jake056

Does Anyone Still Watch Old Black & White Movies?

Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:49 am

I like all kinds of movies, but the old black and white ones seem to hold a special place in my heart. I was recently at the local "mega" video rental store and was once again reminded how little a selection they had. Not to mention the 300 plus cable channels still show the same recycled crap on a seemingly endless loop. Is Sister Act 2 ever NOT showing on cable???? And the 2 cable channels that do offer "older" movies here in the US--TMC & AMC--don't have a lot of depth in their choices.

I think those movies from the 30's, 40's, and 50's were great. Not ALL of them of course!

I feel badly for those who grow up now and will miss some great movies!

Anyone else out there wish there was better access to old movies???

aloges

RE: Does Anyone Still Watch Old Black & White Movies?

Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:59 am

Certainly. One of the most brilliant and hilarious movies of all time, "One, Two, Three" by Billy Wilder, would probably lose half of its fascination were it not in b/w.
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

whitehatter

Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:01 am

Some of the greatest movies of all time were shot in black and white, and some of them could never be done in colour because that would detract from the film as a whole.

So yes, I happily watch black and white movies. Some are timeless. Some are atmospheric, and the B&W is all part of that.
Lead me not into temptation, I can find my own way there...

searpqx

Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:04 am

Pretty much what everyone has already said, part of the charm and alure of those old movies is the B&W. I can't imagine watching a classic like "The Women" colorized.
"The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity"

L-188

Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:09 am

Absolutely.

Some recommendations from my personal library-in no particular order

The Seven Samurai
12 Angry Men
Island in the Sky
The house on haunted hill
Sgt. York
Psycho
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

jake056

Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:14 am

Quoting Searpqx (Reply 3):
can't imagine watching a classic like "The Women" colorized.

But then we could see Norma Shearer's "jungle red" nails in color!!

Great movie.

redngold

RE: Does Anyone Still Watch Old Black & White Movi

Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:19 am

There's a local show called "Big Chuck and Lil' John" on Saturday mornings and late night Saturday/early Sunday morning. The hosts are Chuck Schodowski and John Rinaldi and the show specializes in B-quality action and horror movies. Some of the movies are old enough that they are broadcast in black and white.

http://164.109.57.227/dynamic/story.asp?category=75
Up, up and away!

dtwclipper

Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:21 am

Quoting Searpqx (Reply 3):
. I can't imagine watching a classic like "The Women" colorized.

"The Women" colorized....I would sooner vote for Bush!
Compare New York Air, the Airline that works for your Business

dl021

Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:39 am

Colorizing movies was a terrible idea, for the most part, and took away from the director and cameramans work to provide the shading and textures from black and white films.

I love the older movies, and black and white are part and parcel to them. They had to actually get you excited without the incredible technology available today, and consequently it was more difficult to keep the audiences attention because it was mostly acting.

I'll give an example. "The Best Years of Their Lives" was filmed in B&W and they had to find an actor who really was a double amputee since they couldn't blue screen out his hands, and they did not have CGI to show fleets of bombers in the protagonists head so they simply showed him in an actual surplus cockpit and used a rising orchestral crescendo to give the viewer a clear picture of what the man was thinking and feeling.

B&W films are great as is and don't need colorizing, and I obviously watch them.
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

exarmywarrant

Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:53 am

My daughter gave me a boxed set of Marx Bothers films...hilarious!

L-188

Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:54 am

Quoting DL021 (Reply 8):
Colorizing movies was a terrible idea, for the most part, and took away from the director and cameramans work to provide the shading and textures from black and white films.

A lot of people credit the colorizing process with reviving interest in the older films. People like the movies, but hated the color versions.

QANTASforever

Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:02 am

Two of my favourite films are black and white: Sunset Boulevard, and Citizen Kane.

I think colourising these would really detract from the very intentional cinematic and filmic techniques employed by the makers of those two films. Let them be.

Imagine hanging a digital projection of the Mona Lisa on a gallery wall? It's the same thing. We should respect artists enough not to tamper with their work (with the exception of working to physically preserve it).

QFF
Fighting for the glory of the Australian Republic.

