AerospaceFan
Topic Author

Which Are Your Least Favorite SF Films?

Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:27 am

As a counterpart to the "most favorite SF film" thread, this topic asks that you list your least favorite SF film.

I'll start, offhand:

1. Zardoz
2. Solaris (by reputation only)
3. Swamp Thing (seems kind of fakey from all the clips I've seen of it); admittedly, this is barely science fiction, and might actually be horror. Fakey horror, that is.

That's it so far.  Smile
What's fair is fair.

jake056

RE: Which Are Your Least Favorite SF Films?

Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:42 am

Logan's Run. I hated it and I like most SF movies.

san747

Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:44 am

Attack of the Giant Leeches. So bad that Mystery Science Theater 3000 deemed it worthy to make fun of...
Scotty doesn't know...

AvObserver

Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:51 am

Good list, ASF, turkeys all, although you likely mean the recent George Clooney Solaris remake. I've heard, the original 1971 Russian version was quite good. Well, let's see: 1966's "Zontar, The Thing From Venus" was a real stinker, as was "C.H.U.D" (Cannibalistic Humanoid Underground Dwellers-enough said!). "Cthuhu, Beast Of The Amazon", with frequent B-movie queen (and later co-star on Fred McMurray's CBS series, "My Three Sons"), Beverly Garland, was doubly bad because the 'monster' was a cheat, it turmed out not to be real. "Monster On The Campus", where college professor Arthur Franz devolves into an ape-man, was similarly abysmal. I'll never get Roger Corman's seminal 1954 stinker, "Monster On The Ocean Floor", made for a reported $12,000., out of my head, either. Also notoriously bad, although lots of hokey fun, was 1958's "Fiend Without A Face", where disembodied brains with spinal cords tried to suck the brains out of living victims. So many REALLY bad 50's and 60's SF flicks, it's hard to know where to begin.

AerospaceFan
Topic Author

Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:57 am

Quoting AvObserver (Reply 3):
Good list, ASF, turkeys all, although you likely mean the recent George Clooney Solaris remake.

Thanks, and yes, that's the one. I haven't any knowledge of the Russian original, though from what you say, it might be worth a viewing.  

I'm with you that so many of the Grade B (or worse) black-and-white SF movies of the 1950's and 1960's are now pretty much unwatchable, except as camp fare. Many of them were meant for drive-ins, where a number of teenagers had other things in mind than simply the movie.  

A notable exception that comes to mind, other than the good ones that have already been mentioned in the counterpart thread, is The Day the Earth Stood Still. (If it was already mentioned in the other thread, I apologize.) A perennial favorite, that one is.  

[Edited 2006-02-02 01:03:22]
What's fair is fair.

TheSonntag

Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:01 am

Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace. Awful. Fortunately Lucas managed to save the series by a good Revenge of the Sith. If only they had killed Jar Jar in Episode 3, but you cannot have everything, I guess.

Star Trek 1, 5, 9, 10. Especially 2,4 and 6 are great. But 1,5,9,10 are just awful.

LOT767-300ER

Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:11 am

-Lost in Space
Period.
Planet of the Apes Remake.

AerospaceFan
Topic Author

Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:55 pm

TheSonntag, they're not making any more Star Wars or Star Trek movies, are they? I like ANH a lot and also TESB. Those are kind of the best two of the bunch.  Smile
What's fair is fair.

TheSonntag

Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:38 pm

Quoting AerospaceFan (Reply 7):

Well, since Enterprise was such a horrible series, I guess the whole Star Trek universe is in a deep crisis right now... However, lets hope they will recover, maybe they should buy some of the authors of Battlestar Galactica or Firefly...

whitehatter

Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:42 pm

Quoting AerospaceFan (Reply 7):
TheSonntag, they're not making any more Star Wars or Star Trek movies, are they?

yes, one more Star trek movie in the pipeline for a couple of years time. Patrick Stewart was approached but is proving hard to land.

Quoting TheSonntag (Reply 8):
However, lets hope they will recover, maybe they should buy some of the authors of Battlestar Galactica

Where do you think Ron Moore came from?

Quoting AerospaceFan (Thread starter):
As a counterpart to the "most favorite SF film" thread, this topic asks that you list your least favorite SF film.

The War of the Worlds (2005 version)

What a load.
Lead me not into temptation, I can find my own way there...

AerospaceFan
Topic Author

Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:04 am

Quoting WhiteHatter (Reply 9):
yes, one more Star trek movie in the pipeline for a couple of years time. Patrick Stewart was approached but is proving hard to land.

Most interesting. Thank you for that information.
What's fair is fair.

petertenthije

Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:15 am

What happened to the Babylon 5 movie that rumours keep coming up only to dissappear again. I would love to see B5 on the big screen!
Attamottamotta!

AerospaceFan
Topic Author

Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:17 am

Quoting Petertenthije (Reply 11):
What happened to the Babylon 5 movie that rumours keep coming up only to dissappear again. I would love to see B5 on the big screen!

I know that they've done TV movies, but I haven't heard much about a theatrical release. I would look forward to such a movie, provided that JMS is given free rein on story, characters, dialogue, and casting.  Smile
What's fair is fair.