Boeing Nut
Topic Author

Is It Time For The Return Of The Station Wagon?

Sun Feb 05, 2006 4:55 am

Superfly outta love this thread.  Big grin

Seriously though, other than 4X4 capability, there isn't much that an SUV can do that a station wagon wouldn't be able to do. With the bad PR SUV's are getting, as well as mileage, I say it's time for wagons to reemerge. Cars like a Ford Fusion Station Wagon, or a Chevrolet Impala Station Wagon.

Who's with me??  box 

stirthepot 
I'm not a real aeronautical engineer, I just play one on Airliners.net.

WrenchBender

RE: Is It Time For The Return Of The Station Wagon?

Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:01 am

Pay attention, Dodge has had the MAX out for a while. BTW its still a gas guzzler.

WrenchBender
Silly Pilot, Tricks are for kids.......

Boeing Nut
Topic Author

Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:10 am

Pay attention, that's a crossover, not a true station wagon. And they wouldn't guzzle as much.

dtwclipper

Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:11 am

I trades my Nissan Pathfinder for a Sable Wagon.

I ordered from the factory with every option available. Best car I ever owned.

I love my wagon, with the "wayback" seats!!!!
Compare New York Air, the Airline that works for your Business

jap

Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:14 am

Our previous car was a stationwagon (Fiat Palio Weekend)- we replaced it last year with a Fiat Panda... very comfortable and roomy car... not very stylish, but I LOVED it!  Smile I miss our stationwagon  Sad
Scandinavian chick with a scandinavian horse- oh yeah! :D

AvObserver

Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:20 am

While I'd like to agree, sales of the Chrysler Pacifica, Ford Freestyle and Dodge Magnum have been fairly tepid. People aren't yet giving up their SUVs for these, except maybe some of the largest ones. I'd actually like to see Ford bring back the late Crown Victoria Country Squire and Grand Marquis Colony Park full-size wagons axed during the height of minivan popularity. Since Ford still builds the Panther full-frame platform on which these were made, it would be reasonably economical to build a new wagon variant, assuming the old wagon body tooling has long since been discarded. Though these big country cruisers once sold in huge numbers, I doubt, however, there's enough of a viable market to resurrect them. Smaller wagons, of course, are another matter, and Ford should probably do a Fusion/Milan wagon because there were a lot of Taurus/Sable wagons sold over the last 20 years. Chevrolet already makes the Malibu Maxx, more like a wagon than a 5-door hatchback so I doubt there's room for an Impala wagon, also. Wagons have definitely made something of a comeback in the last decade but as of yet, aren't a strong enough category to really shake loyalists from minivans or SUVs.

SmithAir747

Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:21 am

Definitely, please bring them back!

Everyone here knows that I'm also a big station wagon lover. I grew up practically in the back of either of my large family's two station wagons (our 1978 Chrysler LeBaron Town & Country and 1976 Buick Century).

They handle so much more easily than larger vehicles, and don't use up as much fuel, because they are car-based (and don't require a whole new model design, just a tweaking of the base sedan's design). Wagons can haul quite a bit more than a standard sedan, without the excessive size or fuel burn of a minivan, van, or SUV. They are so much more stylish (and always have been). Wagons can haul the luggage, the month's groceries, the camping equipment, or the DIY supplies, or a lot of people, equally well.

My mom just went back to driving a station wagon, and we both love it so much. It has so much room (especially for my 5 pieces of luggage which must be transported back and forth to the airport for my frequent FWA-London trips).

Someday, if I move back to the USA after my London studies, I would love to get myself a nice station wagon to go with my retro 1970s bachelor pad!

SmithAir747
I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made... (Psalm 139:14)

Boeing Nut
Topic Author

Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:25 am

Quoting AvObserver (Reply 5):
While I'd like to agree, sales of the Chrysler Pacifica, Ford Freestyle and Dodge Magnum have been fairly tepid.

I know, I'm just playin' here.

petertenthije

Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:41 am

Return, have they ever left?

signed
Europe

Wink
Attamottamotta!

2H4

Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:35 am

I really like the early to mid-90s Volvo turbo wagons....back when they had that cool, angular, edgy look:

...The 240hp wasn't bad, either.

2H4

Intentionally Left Blank

iowaman

Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:49 am

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 9):
I really like the early to mid-90s Volvo turbo wagons....back when they had that cool, angular, edgy look:

vomit 

eaglekeeper101

Sun Feb 05, 2006 7:26 am

I currently drive a '89 Volvo 740 SW. Best 450 quid I've ever paid for a used car. It's the third station wagon I've owned. I would love a BMW station wagon or a Dodge Magnum next!
"The earth is but one country, and mankind its citizens." - Bahá'u'lláh