VSlover

What Is The One Thing You Hate Most About Your Job

Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:59 am

as i sit here doing the one thing i absolutely hate about my job, i was wondering what that thing is for you?

for me is it the time-entry system. we have to track what we do and enter it in to the system that was the firm can bill clients appropriately. we have to keep track of how much time is spent but also provide a narrative for work done.

what is awful is i generally wait until the day it is due to enter in a week's worth of time...and with some 35 clients on my plate, my days can get messy. other attorneys sitting near me seem to agree with me on this being the worst aspect too.

cosec59

RE: What Is The One Thing You Hate Most About Your Job

Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:00 am

Quoting VSLover (Thread starter):

The fact it ends in 3 and a half weeks
Rules are for the obedience of fools but for the guidance of wise men

LGWspeedbird

Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:05 am

Passengers!!!!! especially when they ask stupid questions!!!! (Although I do understand they are vital for our business).
upcoming flights LHR-LAX-HNL-SFO-LHR

mhodgson

Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:06 am

Everything  Sad

Low pay, menial, surrounded by arrogant sales people who earn almost twice as much as we do and earn commission and prizes on top of that...

Roll on September, when I quit and follow my lifelong ambition!
No trees were harmed by this message. However, several million electrons were terribly inconvenienced

Matt72033

Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:07 am

getting up for it!
filler

andz

Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:25 am

I work for a medical equipment company as a product manager and I have 2 pet hates:

Prima donna anaesthetists and cardiologists who think that because they are doctors and you are not they can treat you like absolute crap. They make appointments and don't arrive, they will take a phone call in the middle of a meeting and get up and leave, never to return.

Nursing staff who call you in the middle of the night complaining that your equipment must be faulty because it is giving an alarm... "no it's not the patient, he is fine" (then why is he in ICU???)
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

Molykote

Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:27 am

I work night shift in a rapid response AOG support environment.

My only dislike is slow nights when I have little to do. I'd rather have my dick kicked in for a full 12 hour shift. It makes the night go faster and I enjoy being productive.
Speedtape - The aspirin of aviation!

Logan22L

Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:32 am

we have to keep track of how much time is spent but also provide a narrative for work done.

what is awful is i generally wait until the day it is due to enter in a week's worth of time...and with some 35 clients on my plate, my days can get messy.

At my previous job it sucked - we had to turn in worksheets for each project weekly.

Now, we have electronic timekeeping. We just enter the appropriate project code and hours. No narrative. Also, our company policy is to keep these up-to-date daily, as we get audited by the government. So, it takes me about 30 seconds every day.

As for the rest of my job, I love it.
"The deeper you go, the higher you fly. The higher you fly, the deeper you go."

stuckinMAF

Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:34 am

No windows.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity" -Sigmund Freud

scott2187

Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:38 am

Quoting StuckinMAF (Reply 8):
No windows.

I'm with you on that one...I go out to lunch just so I can remember what the outside looks like. It's also nice to get away when I'm at lunch.
“Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work.”

Airportgal

Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:54 am

the commute..... but the job's great!

here's a little giggle for ya, when you think your job sucks...

When you have an "I Hate My Job" day, try this. On your way home from work, stop at your pharmacy and go to the thermometer section and purchase a rectal thermometer made by Johnson and Johnson. Be very sure you get this brand.

When you get home, lock your doors, draw the curtains and disconnect the phone so you will not be disturbed. Change into very comfortable pajamas and sit in your favorite chair, carefully open the package and remove the thermometer.

Now, carefully place it on a table or a surface so that it will not become chipped or broken. Now the fun part begins - Take out the literature and read it carefully. You will notice that in small print there is a statement, "Every rectal thermometer made by Johnson &Johnson is personally tested."

Now, close your eyes and repeat out loud five times, "I am so thankful that I do not work for quality control at Johnson and Johnson!"

NOW, HAVE A NICE DAY AND REMEMBER, THERE IS ALWAYS SOMEONE
ELSE WITH A JOB THAT IS WORSE THAN YOURS!!!!!!!

