forever  yes 

Quoting Pe@rson (Reply 11):
FlyAUA/Trisha - I thought it was posting your photo 100 times in this website.

A forum with loads of people who sit behind the PC all day long and have nothing better to do? Hardly "fame"  sarcastic 
Not drinking, also isn't a solution!

whitehatter

Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:49 pm

I've been on Coronation Street.

Seventy quid for fifteen seconds on-screen time. Now that's what I call wages!
Lead me not into temptation, I can find my own way there...

cornish

Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:56 pm

Quoting WhiteHatter (Reply 14):
I've been on Coronation Street.

Seventy quid for fifteen seconds on-screen time. Now that's what I call wages!

Did you get to say a line. Or were you just made to buy a tin of beans in The Cabin?  Wink
Just when I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, it was some B*****d with a torch bringing me more work

MYT332

Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:58 pm

I was the first transsexual in the UK.

Signed,
Banco
One Life, Live it.

Banco

Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:05 pm

Quoting Myt332 (Reply 16):
I was the first transsexual in the UK.

Signed,
Banco

I am the most gullible person on the planet.

Signed
Myt332.
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

aireuropeuk733

Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:05 pm

Quoting Cornish (Reply 15):
Or were you just made to buy a tin of beans in The Cabin?

Is it not 'The Kabin' ?

Would rather have a pint in The Rovers

AE733
It's nice to fly with friends

mhodgson

Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:26 pm

Quoting Myt332 (Reply 9):
Well I had to tell 6 million people that I fancied this girl. That'll do. Big grin

Rather, the msot annoying DJ combo EVER read out your email on air. And then played what they thought was a good song.
No trees were harmed by this message. However, several million electrons were terribly inconvenienced

MYT332

Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:30 pm

Quoting Mhodgson (Reply 19):
Rather, the msot annoying DJ combo EVER read out your email on air. And then played what they thought was a good song

Oi, Edith is a babe! I saw her on Sunday night at the recording of Petrol Heads for the BBC.

In actual fact I was that 'last' person at the end of Lunch Time Lovers. My actualy voice was heard on air for a good, hmm, 15 seconds followed by Aerosmith - Don't wanna miss a thing. Big grin
One Life, Live it.

itsjustme

Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:13 pm

Hitting, not only the game winning home run but it was also the deciding game in the 1973 Little League World Series (ages 10-12...I was 10 years old at the time). Even though this was 30+ years ago, I can still remember it just like it was yesterday. Score was 5-4, 2 out, bottom of the 7th (we played 7 inning games, not 9) and Ray Hatherley, our catcher, was up to bat and had fought off an 0-2 count by fouling off 4 straight pitches before forcing the count to 3-2. He then ripped a single to left. I remember being scared shitless as I made my way to the batter's box. It was now all up to me. Before stepping in, I looked down to 3rd and got only a look of confidence from my coach (inside he was probably thinking, "Well, at least we made it this far"). I stepped into the box, the pitcher went into his stretch, looked back the runner at first and then threw what looked like a damn missile right down the pipe (I swear it had one of those contrail things). I think the catcher was in the process of tossing the ball back by the time I started my swing. "Steeeeeeee-rike 1" I remember the Ump announcing, loud enough for people in neighboring cities to hear. I remember thinking there was no way I could let the pitcher get an 0-2 count on me so I made up my mind to swing as hard as I could at the next pitch, regardless of where it was. Thankfully, it was another fast ball, right down the middle and, I probably shouldn't admit this, but I closed my eyes and swung as hard as I could. I remember how great it felt when the bat made solid contact with the ball and when I opened my eyes, I saw it sailing off toward left field (the ball, not the bat). I took off for first, not watching the ball because that was a no no of course, and when I saw Mr. Hatherley (Ray's dad, who was the first base coach) frantically waving his arm in a windmill rotation indicating I was to go to 2nd, I dug in and headed that way, head down. As I approached 2nd I realized there was no one on the bag ready for a throw so I looked to 3rd and I expected to see Mr. Duncan (his son was our right fielder) holding up the "stop" sign (I still had no idea where the ball was) but instead he was waving me onto 3rd base. Actually, he was jumping up and down and waving me to 3rd base. As I rounded 2nd, I kept watching him and the 3rd baseman. I expected to see him suddenly give me the SLIDE! indication and I expected to see the 3rd baseman crouched by the bag, anticipating the in coming throw. I saw neither. Instead I saw that windmill rotation with the arm again and the 3rd baseman was standing about 4 feet off the bag, hands on his hips. As I rounded 3rd, the coach ran with me all the way down the line, all the time screaming, "It's gonna be close....SLIDE...SLIDE"! So slide I did and I swear, what was undoubtedly a fraction of a second before the home plate ump made the call, it seemed like several minutes passed and I heard nothing but silence until the Ump made the "safe" sign with his arms in that scissor motion and hollered out, "SAFE...SAFE...SAFE" several times. Man, what a feeling.

