Alessandro
Topic Author

Islam The Most Intolerant Religion?

Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:05 am

I recall the destruction of the ancient Buddha statues in Afghanistan, I remember Egypt complaining about this and refering to their pyramids and
other old artifacts, but what about the rest of the muslim world did they condemn this? How did Bhuddists feel about this and how did they react?
From New Yorqatar to Califarbia...

bravo45

RE: Islam The Most Intolerant Religion?

Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:08 am

Let me say this, some delebrate actions are intolerable, these cartoons were REPUBLISHED and people are defending that.
The reaction of the muslim world is another debate.

Alessandro
Topic Author

Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:12 am

It was deliberate as the destruction of the Buddha statues?

[Edited 2006-02-04 21:12:59]

Gilligan

Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:15 am

Absolutely and without a doubt the most intolerant religion. Even the most ardent born again Christians don't call for the death of someone for a cartoon or book.
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, and a road that goes forever, I'm going to Texas!

bravo45

Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:17 am

Quoting Alessandro (Reply 2):
It was deliberate as the destruction of the Buddha statues?

Was it not???? they did it twice (atleast).
They are accepted to be extremists and fanatics all over the world, its time for 'sane' people to apply the same lables to these bas**rds, but by reading what the majority here has said its easy to see the problem dosnot only lie with the muslims (and muslims and Islam are not the same when I say problems).

N1120A

Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:18 am

How about you stop posting all these absolutely ignorant, flamebait threads? One of the most religiously accepting eras of history was the age of the Umayid Empire that stretched from Iran to Spain and was tolerant and accepting of all religions, particularly Judiasm. That ended when in the name of Christianity, the Spanish brutally ended this era and not only surpressed Islam, but also Judiasm and all other groups that had flourished in the era. Islam is an extremely tolerant religion, it is the people that the west has pushed to the top of the religion that are intolerant
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

Jean Leloup

Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:20 am

While I, like most of the world, am disgusted by the extremist muslim reaction to the cartoons, I think it's deeply misguided to try and award a 'title' of 'most intolerant religion'. There are lots of religions out there, and lots of sects within them. Many we don't know about, many which are small, etc. It also depends on the context, as some religions are more 'mainstream' in some areas and more 'extreme' in others. Just as an example, most people think of Buddhists as peacefeul, but would it be fair to say that in a sweeping way in Sri Lanka? Obviously not.

Any effort to determine "the most intolerant religion" is not going to be a worthwhile pursuit.

JL
Next flight.... who knows.

bravo45

Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:20 am

Quoting Gilligan (Reply 3):
Even the most ardent born again Christians don't call for the death of someone for a cartoon or book.

Yeah just killed all muslims (and jews) when the crusaders invaded Jeruselum not even for a cartoon, just for their faith.

Like I am saying again and again, there is a difference between Muslims and Islam. By that I mean the reaction of the muslims world.
You are just like them by supporting the actions that triggered the reaction in the first place.

Boeing4ever

Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:21 am

Quoting BR076 (Reply 6):
Islam is the greatest threat to the civil world,

Easy there. Let's not turn this into a religion vs. religion war.

There are lessons to be learned here, mostly for the Islamic community. And many peaceful Muslims with level heads are taking note.

In the end, I believe good will come from this.

airplane B4e-Forever New Frontiers airplane 

mohamed1

Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:22 am

Quoting Gilligan (Reply 3):
Absolutely and without a doubt the most intolerant religion. Even the most ardent born again Christians don't call for the death of someone for a cartoon or book.

And again , that isn't right. Not everything someone does is right. Sad enought that it happens today many times by muslims and the majoirty , who know this is wrong , don't do about it .

Alessandro
Topic Author

Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:23 am

N1120A, still everyone evade my question, what was the reaction from the muslim world when talibans destroyed some of the most priced artifacts the buddhist had. I do remember the Egyptian response but not the rest of the
muslim world? Found this, interesting, http://www.iran-press-service.com/ar.../mar_2001/taleban_statues_3401.htm
So the Iranis and Egyptians where the only one?