MattRB

Fri Feb 03, 2006 5:20 am

That it's my job.
Aviation is proof that given, the will, we have the capacity to achieve the impossible.

EWROwznj00

Fri Feb 03, 2006 5:20 am

I work in retail. Oh lordy, does it suck. Not only is it retail, I have to deal with rich snotty customers that want their suger honey iced tea 5 minutes ago.  banghead 

I'm going back to school for my MBA, hopefully that will save me from Dante's 8th circle of hell.
Yes, there is a typo in my username. No need to point it out.

SAIL52115

Fri Feb 03, 2006 5:26 am

In my last job: My sales manager. All about her and her alone. And she aimed to steal thunder while putting me down at every chance she could get. Oh, she belittled me in public at 2 sales mtgs.

Nice.

Now I am self employed and make 4X as much money as that job. And I e-mail her my commission stmts whenever possible.

And no, I am really not a vindictive bastard. I just like being right when someone is so egregiously WRONG!

PIA777

Fri Feb 03, 2006 5:34 am

Working late and I know us A.netters love to travel but I received over
100K in DL skymiles last year. Thats too much traveling.

PIA777
GO CUBS!!

carmenlu15

Fri Feb 03, 2006 5:39 am

Mmhh... not having one at the moment?
Don't expect to see me around that much (if at all) -- the contact link should still work, though.

jafa39

Fri Feb 03, 2006 5:40 am

we have to keep track of how much time is spent but also provide a narrative for work done.

Man that just sucks!!! I refuse to do that in my current job, I asked the question: "Do you want me to work, or write about work?" and got away with it.

Now, the only part of my job that sucks...is dealing with govt, some people are fine but I find govt processes quite frustrating.
We, the undersigned, do hereby consent.....

VSlover

Fri Feb 03, 2006 5:42 am

Quoting Jafa39 (Reply 16):

Man that just sucks!!! I refuse to do that in my current job, I asked the question: "Do you want me to work, or write about work?" and got away with it.

ha, but this is a corporate law firm, so the only things that matter are money, money, how much you bill so we can make more money.

thats just how it is, but it still is a royal pain trying to recollect everything i did last tuesday on the off chance i forgot to write it all down that day!

Dougloid

Fri Feb 03, 2006 6:00 am

I hate my boss because I can't get him to buy all my crappy excuses.

I'm self employed
If you believe in coincidence, you haven't looked close enough-Joe Leaphorn

FlyKev
Crew

Fri Feb 03, 2006 6:47 am

Hmm, management is high, but I think the customers are what annoys me most.
Spare a thought for the poor retail assistants in your local supermarket!
The white zone is for immediate loading and unloading of passengers only

eaglekeeper101

Fri Feb 03, 2006 6:50 am

My job would be perfect, so long as pilots behaved themselves and stopped breaking our airplanes.

Of course, then my job would be fiction as well.
"The earth is but one country, and mankind its citizens." - Bahá'u'lláh

usnseallt82

Fri Feb 03, 2006 6:50 am

The fact that its on a damn Air Force base right now.  headache 
Crye me a river

eaglekeeper101

Fri Feb 03, 2006 7:32 am

Quoting Usnseallt82 (Reply 21):
The fact that its on a damn Air Force base right now

HEY now!  Angry

Ok, most clubs on AF bases suck, and Navy bases get McDonalds. I'll grant you those  Smile
"The earth is but one country, and mankind its citizens." - Bahá'u'lláh

ABfemme

Fri Feb 03, 2006 7:33 am

As I work in the NHS, the one thing I can definitely say I hate about my job is the polititics and S**T that is dished out to us nursing staff on a day to day basis. The nursing care now in England has become secondary to targets and saving money - That is not why I do what I do.

Nuff said (I can feel my blood pressure going up as I type this )

irked 
Women do not have hot flushes, they have power surges

sunshine79

Fri Feb 03, 2006 7:36 am

I hate everything about my job. I have to justify stupid bank charges, try to get customers into even more debt than they already are in, have to sit in a cold dark call centre all day with the blinds closed. I don't even know why we have windows. I'd much rather be on the move all day, I don't like sitting all day at work.
Formerly alcregular, Why drive when you can fly?