Nancy

Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:12 am

I like "Night if the Hunter" (I think that's what it was called) -set during the depression, the antagonist has "love/ hate" tattooed on his knuckles. It's REALLY creepy!

AvObserver

Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:17 am

Quoting DL021 (Reply 8):

Well, not always. So many, if not most of those old films were in B&W due to budgetary reasons, long after color film had arrived. For some, colorizing does work because they'd have been in color anyway if their budgets had been bigger. "The Thing" (1951) is one that did work in color, as did the 1933 "King Kong" and 1934's "Miracle On 34th Street". By contrast, however, 1960's "Psycho" would have been totally ruined by colorization, as would have "The Maltese Falcon". Director John Huston vigorously protested cable TV magnate Ted Turner's colorization of that classic in the late 80's. I do think Turner should have respected his wishes, even though he'd bought the rights to it. Though I'm okay with the now nearly abandoned process of colorizing WHEN artistically appropriate, I still enjoy many B&W classic movies AND TV shows. Here's a source that has a surprising number available.

http://www.moviesunlimited.com/musite/default.asp? Happy hunting!

HAWK21M

Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:09 pm

Chaplins Movies.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

miguelss

Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:53 pm

I have been buying at Wal-Mart for 1 buck Flash Gordon series.

Awesome to watch the "FX" of that time.

OzarkD9S

Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:05 am

The vast majority of my favorite films are from the pre-WW2 period. And of course the vast majority of those were in B&W.

In much the same way I find a B&W photo more interesting than a color photo, the same hold true for movies. Dramas always seem a tad more intense when in B&W, at least to my eyes.

Theres a reason so many VHS tapes had "In Glorious Black and White" along the top of the box!
Next up: STL-OAK-RNO-LAS-ICT-STL

kiwiandrew

Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:09 am

my partner still watches them ... drives me completely nuts ... five minutes of b & w and I get a pounding headache ... I thought we had the problem solved when VCR went the way of the dinosaur , but no , he had them burned onto frigging DVD ...........arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggggghhhhhhh!

IceTitan447

Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:13 am

I am a huge Bing Crosby fan. His music, and films.
My favorite Black and White movie is Bells of St. Mary's. My favorite color or B&W is White Christmas, with Bing, Rosemary Clooney, Danny Kaye, and Vera Ellen.

They don't make movies like those anymore. Smile

707CMF

Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:16 am

Quoting Aloges (Reply 1):
Certainly. One of the most brilliant and hilarious movies of all time, "One, Two, Three" by Billy Wilder, would probably lose half of its fascination were it not in b/w.

Dankeschoen... Already !

Cheers,

L-188

Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:52 am

Quoting L-188 (Reply 4):
Some recommendations from my personal library-in no particular order

The Seven Samurai
12 Angry Men
Island in the Sky
The house on haunted hill
Sgt. York
Psycho

Hey guys thought of some more when I was at the house.

Treasure of the Sierra Madre
The Maltese Falcon
Casablanca
12 o'clock high
The Longest Day

flyingbabydoc

Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:03 am

Quoting Aloges (Reply 1):

Couldn't possibly agree more with you. How about "Blue Angel"? I prefer my Diettrich very very pale....

Quoting QANTASforever (Reply 11):
Citizen Kane

One of the best movies ever.

The charm of Film Noir is undeniable, IMHO

Alex
Marriage is the art of turning a lover into a relative

vzlet

Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:06 am

Perhaps not yet in the "old" category, but "Dr. Strangelove".
"That's so stupid! If they're so secret, why are they out where everyone can see them?" - my kid

AerospaceFan

Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:15 am

Quoting Jake056 (Thread starter):
I like all kinds of movies, but the old black and white ones seem to hold a special place in my heart.

The visual artistry of good black-and-white movies is often to be marveled at. The directors, and art and departments (set designers, etc.) did quite a lot with very little. Contrast was often well-tuned to serve in lieu of differences in color, I've found.
What's fair is fair.

AerospaceFan

Fri Feb 03, 2006 8:03 pm

Black-and-white dramas can be some of the most interesting around. For example, Waterloo Bridge. When I first saw this tearjerker more than thirty years ago, I was struck by its deliberate and effective pacing. And I still remember seeing it to this day.
What's fair is fair.