[Edited 2006-02-04 21:28:08]

Jean Leloup

Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:25 am

Quoting Bravo45 (Reply 8):
Yeah just killed all muslims (and jews) when the crusaders invaded Jeruselum not even for a cartoon, just for their faith.

Ok, so because Christians did it EIGHT-HUNDRED YEARS AGO (and all reasonable Christians regret this), it's ok for Muslims to do it today? You WANT to be held to the standards of the middle ages? Bravo, you are not doing your religion any favours. You are disgracing it, by talking this way.

JL

Boeing4ever

Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:25 am

Quoting Mohamed1 (Reply 11):
And again , that isn't right. Not everything someone does is right. Sad enought that it happens today many times by muslims and the majoirty , who know this is wrong , don't do about it .

One of the level heads I was talking about in my reply 10 (before it's deleted for referring to a deleted post).

In the end, this is going to cause some soul searching...good can come from this.

N1120A

Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:29 am

Quoting Alessandro (Reply 12):
N1120A, still everyone evade my question, what was the reaction from the muslim world when talibans destroyed some of the most priced artifacts the buddhist had. I do remember the Egyptian response but not the rest of the
muslim world?

I don't think it was really known by most.

Quoting Jean Leloup (Reply 13):

Ok, so because Christians did it EIGHT-HUNDRED YEARS AGO (and all reasonable Christians regret this), it's ok for Muslims to do it today?

Ok Jean, how about 50 years ago in Iran?

airxliban

Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:31 am

I read a book on this recently, it was called "The Trouble with Modern Islam" by Irshad Manji, a Pakistani lesbian. I didn't really like the book to be honest (mostly due to the tone) but thought it brought up some interesting arguments.

One thing she mentioned that was interesting was that there was some sort of disagreement about the interpretation of the Koran. In order to prevent future disagreements and violence, certain interpretations were standardised so in that future no one could touch them.

There were a lot of other relevant points made and i can't remember all of them but perhaps one of our Muslim friends could clarify what I was trying to talk about above.

One interesting thing that I learned about Islam was the concept of "ijtihad" which I believe refers to the right that Muslims have to update religion based on societal conditions of the modern day. Certain kinds of ijtihad are not allowed by shari'a though. I really shouldn't be going on about something that I know little about, so here's hoping for an insightful and level headed discussion in this thread.
PARIS, FRANCE...THE BEIRUT OF EUROPE.

Jean Leloup

Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:32 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 15):
Ok Jean, how about 50 years ago in Iran?

Don't you dare take me out of context and, as usual, make this about Iran. I responded directly to a statement that justified this by making reference to a 13th century crusade. My statement was thus a perfectly appropriate reply to his ridiculous argument, and has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with Iran. Maybe you should read the whole thread and see what I posted above about the inappropriateness of making comparisons like this AT ALL.

JL

Klaus

Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:35 am

No, but Islam is in its most intolerant phase right now - just like Christianity a few hundred years ago, when jews and free spirits had to flee to the islamic countries to stay alive.

The islamo-hooligans (still a minority in their respective countries) have done their own religion a big disservice today, effectively confirming the insulting overtones in the rather simplistic cartoons they're protesting against.

N1120A

Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:37 am

Quoting CasInterest (Reply 9):
And with that I have lost respect for Islam. It's not even worth pig crap

1. Please respect each other and choose your words wisely. Each user has their own point of view, and these views must be respected.

2. Do not provoke other users or incite trouble.

6. Do not post slanderous or defamatory statements. These include, but are not limited to, false or malicious statements injurious to a person's reputation, job, family or private life.

7. You agree that you will not use this discussion forum to post any statement which is knowingly false, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, graphic, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy or otherwise in violation of any law.

bravo45

Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:37 am

Quoting Boeing4ever (Reply 5):
B4e-Forever New Frontiers

Hey there,
You don't need to show any of your colors, having noticed your posts over the years I don't need a reminder of how insulting you can be. Atleast accept that you don't respect anybody else (especially when he is a muslim).