Pe@rson

Fri Feb 03, 2006 7:37 am

Quoting Sunshine79 (Reply 24):
I'd much rather be on the move all day

That would have been fine, but for the fact that you're sitting down now.  Silly
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

sunshine79

Fri Feb 03, 2006 7:40 am

Quoting Pe@rson (Reply 25):
That would have been fine, but for the fact that you're sitting down now

Yeah it's ok to be sitting down at home, but I preferred running around airports and hotels than being behind a desk. Anyway, who said I'm sitting down right now?
Formerly alcregular, Why drive when you can fly?

jafa39

Fri Feb 03, 2006 7:49 am

Quoting FlyKev (Reply 19):
Spare a thought for the poor retail assistants in your local supermarket!

I am always very nice to them, I have seen my father-in-law treat them like serfs far too often...OK so the customer is always right but they can be soooo wrong too!
We, the undersigned, do hereby consent.....

usnseallt82

Fri Feb 03, 2006 7:51 am

Quoting Eaglekeeper101 (Reply 22):
Ok, most clubs on AF bases suck, and Navy bases get McDonalds. I'll grant you those

The club out here isn't too bad, but the base has about 20 million people crammed into about 1 square mile. Its pretty pathetic how packed it is........but the golf course, as always, has plenty of room.  yes 
Crye me a river

Leezyjet

Fri Feb 03, 2006 7:53 am

I hate the varying hours and combination of earlies/lates/days/nights. It plays total havoc with your body's circadian rythams.

You never get into a fixed pattern as it constantly changes from day to day and week to week so I end up constantly feeling tired and exhausted, no matter how much or how little sleep I get.

The shift work also means little time for a social life. I hate it on Friday nights when Radio 1 are playing the Essential Selection (thats the only way I know what day it is too when I hear that) and people are callnig up saying how they are going out to have a good time, and I'm stuck at work !!. I've lost touch with loads of friends from working shifts.

Sometimes the cheap flights just don't make up for it.

Sad
"She Rolls, 45 knots, 90, 135, nose comes up to 20 degrees, she's airborne - She flies, Concorde Flies"

searpqx

Fri Feb 03, 2006 7:57 am

Quoting MattRB (Reply 11):
That it's my job.

Pretty much says it. But its only temporary now, they love me so I get away with murder, and I'm getting a huge bonus. I can live with it for another 2 months.
"The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity"

ANCFlyer

Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:50 pm

Quoting Usnseallt82 (Reply 21):
The fact that its on a damn Air Force base right now.  headache 

rotfl  I feel the same way every time I have to go to Elmendorf AFB for anything - damned Air Farce SPs . . . . they always call me "Chief". "I'm not a Chief damnit, I'm a Sergeant Major - get it right you little E1 puke! See that symbol on that ID - yeah - that's the ARMY crest . . . in the Army an E9 is a Sergeant Major damnit" . . . .  wink  I'd tell him to drop and give me 20 but I think he'd probably just hand me a $20 bill  laughing 

Quoting Eaglekeeper101 (Reply 22):
HEY now!  mad 

Wow!  rotfl 

My job: Stupid Tourists, Stupid Tourists and . . . . Stupid Tourists.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

L-188

Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:54 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 31):
I'd tell him to drop and give me 20 but I think he'd probably just hand me a $20

Well the air force is supposedly the most like a college dorm out of any of the services.

I am still pissed at them because of the extra money they got for living in the same Army barracks I did.

But the thing I hate about my job is that it is a contract job and it is ending this month. Which makes the future uncertain and hard to plan for. I thoght I was getting sacked today but I got extended for two weeks to cover for somebody on vacation.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

CaptainJon

Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:00 pm

Well not that I am complaining but being paid to sit at my desk for eight hours a day and do nothing isn't bad--but gets boring real quick. Back in my college days when I sat around and did nothing and didn't get paid, for some reason it was more enjoyable. But other than that, getting up for it sucks. It seems like with each day of the week, I need more and more sleep.