whitehatter

Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:22 pm

If anyone can read (or even translate) the above, please let the rest of the world know....
Lead me not into temptation, I can find my own way there...

stuckinMAF

Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:26 pm

I am a father.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity" -Sigmund Freud

oly720man

Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:42 pm

Been on tv a few times with wind tunnel related activities. Most recently I was in the "Warplane" series that aired on Channel Five recently - in part 3, the wind tunnel tests on the supposed Bell X-1 tailplane, showing why they went from elevator to all moving tail. I was meant to be in part 4, but I was replaced by an animation..... of a flying wing so they didn't show the one I had in the tunnel.

Previously on a Sky program about hurricanes and another program about people surviving skydiving disasters - based in part on this
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/safety/detail_page.cgi?ID=261

I met her for the program and she still can't remember what happened.
wheat and dairy can screw up your brain

sean377

Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:47 pm

Quoting Oly720man (Reply 24):
Most recently I was in the "Warplane" series that aired on Channel Five recently - in part 3

I saw that! Were you the guy in the wind tunnel fiddling with that model (of an aircraft).

skidmarks

Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:50 pm

I had my picture on the back page of RAF News in December 1992. Talking to Aircrew at Memmingen while on detachment.

Andy  old 
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional

oly720man

Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:57 pm

Quoting Sean377 (Reply 25):
Were you the guy in the wind tunnel fiddling with that model (of an aircraft)

Yep. That was me.
wheat and dairy can screw up your brain

MYT332

Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:58 pm

Quoting Skidmarks (Reply 26):
I had my picture on the back page of RAF News in December 1942

Well it's your lucky day because I had a dig through the archives and I found that back page! Here you are using your forces pseudonyme. Big grin

One Life, Live it.

skidmarks

Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:02 pm

Where's JGPH1A with his Fatwah list when you need him eh? Probably in some MacDonalds in Nice stuffing his face!! Big grin

Andy  old 
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional

roadrunner165

Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:44 pm

I broke the sales record for yoplait yogurt at work this last week. Does that count as fame?

Adam

itsjustme

Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:48 pm

Quoting WhiteHatter (Reply 22):
If anyone can read (or even translate) the above, please let the rest of the world know....

I must have used too many big words.

HAWK21M

Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:51 pm

Air Pistol Shoot Well.

regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

Newark777

Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:52 pm

Quoting Itsjustme (Reply 21):

So you played for Taiwan?

Harry
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

PIA777

Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:54 pm

My 4th grade class went to the Bozo Show in 1980 and I was on TV for
about 10 seconds. Growing up in Chicago, every kid wants to be on
the Bozo show.

PIA777
GO CUBS!!

senorcarnival

Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:59 pm

-I write for my school paper, so every week thousands of bored college students at that campus come across my boring and predicable game recaps.
-I came out on MTV's Total Request Live in Brazil when I was 16. They were taping the show at different area schools and they came to my school one day (because I sent them an email saying they should, but at the time no one knew who sent the email and I didn't admit to it. AFAIK no one to this day knows who asked them come) The hostess of the show was ok looking, she looked hotter on TV. I voiced my opinion on U2's "Discotheque" and then the director told me to sign a release form that no one else but me and a couple of other people who were appearing bothered to read, but it basically said we sold our souls to be on TV for a few seconds.
Oh no, she's getting impatient! Take a stab at it!

2H4

Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:00 pm

I (along with my team) won the National Intercollegiate Flying Association 2002 national championship. Kind of like the "super bowl" of collegiate aviation. In one of my events, I placed in the national top three for three years in a row.