Quoting Boeing4ever (Reply 10):
Easy there. Let's not turn this into a religion vs. religion war.

Only that was a little surprising.

Boeing4ever

Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:42 am

Quoting Bravo45 (Reply 19):
Hey there,
You don't need to show any of your colors, having noticed your posts over the years I don't need a reminder of how insulting you can be. Atleast accept that you don't respect anybody else (especially when he is a muslim).

Forgive me if I don't show respect for the mentality that leads to burnt embassies, or the calling for the deaths of about 300 milion EU citizens over a cartoon, or somehow challenging the rights to free speech in another country.

As if the Danes made a leaflet drop of the cartoon over Mecca...
 Yeah sure  Yeah sure  Yeah sure  Yeah sure  Yeah sure

As for the colors I show...they are now just red and white...those of the Danish flag...do you have something against that?

Alessandro
Topic Author

Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:42 am

I done a bit of research on wikipedia and it turned out that 54 states condemned the taliban actions when the destroyed the buddha statues, including KSA and other. Only one not to was the ministry of
religion in Pakistan and the taliban themselves.

bravo45

Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:44 am

Quoting Jean Leloup (Reply 13):
Ok, so because Christians did it EIGHT-HUNDRED YEARS AGO (and all reasonable Christians regret this), it's ok for Muslims to do it today? You WANT to be held to the standards of the middle ages? Bravo, you are not doing your religion any favours. You are disgracing it, by talking this way.

The guy said 'no christian', I gave a quick example to prove he is wrong, doesn't mean that was the only time or the last time. He gave a point I proved him wrong, do you want more recent examples, Bosnia, Kosovo etc etc. Appears like you would just drag anything you can?

casinterest

Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:57 am

N1120A.
I stated my opinion on the religion, if someone said it about wiccans or satanity, no one would care.

Don't go posting stuff about my personal opinions, I didn't slander anyone.
I just said I have lost respect for islam. And in my book it isn't worth much at all with all the hatred it breeds.
Older than I just was ,and younger than I will soo be.

casinterest

Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:01 am

Interesting post from the Fark web site that probably belongs in this thread about recent world events. There are probably counter examples in other religions, but here is a start:

2006-02-04 03:33:08 PM Acclivus

from Boortz yesterday:

Muslim outrage huh. OK ... let's do a little historical review. Just some lowlights:

* Muslims fly commercial airliners into buildings in New York City. No Muslim outrage.
* Muslim officials block the exit where school girls are trying to escape a burning building because their faces were exposed. No Muslim outrage.
* Muslims cut off the heads of three teenaged girls on their way to school in Indonesia. A Christian school. No Muslim outrage.
* Muslims murder teachers trying to teach Muslim children in Iraq. No Muslim outrage.
* Muslims murder over 80 tourists with car bombs outside cafes and hotels in Egypt. No Muslim outrage.
* A Muslim attacks a missionary children's school in India. Kills six. No Muslim outrage.
* Muslims slaughter hundreds of children and teachers in Beslan, Russia. Muslims shoot children in the back. No Muslim outrage.
* Let's go way back. Muslims kidnap and kill athletes at the Munich Summer Olympics. No Muslim outrage.
* Muslims fire rocket-propelled grenades into schools full of children in Israel. No Muslim outrage.
* Muslims murder more than 50 commuters in attacks on London subways and busses. Over 700 are injured. No Muslim outrage.
* Muslims massacre dozens of innocents at a Passover Seder. No Muslim outrage.
* Muslims murder innocent vacationers in Bali. No Muslim outrage.
* Muslim newspapers publish anti-Semitic cartoons. No Muslim outrage
* Muslims are involved, on one side or the other, in almost every one of the 125+ shooting wars around the world. No Muslim outrage.
* Muslims beat the charred bodies of Western civilians with their shoes, then hang them from a bridge. No Muslim outrage.
* Newspapers in Denmark and Norway publish cartoons depicting Mohammed. Muslims are outraged.

