N808NW
Topic Author

What If You Enter The U.S Drunk?

Fri Feb 03, 2006 7:30 am

A thought crossed my mind today about what if a few underage (21, U.S) people enter the U.S on say BA or AF and have a few to many drinks on the flight where it is legal... because in England or France they are of legal drinking age. So, when they go through customs they are still very drunk. I suppose nothing would happen to them if they don’t get caught, but what if they did? How would it be different if they were or weren’t American citizens?

-Jason  swirl 
All flights have great IFE...get yourself a window seat, thats something no PTV can beat! flew 808 Pacific an Atlanic

goboeing

RE: What If You Enter The U.S Drunk?

Fri Feb 03, 2006 7:32 am

The more I think about it, this is basically a non-aviation question. If Canada had a drinking age lower than the U.S. (does it? I think it's 18) and you crossed the border drunk at the age of 18-20 it'd be the same situation.

Sabena332

Fri Feb 03, 2006 7:37 am

I can imagine that nothing will happen because you drunk in a country where it is legal to drink under 21.

The same for smoking weed in Holland, I can smoke myself completely stoned there and enter the Federal Republic of Germany in this condition, nobody can say anything as long as I am not driving or carrying dope with me.

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

ryangooner

Fri Feb 03, 2006 7:43 am

Quoting N808NW (Thread starter):
people enter the U.S on say BA or AF and have a few to many drinks on the flight where it is legal..

Quoting N808NW (Thread starter):
So, when they go through customs they are still very drunk.

Its totally illegal to be drunk on an aircraft no matter what age!

So they may not even get to customs!!!

Ryan
ooh to ooh to be ooh to be a gooner!

N808NW
Topic Author

Fri Feb 03, 2006 7:44 am

Yeah... this dose belong in non av...I wasnt thinking. Anyway, America is full of pricks and they rule the country... I bet somthing would happen.

-Jason  swirl 
All flights have great IFE...get yourself a window seat, thats something no PTV can beat! flew 808 Pacific an Atlanic

VSlover

Fri Feb 03, 2006 7:45 am

Quoting Ryangooner (Reply 3):
Its totally illegal to be drunk on an aircraft no matter what age!

WTF?

then whats the point of flying business class?

NeilYYZ

Fri Feb 03, 2006 8:01 am

In Canada the drinking age in Ontario is 19. I live in Windsor, which is essentially 200 meters from Detroit and we get 19 year old Americans here all the time getting drunk because the age is lower. I have no idea what happens when they try to cross back over the border drunk, I think a lot of them spend the night here in Ontario. I worked at a club where the majority of people that entered showed me Michigan ID's, I know most of them were spending the night at the Days Inn just off the main strip where most of the bars are.

Personally, I am 20, and going to a few events in Michigan I have been extremely inebriated and American customs didn't seem to have a problem, they just told me to have a good time at the game, although I wasn't driving so that could be why.

- Neil
It may be too early to drink scotch... But it is NEVER too early to think about it...

MDorBust

Fri Feb 03, 2006 8:05 am

The legal answer:

You may be cited under public intoxication laws which are not age dependant... only based on you being... intoxicated... in public.

Drinking age restrictions are just that. A restriction against drinking. Once you've already done the drinking, the age restriction is rather moot.

There are always MIP charges though... so don't get caught holding one while under age.

On a side note, many states have a gaurdian waiver policy which usually state something to the effect that minors may posses/drink in the pressence and with the consent of a legal gaurdian.
"I KICKED BURNING TERRORIST SO HARD IN BALLS THAT I TORE A TENDON" - Alex McIlveen

ryangooner

Fri Feb 03, 2006 8:14 am

Quoting VSLover (Reply 5):
then whats the point of flying business class?

damn i see your point.........god bless "J"...!

Ryan
ooh to ooh to be ooh to be a gooner!

Newark777

Fri Feb 03, 2006 8:15 am

Quoting MDorBust (Reply 7):

You may be cited under public intoxication laws which are not age dependant... only based on you being... intoxicated... in public.

And if you are under 21, you will be cited for blowing anything above a .01, no matter how drunk you act. Trust me.

Harry
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?