But the thing I truely do hate is the lack of money. I know everyone says it that we're never paid enough but I found out the uneducated secretary makes only 50 cents less than I do--I have a bachelor of science degree, do more technical work, and yet, she makes much as i do more or less. very bother some which is why i am so bored, they dont give me anything challenging and i am bored with my job, but the benefits i get are incredible. i just graduated college so i can't really complain now, can i?

ltbewr

Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:27 pm

I work as a Legal Assistant in the NYC office of a major law firm. What I hate most is that you have to work enough billable hours to keep the bosses happy and the carp you get if your hours are not to the level they want. That is despite they don't keep up their share of responsibility to make sure they give me enough work.

AsstChiefMark

Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:31 pm

Dead children.

Mark
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

PIA777

Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:38 pm

Another thing I hate is since I travel so much, Expense Reports.

PIA777
GO CUBS!!

AR1300

Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:04 pm

old ladies.They drive me nuts!  Angry

Mike
You are now free to move about the cabin

JoKeR

Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:47 pm

My Boss, an absolute wan*er!!! I am not the only one either!
Kafa, čaj, šraf?

HAWK21M

Fri Feb 03, 2006 5:48 pm

Night Shifts because its tough resting in the Day.But then theres always some compromise everywhere.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

rodge

Fri Feb 03, 2006 6:03 pm

Sounds like we have the same job, what is it you do exactly?
Smile

cornish

Fri Feb 03, 2006 6:10 pm

for me is it the time-entry system. we have to track what we do and enter it in to the system that was the firm can bill clients appropriately. we have to keep track of how much time is spent but also provide a narrative for work done.

Same problem i hate the most with my job - that and far too much quality assurance paperwork Sad
Just when I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, it was some B*****d with a torch bringing me more work

Nordair

Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:28 pm

Dealing with those people possessing an overinflated sense of self entitlement.
"It is never legitimate to use the words of scripture to promote a loveless agenda." - Right Rev. Dr. Peter Short

jasepl

Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:40 pm

Quoting Cornish (Reply 41):
Same problem i hate the most with my job - that and far too much quality assurance paperwork

Oh thank God all that's beyond me now! Best thing about going independent is that I no longer have to account for every second of my day and that I can let paperwork standards lapse a bit!  Wink

On the downside, it's the effing new kids who drive me crackers. Think they know bloody everything. They all deserve to be shot, drawn and quartered.
Thank God for gun control!  old  hissyfit 

seb146

Sun Feb 05, 2006 4:20 am

I have a part time job at McDonalds. I hate when I look at a customer and say "May I take your order?" and they look at me like:

1. I am crazy
2. What the hell am I (me) doing here?
3. What the hell am I (the customer) supposed to do now?

GO CANUCKS!!
Patriotic and Proud Liberal

Twistedwhisper

Sun Feb 05, 2006 4:25 am

The fact that I'm the only one under 30. And that 80% of my co workers are 55+ and grandparents.
Read between the lines.

iflyatldl

Sun Feb 05, 2006 4:36 am

Data entry-Especially for budgets and forecasts. Monotonous and tedious!  Angry
Ah, Summer, Fenway Park, Boston Red Sox and Beer.....

united905

Sun Feb 05, 2006 8:45 am

I hate the 40 year old babes I have to work with.For f...ks Sake wont they grow up.
thank you for flying united

pilot kaz

Sun Feb 05, 2006 8:46 am

Let me start it first then I will tell you  Wink
-

sleekjet

Sun Feb 05, 2006 8:52 am

I teach middle school students. The part I hate the most is that we are expected to solve ALL of our discipline problems. Normally the ass't principals are there just for that purpose. The two at my school don't want any part of your bad students.

14 more weeks and I'm retired...after 36 years of doing this.
II Cor. 4:17-18