Dead children. Dead tourists. Dead teachers. Dead doctors and nurses. Death, destruction and mayhem around the world at the hands of Muslims .. no Muslim outrage ... but publish a cartoon depicting Mohammed with a bomb in his turban and all hell breaks loose.

bravo45

Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:05 am

Quoting Alessandro (Reply 21):
Only one not to was the ministry of
religion in Pakistan and the taliban themselves.

Only one second search at google was enough to shoot you down.

http://www.rawa.org/statues.htm

"Even neighbouring Pakistan, the Taliban's closest ally, called the Afghan ambassador here to register a strong protest."

"The team includes the ambassadors to neighbouring Pakistan from Greece and Italy, the French charge d'affaires for Afghanistan, plus members of the Islamabad-based Society for the Preservation of Afghanistan's Cultural Heritage.

The delegation called on Taliban Information and Culture Minister Qudratullah Jamal on Monday morning, a team member said."

Alessandro From

You are absolutely disgusting, don't say you missed it, you ment to do it. I personally remember that time.
Thank you for showing your colors so early in the discussion.

Quoting Boeing4ever (Reply 20):
do you have something against that?

You are soo missing the point, I am not against any of that. You are, and more than that you refuse to accept it, you go above and beyond to insult the beliefs of others and yet would consider yourself a tolerant person. Amazing!!

Gilligan

Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:07 am

Quoting Bravo45 (Reply 8):

And as stated above that was 800 years ago, and between people that are so long dead I can't trace my family tree back to them. How long to you plan to hold a grudge?
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, and a road that goes forever, I'm going to Texas!

Emirates773ER

Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:08 am

Boeing4ever[/quote]

Designated as Islamophobic.
The Truth is Out There ---- Face It!!!!!

bravo45

Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:09 am

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/1216110.stm
Heres some thing from a more 'familiar to you' site.

dtwclipper

Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:11 am

Quoting Emirates773ER (Reply 27):
Boeing4ever

Designated as Islamophobic.[/quote]

If being against this insane violence makes me "Isamophobic"...please add me to that list!
Compare New York Air, the Airline that works for your Business

777236ER

Being the most intollerant religion certainly is some feat. Religions don't generally have a good track record of tollerance.

If all books were burnt and all religions banned, we wouldn't have this problem...
Your bone's got a little machine

bravo45

Quoting Gilligan (Reply 26):
Gilligan

I have responed to that earlier.

bravo45

Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:13 am

Quoting Dtwclipper (Reply 29):
If being against this insane violence makes me "Isamophobic"...please add me to that list!

No but being a defender of repeated insults (publishing the disputed cartoon KNOWING they are insulting ) is.
So decide for yourself.

777236ER

Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:14 am

Quoting Emirates773ER (Reply 27):
Designated as Islamophobic.

When a mere cartoon is enough to get someone murdered in the name of Islam, I think it's perfectly just to be scared of Islam. When Islam attempts to destroy the liberal freedoms the West was built upon, the free world should be scared of Islam.

dtwclipper

Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:16 am

Quoting Bravo45 (Reply 32):
No but being a defender of repeated insults (publishing the disputed cartoon KNOWING they are insulting ) is.
So decide for yourself.

No, I am a defender of the freedom of the Press. I have already said that the cartoons were just in bad taste.

The reaction in the Muslim world is just violence.
Compare New York Air, the Airline that works for your Business

N1120A

Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:17 am

Quoting CasInterest (Reply 23):
I stated my opinion on the religion, if someone said it about wiccans or satanity, no one would care.

Sure they would

Don't go posting stuff about my personal opinions, I didn't slander anyone.

Read the entire rule

And in my book it isn't worth much at all with all the hatred it breeds.