As good as that felt, it was even cooler to see the guys I taught and coached go up and accept their awards....especially the time one of them beat me at my own game. As he was standing up in front of the crowd, accepting his award, I wanted to congratulate him and strangle him all at once.  biggrin 

2H4

Intentionally Left Blank

itsjustme

Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:11 pm

Quoting Newark777 (Reply 33):
So you played for Taiwan?

Me thinks you took the title Little League "World" Series a little too literally. No, it was 'just' a recrecational baseball league in suburban Detroit but for us, it mght as well have been a "World" Series.

ShyFlyer

Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:17 pm

While in High School, I was a member of the Marine Corps JROTC program. My first command in front of a large audience was a Color Guard for a school basketball game. Despite being extremely nervous, and having tv news cameras present, it when flawlessly. It just so happened to occur on my 17th birthday too.

Getting my Private Pilot certificate last year was a very proud moment for me. I had to fight an anxiety issue to do it, and when the examiner said, "Congratulations, you're a pilot!", I was walking on air, after securing the aircraft, of course.

I also have a few photographs being used by FlightSafety-Tucson and the USAF 58th Special Operations Wing for their respective training programs.
I lift things up and put them down.

jafa39

Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:23 pm

I won an eel catching competition when I was 12.

I have been on TV twice in the UK, once talking to Arthur Negus (ask your parents) outside a chip-shop in Baldock, once walking down Liverpool St Station in London.

I am the "Talking Head" and main interviewee in an NZ documentary, screened just before Christmas 2005, called "Challenging Youth", part of the "Open Door" series.

I have been in the NZ papers heaps (in AKL anyway) and have met the Duke of Edinburgh several times.
We, the undersigned, do hereby consent.....

S12PPL

Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:43 pm

I was in TV comercials when I was 7-9 years old or so. They were local spots, not even regional, or national. But hey...For a few years, everyone recognized me from them!!

I was actually kinda popular at school for 'em. So much that when it came time for my dad to run a spot for back to school(He was an optitian), I got to pick a bunch of kids to do an ad for checking your child's eyes for school. Needless to say I made a bunch of new friends...lol
Next Flights: 12/31 AS804 PDX-MCO 2/3 AS19 MCO-SEA QX2545 SEA-PDX

aerobalance

Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:58 pm

I'm lazy, yet somehow I make money.
"Sing a song, play guitar, make it snappy..."

KevinL1011

Wed Feb 01, 2006 4:07 pm

I won the VW engine pull contest in 1975. In and out in 3min 52sec.

Rode an elevator up four floors with John Delorean.

Persuaded the Pilot of the Goodyear Blimp to attempt a carrier landing in the Long Beach shipyards. We were waved off.

Drove a pair of EMD GP-9's with 24 cars about 5 miles.

Survived Catholic School.

Still alive.
474218, Carl, You will be missed.

pacificjourney

Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:06 pm

Had sex with Lucy Lawless, pre Xena but it still counts.

Met Queen and Phil and had tea and chatted on RY Brittannia.
" Help, help ... I'm being oppressed ... "

texan

Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:29 pm

Quoting Itsjustme (Reply 21):

That was a fun read!

As far as I know, I'm the youngest person to attempt a United States Congressional run (23 years, 1 month). Had to stop due to a lack of incoming funds.

Texan
"I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library."

mhodgson

Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:06 pm

My legs appeared on TV on a news report about Manchester Piccadilly station.
No trees were harmed by this message. However, several million electrons were terribly inconvenienced

yooyoo

Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:44 pm

I have the same hairline as Logan22L  Wink

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v234/lajake/ANetMeet111905.jpg
I am so smart, i am so smart... S-M-R-T... i mean S-M-A-R-T

Aleksandar

Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:51 pm

Three articles published in "Airways" and "Airline Review"
R-E-S-P-E-C-T

ryanb741

Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:04 pm

Was a model for Issey Miyake in Paris 8 years ago.

Have been in a kickboxing match live on Thai TV.

Can make any woman cum simply by kissing (absolutely true).
I used to think the brain is the most fascinating part of my body. But, hey, who is telling me that?

IAH777

Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:06 pm

I've been on the local TV news a few times talking about various dumbasses wrecking their cars.

Wrote a little anecdote I emailed to some friends about an experience I had at work one night. I've since seen it in a smattering of places around the web. Come to think of it, I should post it here...