The only thing that has been breeding hatred has been the actions of the west. There is nothing in the Koran that says strap a bomb to yourself and blow yourself up

casinterest

Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:18 am

The worst part about the cartoons, is that millions of Islam adherants are proving them true.

Religions are all about peace when you tow the line and adhere to it. Issues arise when there are clashes in ideology. Everyone claims to get along, but at the end, no one does because the ideology gets in the the way.
So many people are way to eager to kill or be killed over something that probably is no more real than the tooth fairy.

bravo45

Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:21 am

Quoting Dtwclipper (Reply 34):
No, I am a defender of the freedom of the Press.

Then thats the end of this part of the debate. I can agree with you on the other part. Most here would simply fuel it. I have to say I am amazed.
My point is just like denying holocaust is offlimits for good reasons, so should this sort of insult too.
But I there are too many here who would do anything to insult Islam to prove they are free. And yes!!! Tolerant.

b757300

Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:22 am

Some of the responses on this thread have proved my point.

Islam is stuck in the 12th Century and unless something drags them into the modern world, the consequences for them and the rest of the world are going to be disastrous.
"There is no victory at bargain basement prices."

bravo45

Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:24 am

Alessandro

I wonder where are you at?

casinterest

Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:24 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 35):
The only thing that has been breeding hatred has been the actions of the west. There is nothing in the Koran that says strap a bomb to yourself and blow yourself up

The actions of the west?
We buy oil from the middle east: They buy food.
We provide monetary aid for construction and poverty in the middle east: They buy guns.

we tried to ignore the middle east, however terrorism has brought it back.

We need oil, the middle east needs money. There are some very unfortunate ramifications of this however, in the end, when the oil is gone, the middle east will be left with it's poverty and inablilty to provide for all the people. Currently the west is nothing more than a scapegoat for much more serious issues in the countries of the Middle east.

777236ER

Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:27 am

Quoting Bravo45 (Reply 37):
My point is just like denying holocaust is offlimits for good reasons, so should this sort of insult too.

Denying the Holocaust is offlimits because it's stupid. There's an overwhelming amount of evidence to suggest it did happen! It's a bit like denying the existance of clouds.

No speech is offlimts in Europe.

bravo45

Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:28 am

Quoting CasInterest (Reply 40):
when the oil is gone, the middle east will be left with it's poverty and inablilty to provide for all the people.

It is when the oil is gone when the west will stop supporting and imposing the dictators and monarchs in the region, only then the people will have a chance, or when the people stand up to their governments.

Marco

Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:29 am

Yeah just killed all muslims (and jews) when the crusaders invaded Jeruselum not even for a cartoon, just for their faith

Bravo45, history is not black and white. For centuries and millenia, Christians have been living in the holy land, even before Mohammad was born. When the crusaders invaded local Christians were targeted as well as Muslims and Jews. In fact, many Christians fought alongside the Muslims in order to remove the crusaders from the holy land.

And the last part where say not even for a cartoon, but for their faith is somewhat contradictory. I would expect someone to go to greater lengths for their faith, not for a bunch of cartoons.

Again Bosnia, Herzegovina and the Balkan wars are not as black and white as you think.

Muslims need to demonstrate en masse against terrorism, extremism, hatred, bombings, rather than ignoring the problem. Yes it's a minority, but it's quite a vocal minority.

As for the drawings, yes I can understand why people are angry or why people in the west don't see it as a problem. Personally if someone did something similar with Jesus I would be very upset, so I guess I can see why Muslims might be upset. But their reaction to this situation is way over board...THERE ARE BIGGER FISH TO FRY!!
Proud to be an Assyrian!

casinterest

Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:29 am

Quoting Bravo45 (Reply 42):
It is when the oil is gone when the west will stop supporting and imposing the dictators and monarchs in the region, only then the people will have a chance, or when the people stand up to their governments.

we let the people of Palestine stand up, and they voted for Hamas.

bravo45

Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:30 am

Quoting 777236ER (Reply 41):
Denying the Holocaust is offlimits because it's stupid.

Quoting 777236ER (Reply 41):
No speech is offlimts in Europe.

Do I need to remind you of the contradiction ?

N1120A

Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:31 am

Quoting B757300 (Reply 38):
Some of the responses on this thread have proved my point.

Islam is stuck in the 12th Century and unless something drags them into the modern world, the consequences for them and the rest of the world are going to be disastrous.

Only 8 more to go B757300. 8 more posts of racism and violence

Quoting CasInterest (Reply 40):

The actions of the west?
We buy oil from the middle east: They buy food.
We provide monetary aid for construction and poverty in the middle east: They buy guns.

we tried to ignore the middle east, however terrorism has brought it back.

We need oil, the middle east needs money. There are some very unfortunate ramifications of this however, in the end, when the oil is gone, the middle east will be left with it's poverty and inablilty to provide for all the people. Currently the west is nothing more than a scapegoat for much more serious issues in the countries of the Middle east.

A single natural resource does not an economy make. Economic issues do not illustrate what the West has done in the Middle East, or rather, the economic issues you show are not done with that degree of simplicity. The West has supressed democracy and freedom in the Middle East because of economic issues and must stop doing so in order to quell the tide of poor who are doing the bidding of the greedy Middle Eastern aristocracy

casinterest

Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:31 am

Quoting Bravo45 (Reply 42):

Of course you forget, when the oil is gone, so will the money and trade. Everyone will watch as the people fight and kill to gain power. I have little faith in the future of the middle east post oil.

bravo45

Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:35 am

Quoting CasInterest (Reply 44):
we let the people of Palestine stand up, and they voted for Hamas.

So did the Israelis when they elected Ariel Sharon.

Quoting Marco (Reply 43):
In fact, many Christians fought alongside the Muslims in order to remove the crusaders from the holy land.

I agree, Muslims were stronger and provided leadership to the local christians. Muslims are fragmented now, should the west provide just leadership, you will find most muslims would follow the west to get rid of the extremism, instead (as a proof) see this forum, almost all non-muslims here support the insults to Islam.

kiwiinoz

Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:40 am

As with all things inter-racial, inter-religous, inter-cultural, this thread, not to mention what's going on around the world at the moment, demontrates a pretty distinct lack of cultural/religous understanding.

It is probably correct to say that Islam is one of the most restrictive religons in the world, in terms of what it deems as non-acceptable practice by it's followers. It is also a religon that holds in very high regard the concept of respect and worship for certain figures. Does this make it intolerant? In some ways but I think the situation is a tad more complex than that.

I am not surprised at some degree of negative reaction towards the publishing of these cartoons. You are right, no one in one country has the right to dictate the freedoms of those in another country, (except old GWB). However we as non-muslims have to understand the degree of hurt that this would cause devout members of the muslim community. We need to understand that muslims have a different mindset about such things, and we show our culutral/religous ignorance by being dismissive and saying, "get over it, it's our right to do whatever the hell we want"

Conversely, for the muslims, in the interests of continued success and their followers being able to live happily in this diverse world of ours, I believe improved education about the west and it's ways needs to be implemented. the problem is that the teaching of Islam decrees that our actions are often sinful, (especially mine!). Again it's about cultural understanding and knowing that we are not guided by the same set of rules.

777236ER

Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:40 am

Quoting Bravo45 (Reply 45):
Do I need to remind you of the contradiction ?

No, you don't. There's no contradiction. Anyone can deny the Holocaust didn't happen, just like anyone can deny clouds exist. That being said, just because you can say something doesn't mean it's not stupid.

Quoting Bravo45 (Reply 48):
instead (as a proof) see this forum

I haven't seen one thread by a single Muslim on this forum condemning death threats against a mere cartoonist and newspaper editor. I haven't seen one thread condemning the fascist behaviour of some vocal Muslims.